• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X: Buy A Game Once and Play the Best Version Across Generations with Smart Delivery (XSX Gears 5 Confirmed)

ManaByte

Gold Member

If you own Gears 5 or are loving it via Xbox Game Pass now, you can play it today on Xbox One. Then, if you pick up an Xbox Series X this holiday, all it takes is a push of a button to download it and you’ll have the Optimized version of Gears 5 – available on day 1 at launch with the console – at your fingertips.

When Halo Infinite launches alongside Xbox Series X and Xbox One this holiday, you only have to buy the game once and you’ll get the best version for whichever console you own, or both. If you pick up Xbox Series X for your living room, Smart Delivery will recognize that and deliver you the Optimized version there. If you decide to move your existing Xbox One to a bedroom or the office, Smart Delivery will recognize that too and deliver that version when you’re playing on Xbox One.

Lastly, some new and existing Xbox One titles will be Optimizing their games after the Xbox Series X launches. For example, if you buy Cyberpunk 2077 when it launches on September 17, you’ll be set to explore Night City on Xbox One. If you pick up Xbox Series X at launch this holiday, you can play it there too in compatibility mode picking up exactly where you left off. Then, when CD PROJEKT RED delivers an Xbox Series X Optimized version of Cyberpunk 2077, you’ll automatically get upgraded once it’s available at no additional cost.

We’re also happy to confirm that Smart Delivery will be enabled for Xbox Game Pass titles that leverage it. Outside of our Xbox Game Studios titles, it will be up to the individual developer to determine whether they take advantage of Smart Delivery.

Halo Infinite
Cyberpunk 2077
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
Destiny 2
DiRT 5
Scarlet Nexus
Chorus
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
The Ascent
Call of the Sea
Gears 5
Second Extinction
Metal: Hellslinger

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome news and even though they've already discussed this at length, it's nice to have a solid list and additional details.

I'll definitely be picking a few of these games up on Xbox, specifically because of this initiative.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Hope to see that list grow in the next couple of months, might push me to buy some other games too instead of waiting for the XSX.

kingwingin

I've been holding off on playing some recent games hoping they get added to the list. If you have $1 game pass upgrading to series x will be the most painless jump to next gen. Wont have to shell out extra for exclusive launch titles

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I'm totally digging how consumer friendly this is.

With that said... at this point I have no reason to buy a Series X (besides wanting to play The Medium). We will see what July holds, but my XBOX One X is still incredibly impressive, and most games I've played are already 4k at 30fps.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I love this approach to next generation.

My question is if both consoles can be playing the game at the same time? I assume no but would like to know for sure. Same with ps5.

Stuart360

Its going to be an interesting predicamant for devs, especially if Sony do something similar. I wouldnt like to be the studios that dont use this (Bethesda, Activision, EA, etc lol)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love this approach to next generation.

My question is if both consoles can be playing the game at the same time? I assume no but would like to know for sure. Same with ps5.
I would assume yes. Currently, I can buy a digital game on Xbox and my son and I can both play it at the same time on different Xboxes. You'll just need to set one console as the primary, and the other console you'll need to be signed in with the account that made the purchase.

jaysius

Banned
This the fact that I have an excellent Series 1 Elite controller, also that I know this machine will be whisper quiet(my Ancient Xbox One is still quiet even under load, also has SUPER SNAPPY UI), and that crazy Xbox Live to ultimate conversion where everyone gained a ton of months with magical math, really compels me to buy a Series X. Past gen I bought a PS4 Pro, fucking thing is a jet engine, want to see the UI in a game, it's slow a shit to popup, hell sometimes the fucking thing glitched out and doesn't even popup when you hold the PS button, the UI is better with NO ADS but overall, MS is more impressive in the long run.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I would assume yes. Currently, I can buy a digital game on Xbox and my son and I can both play it at the same time on different Xboxes. You'll just need to set one console as the primary, and the other console you'll need to be signed in with the account that made the purchase.
Really? I wasn't aware of this. So you could each play destiny together on one copy?

jshackles

Does anyone know if this is backwards as well? If I buy the XsX version of Cyberpunk 2077 but have a X1X in the bedroom, will it also download the X1X version?
Article says:

you only have to buy the game once and you’ll get the best version for whichever console you own, or both

So I believe so!

Really? I wasn't aware of this. So you could each play destiny together on one copy?

Yes, absolutely. My son and I have done this a few times, and we only have to buy one copy of the game.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Article says:

So I believe so!

Yes, absolutely. My son and I have done this a few times, and we only have to buy one copy of the game.
That is awesome. I just read Sony does this as well. If they do this next generation il probably not sell my PS4 anymore and hand it down to the kids and play crossgen. Would be fun to play destiny cross generation with my kids.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is a consumer friendly approach but I cant help but think the store is gonna get a bit messy. I am someone who definitely looks at a games page on the MS store and if I don't see xbox one x enhanced i am more leery.

At the end of the day I would guess most consumers don't care if the game is a xbox one or xbox seires x game. They just want to know if they can play it and if the answer is yes then they are happy.

jshackles

This is a consumer friendly approach but I cant help but think the store is gonna get a bit messy. I am someone who definitely looks at a games page on the MS store and if I don't see xbox one x enhanced i am more leery.

At the end of the day I would guess most consumers don't care if the game is a xbox one or xbox seires x game. They just want to know if they can play it and if the answer is yes then they are happy.
Word on the street is that the Microsoft Store (at least the Xbox portion of it) is getting a significant revamp before the Series X launches. Hopefully when that happens, these sorts of improvements will be much clearer.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Word on the street is that the Microsoft Store (at least the Xbox portion of it) is getting a significant revamp before the Series X launches. Hopefully when that happens, these sorts of improvements will be much clearer.
I saw the video and it looked like it doesn't highlight that as much as I would like but it does put some of those terms (they call them capabilities) near the top.

My question is if they are going to try and steer people to stuff thats "new" on the series X or just have the store and as long as its in the store it just works but not signify what it came out out etc.

Stuart360

So we know CDPR is supporting this with Cyberpuink, but they also said the old line in an interview not long ago 'we are not talking about a potential next gen release for Cyberpunk at this time', causing speculation to mount that their will be a next gen release. So will that be the same upgraded version the XSX will get, but for people that dont already own the game, or will it be an even better next gen version, kind of a 'Game of the Year' version which is more than just a rez/framerate update?.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I want to buy control and the jedi game but i'm not looking to buy it twice, and they haven't said anything about next gen upgrades yet

SleepDoctor

Banned
So we know CDPR is supporting this with Cyberpuink, but they also said the old line in an interview not long ago 'we are not talking about a potential next gen release for Cyberpunk at this time', causing speculation to mount that their will be a next gen release. So will that be the same upgraded version the XSX will get, but for people that dont already own the game, or will it be an even better next gen version, kind of a 'Game of the Year' version which is more than just a rez/framerate update?.

These are good questions but I don't think it'd be farfetched to think a next gen version could be included. For example look at whenever a game on pc gets upgraded. They usually give owners of the original version a free upgrade.

although i think this is a great feature to have, and definitely worthy of boasting about, Microsoft will have continue this for the next console after XsX and so on an so forth which kinda locks them into this.

Neo Blaster

That is awesome. I just read Sony does this as well. If they do this next generation il probably not sell my PS4 anymore and hand it down to the kids and play crossgen. Would be fun to play destiny cross generation with my kids.
I'm told Sony will have this features like this as long as I have patience for it to be announced 😛🙈
Sony have this feature since PS3/VITA, most certainly they'll keep it on PS5.

ManaByte

Gold Member
although i think this is a great feature to have, and definitely worthy of boasting about, Microsoft will have continue this for the next console after XsX and so on an so forth which kinda locks them into this.

And that's a bad...why?

It's like saying people shouldn't be able to play their older Steam games when they buy a new PC.

Sony have this feature since PS3/VITA, most certainly they'll keep it on PS5.

Let us know when Sony uses it for a big AAA game and not an indie.

Last edited:

mejin

MS just created a new name for crossbuy lol

Now we have to wait Sony. How they will or not improve crossbuy.

Adoption from 3rd party is the biggest problem.

skneogaf

3rd party I believe will be interested as consumers jump on the hype train of launch trailers and word of mouth etc so consumers spending full price on launch time will be desirable.

Infamy v1

COD: Advanced Warfare was one of the games with PS3/PS4 crossbuy.

Why so salty, just because Sony have been doing this before MS? We should praise everyone is doing it now.

A singular during a promotional period by an affiliated marketing partner? You're comparing that to Smart Delivery?

Some of you are getting so desperate that y'all ain't even trying anymore.

Rolla

Banned
I want to buy a series X and play a game that pushes the hardware.

Sadly for some that's a real controversial proposition.

jshackles

And The Last of Us was not. You had to buy the PS4 remaster.
Along with literally hundreds of other games that got remastered for the PS4 which you were SOL if you owned the PS3 version.

They got away with it last gen because we let them. Also because the consoles (at least at first) didn't have any backwards compatibility at all. Now the situation is different - you'll be able to play all of your previous gen games with higher framerates and resolution, in the vast majority of cases. So there really shouldn't be a need to have to double dip on anything.

Neo Blaster

A singular during a promotional period by an affiliated marketing partner? You're comparing that to Smart Delivery?

Some of you are getting so desperate that y'all ain't even trying anymore.
There are other games, smart ass, not desperate at all. Gotta ask again, why so salty just because MS is not the first one doing it?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Cross buy is/was cool.. but wasn't that digital only?

Smart delivery is like cross buy on steroids.

But either way according to the infamous Matt from Resetera, Sony does have something like smart delivery for PS5. But I don't know if it supports both physical and digital purchases.

Last edited:

TimFL

Goodbye and good riddance remasters. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Anyone who thinks this‘ll kill off remasters is delusional.

Smart Delivery is opt-in, not opt-out. The games confirmed cross-gen whos devs have yet to speak out about any „free upgrades“ is scarily large.

I expect big blockbuster titles like GTA V to still be separate purchases on next gen consoles.

Infamy v1

There are other games, smart ass, not desperate at all. Gotta ask again, why so salty just because MS is not the first one doing it?

What games? List them so we can all laugh at you.

Your posts reek of desperation. You're calling multiple people salty randomly, out of context, while trying to push a very obvious agenda. The sad part is, it doesn't even make sense. Like I said above, comparing that to Smart Delivery is an insane stretch. Like, serious mental gymnastics.

Gotta say, why stan so hard that your points are so laughable and easily refuted? You getting paid to shill?

Neo Blaster

Cross buy is/was cool.. but wasn't that digital only?

Smart delivery is like cross buy on steroids.

But either way according to the infamous Matt from Resetera, Sony does have something like smart delivery for PS5. But I don't know if it supports both physical and digital purchases.
Someone once posted a PlayStation policy in the next gen thread about crossbuy, and it included physical copies, not just digital.

And yes, Sony must be getting a beefed up crossbuy for PS5, probably announcing it when they talk about services and features.

pr0cs

I hope Sony does the same, it would be nice to get an 'updated' version of TLOU2 and Days Gone for PS5.
Not holding my breath though since Sony loves people paying for double dips.

jshackles

I expect big blockbuster titles like GTA V to still be separate purchases on next gen consoles.
The difference here, is I suspect they'll get a lot less takers this time around. My digital copy of GTA5 will (supposedly) play just fine on the Series X. Why would I rebuy the game? Last gen, we didn't have a choice except to keep our old consoles connected.

Top Bottom