• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The December 2010 Thread

Gowans

I had stuff to do tonight still managed to play 45mins of ZP2KX, great game & plenty of people playing already.

I've been out of touch with the Indie Games for a while, but holy shit at radiangames. Every single one of their titles I've played have felt polished and well executed... and they're all 80 points.

I decided to buy all of them. There's one there I probably wont play much of, but I certainly think they deserve it. Very impressive.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
An action-RPG from the guys that did Miner Dig Deep? Ruh roh. :D

It doesn't look all that hot. The released media lacks charm and character. =\

scr_1.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Dani said:

I think the fact it's a co-op playable Action RPG will be the charming part, however. (Why it's taken anyone this long to make a Secrets of Mana-a-like is confusing, ha.)

And it looks kinda like Ventron's Bonded Realities! What're the chances?

The first good Action RPG that looks like, say, Albert Odyssey, graphic wise, will probably get a near instant-purchase from me :lol

Everyone's gotta start somewhere though! As long as there's good gameplay under it, then it'll all balance out.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:

scr_1.jpg

It's okay. The box art is terrible, but the in-game stuff has character. Not necessarily charm, though. :lol

It's the same kind of art they had for Miner Dig Deep, which was lovely. But the best thing about that game was the gameplay, which had a quasi-RPG hook to it. (explore --> loot --> sell --> buy upgrades to explore/loot better --> repeat) I've put a good 30 hours into that game. Regardless of the pedestrian art, if they can get that kind of hook right in the new one, it will be great.

Kafel

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I think a lot of devs use pixel art or other stylized art for a reason. If the gameplay is good it won't matter much though.

Yeah, or at least do something minimalist/cute that hides most of what you can't draw.

miner-dig-deep.jpg

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
I have playtested it, I can attest to the gameplay being very strong. They are also putting many coats of polish on it, which can be painstaking as you near the end of a project - so I commend them on that.

(I agree the art is nothing special - but when you see it in action, is definitely passible)

Bam. I beat Epic Dungeon on (I think) my first try. I can't remember for sure if I died at all before making this character, but I left the game on level 25 since like 2 weeks ago and finished it tonight. Total time 2:26:21.

Edit: NM, I looked at my scoreboard and I had one other character who only made it to level 3. So this was my second character.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Was playing some Prismatic Solid yesterday... pretty impressive graphics for an indie, but what really stands out is the awesome music. Seriously, a lot of indie games I've noticed have terrible soundtracks, but this game, it has a very electronic, breakbeat esque soundtrack that wouldn't be out of place in a PS1 game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Did anyone notice that the "Games & Demos" section is now sorted like this:

Arcade > On Demand > Indie > Demos.

So now you can see the Indie Games channel right up front!

djtiesto said:
Was playing some Prismatic Solid yesterday... pretty impressive graphics for an indie, but what really stands out is the awesome music. Seriously, a lot of indie games I've noticed have terrible soundtracks, but this game, it has a very electronic, breakbeat esque soundtrack that wouldn't be out of place in a PS1 game.
:eek:

Adding to the queue. :)

Sharkington said:
Why do I have to download a huge patch every time I download a trial?

You should only have to DL it once after you got the new dashboard. Are you going into memory management and deleting your Indie Games frequently, by any chance? The patch is located with all the games and saves on your storage device, so if you group delete the whole section, you'll delete the patch too and possibly have to download it again.

Gowans

Princess Skittles said:
Did anyone notice that the "Games & Demos" section is now sorted like this:

Arcade > On Demand > Indie > Demos.

So now you can see the Indie Games channel right up front!

Yeah it's happened a few days ago, loads better for them.

Demos normally have a big ad on the Dash anyway.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
djtiesto said:
Solar Hoops' gameplay is also overshadowed by it's awesome jazz soundtrack.

nli10

Aphelion 2 is up

Only 240 which surprised me. No 400 point games in the IU so far then?

I'm not trialing or buying yet as I want to look at the first one first so I'd be interested in impressions and whether sequential play is essential/important/recommended/pointless.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
nli10 said:
Aphelion 2 is up

Only 240 which surprised me. No 400 point games in the IU so far then?

I'm not trialing or buying yet as I want to look at the first one first so I'd be interested in impressions and whether sequential play is essential/important/recommended/pointless.
Delve Deeper is the only upcoming 400 pt XBLIG game I know of, but it's not an IU title.

GhaleonEB

Gowans007 said:
Yeah it's happened a few days ago, loads better for them.

Demos normally have a big ad on the Dash anyway.
I gave MS a lot of grief about the initial change to the Indie games change, so I'm glad to see they've backpedaled. There's an increasingly strong series of games on the channel and they really deserve more attention.
OnPoint said:
Snapped up Score Rush last night. What a great time. Also grabbed Soulcaster and was surprised at its awesomeness. Can't wait to finish it and get cracking on Soulcaster 2.
Glad to see another convert. I really dig the Soulcaster games. I'm still chipping away at the Hard mode of Soulcaster II, which lives up to its name.

OnPoint

Snapped up Score Rush last night. What a great time. Also grabbed Soulcaster and was surprised at its awesomeness. Can't wait to finish it and get cracking on Soulcaster 2.

Regarding price, I might not buy quite so many of these if they go over 240 points. They'd really have to make it worth my while.

RetroGreg

Played the demo to Score Rush and the gameplay was really fun, but I was having the audio crackling problem. I can't deal with that. Too bad because I would have bought it.

Enk

makes good threads.
Instantly purchased. As someone who is also making an XNA Metroidvania in a similar vein I definitely appreciate all the work that went into what I've played so far. The shooting feels right, enemies have more than just the basic patterns, atmosphere is great and the music fits the mood perfectly. Solid work so far.

Astroman is nice stuff.
It reminds me of some shareware PC game from the early 90s with level-design out of some old NES game(the second stage beginning was something straight out of Metroid).

Time to get serious though. I wanna sit down before too long and review every damn indie game I've purchased this year. It'll be quite the endeavor I'm sure(looking at 50+ games I think)

Kafel

Banned
Yeah, maybe it would be time again for the XBLIG to gain more exposure on GAF in a thread where everyone posts his favorites of 2010, since we won't have the December ttk thread.

Kafel said:
Yeah, maybe it would be time again for the XBLIG to gain more exposure on GAF in a thread where everyone posts his favorites of 2010, since we won't have the December ttk thread.
There will be a December thread still, though, it's just not me doing it!

Feep

Banned
Is the general perception of 400 point XBLIG's "no fucking way"? I'm still debating whether to price my title at 240 or 400, but something tells me that no matter how polished or lengthy my game ends up being, it still doesn't make business sense to roll with 400 MSP.

These kids, getting my 12-hour game for 3 bucks. :lol :lol :lol

Just a month or two left...

GhaleonEB said:
Retiring?
Nooo. I've just had no broadband all month so can't play any Indie Games, let alone download new ones. I moved house at the start of December and they can't get my phone line set up until the middle of January. It's a living hell :(

Feep said:
Is the general perception of 400 point XBLIG's "no fucking way"? I'm still debating whether to price my title at 240 or 400, but something tells me that no matter how polished or lengthy my game ends up being, it still doesn't make business sense to roll with 400 MSP.

The problem with 400pt games is the amount of 400pt XBLA games, that come with leaderboards and achievements and stuff like that. So regardless of the quality of your game, it still will feel like worse value to a lot of people. 240 is better I think, and I guess how Cthulhu does will be a really interesting thing to look at.

Feep said:

Yeah, I agree with Toys, 400pts will kill it. It will sell upwards of twice as much at 240 (probably 3 to 4 times) and if it is good it should stay up on the top rated and top downloaded sections indefinitely. But at 400, it would be all but forgotten in a few days.

Kafel

Banned
Feep said:

You'd have to strongly believe your game is in the top 5 XBLIG to risk pricing it at 400 points.

I would have bought Dust at 400 points if it was still a XBLIG game, maybe that Hamster edition game if I was into music but nothing else really. At 400 points you're against solid XBLA games and even recent and hyped ones on sale.

Feep

Banned
I firmly, FIRMLY believe my title is top-5 material, but yeah, I still think a 400 MSP point would destroy it. The only thing I'm maybe considering is a Super Meat Boy-like 240 MSP intro price as a "bonus", and then raise it to 400 MSP later.

The game is called "Sequence". When I head back home I'm gonna put together a proper launch trailer. Here's some slightly out-of-date gameplay footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1QqvQy2cDs

Rhythm/RPG hybrid, and all that.

Feep said:
I firmly, FIRMLY believe my title is top-5 material, but yeah, I still think a 400 MSP point would destroy it. The only thing I'm maybe considering is a Super Meat Boy-like 240 MSP intro price as a "bonus", and then raise it to 400 MSP later.

The game is called "Sequence". When I head back home I'm gonna put together a proper launch trailer. Here's some slightly out-of-date gameplay footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1QqvQy2cDs

Rhythm/RPG hybrid, and all that.

It doesn't look bad, but yeah, I don't think it will sell at 400. Would be a shame if you killed it with pricing.

Keep in mind the top indie title in sales and money generated is a 80pt game.

Also, I think Twin Blades did that with the pricing as well, well they upped it to 400 with a pretty big update. You might want to look into what that did to their sales. It's a fairly obscure title now.

Anyway, good luck with your game, it at least looks pretty unique. You might also want to consider getting it on Steam, I bet PC gamers would eat it up.

Top Bottom