• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox live Arcade Q&A

thorns

Banned
Xbox Live Arcade Q&A with Greg Canessa, Group Manager Xbox Casual Games at IGN.. sounds good!

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/525/525062p1.html

Greg: Xbox Live Arcade will offer games from a number of different casual genres, including retro arcade, card & board, puzzle & trivia, action arcade, and social sports. Examples include:

* Retro Arcade: Classic arcade titles like Dig Dug, Pole Position, Galaxian, Joust, Defender, Robotron, Gauntlet, and many more from publishing partners include Namco, Atari and Midway.

* Card & Board: Poker is a huge one. Titles include classics like Hearts, Spades, Backgammon, and Chess, as well as branded board games like Monopoly and Scrabble.

* Puzzle & Trivia: Bejeweled, Zuma, Hexic, Fuzzee Fever and Mah Jong Tiles.

* Action Arcade: This category includes new takes on classic action games, as well as side-scrolling shoot-em-ups and old-school 2D platformers. Titles include Alien Sky, Hamsterball, Feeding Frenzy and Marble Blast.

* Social Sports: These are the types of games that you would play with a group of friends on a Friday night while hanging out. Titles like Bowling and Pool are going to be big here.

Well, if EA puts up Road Rash I & II, General Chaos, and Mutant League Football with online play, I'm all over this... Oh and there needs to be some Chu-Chu Rocket in there, as well.

BojTrek

Banned
I cannot wait to play a good game of Robotron... hope it is not crappy looking like the Midway compilation release... pure crap...

gunstarhero

will_ferrell_zoolander_003.jpg

Texas Hold em would be a smart move. That game is so hot right now. Texas Hold em.

Jesiatha

BojTrek said:
I cannot wait to play a good game of Robotron... hope it is not crappy looking like the Midway compilation release... pure crap...

Unfortunately, it would likely be the same game (unless Midway is going to pay to port it again).

I think this is a really cool idea but I have a few concerns... will you be able to play the games you purchased even without XBox Live? Can you transfer games you purchased to a new Xbox? Will the service keep track of which games you have purchased in case your HD crashes or something so you can recover your purchases?

Hopefully the lower cost of distribution will bring some more niche games to the market.

Birbo

Think Sega should release some of the great Dreamcast online games for this including Alien Front Online, Ooga Booga, Chu Chu Rocket, etc. That would rule.

Mameox. Virgin pixels. All you need.

It's something you certainly won't get from any of these official releases, I guarantee it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
im so buying zuma and hamsterball...

maybe monopoly

and scrabble

and bowling... and pool
and ummm

argh

Jesiatha

Mr. Lemming said:
I think this is a really cool idea but I have a few concerns... will you be able to play the games you purchased even without XBox Live? Can you transfer games you purchased to a new Xbox? Will the service keep track of which games you have purchased in case your HD crashes or something so you can recover your purchases?

Hopefully the lower cost of distribution will bring some more niche games to the market.

All games should be playable offline, and any "online only" games would be called out.

Purchases are the same as any premium content - if your machine dies and you get it repaired via 1-800-4MY-XBOX, your content will be able to be downloaded again for free. Games will not be able to be transferred to a new Xbox. I'm not a big fan of that rule (I had a bad experience with Xbox repairs, and would probably rather re-purchase content than deal with them again), but that is the rule that applies to all premium content.

of the announced games, only one i can say for sure i'll get is monopoly..

however, xenon 2, if that rumor is correct, will have a USB port for using various memory devices that could then be easily trasnferred to PC... ie: saving your premium content? hopefully

shpankey

not an idiot
Actually, I have been thinking about this. Here's some cool old games I came up with that would be awesome if they added...

Rock-N-Roll Racing - Blizzard (SNES) 4 player on XBL
Ikari Warriors (Arcade) 2 player co-op on XBL
Gunsmoke - CAPCOM (Arcade) 2 player co-op on XBL
Twisted: The Game Show (3DO) 4 player on XBL
Super Sprint - Atari (Arcade) 8 player on XBL
COMMANDO - CAPCOM (Arcade) 2 player co-op on XBL
Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road (Arcade) 8 player on XBL
NBA Jam (SNES) 4 player on XBL
Mortal Kombat II (SNES) 2 player VS. on XBL
Contra - Konami 2 player co-op on XBL
Techmo Super Bowl - Techmo - ::dies from the happiness of even thinking it::
Dune - 4 player on XBL
Karate Champ - 2 player VS. on XBL (think, you would use the two analog stick just like the arcade!)
Top Gear II - 4 player on XBL

SINGLE PLAYER
Rastan - (Taito) just a great classic
The Horde (3DO) insanely addicting
Shadow Gate
The Immortal

Pitch (card game sorta like Spades but way better)
Wizards (greatest card game ever created)

3DO version of Road Rash - 4 player on XBL
Moto Racer 1 - 8 player on XBL
Diablo 1 - 4 players on XBL

DrLazy

I think this is an awesome idea by Microsoft as it stands.

But imagine the possibilities if they partnered with Nintendo (old and bad rumor, I know). Yet another way to take advantage or milking old games for retro gamers like me. It'd be like an itunes service for videogames, $.99 for an old Nintendo game that can be played on your X-cube or uploaded into the newest gameboy model. Works for me.

IgeL

I'm gonna love this. This is also pretty cool for quality shareware PC games - a new distribution method and lots of revenue potential. Nice, nice, nice. Even if next-gen is gonna cost a lot more development-wise, things like XLA will make smaller developing feasible for years to come.

Agent X

Gold Member
What an idea! Pay an outrageous fee for games that you can already play for free (and often at higher resolutions, and with mouse/keyboard) on your PC! Where, oh where does one sign up?

Funny how so many people despised this concept when it was called the Phantom.

Oh, and for those of you who want to play classic arcade games on your X-Box:

223568.jpg
237202.jpg

You're welcome!

Agent X

Gold Member
Some articles have already hinted that the cost will be around $10 a game.

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/xbox-live-vol-4/513054p1.html

http://news.com.com/Electronic+Arts+embraces+Xbox+Live/2100-1043_3-5209830.html?part=business2-cnet

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4947076/

Whatever the case is, the fact is that many of these games are already free to play on various sites such as Yahoo! Games, Shockwave.com, and even Microsoft's own Zone.com. With that in mind, any fee could be considered "outrageous."

The important thing here is downloadable games. A distribution model that doesn't involve physical duplication, distribution, and inventory. Finally a console delivers on the promise of the internet...

...and EB is medium-term toast.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
shpankey said:
Mortal Kombat II (SNES) 2 player VS. on XBL

This would be all I need to keep me busy on Xbox arcade. I played this on ZSNES against others online via Zbattle and it rocked...HARD! There was NO LAG...NONE! Only the occasional hiccup and studder. So can you imagine how it would be on xbl? I think mkII for snes plays better and faster than its arcade counterpart. Dont you agree shpanky?

aaaaa0

It's obvious that at least some of the games on XBL Arcade will be free, since it would be stupid to charge for something you can get at the zone.com on any PC.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
aaaaa0 said:
It's obvious that at least some of the games on XBL Arcade will be free, since it would be stupid to charge for something you can get at the zone.com on any PC.

ever hear of the deluxe versions? :p

The fact that piracy exists does not somehow disqualify the actual copyright holders from trying to make money off of their work.

I will buy classic arcade games like Ninja Gaiden. I'm pretty sold on that.

aaaaa0

DopeyFish said:
ever hear of the deluxe versions? :p

Of course.

Like I said above, anything that's free on zone.com, should be free on xbl arcade.

To be precise: If something costs money on zone.com (like the deluxe versions you mention) or isn't available at all on zone.com (like classic arcade games), then it's ok to charge for it on xbl arcade. But if it's free on zone.com it should also be free on xbl arcade.

thorns

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
The fact that piracy exists does not somehow disqualify the actual copyright holders from trying to make money off of their work.

I will buy classic arcade games like Ninja Gaiden. I'm pretty sold on that.

yeah it's like saying why you should pay for any game you normally buy in the store, the prices are outrageous because you can download any game for free.

Not all the game will be old arcade games, it seems there will be plenty of shareware/new games that are in old school spirit.. Those longing for 2d games, here's your chance to prove it.

shpankey

not an idiot
isamu said:
This would be all I need to keep me busy on Xbox arcade. I played this on ZSNES against others online via Zbattle and it rocked...HARD! There was NO LAG...NONE! Only the occasional hiccup and studder. So can you imagine how it would be on xbl? I think mkII for snes plays better and faster than its arcade counterpart. Dont you agree shpanky?

I agree it would rock very hard! I never played it at the arcades though. I played it on the SNES exclusively. I remember the wait for it was almost unbareable... it was all the rage (think GTA: VC or Halo 2) and the buildup to it's release was monumental! Such a fantastic game too... we used to have neighborhood tourneys where like 20 people would show up lol.

Top Bottom