• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox head Phil Spencer prefers higher frame rates than resolution.

Texas Pride

Banned
He seems to prefer hardware over games too. Someone should tell him the games sell the hardware not the other way around. If gamespass wasn't still a buck I'd have cancelled it by now.

Three

Og xbox came before ps2 hdd stand.

Microsoft were forward thinking here.

No idea what you're trying toto prove or argue against.

Now try and explain mandatory online, party chat etc?
The PS2 HDD was not a stand. It was a HDD bay built into the console at PS2 launch with the idea that an optional HDD will go there.

I'm not trying to prove anything just saying how it was. It kind of bugs me how people suggest MS invented or pioneered things they haven't like BC or HDDs in consoles.

Last edited:
“As we were looking at the future, the feel of the games was definitely something that we wanted to have more focus on, not just throwing more pixels up on the screen.”

scarlett_soc.jpg
Means you will get both

Niked

Both on pc and PS4pro I go for visual before fps. I played Crysis with 10-20fps just to max that shit out.

I dare to confess I got a little bit turned on when I got 20fps when played KILLZONE 2 on PS3. I felt.. My god, this maxing the shit out of the system ♥️

Last edited:
I don't have a 4K TV yet (let alone thinking about 8K!) so I am hoping that these new consoles offer me an option to run at 1080p but higher framerate across the board. I know 4K is pretty widespread now but there have got to be a lot of people in the same boat as I am, my 1080p TV is still perfectly fine and there still isn't enough TV content in 4K to make it an essential upgrade. I don't really feel the need for 4K yet and will probably just upgrade when my current TV fails, I want the next gen consoles consider the huge amount of people who are still happy on 1080p as well as those with more pixels.
1080p - 120FPS
1440p (CB to 4K) - 60FPS (locked)
Native 4K - 30FPS (locked)

Give me these 3 above options as standard on all next gen games and I'll be a fucking happy camper.

SleepDoctor

Banned
1080p - 120FPS

Give me these 3 above options as standard on all next gen games and I'll be a fucking happy camper.

Fuck that. 4k/60fps or 8k/30fps (doubt the latter).

We rarely got 1080p/60 done flawlessly but they wanna jump resolution already. I don't want it half assed .

8k is pointless anyway since its not going to be affordable to the masses for awhile, probably till at least mid gen.

CeeJay

1080p - 120FPS

I agree 100%

I hope that MS lead the way with their own studios but unfortunately I don't think they would impose such draconian rules on third parties. I fear it's going to be a bit of a lottery across the board but we can hope and vocalise our opinions to try and get them all to do this. Somehow though I don't see there been the same appetite across the userbase to call for this as standard like we all managed to do with rejecting lootboxes.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I dare to confess I got a little bit turned on when I got 20fps when played KILLZONE 2 on PS3. I felt.. My god, this maxing the shit out of the system ♥
What the fuck? Luckily Killzone 3 runs normally.

boneso

I have been saying this for years now. I would much rather a lower resolution and a higher frame-rate with improved graphics from next gen. I wanted all games on ps4 to be 1080p60 at a minimum and completely ignore 4k (even though I do have a 4k tv).

I would be much happier if PS5 games launched at 1080p60 with incredible graphics upgrades instead of the same graphics we have now just at higher resolution and probably 30(ish)fps.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Phil forgets that the internet remembers...

I'm confused about why you posted that considering this is a completely different argument. I guess times are changing and consumers appears to now be more skewed towards being more technically aware. But did you really want to dispute the notion that average Joe historically and typically hasn't shown much concern about framerates compared to advanced consumers posting on gaming forums?

Armorian

Banned
Fuck that. 4k/60fps or 8k/30fps (doubt the latter).

We rarely got 1080p/60 done flawlessly but they wanna jump resolution already. I don't want it half assed .

8k is pointless anyway since its not going to be affordable to the masses for awhile, probably till at least mid gen.

Perfectly locked 60 fps on consoles is rarity, but with VRR support in HDMI 2.1 even 40fps+ games will look good (on tv that supports that). I think many games will just have "framerate unlock" option in 1080p mode.

sdrawkcab

Banned
Seriously, you people thinking that anything he says is from the bottom of his heart is the biggest con since Don Mattrick attempted to convince us that the deadly combination of always on DRM and Kinect was somehow going to be good for us.

Everything this man says is PR/Marketing. Its literally his job and you're a fool to believe otherwise.

The only thing comedic is the cringe worthy hero worshipping of these well paid gaming executives.
Point me to the so-called hero-worshipping, on my path! Please do! All I said was, this narrative isn't new from Phil; he's said this many times before, even before the Xbox X was revealed.

However, Xbox and Sony are not going to use high frame rates as the core of their advertising, and it is obvious why. Fidelity and graphics are easier to sell, easier to communicate and translate easier to the screen. Also, fidelity and graphics are easier understood and absorbed by the mass market and casual market; ergo, that is why it would be more of a focus in marketing. Where is the hero worship in that statement, on my path? So facts are automatically labelled "hero-worship" because you're a cynic? Do you practice that same level of cynicism and distrust for all department heads and CEOs of other companies, or is it just with Xbox? Do you feel the same way about Sony?

Please, tell me; do you think Phil has zero personality, and not an honest bone in his body? And if the answer is yes, do you believe any CEOs/leaders of any business or business department has moments of honesty or sincerity?

Do you believe all people in powerful positions, with something to sell, are always selling that thing every time they speak, and lack sincerity 100% of the time?

If you were a CEO, would everything you say be a lie to push your product or service? If so, why would you be that way?

However, if the answer to my very first question is no; that you think there are moments when Phil may be being sincere, how do you know when those moments are? Can you tell the difference between when he's trying to manipulate you and when he's being sincere?

You see where I'm going with this?

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Perfectly locked 60 fps on consoles is rarity, but with VRR support in HDMI 2.1 even 40fps+ games will look good (on tv that supports that). I think many games will just have "framerate unlock" option in 1080p mode.

If we're "upgrading". I want "upgraded performance and visuals. People wanna cut Sony and ms slack when they couldn't care less about us. They half ass performance on these supposed "8k" capable consoles... and surprise surprise, we get mid gen refreshes with "native" or "true" 8k gaming.

Armorian

Banned
If we're "upgrading". I want "upgraded performance and visuals. People wanna cut Sony and ms slack when they couldn't care less about us. They half ass performance on these supposed "8k" capable consoles... and surprise surprise, we get mid gen refreshes with "native" or "true" 8k gaming.

People should always lower they expectation when it comes to consoles and resolution/performance targets. I think we will realisticaly get:

- couple of basic looking native 8k games, and more in resolutions between 4 and 8K
- native 4k 30fps games (I think percentage of them will not be that small)
- CBR/DLSS "4K" 30/60 fps games (majority)
- 1080p/1440p high framerate modes for games in above sections (with 60 as a target but variable, maybe 120fps in some titles) and of course that will the main mode for XSS if that's a thing (but with 30fps target).

CyberPanda

Banned
Xbox Series X will make games FEEL amazing, says Xbox boss Phil Spencer

Beating the PS5 is not just about "throwing more pixels up on the screen"

SHABANA ARIF 8 HOURS AGO

The upcoming Xbox Series X promises to be a beast of a console, delivering sizzling resolutions of 8K and up to 60 fps, putting it on par with Sony's upcoming PS5 but for head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, developers should focus less on the amount of pixels and more on the FEEL of their games if they want to make the most of all that power.

Spencer has previously said that Microsoft's console will "set the benchmark" for console gaming with more processing performance and graphics power than ever before - a whopping four times as much as the Xbox One X, the most powerful console of this generation. It's even been rumoured that the new Xbox will be more powerful than the PS5.

Both the PS5 and Xbox Series X are reported to feature a separate graphics chip, rather than a combined GPU and CPU, which is what will allow for faster frame rates at a higher resolution, and a consistently smoother experience. The Xbox Series X houses a custom-designed AMD processor, high bandwidth GDDR6 memory and a next generation solid state drive (SSD) so there's a lot to look forward to there, but for Spencer, the key to making the most of the console is nailing the feel of a game.

In a recent interview, Spencer explained that Microsoft gives developers the tools and freedom to create whatever they like on its platforms, and doesn't try to impose limits – whether that's 60 fps on the Xbox 360, or 4K 60 fps on the Xbox One X. The key factor is that they can push the limits of the what the console has to offer.

"I think we’ve reached a point with Xbox One X in the generation where games look amazing, and there’s always work we can do to look more amazing. But I want games to feel as amazing as they look," he said.

"We don’t have that in today’s generation, mainly because the CPU is under-powered relative to the GPU that’s in the box in order to reach a feel and frame rate and kind of consistency or variable refresh rate and other things that we want.

“As we were looking at the future, the feel of the games was definitely something that we wanted to have more focus on, not just throwing more pixels up on the screen.”

Spencer has been consistent in this line of thinking from as far back as 2014, when he said, "frame rate to me is significantly more important to gameplay than resolution and the mix of those two which brings the right art style and freedom, whether it's on PlayStation or our platform."

It seems that the new Xbox console will be powerful enough to hit that sweet spot; let's just hope that we see developers take advantage of it, rather than getting bogged down by numbers.

The Xbox Series X is due to launch in the holiday 2020 window, and you can keep up with all of the news and rumours right here on T3.

Celcius

°Temp. member
"Both the PS5 and Xbox Series X are reported to feature a separate graphics chip, rather than a combined GPU and CPU" ????? Say what?

I haven't heard that theory from anywhere, I'm still expecting an APU.
Same, I paused for a second like “wait... what?”
I hope it’s true though

Vawn

Banned
He seriously spends all his time doing interviews.

That would be fine if he was strictly a PR spokesman, but isn't he supposed to be leading Xbox? Get back to your actual job Phil. You've been leading Xbox for years now and the exclusive game problem has only gotten worse.

CJY

Banned
If the GPU is discrete, we're no longer getting an APU. It's a discrete CPU as well. If that really is the case, I really hope Sony drops a bomb in putting an extra CCX into their CPU and go with a 16-core/32-thread CPU.

DanielsM

Banned
He seriously spends all his time doing interviews.

That would be fine if he was strictly a PR spokesman, but isn't he supposed to be leading Xbox? Get back to your actual job Phil. You've been leading Xbox for years now and the exclusive game problem has only gotten worse.

We're one step away from

"Phil, boxers or briefs when you game on the couch?"

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

(btw, everytime there is a Phil Says - I lower my Xbone sales by 10k)

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You can have all of the tech and still come up short in game design

It's more about what the studios can do with the hardware and this is where Sony shines

Vawn

Banned
I love how Spencer is able to rally the valiant defenders of Sony.

I love how you assume people upset with how Xbox is being ran are just die-hard Sony fans.

There were twice as many Xbox 360 players. Some of us are actually pissed how far the brand has fallen as we we're big Xbox 360 gamers who feel abandoned.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Same, I paused for a second like “wait... what?”
I hope it’s true though

I will say that both the design of the PS5 dev kit and the XSX appear to support the possibility of taking heat off of both sides of the MB, not that that necessarily leads to multiple chips. Just for cost reasons I can't see them leaving the APU approach.

Aidah

I very much doubt it's not an APU, nor do I think it's better overall if it wasn't.

Anyway, yeah sure, it's great he's putting an emphasis on that important aspect. Although personally I'm not going to be playing anything on an Xbox console.

ANIMAL1975

"Both the PS5 and Xbox Series X are reported to feature a separate graphics chip, rather than a combined GPU and CPU" ????? Say what?

I think she doesn't know what she's talking about, she even states '8k resolution and up to 60 framerate' like... 8k will be the norm 😂

Journey

Banned

Whaaaat!?

Can we expect upgradable consoles in the future of XSX and PS5?

Top Bottom