• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

BigLee74

Picked up Today my 2nd XSX for the Theater room 🦸‍♂️

Dat Grill right there, never dissapoint 🤤

PHCYLTe.jpg

That's 2 different trainers, man! What are you doing?

(Im so old and clearly not down with the kids! 😂)

Last edited:

dcx4610

One thing I'm not seeing much talk about is how incredibly good the new controller is. I used the Elite 1 controller for years on PC and got the Elite 2 recently.

Best Buy had controllers out for demoing and honestly, I think I like the new controller better than even the Elite 2. It's slightly less grippy but in a way, I thought the 2 was too grippy. But what really impressed me was the d-pad. I thought in pictures in looked potentially bad but in person, it feels amazing. Very precise and even better than than the cross design on the Elite.

Since I use the controller as my main controller on PC and make heavy use of a d-pad. I'm strongly considering getting the controller and selling my Elite 2. Unfortunately since the design hasn't changed much physically, not many people are talking about it but I think the controller is near perfection now.

Javthusiast

Banned
So until the next gen updates for Cyberpunk hit in 2021, does this mean the Series S will have to run the crappy One S version or the One X version?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
So until the next gen updates for Cyberpunk hit in 2021, does this mean the Series S will have to run the crappy One S version or the One X version?
It seems like both Series S and X will have some BC enhancements on top of the One S|X version.

Javthusiast

Banned
It seems like both Series S and X will have some BC enhancements on top of the One S|X version.

I am still battling with myself whether to keep the Series S or send it back. Can't freaking make up my mind. One day enjoying some game pass games, then thinking, but I also have enough of a backlog on playstation, and if games like Cyberpunk and especially older games, which the S only runs in the One S mode and not with the One X enhancements, run shitty on it, what's even the point. Might as well wait a couple months and get a ps5, which I will be doing anyway cause I am a playstation guy and have been for 20 years.

But the desing is so good and compact, the console is quiet, space capacity is okay so far for my needs. Argh, it's driving me nuts. xD

Also thought about getting a Switch Lite instead, but then the stupid joy con drift issue is giving me another headache over there.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

SafeOrAlone

Banned
New Xbox guy here (since 360 anyway).
Anyone want to play some Halo campaigns this week? Do you like The Simpsons?

Add me on Xbox - Bartman7683.
All my friends have PS.
Only caveats are I prob won't chat much unless one of us needs help, and please don't be insanely good at the game.
Hope to play with some of you guys or girls. Even down to join a 3-4 player campaign.

Last edited:

It’s important to remember that the majority of people don’t have a screen that does 4K120, so there’s an audience that the S is designed for,” said Bibby. “They perhaps won’t need some of the detail the X can achieve. However, it’s important to remember the S is an extremely capable machine, because those hardware differences are focused on delivering a similar experience at a lower resolution.

That is a really smart approach, the device has ray tracing, an SSD, nominally the same CPU as a Series X,” he said. “The only thing it lacks is the power to run at 4K- which simply isn’t always needed, the bedroom TV of some teenage gamer isn’t likely to be a 4K wallhanger beast, so its great for those situations. I would expect the Xbox Series S will be a real differentiator this generation.

One thing I'm not seeing much talk about is how incredibly good the new controller is. I used the Elite 1 controller for years on PC and got the Elite 2 recently.

Best Buy had controllers out for demoing and honestly, I think I like the new controller better than even the Elite 2. It's slightly less grippy but in a way, I thought the 2 was too grippy. But what really impressed me was the d-pad. I thought in pictures in looked potentially bad but in person, it feels amazing. Very precise and even better than than the cross design on the Elite.

Since I use the controller as my main controller on PC and make heavy use of a d-pad. I'm strongly considering getting the controller and selling my Elite 2. Unfortunately since the design hasn't changed much physically, not many people are talking about it but I think the controller is near perfection now.

more of an iteration than a radical change. which is great for me. xbox one controller was my fav, and this is even better

debating on selling my elite series 2. MS also deserves credit on ensuring that the xbox one controllers work on the series x. not having to re-buy all of your controllers is great

Last edited:

dcx4610

more of an iteration than a radical change. which is great for me. xbox one controller was my fav, and this is even better

debating on selling my elite series 2. MS also deserves credit on ensuring that the xbox one controllers work on the series x. not having to re-buy all of your controllers is great

Yep. I thought were close to nailing it with the Xbox One Controller. With the new Core controller, I think it's pretty much perfect with the upgraded d-pad and grips on the triggers and back.

Since Best Buy has them on sale for $39, I decided to pull the trigger and after a day of playing with it, I'm going to sell my Elite. I just like the new d-pad too much and never use the extra features on the Elite. It feels over-engineered and certainly isn't worth $160 MORE than the Core controller.

If anyone wants a good PC controller and makes heavy use out of the d-pad, definitely check out the new controller. Even if you have an Elite.

My only issue is noise, it sounds daft I admit I get slightly irritated by all the clicking the controller makes, specifically the d-pad, even through headphones. Other than that I always liked Xbox controllers, the 360 one in particular was superb for its time.

TBiddy

It’s important to remember that the majority of people don’t have a screen that does 4K120, so there’s an audience that the S is designed for,” said Bibby. “They perhaps won’t need some of the detail the X can achieve. However, it’s important to remember the S is an extremely capable machine, because those hardware differences are focused on delivering a similar experience at a lower resolution.

That is a really smart approach, the device has ray tracing, an SSD, nominally the same CPU as a Series X,” he said. “The only thing it lacks is the power to run at 4K- which simply isn’t always needed, the bedroom TV of some teenage gamer isn’t likely to be a 4K wallhanger beast, so its great for those situations. I would expect the Xbox Series S will be a real differentiator this generation.

One of the most underrated things about the S is the size. It actually fits in a normal home, where you don't want to parade your toys.

Jemm

One of the most underrated things about the S is the size. It actually fits in a normal home, where you don't want to parade your toys.
Also many soldiers, truck drivers and other traveling workers need often some console that is easy transport in small space. XSS is ideal for them. xCloud, too, but a good connection isn't guaranteed everywhere.

-Arcadia-

Banned
OG 360 Dashboard is still the best one to me. For all the options these new ones are offering, I fundamentally don’t do that much in the dashboard.

So this was perfect. Snappy access to five different sections, themselves not weighed down with options. Everything super-easy to find and select. It didn’t get in the way, it just got you where you needed to go, as quickly as possible.

And the look was awesome. Also neat that it matched the console.

Between that and the PS3/PSP XMB, maybe it’s boomerism, but I feel like that was the height for UI.

Top Bottom