• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox series X or S please help me decide

Zero7

Ok, I already own a PS5 and PS is always my main console for multi platform titles alike. But I also like Xbox for some of the exclusive titles it offers, it has Game pass which is also great. I'm not that bothered about building up a maasive physical games collection, I do own a 4k TV though.

Anyhoo.. series X or S what do yoi think would suit me best?

Moogle11

Banned
X for sure, unless you’re on 1080p and plan to be for a long while anyway.

I have a PS5 and XSX and despite PS5 being my main (had an X1 for a year or so, got a gaming PC but barely touched Xbox games/gamepass) the XSX is shaping up to be my main this gen. Gamepass is a great value for someone like me who doesn’t collect or replay and I prefer the Xbox controller. 360 was my main the prior gen, so it’s just shifting back for me.

PS5 will get plenty of use though as I love many of Sony’s exclusives and have more real life friends for online co-op games on PS. If I had it to do over again I’d probably held off on PS5 for now. Played it a ton the first 3 weeks or so, but it’s looking more like I’ll be mostly sucked into Gamepass games this year. Don’t regret the money as it’s not like PS5 will be any cheaper later this year when I’d want it for the best version of Horizon Forbidden West anyway, the energy and time put into finding one just feels silly when it’s going to be little used for the next few months.

Ballthyrm

You should get a series X because you can't trust the devs to make the Serie S run correctly.
You will always have to wait for a patch that will never come or play in 720p because the game hasn't been optimised.

The series S is like third parties on Nintendo console. Yes it runs but barely and it's ugly.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
S is a great side console to a PS5. You're probably only using it for Gamepass and so you don't need the extra storage. The only remaining issue is if you're on 4K or 1080. If you're 4K or going to upgrade soon, get the X.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pay the extra $200 for Series X.

By the sounds of it, Series S isn't even that much difference than One X.

The key bumps from X over S is higher res and it seems many games are 60 fps on X and 30 on S.

If you don't care about high res and can live with 30, and saving $200 is important, just get S. But if you want more quality, X.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Buy the Series S and wait for the XBOX after the Series X by the time anyone needs an X the next one will be out

Jethalal

Banned
Generally I would say X but as you already have a main console, I would say wait. If you just want to play xbox titles, they'll probably be optimized for Series S and run pretty decently. So wait and see how S performs when the Xbox exclusives start rolling in.

cireza

Depends on the games you want to play and the TV.
If you want 4K and or BC games, the X is the right choice.
If you plan to get only Series games, and play on 1080 TV, the S is fine.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
My experience with the X has been limited. Just not enough games out that I want to play just yet. However, my prediction is that throughout the generation Xbox series S will fall into obscurity. Generation-proof yourself and go with the X. It's 200 dollars more but it'll save you from making another console purchase for a while.

I will say it has been rumored that a new Xbox console is in the works. If true it may be a reason to go with the S for now in hopes of getting the next definitive offering Xbox is offering maybe midgen.

Calverz

The fact you are on neogaf suggests to me it should be the x. I cheaped out and got the s thinking id have a 3080 gpu for my pc by now....but well....that backfired!

stitch1

X. If you have a 4K TV and want the better experience. Plus double the storage for all those gamepass games you wanna check out.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Since you already own a PS5, I would suggest a Series S personally. You can still get a good experience with it, and since you mentioned Game Pass it'll work out cheaper for you.

I would say if you dont have any xbox ,or xbox 360 discs you care about and your tv is nothing special just go with the s. If physical media is more your thing and you have a decent tv ,then go with the x.
If the s had a disc drive I would probably just go with that myself since my TVs are older. But I have too many 360 discs , xbox one discs and a few og xbox games . So no sale for me on the S. I plan on getting an x by years end.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You should get a series X because you can't trust the devs to make the Serie S run correctly.
You will always have to wait for a patch that will never come or play in 720p because the game hasn't been optimised.

The series S is like third parties on Nintendo console. Yes it runs but barely and it's ugly.
Is this a joke post? Do you own an S? 100% chance you don't and have never tried one.
I have 2 X and an S, the S is a viable option and actual runs games surprisingly well.
In the bedroom, at 49", games look great in most cases, especially ones optimized for x/s.
There are also tons of people on this board that are perfectly happy with the s.
The extreme type series s bashing on this board is just a bunch of either playstation hardcore desperate to slam the xbox brand, or the other group of elite xbox fans justifying thier superior purchase of the x, and it makes them feel more important.
(Not talking about the normal people with opinions on value, talking about the nut jobs that just run into threads calling the series s garbage / ruining next gen)

However, if money is no issue, and you have a 4k tv, no reason not to get the X. Small price increase over the lifespan of the console, with better overall performance and storage space.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Is this a joke post? Do you own an S? 100% chance you don't and have never tried one.
I have 2 X and an S, the S is a viable option and actual runs games surprisingly well.
In the bedroom, at 49", games look great in most cases, especially ones optimized for x/s.
There are also tons of people on this board that are perfectly happy with the s.
The extreme type series s bashing on this board is just a bunch of either playstation hardcore desperate to slam the xbox brand, or the other group of elite xbox fans justifying thier superior purchase of the x, and it makes them feel more important.
(Not talking about the normal people with opinions on value, talking about the nut jobs that just run into threads calling the series s garbage / ruining next gen)

However, if money is no issue, and you have a 4k tv, no reason not to get the X. Small price increase over the lifespan of the console, with better overall performance and storage space.

You shouldn't take what has come out as a good indication of what's going to happen.
WE still are in a transition phase and I look at what devs historically did when they got a less powerful console in their hand to take care of.
The answer to that is: they cut corners, load of them.

It doesn't matter if there isn't a lot of difference now.

In 5-6 years at the end of console cycle, it will be the difference between the game running or running like shit. See Cyberpunk 2077...

Last edited:
I’ve got a ps5 and picked up an s at launch. I came from just having a one x. Enjoying both new systems and have no regrets. If your not consumed with 4K, the s will serve you well.

Top Bottom