• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Series consoles have sold less in the same timeframe as XB1" Really?

Stuart360

This is something i have seen posted numerous times by different people in random threads on here over the last few weeks. Just saw it again now.

Have i missed some news or something?. I'm guessing so as people wouldnt be saying it if something hasnt been said somewhere.
So what have i missed?.

1. If Microsoft isnt revealing sales numbers, how do we know this.

2. Even if it WAS true, wouldnt the console shortages have something to do with that?, especially when it comes to XSX. I mean thats all we hear about in regards to PS5.

3. Is it just console warring?

Discuss. :messenger_neutral:

DonJorginho

Banned
Who cares, just enjoy the consoles and/or PC you use and spend more time playing games that make you happy instead of spending time console warring.

GIF by NETFLIX

R6Rider

Gold Member
Eh, it doesn't matter either way, given the current situation and supply of consoles. Once bigger titles start rolling out and the studios MS has acquired have more titles revealed, I think the Series X/S will do fine. As someone who only bought the original and 360 long after launch and entirely skipped the One, I will be picking one up later this year or early next year.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I believe they use that estimate.

Data from Ampere Analysis suggests that Xbox Series X|S has sold 2.8 million units since launching in November -- lagging a little behind the Xbox One during the same post-launch timeframe at 2.9 million units.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Se we havent had any actual news then, and people are just speculating?.
Just making sure because it gets said like its 'fact'.
It's a fact but lacking context. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 didn't have anywhere near the supply issues these new consoles are experiencing. Until stock catches up to demand it's going to be very difficult to say anything without more or less resorting to bias speculation. I'm sure there might be some way to prove it, but the kinds of people who engage in this stuff are very, very rarely the types to do their due diligence on the issue. They more or less just look for the easy click-bait or talking points.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This is something i have seen posted numerous times by different people in random threads on here over the last few weeks. Just saw it again now.

Have i missed some news or something?. I'm guessing so as people wouldnt be saying it if something hasnt been said somewhere.
So what have i missed?.

1. If Microsoft isnt revealing sales numbers, how do we know this.

2. Even if it WAS true, wouldnt the console shortages have something to do with that?, especially when it comes to XSX. I mean thats all we hear about in regards to PS5.

Discuss. :messenger_neutral:

I've been wondering the same thing, especially since I've seen it repeated quite often lately and only from the hardcore Sony fanboys. Is there ANY basis for this so-called fact? If there is, can we please get the source and a link to it?

Edit: I must have been typing when ethomaz ethomaz posted. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I believe they use that estimate.

2.8mil Series consoles vs 2.9mil XB1 in the same timeframe. Ok i got that.
Still the article says its down to shortages, and still its pure admitted speculation on the guys part.
Thanks for the article.

EDIT Also according to the article Sony said PS5 sold 4.5mil PS5's in the same timeframe, making it the fastest selling console ever.
So 2.8mil Series consoles vs 4.5mil of the fastest selling console ever.
Its hadly a disaster, especially with the shortages.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
2.8mil Series consoles vs 2.9mil XB1 in the same timeframe. Ok i got that.
Still the article says its down to shortages, and still its pure admitted speculation on the guys part.
Thanks for the article.

EDOIT Also according to the article Sony said PS5 sold 4.5mil PS5's in the same timeframe, making it the fastest selling console ever.
So 2.8mil Series consoles vs 4.5mil of the fastest selling console ever.
Its hadly a disaster, especially with the shortages.
4.5m is shipped... it is impossible to sell what you are shipping... PS4 shipped 4.5m and sold 4.2m... about the same for PS5... and both were sold out at launch.

Xbox One shipped 3.3m and sold 2.9m.... that means Series shipped less... 3.2m and sold 2.8m.

PS4/PS5 numbers come from Sony.
Xbox One number 3.3m shipped come from MS... the others are the estimates from the article.

BTW it is related to end of the year.

Last edited:

Stuart360

4.5m is shipped... it is impossible to sell what you are shipping... PS4 shipped 4.5m and sold 4.2m... about the same for PS5... and both were sold out at launch.

Xbox One shipped 3.3m and sold 2.9m.... that means Series shipped less... 3.2m and sold 2.8m.

PS4/PS5 numbwrscome from Sony.
Xbox One number 3.3m come from MS... the others are the estimates from the article.

BTW it is related to end of the year.
So when this article was made in Feb, the numbers were basically -

2.8mil Xbox Series consoles vs 4.2mil PS5 consoles.

To me that seems very decent when taking into account shortages.
Its going to be interesting where all this goes when we have had all consoles available in stores for a year or so.

ethomaz

Banned
BTW there is a leak of how many Wafer MS have compared with Sony.... I will try to find it... take in mind MS chip is bigger so it get less units per Wafer than Sony.

It's console warring, but it isn't just this "fact". There are tons of examples here where people state "facts" without the receipts. They hear something here which confirms their bias then go on to repeat it causing the "fact" to spread. I am sure there is a psychological study term for this.

Gamepass only costs a dollar, for an example.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Found it.

TSMC/AMD allocated for Q4 80k Wafer for PS5 and 40k Wafer for Series X|S.

Making a correction on my previous post... you have more PS5 chips than Series X chips per Wafer but you have even more Series S chips per Wafer.... we don’t have any ideia how many Wafers MS uses for X or S.

Even so Sony had the double of Wafer to make chips than MS for Q4.

Last edited:
Honestly who gives a shit.

I've got an Xbox and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Whether it sold less or more doesn't matter. All that matters is that I can play games on it.

If tomorrow there are no games to play on my Xbox well then me and Phil Spencer got a problem. A BIG fucking problem.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Doesn't really matter currently, they can't make them fast enough. Neither console. So whatever gets made, gets sold really quickly.

Last edited:
It's a fact but lacking context. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 didn't have anywhere near the supply issues these new consoles are experiencing. Until stock catches up to demand it's going to be very difficult to say anything without more or less resorting to bias speculation. I'm sure there might be some way to prove it, but the kinds of people who engage in this stuff are very, very rarely the types to do their due diligence on the issue. They more or less just look for the easy click-bait or talking points.
PS4 was sold out at least until april 2014... Xbone had deals very early on to help with sales (it was still sold out relatively fast until Christmas 2013).
Everybody is in the same world, facing the same pandemic.

They sold all they could make, which is good, they will eventually catch up with the demand and hopefully the situation will be back to "normal". But it doesn't mean that the Xbox has the mind share and momentum it had coming from the 360 generation, assuming that their studios deliver eventually people will notice and sales will catch up with the PS5 (maybe, Sony will not sit still either).

On the other hand, if you have a decent PC there aren't much reason to even consider the Xbox series.
Easy cop out for when you don't like something someone said.

Found it.

TSMC/AMD allocated for Q4 80k Wafer for PS5 and 40k Wafer for Series X|S.

Making a correction on my previous post... you have more PS5 chips than Series X chips per Wafer but you have even more Series S chips per Wafer.... we don’t have any ideia how many Wafers MS uses for X or S.

Even so Sony had the double of Wafer to make chips than MS for Q4.

Gosh this wafers and chips talk.

I get the potato connection now.

Anyways on topic, how many chips you get per wafer?

Seems like Xbox is even more supply constraint than PS5.

Since both the Series X and PS5 are selling literally every console the second it comes into stock it doesn't really matter. Once we start to see early adopters taper off and more available supply come online then sales numbers will be something to look at and see how the console is doing.

Oh, and VGChartz is terrible. Don't trust it for anything more than an estimate.

Having Deja Vu with MS marketing. Got to give it to them, they do equip all their influencers with all the proper replies that are repeated whenever they seem in the weaker position.
"console sales don't matter MAU does!"
"first to 10 million"
"Doesnt count! sold to scalpers not users!"
"game pass game pass"
"Not full RDNA"
"Supply! none in my area"
"Demand is the same as PS5, just not enough in the market!"

Since revenue for the main corporations I am guessing doesn't matter, the end game would be, what is the healthier platform where in publishers are willing to take more risk and get more return? and no matter what mental gymnastics some people genuinely believe, trolls, fake paid actors, the fact of the matter is we all know who is the market leader and has mindshare. Despite not having SFS and built in ML. :)

DaGwaphics

Seems like they've sold great to me. I honestly wondered if they would do worse just because of the dry spell in first-party, but that hasn't seemed to affect anything. Momentum seems to be quite a bit stronger than the talking heads were predicting. X1 sales plummeted much quicker than this, though they had more day 1 units ready to go for that launch (in the US anyway, I don't know about WW totals). I doubt we'll see a $100 price reduction by mid summer on this one. LOL

Last edited:
LGQQygI.jpg
upNERUl.jpg

After someone here claimed that series X were available sitting on store shelves last week, I went and looked around ebay.

It's from last week, and you can see in the search that it's just the series X, but the number of available results is pretty drastic. With prices being pretty similar.

DaGwaphics

Having Deja Vu with MS marketing. Got to give it to them, they do equip all their influencers with all the proper replies that are repeated whenever they seem in the weaker position.
"first to 10 million"
"game pass game pass"
"Not full RDNA"

Since revenue for the main corporations I am guessing doesn't matter, the end game would be, what is the healthier platform where in publishers are willing to take more risk and get more return? and no matter what mental gymnastics some people genuinely believe, trolls, fake paid actors, the fact of the matter is we all know who is the market leader and has mindshare. Despite not having SFS and built in ML. :)

And yet out of pure confidence you had to come to this thread and type that.

Vine Ok GIF

Stuart360

"first to 10 million"
"game pass game pass"
"Not full RDNA"

Yeah unfortunately XSX/XSS are coming off the XB1, while PS5 is coming off the PS4.
Its going to be hard this gen for Microsoft to change mindshare, even with all the curent positivity and momentum. PS5 will 'win' this gen, no doubt.
BUT if Microsoft keep this positivity and momentum up for most of this gen, the PS6/Xbox 5 gen is up in the air imo.

"first to 10 million"
"game pass game pass"
"Not full RDNA"

Imagine being this desperate. 😬

Yeah unfortunately XSX/XSS are coming off the XB1, while PS5 is coming off the PS4.
Its going to be hard this gen for Microsoft to change mindshare, even with all the curent positivity and momentum. PS5 will 'win' this gen, no doubt.
BUT if Microsoft keep this positivity and momentum up for most of this gen, the PS6/Xbox 5 gen is up in the air imo.
Got to give credit where it is due though, I wish Sony respected their back catalog more. Service and hardware of Xbox has been a point of envy since the original Xbox, its just their marketing style, which albeit works for a certain demographic, I wish they were a little more subtle. Case in point looking at the main page of this forum.

Stuart360

Got to give credit where it is due though, I wish Sony respected their back catalog more. Service and hardware of Xbox has been a point of envy since the original Xbox, its just their marketing style, which albeit works for a certain demographic, I wish they were a little more subtle. Case in point looking at the main page of this forum.
As a PC gamer, with pretty much my entire PC library bought since 2004 there and ready to play whenever i want, i have never understood why not only Sony themselves, but so many Sony fans seem against it. I mean wouldnt you just love to turn on your PS5 and have every Playstation game you bought over the years there and available to you anytime?.
I think part of it is because Microsoft put a lot of its time and effort into its back catalogue.

DaGwaphics

It was more fun :/ Lemmings, sheep, Cows :)) now its hard to parse from paid ads and genuine fanboys. The good old days

I don't think anyone would pay more than a nickel for forum shill post anymore. This entire format is basically 90 and using a walker. The YT and Social media influencers are where its at today, that and random celebrities. Hey look Kanye has a dualsense. LOL

I still like the forums the best though. You get to know your enemy other posters more.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone would pay more than a nickel for forum shill post anymore. This entire format is basically 90 and using a walker. The YT and Social media influencers are where its at today, that and random celebrities'.
You would be surprised. I used to work for an ad agency here in the Philippines, bigger corps would hire us to look for desperate influencers to go on reddit, youtube, the usual suspects to change the narrative. Converted to dollars we would pay for one person a month like what,30 dollars? and they had to post articles on their twitter and share which we would email to them. Was usually bad news against their competitor and had to seem natural. While the the public face of the company is all chummy chummy. Despite what you think, I believe neogaf still has influence on the industry.

Top Bottom