• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Troubleshooting - Console won't stay on

shanafan

A co-worker of mine brought his Xbox One into work today that is not staying on when you press the power button. He thought maybe it was the power brick, so I brought in my power brick and we swapped the two, but it didn't help.

Here is the issue he is having. This is a video I found that shows the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaFyAFmaEAM

Basically, you press the power button and the Xbox logo glows, then turns off. We found another video that showed someone pressing the button, and then pressing it twice rapidly and eventually he got it to work. We tried that method, and the Xbox One bootup screen did show up, but then it powered off during the bootup.

I did read this guide on Xbox's website: https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/console/console-wont-power-on, and the power brick's light stays on orange, and then you press the Xbox power button, the power brick's light changes to white, but then back to orange when the console turns off.

Reading through the YouTube comments, some people had to send it back to Microsoft while others were able to fix it.

Anyone here have any suggestions? We called Microsoft, and they want over $100 for us to send it in and diagnose it.

Thanks!

dxdy

Banned
Last time I heard, consoles don't break and don't require tedious diagnostics or asking online for help.

Sounds like a hardware problem absolutely. Could be something as simple as the power board on the console needing to be replaced or something worse that I wouldn't be able to guess.

Some people online have suggested it may be the power cable attached to the PSU.

When you used the new power supply did you use the same plug/cable?

danowat

Banned
You've ruled out the power supply, by using one that is known to work, so the issue is with the console.

Have a look at the power supply connection in the back of the console and compare it to a machine that is known to work and see if there is anything bent or broken.

fernoca

Is this recent?
Kinda wondering if the unit has been in standby and your coworker has been unplugging it while on standby.

kjacobson

Neo Member
I would connect the device to a UPS and see if it remains powered on. Probably worth investing in for your electronics anyways.

shanafan

Make sure you are not plugging it into a surge protector or power strip. The Xbox One is designed to plugged directly into the wall.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/connect-power-supply

I have always used a surge protector at home, but this is an interesting realization. I might have to change my setup going forward.

You guys plugging into a surge protector or a wall outlet?

We are plugging into a surge protector. We can try a wall outlet, but even when we swapped the power bricks, the issue remained.

At home, my working Xbox One's power brick has always been plugged into a surge protector.

shanafan

I had this issue after my power went out one time, I followed this YouTube video and it was fixed no problem, took a few tries to get it right but it worked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Q31B76dgc

That's another video I found, and I mimicked his button presses and eventually we got the Xbox One bootup screen for a 5-10 seconds - but then it turned off again.

However, he mentions hearing a fan slowing down inside the console but with my co-workers console, we never hear a fan.

krang

Sounds like it might be overheating. Although not in a "your TV unit is too small" kinda way - like the thermal paste is poorly coated or something.

I have always used a surge protector at home, but this is an interesting realization. I might have to change my setup going forward.

We are plugging into a surge protector. We can try a wall outlet, but even when we swapped the power bricks, the issue remained.

At home, my working Xbox One's power brick has always been plugged into a surge protector.

I recently found out about it as well.
The Xbox one brick has its own surge protector built into the brick. According to MS from the "console wont power on" article: (http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/console-wont-power-on)

"Your Xbox One power supply is equipped with internal surge protection. Plug the power supply directly into a wall outlet. Some surge protectors can cause the power supply to not work as designed. This can affect performance."

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Figured I'd co-opt this thread for my own small question. I moved to a new place and will now be using the system as the primary bluray player, so I'd like to turn off the light on the front of the system if possible. Any way to do that or will I have to stuff it in a drawer or something?

e-gamer

I had similar issue last week but my console was turning off after ~20 minutes. Even watching Netflix! And it went for the orange light in power brick. Plus, everytime I powered on, there was an alert that the blu-ray app wasn't properly updated.

I keep searching for help on internet and saw that it wasn't an overheating issue, because you have a custom screen for this one. So after some tests I decided to reset the console and delete all the apps and games and the issue went away. And I could see that the blu-ray app is the one that crashes, even after a successful update, it keeps crashing.

shanafan

Update..

I downloaded a Xbox One recovery file, and copied it to a USB flash drive. I followed the steps to use the recovery file, and got the Xbox One to boot up to the "recovery" progress bar - basically loading the contents on the USB flash drive. It showed that it was preparing the flash drive.

Then it turned off again. I think it might be a hardware issue now.

shanafan

I had similar issue last week but my console was turning off after ~20 minutes. Even watching Netflix! And it went for the orange light in power brick. Plus, everytime I powered on, there was an alert that the blu-ray app wasn't properly updated.

I keep searching for help on internet and saw that it wasn't an overheating issue, because you have a custom screen for this one. So after some tests I decided to reset the console and delete all the apps and games and the issue went away. And I could see that the blu-ray app is the one that crashes, even after a successful update, it keeps crashing.

I found this Xbox One turning off during streaming
Your console shuts down unexpectedly while streaming content

Solution 1: Clear persistent storage

To troubleshoot this issue, clear persistent storage. Here's how:

Note Persistent storage is Blu-ray data that's been cached on the console.

Scroll left from Home to open the guide.
Select Settings.
Select All Settings.
Select Disc & Blu-ray.
Select Blu-ray.
Select Persistent storage.
Select Clear persistent storage.
Turn off and unplug your console, and then wait 5 minutes.
Plug in and turn on your console, and try streaming the content again.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/console-turns-off-unexpectedly

lcd

That's another video I found, and I mimicked his button presses and eventually we got the Xbox One bootup screen for a 5-10 seconds - but then it turned off again.

However, he mentions hearing a fan slowing down inside the console but with my co-workers console, we never hear a fan.

Maybe it's a fan issue then. If it's anything like a modern PC then it may be shutting down to prevent damage from overheating if the fan is malfunctioning.

Top Bottom