• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is locking out Gamepass games from competitor's subscription services

By the way, all the Xbox friends are absent from this thread right now. The conversation is very unbalanced right now.

1qk9am.jpg
I'm starting to see some of them creeping out of the woodwork now...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Receipts of what? That Xbox does some of the same shitty things to sony that we already knew sony does to Xbox. Many of your compadres strongly defended this so I can't imagine why you would be upset. Personally I still think it's a shitty practice regardless of who does it.
We are slowly coming to terms.

It's beautiful to witness. Thank you, FTC.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I believe vkbest meant Atlus will make you pay full price again if you now want the PS5 versions with 4k

It's why I haven't purchased these on PlayStation, yet. If they release native apps, their track record shows there will not be an upgrade path.

yurinka

Yes, we knew that. Sony also does the same -for a limited period of time- with games that signed some kind of exclusivity with them, even marketing deals.

It was leaked in the Resident Evil Village marketing deal, and also known being the case for Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo or Call of Duty.

So they pay for exclusive subscription rights like every piece of media ever put on a subscription service.
This is the case when the platform holder pays them to get that subscription exclusive rights (sometimes as part of a bigger deal, like timed console exclusivity for a game or a marketing deal).

Some content included in multiple subscriptions with no problem, because no platform paid for exclusive rights.

Last edited:

Lasha

It's only a "gotcha" if the behavior is unusual. Other companies sign deals to prevent games from coming to Xbox and/or game pass. Microsoft has been vocal about this point the entire time.

The Alien

Banned
So literally the same thing Sony does when they buying 3rd party exclusivity?

They buy tye exclusive rights then ensure no XBox or GamePass.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I believe every subscription service on earth might do this.

But for some wild reason some didn't think MS did this with Game Pass.

MS doing this with GamePass games was never in question, of course MS does it with GamePass games. People were just surprised Sony did it with multi platform games they only had marketing deals with.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean… there’s literally a linked 25 page thread you warriors are gushing over that you can go read whenever you want 😆 Wouldn’t be surprised if you’re the one constantly referencing it.

Holy shit you guys have been adorable this week with the warring.
You're very bit the warrior trying to apologetically move the goalposts in MSs favor and still paint Sony as the worse one.

ProTip: they both do this. Even with marketing deals. But clown on, ya gooftroop.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
You're very bit the warrior trying to apologetically move the goalposts in MSs favor and still paint Sony as the worse one.

ProTip: they both do this. Even with marketing deals. But clown on, ya gooftroop.

I’ve already said in this thread MS could also have the same stipulation for marketing deals, and it’s just as shitty if they do it 👍

Doesn’t change the fact that the situations are different. One is inherently more scummy than the other 😁 And I’m getting some kind of stupid warning, so this will be my last post in the thread, y’all have fun.

Three

I’ve already said in this thread MS could also have the same stipulation for marketing deals, and it’s just as shitty if they do it 👍

Doesn’t change the fact that the situations are different. One is inherently more scummy than the other 😁 And I’m getting some kind of stupid warning, so this will be my last post in the thread, y’all have fun.
Can you explain how one is more scummy than the other and let me guess it's the one that prevents gamepass that's more 'scummy'?

R3EUIL

Neo Member
Well no shit, if a game comes out on Game Pass they don't want PS+ to launch with it either and vice versa. The difference is paying games to not appear on a service whatsoever. (Resident Evil)
And what is the difference in practice if in the case of RE8 Sony would have the advantage of having the game first on its service? it just didn't happen because Capcom didn't want to put the game on any service

Mr.ODST

Not sure why this is a shock, any company would do this for a service etc if it was after the gamepass time was up id understand

ZehDon

I don't know, but the bolded was incredibly hilarious to me. From now, that's my collective name for a group of console warriors: a gooftroop. Thanks for the laugh :)

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And what is the difference in practice if in the case of RE8 Sony would have the advantage of having the game first on its service? it just didn't happen because Capcom didn't want to put the game on any service

Many xbox fans (warriors) were expecting RE8 on Gamepass and that Sony was actively holding it back. It was always a tiresome fake narrative from many people. CAPCOM NEVER planned to put RE8 on GP, even WITHOUT a marketing deal with Sony.

Boss Mog

It's kinda sad that the curtain is being lifted on how these companies operate and to see that their behavior is no better than bickering school-children.

cireza

yep

well you certainly thought this sorta thing to be newsworthy in the past
Yes, and what are you proving here ? That I stated in the past that it was exactly the same with Sony ? Well no shit, it was. And it wasn't surprising either. It wasn't newsworthy, we all knew it already.

So you went through my previous posts to basically show that my point of view is consistent. Are you trying to impersonate the FTC lawyer ?

The final quote, by the way, is me demonstrating an evident case of lying by omission from Sony.

There are a few of you who seem to be taking things personally here, and this personal "hunt" has become ridiculous and should really be stopped. You guys need to calm down. Not speaking for myself (I couldn't care less) but for others it has been quite distasteful.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
the point here is, Microsoft kept telling people they are the good guys but they are doing the same thing as their competitor.

This will be the argument for all of time after this.

"But Microsoft told me they were the good guys, how dare they do anything similar to any other manufacturer."

We know Sony does it, we know MS does it and we know epic and Nintendo do it.

It's exactly the point MS lawyers were trying to make in court vs the ftc to be honest. Does exclusive content make a platform desirable? and what is considered a counter to that.

Last edited:
This whole saga is the gift that keeps on giving. I personally find it alarming that MS rich history of buying their way to monopoly by dumping mountains of cash is a mere detail, if even that, in the evaluation of their acquisitions. Boggles the mind, really...

Last edited:
This will be the argument for all of time after this.

"But Microsoft told me they were the good guys, how dare they do anything similar to any other manufacturer."

We know Sony does it, we know MS does it and we know epic and Nintendo do it.

It's exactly the point MS lawyers were trying to make in court vs the ftc to be honest. Does exclusive content make a platform desirable? and what is considered a counter to that.

You are obfuscating the real debate, which has absolutely nothing to do with offering exclusive content. The question is whether a company that has access to colossal financial resources amassed through endeavours that do not pertain to videogames, can, unchecked, buy out said content, instead of creating new one.

Fabieter

This whole saga is the gift that keeps giving. I personally find it alarming that MS rich history of buying their way to monopoly by dumping mountains of cash is a mere detail, if even that, in the evaluation of their acquisitions. Boggles the mind, really...

Yea in fact platformholder should be enforced to never buy a 3p publisher like ever. Any sane person would push against this mess.

Top Bottom