• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Insiders on Windows PC can preview Quake 4

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Xbox Insiders on Windows PC are invited to preview Quake 4. Originally released in 2005, players lead the invasion of an alien planet in this epic, narrative-driven and action-packed FPS from the award-winning id Software and Raven Software.

Check out the Xbox Insider Hub on Windows PC to join the preview today! This preview is an integral part of bringing the game to Windows PC, and we are delighted that you’ll be a part of it!

Guilty_AI

BTTF5.jpg

Cryio

Quake 4 is a solid 7.5 game. Great visuals for it's time, though less impressive than Doom 3 and clearly the engine is misused, due to almost no light / shadow dynamics.

Game starts slow and gets faster only later. There's no sprint. Combat and enemies are both perfunctory. Story is barely there.

But it's a solid 4-6 hour romp of linear campaign and set pieces. I had fun. Played it for the first time in 2021.

Three

"This preview is an integral part of bringing the game to Windows PC"

What? Wouldn't a game that came out in 2005 with a rerelease in 2012 be a re-rerelease. I guess they are doing something new with it? Mtxs, xcloud or remake?

I think this is just prepping for it to release on the Windows Store for the first time ever.
Why would that need a game specific UAT? It may be backend changes like crossplay and the game is coming to console.

Last edited:
Why has this not been added to backwards compatibility?
Microsoft owns id software.
Microsoft owns Bethesda.
Microsoft owns Activision.

Is there some external licensed music in the game?
Well they did announce they stopped the BC program and won't be adding anymore games.

intbal

Well they did announce they stopped the BC program and won't be adding anymore games.
That was before their purchase of Activision-Blizzard.
But, as reksveks pointed out, that deal isn't final yet.

There were two releases of Quake 4 on Xbox 360. The first was by id software themselves, when they were still independent. The second release was by Bethesda, who purchased id software shortly after the first release of the game. Quake 4 was primarily developed by Raven software, in conjuncton with id. Raven later became part of Activision. Microsoft now owns every company involved with this game.

If IP rights were the reason it previously wasn't added to the BC program, then that problem will be removed once the purchase of Activision is finalized. If there is licensed music in the game, then it will probably never hit BC.
To be honest, I don't really care about Quake 4. I just want the special 360 version of Quake 2 that was included as a bonus disc with the game to be added to backwards compatibility. I suspect that's even less likely. So I'll have to hold on to my copy and my 360 indefinitely. Not that it's fantastic. It runs great, but the controls are very poorly adapted.

Apocryphon

Confused or concerned?
If they want to re-release the weakest game in the series then whatever, but I think we would all have preferred a Quake 2 remaster like Quake got last year. Q2 + the DLC + some.of thr most notable mods would be incredible..

I'd have liked Q2 and Q3 to get the Q1 treatment before doing anything with this game. But maybe it's just because of Xbox BC. I'm sure some people will be happy about it, but if it signaled the direction they're taking the next Quake game in that would be concerning to me.

If it's Xbox BC though, will the Windows store version be a port of the 360 game? That would suck given that the regular PC release, while messy and somewhat broken on Linux, has mods available for it that make the experience much better than the vanilla game.

I think I'm just confused.

Catphish

If they want to re-release the weakest game in the series then whatever, but I think we would all have preferred a Quake 2 remaster like Quake got last year. Q2 + the DLC + some.of thr most notable mods would be incredible..

I'd have liked Q2 and Q3 to get the Q1 treatment before doing anything with this game. But maybe it's just because of Xbox BC. I'm sure some people will be happy about it, but if it signaled the direction they're taking the next Quake game in that would be concerning to me.

If it's Xbox BC though, will the Windows store version be a port of the 360 game? That would suck given that the regular PC release, while messy and somewhat broken on Linux, has mods available for it that make the experience much better than the vanilla game.

I think I'm just confused.
Agreed. Q2 is the single-player Quake that deserves the love. If ever there was a game worthy of a remaster, it's that one.

And feel free to polish and revisit the multiplayer while you're at it. That shit was legendary.

Last edited:

2 and 4 relaunch for QuakeCon?

I always imagined Quake V returning to that sci-fi and fantasy mix of the original. However, with Doom Eternal going full retard in that same direction and with nostalgia for mid-2000s starting to replace boomer shooters, a Strogg sequel seems just as likely now.

SZips

If this Quake 4 and possible Quake 2 thing is being done to build up hype for an all-new Quake game, I am so on board with this.

I enjoyed Quake 4 back in the day. A new game would be awesome, especially if it gets the Doom (2016) treatment.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
"You will soon be able to play on windows a game that has been available to play on PC for 15 years already, please be excited."

Uhm, OK, sure.

Top Bottom