• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Jigga117

01_microsoft-flight-simulator-premium-deluxe-1.jpg

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Standard_en.jpg
Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Premium-Deluxe_en.jpg

EU only Physical Edition of Flight Simulator
My father, mother and I can’t wait for this game. We been playing this since Commodore 64

So basically it was gameplay (as in in-engine visuals that would be used for gameplay) visuals already? Even better

I get the cropping and 24 FPS threw people off, but all in all this is great news and means lots of good for next-gen visuals. That HB2 trailer still has the best character animation from any next-gen showpiece so far, easily. Ninja Theory's on the up.
UE5 can display more triangles and ... euh... wtf man are you crazy, you clearly lack tech knowledge 😀.
But yeah if its gameplay, then thats the leap many of us where expecting from Next Gen, but still have my doubts.

Arguments? No you mean insults. Its all they do, post lies and insults to whoever disagrees
Sadly 😑, time will come when they will grow & realise that its just not worth the fight, its just video games, you didnt lost, you dont own sony 😆
My father, mother and I can’t wait for this game. We been playing this since Commodore 64
I hope this game wont cause any type of problems (divorce, fights, etc...) stay strong.

Fuck triangles. We need to move onto squares FFS.

SEGA was already there, but no one listened :(

I'll always love you, Saturn!

UE5 can display more triangles and ... euh... wtf man are you crazy, you clearly lack tech knowledge 😀.
But yeah if its gameplay, then thats the leap many of us where expecting from Next Gen, but still have my doubts.

A bit cautious myself, but at least among 1st party AAA output I think we'll be good getting that level of leap. 3rd party is up for debate. I figure the massive AAA 3rd party games will deliver similar results long as they aren't TOO massively open-world...

...but then AC: Valhalla exists :S

EDIT: Also dunno if anyone else saw but Epic gave out asset streaming size for that UE5 and apparently it was 768 MB/s? I'm guessing this also includes the speedy part near the end of the demo?

If so that's actually smaller than I was thinking and bandwidth-wise wouldn't be out of scope for either of the Series systems whatsoever. Dunno if they are talking raw asset numbers or compressed, however. And of course the consoles benefit from an I/O system that just isn't present on PC ATM.

Either way, that also bodes very well for next-gen across both Sony and MS platforms for games that want to aim for the level of visual fidelity in the UE5 demo (but as an actual game and not, well, a tech demo).

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned

How should OT3 be titled ?

My new console doesn't play old games

My new graphics card doesn't play old games

So basically it was gameplay visuals already? Even better.

I get the cropping and 24 FPS threw people off, but all in all this is great news and means lots of good for next-gen visuals. That HB2 trailer still has the best character animation from any next-gen showpiece so far, easily. Ninja Theory's on the up.

I've noticed in-game and in-engine are becoming interchangeable, but there is a big difference between a reveal video or trailer labeled "in-engine", "in-game" or "gameplay". In-engine means it's using the game engine to display the image but it does not necessarily mean it's indicative of actual gameplay as most in-engine cutscenes aren't. In-game could mean it's taken from anywhere in the game, from a cg cutscene, a real-time cutscene or gameplay. Gameplay literally has to mean taken from gameplay with the controller inputs represented on screen. Pre-release videos labeled as "gameplay" footage are going to be most indicative of what the actual gameplay will look like at release. Preferable it would detail the hardware as well. If they started the event with "All gamplay captured running on Series X" it would tell me exactly what I'm seeing and would squash nay-sayers after the July event before they can even warm up their shit-posting fingers.

Hellblade II trailer was not gameplay visuals but in-engine. Like in-engine cutscenes, most reveal trailers are "in-engine" which literally means they are running using the game engine. It doesn't even mean it's running on the same hardware. In the case of Hellblade II they don't specify what hardware it's running on, so it may have been running in real-time on a workstation approximating the performance of the Series X. I believe at one point it was stated regarding the Hellblade II trailer that it ran on an approximation of the Xbox Series X hardware.

Halo 4 cutscenes are a great example of in-engine cutscenes that were so well optimized that many people assumed they were CG. it wasn't until the game was opened up and you could "play" the cutscene that it was proven the cutscenes were 100% in-engine. What's going on in the cutscenes is that character LODs are extremely high, lighting is highly optimized based on camera direction and only the assets required for the cutscene are rendered from the perspective of the camera, and post-processing effects are cranked to 11. Even things like skyboxes are often removed with a simple flat image of the sky replacing it to free up more power for image quality.

The cutscenes weren't just a running video like a CG cutscene and they were running off the game engine, but they also were not indicative of the gameplay visuals, as good as they were in Halo 4.

Gran Turismo is another great example of in-engine visuals used for scapes mode that are not representative of the gameplay visuals. They aren't CG, but they could easily be mistaken as pre-rendered images with the amount of optimization the scene is getting. In actual racing (in-game) the visuals are very different.

This is likely the case for Hellblade II, as it was for the previous Hellblade title. While the gameplay looked really good, the cutscenes were better looking than the gameplay because of how much more controlled the image was. There are huge levels of optimization used to make each scene as polished and good looking as possible for cutscenes like the Hellblade II trailer.

Worlds most powerful console to play old games

The first thing I ran after I installed my 2080ti:

splattered

My new console doesn't play old games

My new graphics card doesn't play old games

Holy crap... how long have you been playing PC games?

You must have 20+ full gaming rigs sitting around your house with varying generations of graphics cards and games installed to work specifically with each card.

That's pretty amazing, i think we should all take note and start hoarding hardware!

Jigga117

Sadly 😑, time will come when they will grow & realise that its just not worth the fight, its just video games, you didnt lost, you dont own sony 😆

I hope this game wont cause any type of problems (divorce, fights, etc...) stay strong.
Today is completely different then the 80s and 90s where you had one computer and one console. My mother is 64 and my father is 74. My mother was the one that brought home the Atari and got us into gaming. Then my father and I coded out the back of a computer shopping mag to play games on the C64

pULHvN7.jpg

The days of floppy disk. Today they got multiple computers and my kids as well so everyone’s got their own shit.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Good. They should hire the best talent, not try to win some diversity award. We just need to convince black kids that there's success outside of sports and music.
You think blacks are successful sports and music because that's where their "conviction" is? Interesting.
And where do you leave asian and latino kids? I don't see too many in those Playground new hire pictures. Probably at the circus or in gangs, right?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Hellblade II trailer is possible on Xbox Series X. It was not running on some workstation PC.
The footage shown was captured in-engine and reflects the power of Xbox Series X available to developers to deliver new universes, experiences and games in ways you have never imagined.

Hellblade II trailer is possible on Xbox Series X. It was not running on some workstation PC.
Yes but, is it gameplay ? i don't think it's the case, i hope so, only time will tell.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Holy crap... how long have you been playing PC games?

You must have 20+ full gaming rigs sitting around your house with varying generations of graphics cards and games installed to work specifically with each card.

That's pretty amazing, i think we should all take note and start hoarding hardware!
giphy.gif

Are these Fable hints? I hope so, they've got me interested for that one.

Also came across this today. Was hoping it'd give a bit more perspective on DirectStorage perhaps in terms of possible compression ranges that can be applied to XvA (since DS makes up part of XvA), but I don't think it does given it's a NASA project and they'd be crunching uncompressed data most likely, so they probably have 12 Micron 9200s in there (each one has raw peak of 3.5 GB/s).

It does show how well scalable DirectStorage (though this is using Nvidia's implementation, GPUDirectStorage) is in system clusters, which will be very useful for scaling up Series X SSD I/O performance in Azure blades.

Bernkastel

Are these Fable hints? I hope so, they've got me interested for that one.

Also came across this today. Was hoping it'd give a bit more perspective on DirectStorage perhaps in terms of possible compression ranges that can be applied to XvA (since DS makes up part of XvA), but I don't think it does given it's a NASA project and they'd be crunching uncompressed data most likely, so they probably have 12 Micron 9200s in there (each one has raw peak of 3.5 GB/s).

It does show how well scalable DirectStorage (though this is using Nvidia's implementation, GPUDirectStorage) is in system clusters, which will be very useful for scaling up Series X SSD I/O performance in Azure blades.

They are all Rare employees.

Bernkastel

Agreed on this except XCloud should be part of Game Pass Ultimate. No need to pay for Gold, when they have a revenue stream from Game Pass.

Bernkastel

Countdown for Inside Unreal: The Coalition
t1594922400z1.png

Along With

Mike Rayner: Studio Technical Director, The Coalition - @MikeJRayner
Colin Penty - Studio Technical Art Director, The Coalition - @colinpenty
David Coleman - Technical Art Director, The Coalition
Nick Christiani - Lead Level Designer, The Coalition
Victor Brodin - Community Manager - @victor1erp

ZywyPL

Banned
Agreed on this except XCloud should be part of Game Pass Ultimate. No need to pay for Gold, when they have a revenue stream from Game Pass.

IMO they should continue the Silver/Gold naming, like add Platinum option which includes GP, and maybe Platinum later on with something extra, or like a cross plan for both XB and PC.

DrDamn

It's a great idea from a consumer perspective but it's not very realistic. They can't remove the key component that makes people currently sub, add in a product not as many people want - or can use, reduce the price and expect to bring in anywhere near as much revenue. If they make online play free then they need to replace that revenue stream with one which will make them more money.

xCloud needs some integration into the Live membership scheme, and there will likely be a shake-up or new tiers of Gold/GP. Costs in general will go up for consumers if you want it though, with sweeteners like the $1 upgrade deal for GPU to encourage adoption.

T-Cake

Phillippe has new spiel.

Top Bottom