• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Owners: Do you plan to sell your Xbox if Microsoft goes the SEGA's route?

Will you sel your Xbox or...

• Yes, i will sell my Xbox

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • No i will keep my Xbox

Votes: 222 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlackTron

They're putting their stuff on Windows PC. You know Microsoft owns Windows right?

Big difference. Windows is an open platform. Microsoft does not make a cut on every piece of software compatible with Windows sold. A more appropriate comparison would be "they're putting their stuff on MS Store. You know Microsoft owns MS Store right?"

Acting like MS is supporting "their platform" by releasing games on Steam is a complete false equivalence.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Pretty much. I don't want to play on PC at all. But if that's how it all plays out, I think its pretty much the only option. Going PS only is not an option for me. If there is some kind of NextGen box with the MS store and PC stores with the form factor and ease of consoles, that's probably the best option for me, depending on price / performance. If not, I'll need some "PC gaming for retards" guide, but I imagine I'll figure it out eventually. Huge bummer for sure. Guess we'll see what happens.

1. Buy PC or laptop
2. Plug it in
3. Let it update
4. Download storefront (Steam, Epic whatever)
5. Buy game and DL
7. Plug in USB controller
6. Launch game

Now you don't need to find a guide, you're welcome

Punished Miku

Gold Member
1. Buy PC or laptop
2. Plug it in
3. Let it update
4. Download storefront (Steam, Epic whatever)
5. Buy game and DL
7. Plug in USB controller
6. Launch game

Now you don't need to find a guide, you're welcome
I have a couple friends that could build me a PC. We'll see. It's not my preference.

BlackTron

I have a couple friends that could build me a PC. We'll see. It's not my preference.

I used a Series X until finding a 3070 laptop on sale 2 years ago. I like it because I can use it as a desktop, portable or "game console" moving it around different TVs with just a power cable, HDMI port and bluetooth controller. Actually it's easier to move than a console like X or PS5 because it folds into a thin book despite better specs than either. Whereas if I made a strong PC I'd feel like I'd have to choose where to plant it down for good (desk? TV?) and never be satisfied with the decision.

When I was looking for a deal on controllers I found 2 with Series S for under $150 so I got the S. I find myself in a good place with a laptop I move around as needed and the S as the fallback under the TV. So if I come home with my laptop in a bag, or it's set up at my desk for FPS games, and just want to play Vampire Survivors on the couch I don't have to set anything up lol. I guess I'm just saying yeah I'm a PC guy but I wouldn't totally switch or get rid of all consoles either.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
At the end of the day companies make changes and turn the page on their products this isn’t the first time Microsoft bailed on hardware they let go of their zunes, the windows phones etc. and when you make decisions like buying Bethesda I think you create your own chaos.

Lucky owner of all current consoles and a gaming pc, I wouldn’t sell it. The quieter and more powerful console at this moment with great games, game pass, and backwards compatible with the XBO, 360 and OG XBOX titles, why would I sell it?

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Definitely going pc-playstation starting whenever the gtx 5xxx are out. Already have a steamdeck so the transition is gonna be smooth. Debating selling my xbox account as well on the gray market.
In order to sell your Xbox account, you can't put it on ebay. Maybe you can. But I don't think you can because it's Microsoft copyrighted. So maybe you'll be able sell it on craigslist and facebook marketplace.

DavidGzz

Now that we are hearing it's 6+months late and $70, it would be dumb to sell the Xbox unless you don't have Game Pass and don't care about playing games late.

No I'll just buy a PlayStation if I really need a console. Although I really hope there is a third party controller that feels more like the Xbox controller. One of the reasons why I chose the Xbox was because of the controller. For the life of me I could never get used to the PlayStation controller and it's one of the reasons why I kept selling my systems.

Crayon

Uh, it's not like it's going to stop working next week. I bet they even have one more gen for a wind down and to serve people who still want to use it. Maybe you want to start building your library somewhere else so I guess that would be a consideration.

Crayon

No I'll just buy a PlayStation if I really need a console. Although I really hope there is a third party controller that feels more like the Xbox controller. One of the reasons why I chose the Xbox was because of the controller. For the life of me I could never get used to the PlayStation controller and it's one of the reasons why I kept selling my systems.

These are quality controller adapters:
https://www.brookaccessory.com/X one/list.html

Quasicat

It still works and I have tons of games on it. When it dies, I will buy another plastic box and buy games for it.

JayDucker

Sigh. I miss when people sent me virgins.

Good News!... A shitload of them just came into stock.

twitters-new-x-logo-is-getting-a-lot-of-attention-from-xbox-fans.large.jpg

I'll give you them half price because they no longer have anything to live for.

MrMephistoX

It’s kind of simple for me if cross Play comes for EA PGA Tour 2k23 I walk…I play that with my dad online and everything else I’d consider playing already is cross play.

Kings Field

Nope. I’ll keep my series x to fuck around on and play BC games. This year I wanna play through Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey so it’s worth it for that alone.

ElRenoRaven

To be honest I already did about 10 months ago. I loved my Series S but I kind of saw all this coming. I just am tired of having 3 different consoles. I'm tired of paying for multiple gaming services like PSN, XBL, Nintendo Online. Hence I dropped my Xbox. Sure enough MS games are coming out on PC already and on Steam none the less. Now if they all come to PS5 then I'll be able to play them all on my PS5 happily too.

Naked Lunch

Just too many questions - need to wait for the official information.

For one, I cannot stand the Playstation and Nintendo controllers. I know Brook converters are out there - I actually own them - its just not the same.
Plus I prefer Xbox Live over PSN and whatever crappy excuse for online Nintendo has.
However - I could care less about Gamepass. Was never a fan.

Too many questions about why the recent deals with Squaresoft games and Inin games coming to Xbox finally.
Why did those deals even happen?
Say if MS goes third party but stays making consoles - where is the incentive when so many lower key, but great, 3rd party games skip Xbox.

So many things don't add up.

Last edited:
Nah, I have a huge digital collection, and Gamepass. Why would I get rid of it?

Mostly I'm just concerned about what the future plans are for Xbox because I don't really want to lose that digital collection. I'm hoping they continue to release competitive consoles, or if not that they convert the digital libraries to a PC launcher

baphomet

I'll probably keep my Series X as it's the best way to play BC games, but honestly I haven't turned that thing on ever to play a single Xbox Series game. If they do have something I want to play, my PC plays it better.

Hoddi

I don't mind if they go multiplatform. My Xbox is just a tool to play games on my TV when I don't want to sit at the PC. Same as my other consoles for that matter.

The main reason I bought it was because I liked the idea of cross-saves. Being able to play on PC and carry on in the living room is what I like about the platform. It's otherwise just a cheapo console and I don't see the point in getting rid of it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nah, I have a huge digital collection, and Gamepass. Why would I get rid of it?

Mostly I'm just concerned about what the future plans are for Xbox because I don't really want to lose that digital collection. I'm hoping they continue to release competitive consoles, or if not that they convert the digital libraries to a PC launcher
672 games for me. Potentially complete trash now.

DaGwaphics

Yeah, we'll see. MS store would obviously be secondary, but I still think they are at a minimum going to try and keep that going for mobile and this cloud future. But maybe not. Guess we'll see.

I hear you. Hopefully they can explain what is and isn't miss information here. Regardless of how that turns out, I'd still roll the dice if whatever they come with appears genuinely solvent to me (I just like a lot of what they do better than Sony, LOL). If it seems like something floating on a hope and a prayer I'll just have to enjoy GP on PC (assuming that's still a thing in a world where consoles stop being a realistic option for them). Who knows which way is up at this point.

Yeah, @ splattered splattered I don't think a refund would ever happen or be warranted. Even if they ended Xbox tomorrow, I'm sure they'd still leave the services up for quite some time (look at how long the 360 has been online). A completely different scenario to Google pulling the plug which left the buyers with nothing.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I hear you. Hopefully they can explain what is and isn't miss information here. Regardless of how that turns out, I'd still roll the dice if whatever they come with appears genuinely solvent to me. If it seems like something floating on a hope and a prayer I'll just have to enjoy GP on PC (assuming that's still a thing, things seem to be changing wildly there. Who knows which way is up at this point).
I dont see how GP would really survive. They wont even get 3rd party games ported regularly to a dead console and it wont be allowed on PS. No Activision games on it yet. No GP logo on Blade either. I think its toast at this point.

DaGwaphics

I dont see how GP would really survive. They wont even get 3rd party games ported regularly to a dead console and it wont be allowed on PS. No Activision games on it yet. No GP logo on Blade either. I think its toast at this point.

Not using the Activision games to sell GP is a bizarre one. Especially given that any cannibalization of sales would primarily be on the Xbox side or the Xbox app on PC, which isn't even 10% of the ABK bottom line (not to mention the fact that a good portion of the $ coming from Xbox will be from micro-transactions and thus not effected). And, if the numbers did get majorly impacted that should indicate a windfall in other areas. Maybe the Sony deal has some time that extends beyond the last marketed release, that could have something to do with it. We know that some of their deals do have that.

I <3 my GP, losing that would be tough on cheap bastards everywhere.

Last edited:

skit_data

I wonder if gamepass was a way for MS to get their users to stop buying games so they'd be less burned by this change?
Pretty crazy, that thought crossed my mind literally 2 seconds before I scrolled further down the thread only to see your post

Dural

Yep, over 900 here. While I have around 35 games on Playstation, I just haven't purchased any third party games with PS since 2015 (when Microsoft came out with BC). Whether Microsoft stops making consoles or not I just want there to be some way for me to have access to the games I already own.

Yep, this is me too. I have way too many games going back to the OG Xbox to just get rid of it.

Nydius

Not using the Activision games to sell GP is a bizarre one.
I suppose the question becomes: To whom
are they going to sell it? Most everyone who wants Game Pass already has it. Last estimate I read last year was something between 30-35M people are Game Pass subscribers. Even if every single Xbox One owner (~58M) and every single Xbox Series owner (~28M) bought Game Pass — pretending for a moment there’s no overlap between those two groups — they’d still fall short of the 100M subs they projected by 2027/2028.

Game Pass is unlikely to grow in any meaningful way even if they suddenly had COD, Diablo 4, and a bunch of other ABK games on it.

One other point I’d argue is that it wouldn’t cannibalize just the Xbox side. They’d also be cannibalizing multiplatform sales. If you were to put a game like Diablo 4 up on Game Pass, and I, as a multiplatform gamer, have access to both platforms and subscriptions, I certainly wouldn’t buy the game on PlayStation since I could play it “free” over on Xbox. That is a completely lost sale.

Gamerguy84

If your still interested in that ecosystem and nothing else that would be kind of inconvenient and shooting yourself in the foot

schaft0620

Maybe only if Gears collection go to PS5.
Gears collection is an absolute perfect case for PS5. You want new players to come over and buy Gears 6.

This is what Sony is doing to Xbox. "You can have Persona 5, and FF7 Remake Part 1" then you have that fomo of waiting sometimes years for that next game.

The Series X and S still has all that backwards comparability. They're going NOWHERE.

Its not clear if the cloud is required for Backcompat. I know it uses VMs in the consoles OS but, I am fairly sure that it needs a cloud connection.

Last edited:

Three

I wonder how everyone is gonna feel when it finally comes out that Sony is also going third party? Last great gift from Jim Ryan was his deal with Microsoft. "Fine, we will allow your games on our system if you promise to keep call of duty on Playstation. In return, we also would also like to put our games on Xbox to maximize our playerbase and profits" win win for both companies. Players get larger gaming pool on everything multiplayer. Yay we all win.
Not saying Sony won't make games on xbox but "in return"? You seriously think MS would be doing Sony a favour by "allowing them" to release their games on xbox? Sony don't want to release their games on xbox. If they did MS would be there with open arms because it would be MS that benefit not Sony. Sony doesn't really need that small installbase.

Mobilemofo

In trying to murder Sony, Microsoft have inadvertently stabbed themselves in the face, and we are here to pick the bones off this once fat corpse" - the internet 😅

Top Bottom