• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 2024 Direct Officially Announced: January 18th (Featuring: Indiana Jones, Avowed, Hellblade)

Yup. All of our dreams will come true on the 18th of January.

Xbox is leaving the console business, going to be a third party publisher. Gamepass is cancelled and all games will release on a purchase only model at 80 dollars each.
Baby Babies GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What? Two wasn't as good as the first and the third was worse.

Subjective but Two was better than the first, IMO.

The third was a victim of Bethesda shoehorning forced co-op experiences in games at that time, something other games like Far Cry: New Dawn also suffered, it was also a spin-off project, not a proper sequel.

Excited to see Indy and Avowed, and hopefully a surprise or two. So, what is the current announced lineup for Xbox this year? Is there one? I thought we were now supposed to be in the phase of a big first-party game once a quarter.

Last edited:

RedC

Excited to see Indy and Avowed, and hopefully a surprise or two. So, what is the current announced lineup for Xbox this year? Is there one? I thought we were now in the phase of a big first-party game once a quarter.
If I'm not mistaken, so far, the Xbox first-party games scheduled to release this year are:

Hellblade 2
MS Flight Sim 2024,
Ara: History Untold,
Towerborne

Indiana Jones and/or Avowed and/or another game or two may be confirmed this year as well.

Last edited:
I am very curious to see more Avowed. Looked promising at the reveal, then like shit last time they showed it. I wanna see Obsidian return to form.
That's the issue when you show a game that hasn't even started development. Early reveal teasers of what you want your game to look like in 5 years is never a great way to introduce an audience to a new IP. It's totally pie-in-the-sky and unrealistic, and they really ought to not do that anymore. It just leads to too much dissapointment.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I simply can't imagine IJ game with the 1st person perspective, so hopefully they're making Uncharted / Tomb Raider-like game.
Phantom Abyss is basically a 1st person temple exploration game with a whip. But I don't expect Indy to be anything like that really.

Excited to see Indy and Avowed, and hopefully a surprise or two. So, what is the current announced lineup for Xbox this year? Is there one? I thought we were now supposed to be in the phase of a big first-party game once a quarter.
We know so far of Indy, Avowed and Hellblade releasing this year. Some second party indies like Towerborne and 33 something.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Clockwork or South of Midnight, but unknown.

Been strongly hinted that we'll see trailers for Perfect Dark, and Gears this year, likely E3.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, so far, the Xbox first-party games scheduled to release this year are:

Hellblade 2
MS Flight Sim 2024,
Towerborne

Indiana Jones and/or Avowed and/or another game or two may be confirmed this year as well.
It looks like just Towerborne has an actual date. The rest are just generic "2024". Maybe this Direct will fill that in a little. It's a bit late to date any of the above for Q1, so that window has passed, unless they have something secret to drop on us, like they did with Hi-Fi Rush. But it makes me a bit nervous that we're going into February and not a single one of their big AAA games have a release window beyond "2024" or just nothing at all.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It looks like just Towerborne has an actual date. The rest are just generic "2024". Maybe this Direct will fill that in a little. It's a bit late to date any of the above for Q1, so that window has passed, unless they have something secret to drop on us, like they did with Hi-Fi Rush. But it makes me a bit nervous that we're going into February and not a single one of their big AAA games have a release window beyond "2024" or just nothing at all.
If I had to guess Avowed is virtually finished. If you put a gun to my head and asked what would be shadowdropped, I'd say Avowed on 1/18. But I don't personally expect any shadow drops.

Hudo

Hellblade 2
MS Flight Sim 2024,
Towerborne

It is also highly likely that Age of Mythology: Retold is coming out this year.

It's been in development for quite a while. Adam Isgreen himself said that it's going to be remade on their current version of the Age 3 engine. And that we probably hear something about it in 24.

I also guess that if a new id Software game is announced (hopefully something Quake related), it is probably at QuakeCon.

Last edited:
If I had to guess Avowed is virtually finished. If you put a gun to my head and asked what would be shadowdropped, I'd say Avowed on 1/18. But I don't personally expect any shadow drops.
Yeah, they won't shadow drop a major game like that. Avowed is prolly second half of the year, at this point. May or June at the earliest, most likely.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, they won't shadow drop a major game like that. Avowed is prolly second half of the year, at this point. May or June at the earliest, most likely.
Only reason I say that is because it didn't seem to market that well last time. I think it will do better when people play it. It's just a wild guess.

Hudo

Put me in the category that I wish indiana Jones was third person. With maybe some fps sections.

I feel we need to see indie
I think third-person is inevitable for an Indiana Jones game. I reckon they will be heavily inspired by Uncharted (which is ironic, I know) since Phil said once in an interview that he was envious of Sony's third-person action games.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think third-person is inevitable for an Indiana Jones game. I reckon they will be heavily inspired by Uncharted (which is ironic, I know) since Phil said once in an interview that he was envious of Sony's third-party action games.

I thought people were saying it was first person. It would be awesome if it was third person. Just make a straight indy uncharted style. Shooting nazis, an awesome train level. All that classic Ness.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
95e729335d77d0859fdafa8159f0b908a96928ce.gif

I hope MachineGames nails Indiana Jones. Xbox could use an "Uncharted" like action/adventure game.

This is footage from the cancelled Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings that was aimed at PS3/Xbox 360:

That looked pretty impressive for the time.

Makes me excited for what a possible Indiana Jones action game could play/look like.

Indy's only been in development for 3 years, right? No way it's coming out this year. I guess holiday would be almost 4 years. But that would include pre-production. Just seems way, way early to me.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Indy's only been in development for 3 years, right? No way it's coming out this year. I guess holiday would be almost 4 years. But that would include pre-production. Just seems way, way early to me.

Machine Games' last full game was in 2019, and that was a spin-off title.

This has been cooking for a while. It was originally supposed to release in 2022 before the Covid delays per the revelations in the acquisition fiasco.

No shadow drop this year?

Or is it gonna be Indi?

They didn't preempt a shadow drop last year either, they only talked about a mystery 5th game in the actual Direct's opening.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Phantom Abyss is basically a 1st person temple exploration game with a whip. But I don't expect Indy to be anything like that really.
The reason I've mentioned it is cuz MachineGames don't have experience in making Uncharted / Tomb Raider-like games. I mean, it doesn't mean that the can't do that, but still, some of the devs sort of had some 3rd person experience during The Chronicles of Riddick and original Starbreeze era, but it wasn't full-fledged 3rd person gameplay. Anyway, we'll see, I hope for the best but I honestly don't even know what to expect from this game - I know what it should be about, how it should look like and the way I want it to be played, but can MachineGames actually do it right is anyone's guess before we could actually see raw gameplay footage.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The reason I've mentioned it is cuz MachineGames don't have experience in making Uncharted / Tomb Raider-like games. I mean, it doesn't mean that the can't do that, but still, some of the devs sort of had some 3rd person experience during The Chronicles of Riddick and original Starbreeze era, but it wasn't full-fledged 3rd person gameplay. Anyway, we'll see, I hope for the best but I honestly don't even know what to expect from this game.
I have no idea. I basically was just expecting a less violent Wolfenstein with puzzles and platforming.

Top Bottom