• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox series X or S please help me decide

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You shouldn't take what has come out as a good indication of what's going to happen.
WE still are in a transition phase and I look at what devs historically did when they got a less powerful console in their hand to take care of.
The answer to that is: they cut corners, load of them.

It doesn't matter if there isn't a lot of difference now.

In 5-6 years at the end of console cycle, it will be the difference between the game running or running like shit. See Cyberpunk 2077...

Except that, In this case, the resolution target is so different, it likely won't matter, both systems will be in the same place in regards to that.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
But then he'd have 1.5 TB space anyway... it's not like the console SSD deletes from reality when you by the expansion lol
No but 1.5TB with much lower specs, which I don't thing it's worth it and let be honest XSS SSD is for 3 bigger games, in this day and age, I feel like if the XSX would be more expensive it would not be simple like this, but in this situation it is. But maybe that's just me.

SkylineRKR

Form factor aside the Series X is better than the S in everything. Its almost twice as expensive but if you can afford it there is no reason to buy an S.

I have the S but thats because I have a PS5 which will be used as my main system. I might get an X down the line, when the first price drops are a thing but tbh I can't really place the system in my furniture lol. I hope we'll see a redesign in a few years.

Storage is shit on the S. But on X and PS5 its nothing great either. You probably need to upgrade all of them soon enough. I am going to expand my PS5 once the games pour in.

Own a 4K TV? Get the X, easy choice.

Gamepass has every Xbox exclusive, existing and upcoming, from the Xbox One generation onwards (or at least from the middle of it's generation), and they look incredible at 4K. They also have the OG Xbox and 360 exclusives, but not all of them, running at 4K and they seem to have aged well too.

That, and the plethora of AAA third party library should have your $500 investment on the Series X covered. Especially with some graphical powerhouses like Control, Yakuza and The Medium hitting this month.

Ribi

Why not buy a pc and enjoy the same things and with out new zoom future you'll have killed 2 birds with 1 stone

Aion002

I got an S because it was the only next gen console that was available at the time on the store for me, I will get a ps5 as soon as possible.

I think that the Series S is a great console, it is quiet and small, I play it on a 1080p tv so the 4k thingie doesn't affect me and I don't really care much about graphics.

With game pass the series s has an amazing price value if you don't care about graphics and don't need 6 or more big games installed on the console, the storage is limited, but not an issue for me, also, if you care, the series s has way less power consumption than the SX.

Anyway, if you buy the SS you have to know that you're not buying Microsoft main console for this gen, it is an entry point console, that will give you access to the Xbox library in a reasonable way, but that's it. For me that's enough.

TheKratos

If you have the money, space and 4ktv always the X. I have a PS5 and SS, the SS plays BC games with the One S as base and it's terrible. Optimized games run good though. But for 200 only difference I would go for the best.

Calverz

Don't you like the S?
I do. Dont get me wrong. Its small, super quiet and super cheap. I got 20% off through a friend’s staff discount. Its just that i had an x1x before so a lot of my bc games are downgraded. I intend to get a series x eventually to replace it.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone suggesting you get the S doesn't have your best interests at heart.

Get the X.
Is the Series S seriously that bad? If you have PS5 as your main console, I don't think S is a bad complement to it. It's essentially a Game Pass machine, which is what OP seemed to be looking for in their post. Just exclusives and not discs.

I honestly was considering the S myself eventually. I am not a person that cares too greatly over graphics, though.

ShivinN

Gold Member
I would go with the Series X if you want to future-proof your gaming for as long as possible. If cost is a factor I would just wait till I had the funds for the X. Now is a good time for that. After the holidays is typically a slow time for game releases.

Kataploom

Gold Member
No but 1.5TB with much lower specs, which I don't thing it's worth it and let be honest XSS SSD is for 3 bigger games, in this day and age, I feel like if the XSX would be more expensive it would not be simple like this, but in this situation it is. But maybe that's just me.
Then let's just save the games in an external disc or ssd if we want to play them again and are not playing them too frequently, what's wrong with that? You can't even have that option in the PS5.

Also, apart from RAM and GPU for lower resolution specs are basically the same than Series X. Most people is still rocking their HD or Full-HD TVs, 4K is very niche still in most of the world, so it's not even remotely an issue.

My only complain with Series S is that it won't run One X profile for games, but that doesn't have to do with power but business, when devs optimize for Series S they can go over 1440p as with some patches released.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Is the Series S seriously that bad? If you have PS5 as your main console, I don't think S is a bad complement to it. It's essentially a Game Pass machine, which is what OP seemed to be looking for in their post. Just exclusives and not discs.

I honestly was considering the S myself eventually. I am not a person that cares too greatly over graphics, though.

It's not bad, just a matter of whether you want/need 4K. Sounds like it would be good enough for you since you don't care much about graphics. I have a PS5 and went with an XSX. Even as a Gamepass machine I still want the best (and 4K) version of their exclusives and any other AAA games. I've also just ended up preferring going to back to gaming with my Xbox One Elite controller to the Dual Sense and like the Xbox UI better so I'll probably end up with the XSX being my main and PS5 mostly for exlclusives and online games I want to play with PS only friends. So I'm definitely glad I spent the extra money and went with the X.

S is totally fine and a nice option for people who are fine with 1080p overall or on their secondary console. Even more so if one's on a tight budget. So not knocking it at all. Just not for me or anyone else who does care about graphics and want 4k etc. even for their secondary console.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It's not bad, just a matter of whether you want/need 4K. Sounds like it would be good enough for you since you don't care much about graphics. I have a PS5 and went with an XSX. Even as a Gamepass machine I still want the best (and 4K) version of their exclusives and any other AAA games. I've also just ended up preferring going to back to gaming with my Xbox One Elite controller to the Dual Sense and like the Xbox UI better so I'll probably end up with the XSX being my main and PS5 mostly for exlclusives and online games I want to play with PS only friends. So I'm definitely glad I spent the extra money and went with the X.

S is totally fine and a nice option for people who are fine with 1080p overall or on their secondary console. Even more so if one's on a tight budget. So not knocking it at all. Just not for me or anyone else who does care about graphics and want 4k etc. even for their secondary console.
1080p is fine for me, I still haven't jumped on the 4K train just yet. Although I would like to eventually.

I'm on quite a tight budget so when I do get a PS5, I definitely think an S is still where I'll be looking. It means I can just get Game Pass.

Genx3

If you're gaming on a 4K TV then get an X. X has a bigger SSD and UHD drive as well so you also get to watch 4K movies.

S is for 1080P TV's.

Self

Ok, I already own a PS5 and PS is always my main console for multi platform titles alike. But I also like Xbox for some of the exclusive titles it offers, it has Game pass which is also great. I'm not that bothered about building up a maasive physical games collection, I do own a 4k TV though.

Anyhoo.. series X or S what do yoi think would suit me best?

I was in the exact same situation OP. I pre-ordered a Series S, but after the lacking BC support I choose the Series X. I mean a generation takes about 7 years and nobody knows what's coming up. So the X is the way to go for me.

BleanMachine

Neo Member
I pre-ordered the S.

But then I remembered how much fun (/s) I had juggling the hard drive space on the One S.

And yes I know there’s the expandable memory you can buy.

But by the time I factor that in I might aswell have got the X

So in summary. Go for the X IMO!

Get the X op.

No idea why you wouldnt want to maximise your 4k dispay investment.

If you were on 1080p, both wouldve been viable.

Speed_RUNNER

Neo Member
I don't see any difference between the X and S with the current games, but we haven't seen anything that is specific to this generation on the MS consoles. If you need something to play disks get the X, if not get the S. Side-by-Side Cyberpunk looks and plays the same.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Ok, I already own a PS5 and PS is always my main console for multi platform titles alike. But I also like Xbox for some of the exclusive titles it offers, it has Game pass which is also great. I'm not that bothered about building up a maasive physical games collection, I do own a 4k TV though.

Anyhoo.. series X or S what do yoi think would suit me best?
Series x

Not true. Very useful for those with 1080p tv's, smaller tv's, or a limited budget. Your statement is flat out wrong.

Game makers will always have to account for the least common denominator. The S is, by far, the LCD of the new generation. No one can make games for the Series X, unless the game is also designed to run on the S. That sucks.

You're flat out wrong.

Last edited:

Smether

Call me vain, materialistic or misguided, but having two white consoles next to each other will look cool.

I don’t think the S is a bad move for you if it’s your second machine. It’s portable and affordable. The games that come out in the future will probably run fine @1080p for major games and maybe up to 1440p on smaller/indies or older games via game pass. And you can have a white Xbox next to your white PS5.

THE DUCK

Game makers will always have to account for the least common denominator. The S is, by far, the LCD of the new generation. No one can make games for the Series X, unless the game is also designed to run on the S. That sucks.

You're flat out wrong.

Oh ya, your right, game developers certainly don't already have to account for multiple lower end pc configurations at all. Please.
This includes many first party xbox games - you know, the company that makes the sells the series s and x. So no, your still wrong.

We may even see many games developed by multiplatform developers for the next 2 or 3 years support the ps4 and xbox one........

DustQueen

Banned
If you have 4k TV you should go with X.
S ll have allot of reconstructed 720-1080 games on it. They ll look good on 1080 panel but be a mess on 4k TV

THE DUCK

Anyone that says S over X should be exiled, of course X.

1TB vs 512GB

1TB external SSD = boom you are now at $520 vs XSX at $500.

Of course the storage space arguement goes out the window in some cases, where the user won't have more than a few games on it at a time anyhow. Very likely for a buyer like this who uses a ps5 for most games.

Moogle11

Banned
Oh ya, your right, game developers certainly don't already have to account for multiple lower end pc configurations at all. Please.
This includes many first party xbox games - you know, the company that makes the sells the series s and x. So no, your still wrong.

We may even see many games developed by multiplatform developers for the next 2 or 3 years support the ps4 and xbox one........

This. People need to get over the idea of games being cross gen or on the S and X holding things back. Engines are scaleable as hell these days (some game specific ones devs make themselves instead of licensing one aside I suppose) and are used to making games for base and pro consoles last gen and a host of PC power levels.

Hell Gears 5 (Hellbusters especially) is the most next gen looking thing I’ve played and that runs fine even on the base Xbox One and scales up super nice on the XSX.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Of course the storage space arguement goes out the window in some cases, where the user won't have more than a few games on it at a time anyhow. Very likely for a buyer like this who uses a ps5 for most games.

Still, the graphics/performance gap is massive. Those $200 are nothing for such a sacrifice.

Moogle11

Banned
While true, I’d be wary about assuming one will end up using PS5 for most games even if they go in with that intent.

That was my intention when buying both an PS5 and XSX as the PS4 was my main last gen and I only had a Xbox One for a year or so (got a PC to replace it, but ended up only playing a handful of Xbox games).

However, Gamepass is such a great value and has so much I want to play that I’ve barely touched my PS5 since finishing Astrobot and Miles Morales and deciding Demon’s Souls wasn’t for me after several hours of slogging through it. I don’t see that changing as Gamepass fills the void between the few new releases I want to buy day one and the multiplat ones I’ll probably mostly buy on XSX as I prefer the Elite controller to the Dualsense.

So I’m glad I opted to shell out for the XSX for the extra power and storage space since it’s looking to be my main platform this gen, with PS5 mostly for exclusives (which will be plenty of use as I love many of Sony’s IPs).

Top Bottom