• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Caayn

I am so hyped to play Ori when I get one of these things. It has been on my wishlist for so long.

Release Below soon, Capy!
Speaking about ORI. That game would benefit from an HDR update, if that's possible with the engine.

It's a joy to play on an OLED display.

Fredrik

Is there a chance that Xbox One S jumpstarts 4K Bluray for the mainstream since it's so "cheap" kind of like PS3 did for OG Bluray and PS2 for DVD?

icespide

Banned
Is there a chance that Xbox One S jumpstarts 4K Bluray for the mainstream since it's so "cheap" kind of like PS3 did for OG Bluray?
I mean it could but its less likely than original bluray imo. a lot more people are totally fine with streaming in 2016

webkatt

Can I use any HDMI cables with this?

I have some off brand $5 cables I got from Fry's back in 2012.

For 4K stuff, I mean.

Haven't been able to find confirmation of this yet. Do you need the Xbox One S to get the increased wireless range on the new contoller?

Not sure if this is built into the S or if the new controllers will offer the same increased range on the original Xbox One.

It's out? Or did you pre-order for Tuesday?
Walked into Gamestop and asked if they had a white xbox one controller. Guy said yeah and got it for me. There was a street date pop up on his computer but he just clicked by it and let me have it. Firing up Forza for my first use now.

etta

my hard graphic balls

For 4K stuff, I mean.
Probably not. There's HDMI 1.4, 2.0a, and 2.0b. If it was cheap and old, it's probably 1.4 or less.

Haven't been able to find confirmation of this yet. Do you need the Xbox One S to get the increased wireless range on the new contoller?

Not sure if this is built into the S or if the new controllers will offer the same increased range on the original Xbox One.
Yes, the increased range only works with the Xbox One S.
Good look with our non HDR-PC-monitors :D

They could only make the normal image artifically worse to make a comparison shot ;-)
No you can still take photographs with a good camera and lighting conditions, and be able to approximate differences by relative features.
Just ask a clerk or Google the model before you assume compatibility.
Are the sticks slightly shorter? Do they feel different at all?

Impulsor

There's no way to see it without a HDR display? Surely they can take a photo of how it looks?

You sorta can though.

you can see there is a difference between the images, specially cotnrast wise, but you will necer be able to appreciate the true difference with out seeing an HDR display.

The best way is to see an HDR display displaying HDR and SDR content.

webkatt

I was at the MS store the other day and they had some controller shells on display.

dKytwXm.jpg

NXGamer

What is HDR10? Looking for a new TV for my PC and Xbox One S etc.

HDR10 is the Ultra Premium brand base, i.e. the Minimum a TV can support to be classified HDR. Dolby is the higher 12-Bit colour.

You can learn more about it all in my video here and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X4K69BJKD4 and on my site.

If you do have any questions please ask away.

For 4K stuff, I mean.

Yes, pretty much MOST cables are Cat 2 rated and will support the new standard (HDMI 2.0 and 4K/60, HDR)

HDR10 is the Ultra Premium brand base, i.e. the Minimum a TV can support to be classified HDR. Dolby is the higher 12-Bit colour.

You can learn more about it all in my video here and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X4K69BJKD4 and on my site.

Yes, pretty much MOST cables are Cat 2 rated and will support the new standard (HDMI 2.0 and 4K/60, HDR)
Really helpfull and going to watch the video and read the site before purcasing my next tv!

iMax

You sorta can though.

you can see there is a difference between the images, specially cotnrast wise, but you will necer be able to appreciate the true difference with out seeing an HDR display.

The best way is to see an HDR display displaying HDR and SDR content.

Or you can just resample both images into the conventional colour space to emphasise the difference.

cackhyena

This is the kinda of thing I've been looking for. Thanks.

SFenton

The S also has improved controller connectivity, right?

It's primarily the reason I'm getting one. Sick of controller disconnects on my fat.

(Also I want to turn my fat into a devkit.)

Blam

The S also has improved controller connectivity, right?

It's primarily the reason I'm getting one. Sick of controller disconnects on my fat.

(Also I want to turn my fat into a devkit.)

Turning your console into a devkit does not effect anything to do with it. You can still do everything you always did.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

THE:MILKMAN

So any idea what the power consumption of this sleek console is?

Not that I've seen. Everyone that has one early don't have a watt meter but a few here like me have a watt meter but no console. I have even asked Microsoft reps directly if it is 14nm and they just ignore the question. That at least would tell us it will use a lot less power.

The Beard

Anyone know if a 1080p can display video from a UHD BluRay? Obviously it would be downscaled to 1080p, but is it possible? Or would it not accept the signal because of HDMI port capability?

Izuna

Banned
Anyone know if a 1080p can display video from a UHD BluRay? Obviously it would be downscaled to 1080p, but is it possible? Or would it not accept the signal because of HDMI port capability?

Obviously

-- well, most likely the Xbox One will be set to your output resolution do it all for you, not your TV

Cool video/ nice voice :eek:

edit: although, is it not a litttttle bit misleading to show PS4 footage while explaining HDR? ah okay, the video itself doesn't match what's on screen a bunch. constructive criticism? =P

Caayn

You can learn more about it all in my video here
I've only watched the HDR part of this video but you're glossing over and confusing certain elements in your video. For example the UHD Premium branding is separate from being HDR capable and such a TV can advertise itself as HDR capable without supporting 90% of the P3 colour spectrum.

I have questions. Is HDR something you toggle on a 4K HDR capable television? Is it like game mode which you have to choose? Does the tv automatically detect an HDR source and enable the mode itself?

Does HDR have any effect on input lag? For example I always play on game mode on my tv and would do the same in a future 4K HDR set. Would I have to toggle HDR on within game mode?

Lots of questions I know. Also keep up the awesome work on your YT channel.

Hawk269

For those of you who are interested in 4K Blu-ray movies, the two best as of now are Deadpool and The Revenant. Both take full advantage of 4K and HDR. Regarding The Revenant I've read nothing but spectacular reviews about its image quality.

I have not seen Revenant as of yet, but out of the 15 or so UHD movies, Life of Pi has been the most stunning movie in 4k/UHD yet. It was truly incredible looking.

The Xbox One S will output all video at the selected resolution. So if you select 1080p, it'll transmit a 1080p signal to your TV. Even when playing UHD blu-ray, the Xbox One S will downscale the video to 1080p. You don't need to worry about HDCP2.2 or other nasty things, the Xbox One S will handle it all.

Is this confirmed or is this an assumption?

MCD

I have 2.0 HDMI from Amazon Basics. Should I use it or use the included cable with the One S?

I have questions. Is HDR something you toggle on a 4K HDR capable television? Is it like game mode which you have to choose? Does the tv automatically detect an HDR source and enable the mode itself?

Does HDR have any effect on input lag? For example I always play on game mode on my tv and would do the same in a future 4K HDR set. Would I have to toggle HDR on within game mode?

There's no standard for how HDR is supposed to be enabled on your TV. All manufacturers are doing it differently. You need to consult the manual for whatever 4k HDR TV you have. Also go to avsforums. They typically have threads for the model you own.

ACH1LL3US

Can we still plug the controller in wired and have the controller use the wire for data and turn off the wireless signal from the controller?

I ask because this a new controller with bluetooth.

Hawk269

I have 2.0 HDMI from Amazon Basics. Should I use it or use the included cable with the One S?

It should work, but if it doesn't then switch to the included one. Some HDMI cables cannot handle the bandwidth, so if you are not sure, testing it when you hook up your "S" is what you can do. From someone who posted a video showing the menu system, when you select 4k/HDR from the Settings menu, it will run a quick test to see if you set is compatible with all the 4k/HDR stuff. If it is not, it will let you know. In that video it suggests if a test fails, that it could be the HDMI cable.

ive tried searching a specific tv and cannot find anything that says if it has HDR or not. If its not touted on the box, then it probably doesnt have it right? This is the model number from best buy UN65JU6700FXZA. It has something called PurColor and something called UHD dimming on the box, not sure if that is some kind of replacement for HDR

Caayn

Is this confirmed or is this an assumption?
Sorry it's an assumption based the HDCP 2.2 spec. I'll edit that into the post. Edit: Might as well remove it, before I give someone the wrong idea.
ive tried searching a specific tv and cannot find anything that says if it has HDR or not. If its not touted on the box, then it probably doesnt have it right? This is the model number from best buy UN65JU6700FXZA. It has something called PurColor and something called UHD dimming on the box, not sure if that is some kind of replacement for HDR
That model isn't HDR compatible.

Hawk269

On my 4k Set I can engage the HDR mode manually, but it looks bad because when I do I am not using HDR content. I have the Samsung UHD player and when it starts, my set detects the HDR signal and automatically changes to HDR Mode. Within the HDR mode, there are some settings that I can turn off, but others that I cannot. I did find a work around however. Without sending a HDR signal, I manually activated HDR. I then was able to turn off certain things that it turns on automatically, but there still were a few that I could not touch. When I re-engaged HDR by playing a UHD movie, it did keep my changes. Again, there were certain things I could not turn off, but the majority of things that could cause higher input lag, I was able to disable. I won't know for sure on the ones that I cannot change have an impact on gaming since we don't have any HDR games till Forza Horizon 3.

Flux

I really don't need to upgrade to the S. But I really want one.

Perhaps I can retire my launch 360 from its Netflix duties.

Dominator

I don't know why I'm so hyped to get this, I've had a One since launch lol

The sleekness is off the charts, I think that's why.

Would it be worth upgrading to the 500G Xbox One S if I'm planning on purchasing the Scorpio next year? I got the Day One Xbox One and it's beginning to crap itself, especially when it comes to the disc tray; it jams itself every now and again and always has trouble reading discs. I think my warranty deal still is active for a little longer, but if that falls through, should I pick this up or just deal with it for another year?

Top Bottom