• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Launch Day Woes

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So, I was going to line up at the Manhattan Best Buy, the only one in the city doing a midnight launch last night. I got there right after work, about 5:15, to find out that they closed the line at 3pm. Plan A = Bust.

So I take the opportunity to go to bed really early and get up equally early in order to hit up a Target and a Circuit City for their morning launches. They are both part of the Atlantic Center Mall in Brooklyn.

I get to Target at 6:30am and greet a line of roughly 150 people awaiting outside (in the rain) the opening at 8am. Around 7:15 the Target employees (quite courteous), inform us that they've only received 40 units, an even 20/20 split. They start handing out numbered tickets to the lucky first 40 in line, whereas the rest of us head over to the Circuit City line across the street. Plan B = Bust.

I get to the Circuit City line (of roughly 50 people) at 7:20 or so, awaiting their ridiculous 10am opening. The drizzle turns to a windy, freezing downpour. We wait calmly the remaining hours, waiting for the CC employees to come and give us direction and information. They don't. At 9:45am, they open that part of the center's doors, and all reason and order dissolves as a human mob of roughly 200 people storm the escalators in order to bum rush the CC for product. Fail. The CC employees (all dry and warm, btw), panic when they see us, slam their doors shut, and lower the metallic reinforcement usually reserved for the store's nightly closing. This is roughly 9:54, 6 minutes before they are technically supposed to open. They attempt to send someone out in order to inform us that they are sold out. (They presumably received anywhere from 50-80 units, was the word).

They haven't even OPENED for business yet. And we can plainly see a shit-ton Xboxes behind the counters. Obviously, this was a dimwitted attempt to get us to disperse.

They amble about for about 10 minutes, as my fellow mobbers, now rightfully enraged, pound on the doors and windows, whilst the employees proceed to call the cops on us. Oh, and check out a couple of Xboxes to THEMSELVES, presumably to keep one and eBay the rest. The cops and THREE fire trucks arrive within minutes, and I promptly exit at that point. Plan C = Bust.

I head on over to the PC Richard's across the street and a nearby Gamestop. Plan D = Bust. Sorry, no story here.

At PC Richard's I meet up with two other fellow geeks, dejected one and all, and we agree to hit up a couple of additional locations together before giving up.

We walk down to the Fulton Mall in downtown Brooklyn in order to tap the Toys R Us there. They received a grand total of 11 units, a 6/5 split favoring the Premium Pack. Plan E = Bust.

We take the subway to the Sunset Heights CostCo and decide that if they actually have any in stock, then we'll pay the $45 on the spot in order to become members. Sadly, they also sold out, after opening at 8am. (They normally open at 11, and we got there at 11:05). One of us spoke to a customer service rep there and they assured us that they'd open today at 11, not early. Lies. Plan F(inal/ubar) = Bust.

JPRaup

Banned
:lol

Plan C was awesome

I was fucking sick all day yesterday so I didnt even go out last night :(
guess Ill have to wait a couple weeks

JMPovoa

Mejilan said:
I get to the Circuit City line (of roughly 50 people) at 7:20 or so, awaiting their ridiculous 10am opening. The drizzle turns to a windy, freezing downpour. We wait calmly the remaining hours, waiting for the CC employees to come and give us direction and information. They don't. At 9:45am, they open that part of the center's doors, and all reason and order dissolves as a human mob of roughly 200 people storm the escalators in order to bum rush the CC for product. Fail. The CC employees (all dry and warm, btw), panic when they see us, slam their doors shut, and lower the metallic reinforcement usually reserved for the store's nightly closing. This is roughly 9:54, 6 minutes before they are technically supposed to open. They attempt to send someone out in order to inform us that they are sold out. (They presumably received anywhere from 50-80 units, was the word).

Man, how could they have not anticipated such a thing? Are they absolutely shut out from today's gaming world?

Mejilan

Yes, Plan C was infuriating, hysterical, and awe-inspiring. Obviously, there was absolutely NO coordination involved in CC's launch... as evidenced by our mob mentality and the staff's subsequent panic.

Pity that the Target launch right across the way and which went off without a hitch, only included 40 units.

Oh, some Target ticket holders came by during our rainy, cold CC lineup and attempted to sell their positions in the Target line for $150 a pop. :lol

Edit - To add insult to injury, both of my umbrellas got torn to shreds during the storm.

Link1110

Good thing I ordered online :D

Barring that, i was going to go to the Costco in Lawrence (2 minutes from my grandmother's house, was even going to sleep there) and go in early as a business member. Wonder if I would've gotten it that way.

Mejilan

Yeah, I only decided to get an X360 about 4 days ago, and on Saturday I went to this very same Target (Plan B) and loaded up on $240 in games and accessories not included in the Premium Pack).

JPRaup

Banned
when I heard about Plan C this is the 1st thing that came to my mind

jake g = C.C. employee

DOORS OPEN
day_after_tomorrow,0.jpg

O FUCK

movies71L_Pic.jpg

story.day.tomorrow.jpg

suaveric

My story- biggest Target store in Chicago, about 40 people wait the entire night (10pm on) and another 40 show up around 5am or so. It's well below freezing with the wind chill.

I'm 23rd in line, and we know via an employee that they've got 60 units. We figure at worst it's a 50/50 split between Core and Premium. I'm good to go.

So the manager comes out at 7am to hand out tickets- except there's no 50/50 split.

60 Xboxes

16 Premium

44 Core

WTF!

All that time and I could've been in line at a local Costco (72 premiums) or the Circuit City next door (no idea how many they had). There was no line at either of those two stores when I got in line at Target. 9+ hours in the fucking cold for a damn Core system.

3rdman

I got to the Best Buy in Miami at 4pm...big mistake. Everybody and their mothers seem to go there...there was easily 250 people in line by 12am. As the crowd was slowly shuffling in, it became apparant that I might not get in, but a few systems were left over and I was offered a core pack...I said no.

So, nine hours in line and nothing. Afterwards I took my wife home before I decided to try other places. I ended up at Toys R Us where I was #8...pretty good odds I thought until the manager came out at 7am and told us they only had 6 for sale and only 2 of them were premium. Again it fell to me and again I turned down the core unit.

I went home after that. :(

The final pisser was that at the Toys R Us, I was waiting with a friend who went on to try Sears and he DID get the premium as would have I had I followed. :(

My BestBuy Got around 30 premium and 17 core. However, they were only selling the advertised minimum (20 prems and 10 core). After that you had to purchase a package deal, the smallest of which was around 600 for a prem system. They held back 3 of each completly so they could sell them on black friday. Why they would even want to add more chaos to that, I dont know.

Fuma

Banned
3rdman said:
I got to the Best Buy in Miami at 4pm...big mistake. Everybody and their mothers seem to go there...there was easily 250 people in line by 12am. As the crowd was slowly shuffling in, it became apparant that I might not get in, but a few systems were left over and I was offered a core pack...I said no.

So, nine hours in line and nothing. Afterwards I took my wife home before I decided to try other places. I ended up at Toys R Us where I was #8...pretty good odds I thought until the manager came out at 7am and told us they only had 6 for sale and only 2 of them were premium. Again it fell to me and again I turned down the core unit.

I went home after that. :(

The final pisser was that at the Toys R Us, I was waiting with a friend who went on to try Sears and he DID get the premium as would have I had I followed. :(

Damn that really sux. Sorry man 8(

i got mine *just now* and after i opened the box, i discovered my new 360 had a gross stench of rotten celery. it doesn't smell like new plastic. is it just my box? anyways, that's my 360 woe.

My launch day woe is that I don't have one, despite preordering back in May between the MTV event and E3, despite winning one, despite camping out for one, despite hitting up many stores in the morning looking for one.

And my regular Live crew all got one :(

Guy at Circuit City tricked me into leaving before they opened with a fake "Sold Out" sign. Didn't realize my mistake until after I left.... yeah....

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Mr. Lemming said:
My launch day woe is that I don't have one, despite preordering back in May between the MTV event and E3, despite winning one, despite camping out for one, despite hitting up many stores in the morning looking for one.

And my regular Live crew all got one :(

I feel kind of guilty. I've trolled the 360 since conception, and here I am today, launch day, where I casually arrive and walk in to the 1st place I go to, after store opening and pick one up, for the sole purpose of price gouging on ebay. That's life I guess. I almost feel enough pity to offer of you the unit for a good deal, but taking into account I can sell it off for double that amount.. it would be stupidity.

Mejilan

I weep for all of you... except for you fuckers that actually got one. :/

I was supposed to be initiated as an Xbot today. Oh well.

BarneyBP

My Sears still hasn't received its shipment. I wasn't among the hoard, but people waited for the 8 am opening only to be told the Truck never arrived. I stopped by and spoke to an employee today and he said the 360s were shipped via UPS and that Sears wasn't able to track UPS shipments with in-store computers. Basically, UPS arrives every day around noon and we should all just hang out waiting for the fabled shipment of Xbox 360s to arrive.

Day 1 has passed. Somewhere out there, those Xbox 360s are lost, cold and hungry. I'll report in on Day 2 tommorrow.

cvxfreak

Mejilan said:
I weep for all of you... except for you fuckers that actually got one. :/

I was supposed to be initiated as an Xbot today. Oh well.

Sucks as much as having it in the shopping cart, reaching the send order button and having the fucking store time out on you. :(

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I waited outside of Toys R Us for a premium pack here in Parma, Ohio since 9 PM last night. Pretty good group of guys waiting with me, kept each other entertained throughout the night. Drunk people trickled over from a bar next door, they were surprisingly fun, but a girl who was totally smashed lost her purse and a few cops showed up. Anyway, at about 8 AM, the manager comes out and tells us that the premium will only be sold in $900 bundles with 6 games. Well, I couldn't swing that, so I ended up getting a core, while johnny douche, who arrived an hour earlier with his friend, picked up a premium bundle and laughed at all of us overnighters.

I have a friend at a local EB (the manager) who got in 6 core systems to 28 premiums. He hasn't sold any of the cores yet because all of the preorders were for the premiums. He's holding them back in the case of any monster customer service issues, but tomorrow he'll sell me one if I want.

I thought about getting it for EBay, but I'd feel sleazy doing that.

Oh well, from various analysts reports there should be a good 3-4 shipments with several being quite LARGE before Christmas hits, so I'm still betting on much better availability than most people think.

I think Microsoft is going to have a very merry Christmas between the US & European launches and I'd expect Japan to do relatively well, as well.

Mejilan

Are any stores taking online preorders for JUST the systems? I'd love to get a stand-alone premium pack, and do not want to do the lineup again once shipment 2 hits.

This shit sucks. I feel genuinely sorry for you guys. :(

Once again Japan still gets 1up on us even though last - HDD packs only.

My (relatively happy ending) launch story.

Get lost on the way to Best Buy in sterling VA. Finally arrive at about 3:15pm, and are about the 150th people in line or about here(I was with 4 other guys). It's raining and in the upper 30's lower 40 degree range. Around 4:00 they hand out "line" tickets, which basically say we are in line. Through a series of talks to people and sorting out misinformation based on logic and probability, we find out that these essentially guarantee us "a system" assuming we don't leave before the NEXT round of tickets is handed out. What we didn't know is that wouldn't be till 11:30. So we keep receiving updates from this cute girl that works there, essentially telling us what we already know, but hey...she seemed to be the only girl within 100 miles at that point so I was not about to complain. Anyway, we don't actually get in to get our systems until close to 1, I don't get back until 3, don't manage to fall asleep until 5...have to wake up again at 8 to go take a differential equations quiz which I didn't study for (and failed...but not because I didn't study, but because with my state of exhaustion apparently I couldn't subtract).

Anyway...ended up with a core system...kinda bummed about that, but I'm grateful I even got a system. We were DAMN close to not getting one.

Mejilan

I actually would've turned down a Core. I bought all the accessories I needed under the assumption I'd get a Premium. Not going to spend MORE on accessories now.

Timen

So it's march 2006 right? I've saved up some money from my birthday and christmas bonusses long enough, it's time to spend! so I walk into my local Mediamarkt and buy the 360 on the spot! the clerk can't give me shit about "we don't have any" because there are loads of them on the shelves! by then it had dropped to 299 for the premium pack the other day. oh boy!

no seriously...

I envy you guys, playing all HD stuff and all :D

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
eh.. all these threads and I see the same thing.. not to offend, but you you guys always got there late. very few of these threads/stories do I see "I went to 10 different store at 4pm the previous day and all were filled up."

The last console I could buy off the shelf on launch day was the PSX (though technically I could have bought an original XBox on launch day also, and psp doesn't count)

N64 I preordered like 3 months in advance (which was a LONG time in advance for 1996). When I went to pickup my preorder TRU shooed all non-preorders away as they didn't even have enough for pre-orders.

DC I preordered again like 3-4 months in advance, and again Software Etc. shooed non-preorders away, although they did have enough to fill preorders (and actually had two left from cancellations)

PS2 I stood in line for a record setting (for me) 18 hours. The line was "full" (no more systems left) by like 4am the morning of.

GCN I stood in line for like 6 hours and was at the tail end of the line. the line was full like 45 minutes after I got there.

PS3 and Revolution I WOULD take time off for, except I already have them "pre-ordered" (my store, which knows me by name, has two running deposits that they will shift over to each system the minute they are available in their system).

either pre-order within the first week of pre-orders or be prepared to stand in line for over 12 hour (and be ready to search for a line you can stand in for over 12 hours). If that sound like too much of a hassle, then really you should lose all right to complain about it.

Vieo

LOL. Plan C is really funny because I know that mall and the downtown Brooklyn area like the back of my hand. =P

That Circuit City is pretty paranoid. It's the type where you can't leave without them stamping your receipt at the exit.

There's a small game shop not too far from that mall. It used to be called Game Champ, but I'm not sure what it's called now. I think it's on Nevins Street. You could have tried there, but seeing as how they didn't have a GBMicro two weeks after it launched, I don't know. It's a really good place to sell/buy used games because their prices are way better than EB.

There's also a GameStop on Court Street (walk towards and a little beyond Jay Street), though I don't know if you would have had much luck there.

The Toys R' Us Megastore in Manhattan is a pretty source of consoles. You can check their stocks of consoles by. It has this neat voice-recognition system setup where you just say what you're looking for and the computer knows what you said and tells you if the item is in stock.

Alcibiades

borghe said:
eh.. all these threads and I see the same thing.. not to offend, but you you guys always got there late. very few of these threads/stories do I see "I went to 10 different store at 4pm the previous day and all were filled up."QUOTE]
QFT

Honestly, I'm not really surprised by the stories. People can't expect to show up a few hours before and have a good chance, especially at all the major retailers.

That's like showing up a few hours before opening on Black Friday and expecting a shot at all the good stuff.

If you want the good stuff, get there VERY early. I'm surprised that even with reports of lines on Sunday evening and Monday morning/afternoon, that people waited till Monday evening and Tuesday A.M. to actually get their chance.

I showed up at 4:45 at Circuit City the on Monday, waiting for the 10:00 am opening the next day. (then again I live in a college town so everything was gonna try up quick).

I heard the night before (Sunday) when I called Wal-Mart there were already people waiting there for the midnight sale.

I haven't really heard any "woes" in this thread. If someone showed up 12 hours or more before store openings/midnight launches and couldn't even leave with a core system I'd have sympathy, otherwise I'd say they are taking a risk at not getting one...

Man, this sucks. I can't remember a console launch where shortages were this bad.

I pre-ordered an X360 in early october in France where I live, and I'm near the top of the list! ...But the french aren't known for being early adopters. There has never been a shortage of PSP's, and shelves have always been well stocked since launch day.

Mejilan

Some of us work and can't afford to take off or get pneumonia. That said, had the CC launch been coordinated, I was well in line for one of the initial 80 units they had. CC FUCKED it up royally, however, and they had a riot on their hands instead.

The Gamestop was out on preorders months ago, obviously.

The GameChamp on Nevins was selling both packs at roughly 150% MSRP... no bundles. That's what I was told, anyway, I didn't bother going myself.

Edit - Also, it doesn't help that I only decided to get one about 4 days ago.

J2 Cool

So with as many dissapointed as they were, and the way it's selling on Ebay, how do you not expect lines the 2nd week as well?

Link1110 said:
Good thing I ordered online :D

Barring that, i was going to go to the Costco in Lawrence (2 minutes from my grandmother's house, was even going to sleep there) and go in early as a business member. Wonder if I would've gotten it that way.

all costcos let xbox360 lines in at premium member times.. so who cares? :p

Link

The Autumn Wind
J2 Cool said:
So with as many dissapointed as they were, and the way it's selling on Ebay, how do you not expect lines the 2nd week as well?
You be surprised how much of an effect "launch hype" has on people. I plan on waiting til next year to pick up a 360, but as the launch got close, I found myself oddly compelled to get one. I was so very close to ordering one from walmart.com when that link was posted, but was able to resist. On the evening of the 21st, I found myself ready to run out of the house and find a line to stand in, but again, I resisted.

Now that the launch is over, I've calmed down and have no problem waiting again. I'm guessing many other people went through the same situation. Mob mentality and all that.

Vieo

Mejilan said:
No Sears in NY, apparently. :/

There's a Sears in Brooklyn and a BIG one at that. It's at King's Plaza. (last stop of the B46 bus)

There's a couple of Gamestops and EBs in there too, as well as a Kay B' Toy store. I'm pretty sure all those locations have been hit up though. =P

Top Bottom