• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox head Phil Spencer prefers higher frame rates than resolution.

P07uIDA.jpg

Gargus

Banned
The human eye can from a physiological standpoint see up to 1000 fps, in the actual real world we visualize at peak a human eye can only "detect" up to 150fps but in general we actually "see" in 24-35 fps. That's why movies and tv almost always are in 24fps because that all we need to perceive optimal smoothness with optimal eye tracking.

So I want the best resolution that can be attained at 30fps since that is optimal speed for sight, perception and eye tracking. Anything else is just a waste to me. So I dont give a shit about 60fps or whatever I see people knee jerkingly repeat constantly. I've seen it and I dont like it because I find it distracting and gives me a slight motion sickness in my head because it isnt natural. Especially since you're fixing your eyes on something that is faster in fps as what's outside of the screen you're visualizing at a much lower fps.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The human eye can from a physiological standpoint see up to 1000 fps, in the actual real world we visualize at peak a human eye can only "detect" up to 150fps but in general we actually "see" in 24-35 fps. That's why movies and tv almost always are in 24fps because that all we need to perceive optimal smoothness with optimal eye tracking.

So I want the best resolution that can be attained at 30fps since that is optimal speed for sight, perception and eye tracking. Anything else is just a waste to me. So I dont give a shit about 60fps or whatever I see people knee jerkingly repeat constantly. I've seen it and I dont like it because I find it distracting and gives me a slight motion sickness in my head because it isnt natural. Especially since you're fixing your eyes on something that is faster in fps as what's outside of the screen you're visualizing at a much lower fps.

Big difference between video captured at 24fps and video games, one has natural motion blur (similar to what your eyes see) the other doesn't. Some games are starting to use 24fps for cut scenes and then mimicking motion blur for a more cinematic feel, but that is harder to do during gameplay on anything with any speed to it.

Top Bottom