• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

etta

my hard graphic balls
I mean it's a big heatsink with a 130 mm fan that runs at low rpm's. It is kinda hard to make that design noisy.
It could be using the asymmetric blades design to spread sound signatures over a wider range of frequencies and thus making it seem quieter.

YTXUX5tHTshG4SY6.huge

Maybe a stupid question... But do we know the Xbox One S 1TB and 500GB have openings in them for the stand? You cant buy them seperate as far as I know but wanted to sell mine since I can't stand the stand (badumtss..)

Or maybe give them away or something
Yes, you can buy the stand separately ($20 USD).

Maybe a stupid question... But do we know the Xbox One S 1TB and 500GB have openings in them for the stand? You cant buy them seperate as far as I know but wanted to sell mine since I can't stand the stand (badumtss..)

Or maybe give them away or something

Angel_DvA

My order was placed, couldn't resist the deal here ( Console S 2TO + Headseat Siberia + BvS Ultra HD 4K bluray for 399€ ), can't wait.

I want it bad, but have 4 xbone and truly no need for this right now. I also want it in a dark color. So I decided for once I'll wait for a new color and deal. Hopefully here's a Titanfall 2 themed one when the game drops.

How's this:

Also, thanks to everyone, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the OT!

I would add the following

Q: What is HDR and what do I need?
A: HDR (High Dynamic Range) is basically more colours, better blacks, and better whites. Current technology (8-bit) only allows for 16 million colours. HDR is 10-bit and allows for 1 billion colours. More colours = more vibrant image rendered. Xbox One S uses the HDR10 open standard (which is also by far the most common standard), but not the Dolby Vision proprietary standard. Some TV models use only Dolby Vision and not HDR10, but some manufacturers like Vizio have issued software updates so that their Dolby Vision models (Series P and M) will support HDR10 (and thus supporting Xbox One S' HDR standard). Also look for the UHD Premium sticker on the TV box, this means that the TV fully supports the HDR10 open standard. If it does not have the UHD Premium logo but says it does support HDR make sure the HDR is HDR10

For those of you who are interested in 4K Blu-ray movies, the two best as of now are Deadpool and The Revenant. Both take full advantage of 4K and HDR. Regarding The Revenant I've read nothing but spectacular reviews about its image quality.

coolbrys

For those of you who are interested in 4K Blu-ray movies, the two best as of now are Deadpool and The Revenant. Both take full advantage of 4K and HDR. Regarding The Revenant I've read nothing but spectacular reviews about its image quality.

I can tell you from owning both of those movies in UHD, they are incredible. I'd say Revenant is the better quality of the two, but you can't go wrong with either. Sicario also looks great.

HDR is the best new display technology I've seen since 1080p or OLED came out personally, which is why I have a S preordered. I can't wait to play some HDR games!

It's a nice looking system, and pretty sleek. I've used it once, but don't own one.

I'm glad the controllers now have the grips as default, but wish they were more pronounced. They're not as good as what you get with the Special Edition Forza or Lunar White controllers, which is too bad, but at least they're there.

I'm thinking about getting one, but the price is a deterrent.

cackhyena

I can tell you from owning both of those movies in UHD, they are incredible. I'd say Revenant is the better quality of the two, but you can't go wrong with either. Sicario also looks great.

HDR is the best new display technology I've seen since 1080p or OLED came out personally, which is why I have a S preordered. I can't wait to play some HDR games!
You have a tv that takes advantage? Are there many of those out? I'm curious if there is any noticing that stuff on a regular tv.

coolbrys

You have a tv that takes advantage? Are there many of those out? I'm curious if there is any noticing that stuff on a regular tv.

Yes, I have a Samsung JS8500, which was their flagship flat screen 4KTV last year. I love it, and am definitely happy I sprung for a model that supported HDR. As a first year implementation, it's amazing and I can't imagine what it will look like on displays a few years from now, when the tech is really fleshed out.

There are a lot of TVs now that support HDR10, in varying nits and panels and everything else that confuses the buyer as they research. I think I saw a 50" set that supported HDR for $500 the other day, which is a great price. Definitely try to look for a demo next time you are at Best Buy or wherever.

From what I understand though, there is no benefit of HDR on a TV that doesn't support it - the information just doesn't get sent to the television, and the movie just looks "normal".

VRMN

My new 4K TV (yes HDR10) arrives Monday right before my new Xbox One S. Can't say the tech geek inside me isn't excited.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
As soon as they're out in the UK I'm buying the new controller for my PC, so damn sexy.

Super happy vizio was able to update their 2016 p-series and m-series with hdr10 via hdmi input before the release of this.

But im holding out until the 500g comes out.

Hope some review place goes over all the technical things like audio/videof and any settings that are in the Xbox one S.

Impulsor

Is the 2TB Xbox One S a limited deal? I mean, is it just a launch edition that will go away after stock runs out?

cackhyena

Yes, I have a Samsung JS8500, which was their flagship flat screen 4KTV last year. I love it, and am definitely happy I sprung for a model that supported HDR. As a first year implementation, it's amazing and I can't imagine what it will look like on displays a few years from now, when the tech is really fleshed out.

There are a lot of TVs now that support HDR10, in varying nits and panels and everything else that confuses the buyer as they research. I think I saw a 50" set that supported HDR for $500 the other day, which is a great price. Definitely try to look for a demo next time you are at Best Buy or wherever.

From what I understand though, there is no benefit of HDR on a TV that doesn't support it - the information just doesn't get sent to the television, and the movie just looks "normal".

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll probably wait until sometime next year on that. I'd love an OLED with HDR.

Very silent according to this.

No measurements tho.

Impressive , considering the size and no power brick. I hope the Scorpio is going to be similar in that way. But i am going to assume it will be much bigger.

Should be same as original as it uses the same cooling solution. I guess it works for them but I find it ugly. A black version should hide the cutout better.

Ldurczd.jpg

Black could be nice but man i love this white. For some reason i don't really dig the Xbox One in black but i really dig it in white. WHereas i really loved the Xbox 360 slim (latest model)

you won't be able

There's no way to see it without a HDR display? Surely they can take a photo of how it looks?

Caayn

There's no way to see it without a HDR display? Surely they can take a photo of how it looks?
Then how do you want to display that picture?

It's like showing the difference between red and blue on a black and white tv. You'll see some difference in the gray tint but not the actual difference.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am so hyped to play Ori when I get one of these things. It has been on my wishlist for so long.

Release Below soon, Capy!

Top Bottom