• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

MikeM

So, I played a few GP games over the last few weeks.

Chinatown Detective Agency - Obvious influence is "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?" Probably the notable thing is that the game demands that you either have an encyclopaedic knowledge of everything or you have to search for stuff (The longest river in Asia, for example) on internet, because you won't find the clues in the game itself. And that is kind of a fun touch. I have only done a few cases and the game is kind of fun, but it is not like I'm rushing to get back to it.

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion - It is a silly weirdo stoner game that looks like a game for kids, but really isn't (Liz!). Basically a very short and easy action RPG-light with quests, puzzles, bosses and so on. Enjoyed it.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - This one has so many things that annoy me, like never-ending supply of fetch quests and backtracking/grinding, but I couldn't put it down. Really polished controls and just works.

Chorus - Didn't expect it to be this good. Really well-made space shooter/sim that I like considerably more than Star Wars Squadron.
Can vouch for chorus. Really enjoying this modern star fox game.

Pantz

Floppy Knights has really good grid-based card/strategy gameplay. Just go ahead and skip the story, and thankfully you can hold (A), to skip the story.
Beat the main path just a bit ago. Just the right amount of challenge for me with no grinding required.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Xbox Game Pass's library grows every month with great games new and old. In this video, we take a look at some of the gems to make it to the subscription service like Teenage Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge, Naraka: Bladepoint, and more.

The Game Pass catalog continues to grow with new games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge, or Naraka: Bladepoint. There's a lot of games to play on Xbox Game Pass, and with its catalog ever-growing, it can be a lot to keep track of. In this video, we go over some of the recent games to make their way to the service, like Assassin's Creed Origins, or Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection, as well as some hidden gems like Omori. Some PC classics have finally found their way to consoles including the cult-classic Shadowrun trilogy, and Crusader King III, both of which have had complete UI overhauls in order to intuitively work on console.

00:00 - Intro
00:15 - Shadowrun
01:12 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
02:14 - Naraka: Bladepoint
03:04 - Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection
03:55 - Omori
04:46 - Crusader Kings III
05:45 - Chorus
06:27 - Assassin's Creed Origins
07:08 - Outro

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Was looking forward to FC5 but I’ve just gone through my boxed game collection and realise I’ve got it and played it. What a fool.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Chinatown Detective Agency is fucking awesome by the way. I had the day off and just wanted to chill. Youre just reading, searching for clues and you have to search on your own on Google outside of the game sometimes. Then book flights and travel to do more investigating. Having a blast so far. Couple hours in.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is likely old news to many. But just tried out World War Z. So this is awesome too lol? Way better than I expected. Played through level 1 and it was honestly great for a coop horde shooter. Fun ragdoll effects on enemies and tons of enemies on screen at once.

You can play offline with 3 bots and they actually do extremely well so far. Just take the time to heal them at supply points and you're golden. I recommend trying it on cloud. You'll likely download it.

Kagey K

Banned

Another five games are set to leave Xbox Game Pass in mid-July, with Carrion, Children of Morta, Cris Tales, Atomicrops, and Lethal League Blaze the latest five titles to bow out of the service.​

Children of Morta will be the only one I miss, but all of these seem like easy gamerscore if you want to cross then off.

Are you amused Captain Toad Captain Toad

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Another five games are set to leave Xbox Game Pass in mid-July, with Carrion, Children of Morta, Cris Tales, Atomicrops, and Lethal League Blaze the latest five titles to bow out of the service.​

Children of Morta will be the only one I miss, but all of these seem like easy gamerscore if you want to cross then off.

Are you amused Captain Toad Captain Toad
I bought Morta. Im like halfway through Carrion and not sure I need to play more. Was fun but needs a map. Cris Tales I was stuck on the first boss for some reason. Might try it one last time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Man, Game Pass has been a fantastic thing for Japanese game fans on Xbox. So many franchises introduced to the console eco system through the service.

Hell, the entire Yakuza franchise can be played via Game Pass.

Amazing.

Kagey K

Banned
Cannot wait for the power house of AAA magnificence that Power Wash Simulator is going to be when it drops tomorrow.
It's going be a fun time for when you want to just chill. if you've ever pressure washed a vehicle after going mud bogging, you understand how satisfying it can be.

Not everything has to be ADHD shooty shooty bang bang all the time.

FunkMiller

It's going be a fun time for when you want to just chill. if you've ever pressure washed a vehicle after going mud bogging, you understand how satisfying it can be.

Oh, don’t misunderstand me. I’m genuinely looking forward to playing it.

Roberts

Came back from vacation and started Road 96, so far it’s fucking great. The art style, the soundtrack and just the feel of the game - love it so far.
Yeah, one of my GP favourites this year. I'm on my 4th run (first three were successful) and each run brings something new to the table both from narrative and gameplay pov. Imagine what these guys could do with a decent budget.

Chukhopops

Yeah, one of my GP favourites this year. I'm on my 4th run (first three were successful) and each run brings something new to the table both from narrative and gameplay pov. Imagine what these guys could do with a decent budget.
The more I play it the more I love it, it’s at the same time simple and full of cool ideas. I’m almost at the Election Day (which I guess is the end of the game) and every run so far has felt different.

Would be my favorite indie of the year if it wasn’t for Tunic.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Beat the 3rd room in escape academy. I can only play 1 escape room a day. The timer stresses me out lol. At the end of each level I feel like a fucking genius though. The puzzles are honestly fantastic. I highly recommend the game. And if you truly get stuck, just hit the hint button. It's designed really well. I had to use one hint and it only covered the one step I was stuck on and didn't spoil the whole thing.

Roberts

Lately people have been complaining about a lack of good stuff coming out on GP so made a little experiment to see if the service is still useful for me, specifically. I wrote down GP games from last three months that I don't own, but have played or have interest in. Then I wrote down the price I would be willing to pay for them (not the original price but theoretical discount price).

May - 75 EUR
June - 90 EUR
July - 50 EUR

Yeah, Gamepass still kicks ass!

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Lately people have been complaining about a lack of good stuff coming out on GP [...]

The same people also complain about their constantly growing backlog... This is the thing tho, there might not be any good ganes this or that month, but there are still dozens of awesome games available that launched earlier. The past two months have been weak let's be honest, but this way I actually got to finish or just start those 20 games I previously installed and have been waiting since forever.

adamsapple

Lately people have been complaining about a lack of good stuff coming out on GP

If you're talking about people on this forum in the bi-weekly GP announcement threads, I wouldn't worry about them. They're just bad faith actors.

Anyway, Road 96 was a pleasant surprise. Managed to get 1000G in my first run through.

Highly recommended.

321sykyq.png

bender

What time is it?
Played the first two missions in PowerWash Simulator and while I can understand the Zen like appeal, it fails out of the gate of being a simulator as there are no fluid dynamics. If you were going to pressure wash something you'd start from the top and work your way down. You also wouldn't be able to power wash a ground surface and then wash something sitting on that surface. What is presented is little more than a resizable magic eraser. Or maybe the Simulator in this instance was supposed to be more akin to Goat Simulator. It's a little to tedious for me but I do think the concept has potential for a more ambition project with a bigger budget. Seems to be selling like gangbusters so there is hope.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Xbox Game Pass continues to grow each month, with new games like PowerWash Simulator and dramas such as As Dusk Falls. Here's a list of eight great games you can play on the service right now.

Xbox Game Pass, Microsoft's gaming subscription service, is often referred to as the best deal in gaming, and for good reason. Each month, multiple games are added to its rotating catalog of titles, a mix of first-party Xbox games, indies, and other huge games.

It can be a little overwhelming, but have no fear. In this video, we're going to tell you the best games to play on Xbox Game Pass. There's something for everyone, from simulators such as PowerWash Simulator and House Flipper, to dramatic adventures like more intense titles like As Dusk Falls and Road 96.

Timestamps:

00:00 - Intro
00:15 - PowerWash Simulator
01:04 - House Flipper
01:58 - Escape Room Academy
03:00 - As Dusk Falls
04:14 - Road 96
05:11 - Torment: Tides of Numenera
06:06 - MotoGP 22
06:48 - Yakuza series
07:41 - Outro

adamsapple

As Dusk Falls is a legitimate good game added to the service. Despite how divisive the art style may be for some folks.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Played the Citizen Sleeper update. Was actually a little disappointed with it.

Its short. Fine, its a small update. But the choices didn't seem very well laid out for me. Its all about a random large group of refugees that pop up on the Eye and these two complete strangers basically demand a ton of supplies from you with zero explanation.

I never forgot the sense of hopeless desperation you feel in this game as you slowly claw your way up from the gutter to self sufficiency. You need stabilizers, scrap, money and all kinds of shit just to barely live. Anyone that helps you gets a cut and has their own self interest involved. Thats how I role-playing this quest. I was open to helping as long as these strangers gave me some explanation and also promised something that benefits me. That was non negotiable.

So it seemed the quest line was more about just making you feel bad if you don't dump a ton of resources into this random quest for strangers with no explanation. Both the drives failed. But I did exactly what I thought was right. Then the quest ended. Wait until update 2 in October. A rare let down of a quest in a masterpiece of a game.

adamsapple

Are any of these September? All the ones I know with release dates are October.

I'm not sure of each ones date personally, sorry. But the expectation is that at the very least a Deathloop announcement (if not a release date) should be announced in September once the 1 year exclusivity period ends.

Jaybe

I'm not sure of each ones date personally, sorry. But the expectation is that at the very least a Deathloop announcement (if not a release date) should be announced in September once the 1 year exclusivity period ends.
Good point on death loop. I keep forgetting about it. I suspect Sony made the contract so it can’t be mentioned. Really hope it was only a one year timed exclusivity and there are no game pass subscription restrictions. Maybe this is why the September announcements seem light is because this is coming.

Jebron

Anyone else starting to get a little frustrated that the DLC for first party titles isn't on Game Pass? Two examples recently that had me frustrated is Prey: Mooncrash and the FH5 Hotwheels DLC. I understand DLC not being part of the agreement for second/third party titles, but it's really frustrating that I have to buy DLC for Game Pass games that I technically don't even own. So now I'm forced to wait for a sale, and usually the game+DLC (like the Forza Horizon 5 Premium Edition) makes more sense when the title is on sale, but then that defeats the entire purpose of subscribing to Game Pass.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Anyone else starting to get a little frustrated that the DLC for first party titles isn't on Game Pass? Two examples recently that had me frustrated is Prey: Mooncrash and the FH5 Hotwheels DLC. I understand DLC not being part of the agreement for second/third party titles, but it's really frustrating that I have to buy DLC for Game Pass games that I technically don't even own. So now I'm forced to wait for a sale, and usually the game+DLC (like the Forza Horizon 5 Premium Edition) makes more sense when the title is on sale, but then that defeats the entire purpose of subscribing to Game Pass.
I agree with you:
I completely believe it’s ludicrous that MS doesn’t include DLC for their catalog of first party games on Game Pass. Do they want to be the Netflix of gaming? Do they want player engagement and subscriptions? What logic tells them that it’s sensible to hive off DLC content for sale but its the core selling point of the platform is to release full first party games Day 1 on the service. At the end of the day, their first party content and should be on Game Pass in whatever form it is. It’s like Nextflix charging extra for the Black Mirror Christmas special (John Hamm is fantastic in it btw). It’s also inconsistent as Gears Hivebusters is in GPU. Then we have things like Fallout 4 Seasons Pass which cost more than the GOTY edition of the game when both are put on sale. Any way, then not including DLC is very disappointing as a subscriber and a missed opportunity to increase subs, engagement, and value for paying customer.

Cannot wait for the power house of AAA magnificence that Power Wash Simulator is going to be when it drops tomorrow.

72 hours I got out of it - loved it 😀

Iv5Y29F.jpg

adamsapple

Rumors about Ubi+ coming to consoles coming up again, from a twitter person who is known to datamine Xbox and PC content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom