• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X: Buy A Game Once and Play the Best Version Across Generations with Smart Delivery (XSX Gears 5 Confirmed)

Tulipanzo

Nobody knows what's up with June but it was clear from their messaging 1st party games are July.

But nothing about that says an "event" every month; for all we know it's xbox.com blogs.
The quote literally says "every month" Pun, for a moment, which is defined, excuse the pettiness, as "a particular point at which an event takes place".
So, they did say they're going to have an event, of some entity, every month.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Naturally.

And do you think ps3 downloaded the ps4 files of games, or ps4 downloaded the ps3 versions ?

I just dont get why its labelled or perceived as special, its normal no ?

This is the first gen where both stores will have inclusions of games that will be available on both their previous and current consoles. The PS4/PS3 and 360/One gen had cross gen games but you couldn't buy the previous versions on your PS4 digitally so you couldn't make that mistake.

This gen will be different. If I am going into the store and I see Assasins Creed Valhala, I technically could get the ps4 version because its backwards compat and if I buy that version, I am not running the PS5 version.

Smart delivery and whatever sony call it, eliminates this question. You buy the game, it works and pulls whatever code is best.

geordiemp

This is the first gen where both stores will have inclusions of games that will be available on both their previous and current consoles. The PS4/PS3 and 360/One gen had cross gen games but you couldn't buy the previous versions on your PS4 digitally so you couldn't make that mistake.

This gen will be different. If I am going into the store and I see Assasins Creed Valhala, I technically could get the ps4 version because its backwards compat and if I buy that version, I am not running the PS5 version.

Smart delivery and whatever sony call it, eliminates this question. You buy the game, it works and pulls whatever code is best.

Oh I fully understand, cross generational buying 1 copy of a game is good stuff for everyone who plays on console with greedy EA and Activ. Its the rest of the rhetoric that makes me lol.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Naturally.

And do you think ps3 downloaded the ps4 files of games, or ps4 downloaded the ps3 versions ?

In the case of PS3 -> PS4 there were completely different architectures at play so obviously the system wouldn't download the wrong files as they would be unable to run. That isn't the case here - the Series X is entirely capable of running the Xbox One versions of these games.

Using PC as a comparison again - if you're a developer and you upload a new version of your game to Steam, and it breaks compatibility with older operating systems, your only recourse is to say "sorry chumps, time to upgrade". Microsoft is just ensuring that when developers update, say, Destiny 2 - that the game doesn't stop working for the older consoles, and that it doesn't start slowing down (common problem on mobile platforms where hardware iterations like this are common).

It's not exactly special, but as someone that's already heavily invested in the ecosystem it's comforting to know that my purchases will be forwards compatible.

So...

Can I have a new AAA exclusive that isn't anchored down by hardware that will be 7 years + old?

If not then don't tell me about choice. I'm not into PR or the framing of my want of a next generation game on a next generation console as disingenuous. Thank you.

It's pretty obvious that you can, and you will. But what's this obsession over exclusives? What way are you even referring to the term? Something being exclusive doesn't suddenly make it a good game. Those things you're thinking are next-gen, if engine devs and engine/programming scalability has reached the levels they should, you won't have to rely on AAA exclusives being the only games to leverage that tech in satisfying ways.

So yeah, I think I can easily show where your logic is wrong on this, and it's not a PR spiel. It's real talk.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Very entertaining to see all the "it's just cross-buy" downplaying going on. It's not at all the same thing.

Cross-Buy = You get a separate SKU of a game you purchase for another platform.

Smart Delivery = You get one SKU and that game works across all your Xbox devices with upgrades automatically delivered depending on which console you are playing on.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does that work for the DLC as well?
Yep! He and I played through a lot of the Overcooked 2 DLC expansions this way.

VYaRgsQ.png

Dnice1

Oh I fully understand, cross generational buying 1 copy of a game is good stuff for everyone who plays on console with greedy EA and Activ. Its the rest of the rhetoric that makes me lol.

What was this rhetoric you speak of? They were just giving out more information about smart delivery.

The Alien

Banned
Its going to be an interesting predicamant for devs, especially if Sony do something similar. I wouldnt like to be the studios that dont use this (Bethesda, Activision, EA, etc lol)
A number of devs have spoken:

EA has already confirmed Smart Delivery (for a limited time) for the next Madden.

Ubisoft has also agreed to Smart Delivery for AC Valhalla (and I believe Rainbow 6).

Bungie agreed for Destiny 2.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
For the July event I'm excited to see Gears 5 as a showcase of Smart Delivery.

Microsoft discussed a Gears 5 upgrade previously noting single player would target 4k 60fps while multiplayer is looking to hit 4k 120fps. Freaking sick!!!

jshackles

EA has already confirmed Smart Delivery (for a limited time) for the next Madden.

Ubisoft has also agreed to Smart Delivery for AC Valhalla (and I believe Rainbow 6).

Rockstar:

dd0.jpg

Codes 208

Very entertaining to see all the "it's just cross-buy" downplaying going on. It's not at all the same thing.

Smart Delivery = You get one SKU and that game works across all your Xbox devices with upgrades automatically delivered depending on which console you are playing on.
Its essentially the same concept as buying a game on steam, playing it on a mid range pc (or laptop) upgrading to a new higher range pc tower and still having access to the same game

Last edited:
It's sad state where this has to be a feature when it should just be the standard. Glad MSFT is at least taking the more pro-consumer approach. I'd be way more inclined to buy a PS5 if I knew I could play all my games from the PS4 on it and have them look better. People who don't want that are crazy fools. Ya'll don't remember when the PS2 released? The though of playing MGS with better graphics or backwards compatibility in general was a big selling point of the PS2 at launch.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Are XBOX studios mandated to make their Series X games playable on this console that released in 2013?

SXB1500GB003_l.jpg

If so then that's a problem to me as a consumer. You can call me "disingenuous" all you want because I want games that aren't anchored by 7 year old hardware, but come November, my wallet will scream otherwise.

Hi there!

You are more than welcome to create a thread and express your concerns for the situation that you describe. In the meantime, please cool it in here. You are not going to convince anyone, and it will just be endless arguing in circles making the thread unbearable for those who are interested in learning about what this new marketing slogan means.

Thank you.

Tulipanzo

Smart Delivery = You get one SKU and that game works across all your Xbox devices with upgrades automatically delivered [this is different SKUs again] depending on which console you are playing on.
Right, I'm not trying to undermine it at all, but it is literally the same thing.
You buy one version, and get all the others. It is identical, and that's a good thing.

It also seems that some games are getting one case with "XBOX" on it, other are getting both "XBOX ONE" and "XBOX SERIES X" cases.
I think it'll be a nightmare for retailers, but that's just me.

This is a consumer friendly approach but I cant help but think the store is gonna get a bit messy. I am someone who definitely looks at a games page on the MS store and if I don't see xbox one x enhanced i am more leery.

At the end of the day I would guess most consumers don't care if the game is a xbox one or xbox seires x game. They just want to know if they can play it and if the answer is yes then they are happy.
The way I understood it is you buy the game then it automatically detects the hardware you have and it installs the upgrade if there is any. You don't have to do anything.

Dory16

Banned
MS just created a new name for crossbuy lol

Now we have to wait Sony. How they will or not improve crossbuy.

Adoption from 3rd party is the biggest problem.
I totally get the name that they've created. You only worry about purchasing (any version of) the game. It works out the version you need given your system and you play that.
In the case of game pass titles it just means press play. You will be playing the best version that your setup allows.
Smart delivery sounds about right.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The way I understood it is you buy the game then it automatically detects the hardware you have and it installs the upgrade if there is any. You don't have to do anything.

This is basically what I am describing but in its current form its hard to tell if theres a version that is enhanced for One X. I would like to see that information more at the forefront.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The quote literally says "every month" Pun, for a moment, which is defined, excuse the pettiness, as "a particular point at which an event takes place".
So, they did say they're going to have an event, of some entity, every month.
Which literally could be an article on Xbox.com.

The word event carries weight here that I'm not seeing stated in this article. They are going to release information; we'd hope it would be a video every month.. but who knows?

geordiemp

What was this rhetoric you speak of? They were just giving out more information about smart delivery.

We’re also happy to confirm that Smart Delivery will be enabled for Xbox Game Pass titles that leverage it. Outside of our Xbox Game Studios titles, it will be up to the individual developer to determine whether they take advantage of Smart Delivery.

Its worded as some sort of exclusive benefit, where in effect every console will download its own version if its buy 1 copy and its allowed by publishers to own across multiple generations, bloody obvious.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Are XBOX studios mandated to make their Series X games playable on this console that released in 2013?

SXB1500GB003_l.jpg

If so then that's a problem to me as a consumer. You can call me "disingenuous" all you want because I want games that aren't anchored by 7 year old hardware, but come November, my wallet will scream otherwise.
Hi there!

You are more than welcome to create a thread and express your concerns for the situation that you describe. In the meantime, please cool it in here. You are not going to convince anyone, and it will just be endless arguing in circles making the thread unbearable for those who are interested in learning about what this new marketing slogan means.

Thank you.
No need to start a new thread.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/tech...bbing-players-of-the-next-gen-thrill.1540782/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/“its...yed-on-playstation-5”.1544337/#post-258376779

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/did-...eries-x-to-be-a-true-next-gen-system.1546617/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/why-...impact-on-game-design.1544658/#post-258409545

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/so-p...he-first-year-s.1540200/page-4#post-258082878

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/with...eneration-games.1536698/page-5#post-257824872

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...series-x-at-all.1529703/page-8#post-257241669

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/so-h...power-advantage.1532361/page-2#post-257451843

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...ar-after-launch.1519540/page-3#post-256514874

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/forb...-as-wild-as-it-sounds.1519851/#post-256521912

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/here...-work-on-x1-xsx.1519830/page-2#post-256528125

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...xbox-one-decree.1521735/page-2#post-256646331

I am happy Microsoft is pushing this because it puts pressure on publishers to make this available instead of scumbag double dipping for minimal upgrades to start the generation. Wish Sony would talk more about it they carry more weight and influence.

Seriously. This commitment to "one game, one license" by MS is a game-changer and I hope this pushes other publishers to follow suit.

And as much as the GTAV announcement during the PS5 stream was an eye-roller, it shows that Sony at least has a system in place to support their version of Smart Delivery.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Seriously. This commitment to "one game, one license" by MS is a game-changer and I hope this pushes other publishers to follow suit.

And as much as the GTAV announcement during the PS5 stream was an eye-roller, it shows that Sony at least has a system in place to support their version of Smart Delivery.
What did the GTA V announcement have to do with a potential PS5 smart-delivery like service?

Genx3

Naturally.

Credit where its due MS is pushing console publishers to make the gen cross over of games from 3rd party free, Congrats, I get it.

The rest of the rhetoric is just PR nonsense IMO.

Its not rhetoric.
Yes its PR because its a new feature for AAA games in the Console space so they want to advertise it.

It really shouldn't bother you that they advertise good beneficial features for their console because this could put pressure on the competition to do the same.

Starcheif

I believe I read that EA removed the "limited time" on Madden.

Dory16

Banned
Glad I haven't finished Gears 5. I'm not shooting another locust until the XSX is under my TV. I'll continue the campaign in native 4k60.

Crossbuy gives you two versions of the game based on the consoles.

Smart Delivery is like how it currently works with the Xbox One S and Xbox One X where there is ONE version of the game, but the system smartly delivers the correct files and assets based on the device that it's installed on.

That's a distinction without a difference.

Tulipanzo

Which literally could be an article on Xbox.com.

The word event carries weight here that I'm not seeing stated in this article. They are going to release information; we'd hope it would be a video every month.. but who knows?
Well, they've already released multiple articles this month.

The expectation are obviously for video, but I feel that even an article should at least contain new information to count as part of XBox 20/20.

IntentionalPun

Well, they've already released multiple articles this month.

The expectation are obviously for video, but I feel that even an article should at least contain new information to count as part of XBox 20/20.
Yeah I'd hope it would be some sort of video but with games being in July... and pretty much everything about the console already revealed..

I dunno lol

Maybe they are hoping people forget June

Agent X

Crossbuy gives you two versions of the game based on the consoles.

Smart Delivery is like how it currently works with the Xbox One S and Xbox One X where there is ONE version of the game, but the system smartly delivers the correct files and assets based on the device that it's installed on.

From the consumer's perspective, this is the same thing for all intents and purposes.

If a game is cross-buy on the Sony systems, then you go to PS Store on one of the systems (or on PC or mobile device), purchase the game, and it appears in your library for all of the supported systems.

For example, if you buy CounterSpy on the PS Vita, then you could turn on your PS4 afterward, and the game icon appears in the library for the PS4. When you click on it to begin the download, the server sends the files for the PS4 version off game, not the Vita or PS3 versions.

You could theoretically make that mistake now, if you're buying a game through PS Store on PC or mobile device--but only if the game is not a cross-buy game. If the game is deemed as cross-buy, then you buy on one and get access to all the other cross-buy versions.

I assume that the next generation will work the same way. If a particular game is not cross-buy or Smart Delivery, then you could conceivably purchase the version for the old system instead. As TimFL TimFL pointed out earlier, this appears to be "opt-in" per the publisher. We just have to hope that more and more publishers adopt this type of initiative quickly, in order to put pressure on the ones that don't.

The confusion around this still baffles me. People confusing cross buy and BC with smart delivery are the ones not in tune with the Xbox ecosystem. Xbox needs to drop a short video on the team who does smart delivery and have them explain that upgrades for many games are done internally by xbox no the developer. And all the developer has to do is approve it and it will be upgraded. Sony has cross buy to an extent but they arent upgrading games to 4k, hdr and 6ofps in some cases. Thats a financial investment xbox made so far that Sony hasn't and they need to push that more. It's a unique system that they have.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And The Last of Us was not. You had to buy the PS4 remaster.

Same as you had to buy all Halo remasters. This is a nice feature but it only depends if third party will all use it or not.

The confusion around this still baffles me. People confusing cross buy and BC with smart delivery are the ones not in tune with the Xbox ecosystem. Xbox needs to drop a short video on the team who does smart delivery and have them explain that upgrades for many games are done internally by xbox no the developer. And all the developer has to do is approve it and it will be upgraded. Sony has cross buy to an extent but they arent upgrading games to 4k, hdr and 6ofps in some cases. Thats a financial investment xbox made so far that Sony hasn't and they need to push that more. It's a unique system that they have.

This is not true. Developers need to support AND create the patch themselves before you get the enhanced edition.

If they don’t you just play the original version without SD patch, or even let you pay for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom