• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The December 2010 Thread

On Decimation X3, is there still no online leaderboards?

Edit: Ah, so there aren't. That kinda sucks, it seems like largely the same thing other than the bosses. (As far as I could tell from the extremely limited trial).

And I seem to recall them saying they were going to patch leaderboards into the original...

Wednesday Screen Update: The Hero Shows No Mercy

al_screen_c1sm.jpg

al_screen_c2sm.jpg

Anyone know of someone ( artists ) interested in building the HUD for this game?...and perhaps the menus as well?

Enk

makes good threads.
HadesGigas said:

Edit: Ah, so there aren't. That kinda sucks, it seems like largely the same thing other than the bosses. (As far as I could tell from the extremely limited trial).

And I seem to recall them saying they were going to patch leaderboards into the original...

When I decimated (pun intended) the first place with my 1,781,00 score I was pumping fist in the air until I looked at the names on the "leaderboard". My fist then quietly lowered.

GhaleonEB said:
Asteroids Do Concern Me has one of the most hilarious opening text scrolls I've ever seen. It's amazing.

Only gave the game a few minutes though. The ship is incredibly heavy, and letting go of the trust makes it fall like a rock. I did about a dozen attempts and never lasted more than ten seconds. It just didn't feel graceful at all. People with more skill and patience than I might love it though; it just kicked my ass out the gates.
Oh. It sounds like it suffers from exactly the same problem that makes all Helicopter Game clones rubbish.

HadesGigas said:

Amazing decision. Probably won't bother buying it now. After promising all year that DX would get leaderboards I can't believe they're not in DX3 from the start. What possible reason is there for it?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
barkers crest said:
Wednesday Screen Update: The Hero Shows No Mercy

Anyone know of someone ( artists ) interested in building the HUD for this game?...and perhaps the menus as well?

I'd be interested but I wouldn't be able. :lol

Score Rush is fucking fantastic as well as DX3. Yeah its a bummer they don't have leader boards, but seriously support them anyways. It's only 80 points and their games are pretty polished, and really fun.

AzBat

InfectedZero said:
Score Rush is fucking fantastic as well as DX3. Yeah its a bummer they don't have leader boards, but seriously support them anyways. It's only 80 points and their games are pretty polished, and really fun.

Bummer is an understatement. They PROMISED online leaderboards for Decimation X. For them to not follow through with that is just as unimaginable as not including them in their newer titles. Haven't tried Score Rush yet, but I'll agree that Decimation X3 is probably the best, if not one of the best, retro-styled schumps on XBLIG. But that still doesn't get them off the hook for not including online leaderboards.

AzBat said:
Bummer is an understatement. They PROMISED online leaderboards for Decimation X. For them to not follow through with that is just as unimaginable as not including them in their newer titles. Haven't tried Score Rush yet, but I'll agree that Decimation X3 is probably the best, if not one of the best, retro-styled schumps on XBLIG. But that still doesn't get them off the hook for not including online leaderboards.

Do any indie games have online leaderboards? I don't think so, right? I thought I read somewhere that indie games don't get leaderboards. It's only when you move to Live Arcade that you can implement leaderboards into your titles? Of course, I could totally be wrong here. :lol

nli10

SAB CA said:
Chu's Dynasty is finally out , 240 points: US Marketplace Page

Downloading Trial Now ^_^

Same.

Woo!

240 seems really cheap - if any of the IU were 400 I'd have said it was this.

And Break Limit is up too.

nextgeneration said:
Do any indie games have online leaderboards? I don't think so, right? I thought I read somewhere that indie games don't get leaderboards. It's only when you move to Live Arcade that you can implement leaderboards into your titles? Of course, I could totally be wrong here. :lol

MotorHEat does and it's an 80 point driving game. Even Denki didn't manage to do leader-boards in Juggle! though so maybe it's hard.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
nextgeneration said:
Yes, some do (radiangames Fireball, for example).

HOWEVER, it's not.. normal. They don't (yet) have proper support for it in the XNA libraries, there's some kind of "connect to another player that is online" workaround that is being used right now, which is probably why there are not a lot of games that have leaderboads at this time.

Just bought Score Rush. Didn't even bother with the trial, as these guys know what they're doing. If you are a shooter fan, buy this game and support these guys. Sure, it may not have leaderboards, but it's only $1! And for the quality you're getting, this game is a steal, much like all of Xona's other games.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Early Impression of Chu:
Wow. A voiced/animated intro for each of the 4 charas in campaign mode, suprising. Their movesets are actually... fleshed out. You can combo moves together well, and the stages are quite gorgeous. I've noticed stationary stages, and moving stages.

The game looks a bit off when zooming around at times, but nothing too bad. Controls are doing everything I want; double tap down to fall through platforms, double jumps, some strong smashes, enough hitstun to combo well, super attacks, etc.

Seems pretty well developed for such an inexpensive product!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SAB CA said:
Early Impression of Chu:
Wow. A voiced/animated intro for each of the 4 charas in campaign mode, suprising. Their movesets are actually... fleshed out. You can combo moves together well, and the stages are quite gorgeous. I've noticed stationary stages, and moving stages.

The game looks a bit off when zooming around at times, but nothing too bad. Controls are doing everything I want; double tap down to fall through platforms, double jumps, some strong smashes, enough hitstun to combo well, super attacks, etc.

Seems pretty well developed for such an inexpensive product!
The YouTube trailers looked a little on the choppy side. But that might have been due to the capture or compression. Is the animation/framerate in the actual game smooth enough to give the the characters' movements visual coherency?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SapientWolf said:
The YouTube trailers looked a little on the choppy side. But that might have been due to the capture or compression. Is the animation/framerate in the actual game smooth enough to give the the characters' movements visual coherency?

Overall, yes. It is still a bit choppy + the odd occasional zoom stuff, but I think it's a bit cleaner than the trailer.

It's looking increasingly likely that I'm not going to have broadband until January. I signed up and they can't even install a phoneline until January 21st, unless I bitch so much they change their mind. Bitching is the plan, anyway.

Obviously this puts the January thread under threat because I can't play my old games, let alone any new ones. If someone wants to take it on, PM me and I can send you all my stuff. It's a fair bit of work though, so be sure you've got the hours to spare over the next few weeks!

I'm still hopeful I can do it. It's just massively unlikely. If there's no volunteers, I'll do a double-thread at the start of February, or something.

nli10

toythatkills said:
It's looking increasingly likely that I'm not going to have broadband until January. I signed up and they can't even install a phoneline until January 21st, unless I bitch so much they change their mind. Bitching is the plan, anyway.

Obviously this puts the January thread under threat because I can't play my old games, let alone any new ones. If someone wants to take it on, PM me and I can send you all my stuff. It's a fair bit of work though, so be sure you've got the hours to spare over the next few weeks!

I'm still hopeful I can do it. It's just massively unlikely. If there's no volunteers, I'll do a double-thread at the start of February, or something.

Short of wireless console/generous neighbours it does sound difficult - the downside of indie games I guess.

I don't think I'll have much time in Jan due to Uni, but I'm sure that a mass effort could be organised if one person co-ordinated the thread.

Chus Dynasty is probably the most professional-feeling XBLIG I've played; I just wish the animation was a bit more fluid. The gorgeous painted graphics have resulted in the animation looking extremely choppy and it's really, really distracting.

I tried Tempura of the Dead and everything seems cool - except for the central mechanic of juggling the heads. I just can't get a hold of them after I wax the zombies. Cool look and concept, but the controls feel clumsy to me.

RadarScope1 said:
I tried Tempura of the Dead and everything seems cool - except for the central mechanic of juggling the heads. I just can't get a hold of them after I wax the zombies. Cool look and concept, but the controls feel clumsy to me.

I don't think it's possible with Sugimoto using the sword, you have to do it with Obama using the machine gun.

Anyway, it's great game.

Kafel

Banned
besiktas1 said:
That footy game is very good. Its only 80 points I might bite.

Is it like Subbuteo ? How do you play exactly, by turn ?

I'll only be able to play the new indie games next week-end. : (

besiktas1

Kafel said:
Is it like Subbuteo ? How does you play exactly, by turn ?

I'll only be able to play the new indie games next week-end. : (
Unfortunately not. It's in real time, twin stick controlled. RT passes and shoots. LT changes player an RT charges/tackles when defending. I found it really fun.

Enk

makes good threads.
binary said:
Decimation is awesome. It's easily my indie game of the month.

Same here, but I have yet to put time into Score Rush. Despite it being a seemingly straight forward Space Invaders clone there's something about being able to upgrade your gun further and further and further that makes it so addicting. Can't wait Decimation X4!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FateBreaker said:
I'm sorry if that has been answered or something something, but when is that new RPG from the Breath of Fire VII guys due out?

Within the month. Was supposed to be the first week of December but seems to have slipped a tad.

Here's their website, if you want to track progress; most of the posts are ads for other Winter Uprising games, but there's plenty on Cthulhu Saves the World:
http://zeboyd.com/

GhaleonEB

Stumpokapow said:
Within the month. Was supposed to be the first week of December but seems to have slipped a tad.

Here's their website, if you want to track progress; most of the posts are ads for other Winter Uprising games, but there's plenty on Cthulhu Saves the World:
http://zeboyd.com/
Thanks for the link. From the last update:
On the business side of things, we NEED to get Cthulhu Saves the World out this month with some time to spare. How much Cthulhu Saves the World sells in December will determine how much time we have to work on game development during the first few months of 2011 – we’ll get paid in February for any sales we make in December, but we won’t get paid until May for any sales made in the first quarter of 2011. If we can manage to sell 10,000 copies or more of Cthulhu Saves the World in December, I could go full time game development. If we manage to sell 5,000 copies or so, I’m looking at the same sort of development we do now (part-time job, develop in my spare time). And if we somehow miss releasing it in December and don’t sell anything, well, we’re looking at close to no-time development, because I’ll probably have to grab a second job just to make ends meet.

Looking back at things, we really should have done another smaller project after Breath of Death VII to try to get some more revenue coming in before we tackled something as ambitious as Cthulhu Saves the World. Pride cometh before the fall and all that. On the plus side, as far as quality goes, Cthulhu Saves the World is turning out even better than I had hoped – I think it will end up doing even better in sales and rating than Breath of Death VII once we manage to get it released, despite the higher price tag.
Hopefully it does well enough that they can go to full time development. An indie ecosystem strong enough to support dedicated developers doing the kind of games they do would be a great thing.

On Epic Dungeon sales:

Also, the first game in the Indie Games Winter Uprising, Epic Dungeon, sold about 1,000 copies in the first day or so that it was up, which cause it to skyrocket up to the #1 slot in the Daily Purchases chart on the dashboard. It’s also currently in the top 20 best rated in the US (#11 at the time I’m writing this post). Quite a good start to the promotion, don’t you think? It will be very interesting to see how the other games perform and if any of them can surpass that.

Nose Master

Wow. Retro-One is like a 4 year old trying to code R-Type. Even the ship is pretty much the same sprite with a few changes. :lol

Popstar said:
You can juggle with Sugimoto. His swing is a bit slow so you need to anticipate a bit when trying to juggle with him. He has the advantage that it takes less hits to tempura a head.

It's easier with Sugi, imo. Just jump and spam the attack button, you move upwards with the head perfectly, and get the tempura in two swings.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh come on. The "charging-up" sound effect is ripped straight out of Megaman.

Reminds me just a bit too much of Link's Awakening in other aspects but whatever...I'll buy it.

Probably placeholder, the enemy hit sounds ripped from Mario 64 too. It mentions placeholder music in the description.

Also looks like theres a PC demo. Needs XNA

GhaleonEB

HadesGigas said:
And it's great. I went through the first dozen levels on Normal, just so I could do it again on Hard later. Going pretty quickly, probably because the difficulty curve was constructed around new players. Loving the bump the graphics took and the music is at least as good as the first.

The original is one of my two favorite XBLIG on the service (Miner Dig Deep being the other). This looks to be at least as good. Plus, it has a password save system this time around (with an option to actually auto-save your password). He had to patch that into the first one.

Between this and Epic Dungeon, I'm drowning in old-school dungeon crawl awesome right now.

Download a few new trials:

Drum Studio: Platinum Edition is what it says on the tin, a drum machine. You can import songs(although not in the demo) record your own loops, & has some online features(you can send songs to friends, & jam with people online) not a fan of the artstyle of the characters but you can use your Avatar I suppose. It looks like RB/GH drums are supported so aspiring drummers may be interested, but there is no game here.

Shooting Models A Silver Dollar Game.... do I need to say more? You are a photographer working for a gossip mag taking shots of "models". This entails watching a short FMV clip, pressing "A" when you have a decent shot 10 times, then it ranks each photo( to some unknown criteria). Be careful if you get the trial though, after a few different models the "A" button becomes the buy game button. Woeful(although the first girl is kinda cute)

A Madmans Guide to Happiness A splash screen of red text accompanied by "scary" sound effects(which loop very badly) inform you are an officer arriving at the scene of a suicide, you check the computer in the room filled with rantings & encrypted files which promise happiness if you can gain access.... The game seems to boil down to simple puzzles which once solved trigger some woeful text about an imprisoned princess & some odd images (a doll with bleeding eyes etc) very odd, but not particularly interesting(or at least the portion of the game available in the trial wasn't)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Cerebral Assassin said:
Shooting Models A Silver Dollar Game.... do I need to say more? You are a photographer working for a gossip mag taking shots of "models". This entails watching a short FMV clip, pressing "A" when you have a decent shot 10 times, then it ranks each photo( to some unknown criteria). Be careful if you get the trial though, after a few different models the "A" button becomes the buy game button. Woeful(although the first girl is kinda cute)
Is that even allowed?

Even if it is, it kind of stings that this passed peer review but we still have to wait for ZP2KX.

Top Bottom