• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Plane 12 - Official Release Window Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Get a look at X-Plane 12 in this new trailer for the flight simulator game. Check out the trailer to see features of the game, including seasonal effects, wake turbulence, VR support, multiplayer support, volumetric 3D clouds, and more.

X-Plane 12 includes 18 unique aircraft models and detailed 3D scenery for more than 17,000 airports around the world. X-Plane 12 will be released in December 2022 on PC, Mac, and Linux. The game is available now in Early Access.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
That trailer looks *nothing* like the actual sim. That's so heavily doctored that it's borderline false advertising.

Given the state of the beta, this is a massively rushed release out of desperation, of a numbered version that doesn't add much on top of X-plane 11 created to try (and fail) to compete against Microsoft Flight Simulator.

If you care for a good product, stick with MSFS. This is an absolute waste of money and time, and flight simulation isn't a cheap hobby already.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Man after watching this trailer this will never take off. After Microsoft Flight Sim expectations are sky high, this seems like a rush job and even with more grounded expectations it should have been delayed.

Saying early access does not get you an free pass to be taxied past all criticism, feels like their just winging it at this point, going to crash and burn as is.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Man after watching this trailer this will never take off. After Microsoft Flight Sim expectations are sky high, this seems like a rush job and even with more grounded expectations it should have been delayed.

Saying early access does not get you an free pass to be taxied past all criticism, feels like their just winging it at this point, going to crash and burn as is.

Laminar has been completely out of touch with modern development for a long time. That's what happens when the leader is absolutely blinded by his own cult of personality.

They're lucky that they work on a really niche part of the market, because the general gaming crowd would eat them alive.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

I think you need to be denied boarding after all that.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
That trailer looks *nothing* like the actual sim. That's so heavily doctored that it's borderline false advertising.

Given the state of the beta, this is a massively rushed release out of desperation, of a numbered version that doesn't add much on top of X-plane 11 created to try (and fail) to compete against Microsoft Flight Simulator.

If you care for a good product, stick with MSFS. This is an absolute waste of money and time, and flight simulation isn't a cheap hobby already.

Give Laminar Research and Austin Meyer a break. For such a small team, they still did a great job while paying legal fees to fight patent trolls

Its still the best option for OS X or Linux.
Save your energy for Prepar3D devs. These guys bought the MSFSX source code and hired the OG MSFS devs. They are owned by Lockheed Martin, so they don't have any funding excuse. But in a decade they barely innovated, just updating the OG MSFSX game. Until 2006, all MSFS games were completely different from their previous versions, but Prepar3D barely changed.
Secondly, UK2000 Scenery said that the “P3D engine is horrible” and is “miles behind MSFS”. They said that it’s not fun to develop and continues to cause numerous bugs thanks to the legacy FSX issues. Finally, UK2000 Scenery said that 80% of the support tickets they receive are nothing to do with their actual scenery and instead to do with Prepar3D itself or third-party tools (e.g. SODE).

Last edited:

TVexperto

Not sure why everyone is praising MFS2020 so much here, yeah it has nice graphics and clouds but not all systems are perfect and good and it is great to see competition in this field for more innovation.

seriously... if they don't have a fucked up patching system then i might give it a shot.

i really like MSFS but holy shit it's a pain in the ass to update. you download a small launcher then the rest of the game downloads through that. it takes forever even with a good internet connection. i don't have much time to play and it felt like every time i wanted to jump in i had to sit about waiting for updates.

the game is like 100GB or something which i can download in about 50-60 mins but it takes way longer than that to install it.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Give Laminar Research and Austin Meyer a break. For such a small team, they still did a great job while paying legal fees to fight patent trolls

Its still the best option for OS X or Linux.
Save your energy for Prepar3D devs. These guys bought the MSFSX source code and hired the OG MSFS devs. They are owned by Lockheed Martin, so they don't have any funding excuse. But in a decade they barely innovated, just updating the OG MSFSX game. Until 2006, all MSFS games were completely different from their previous versions, but Prepar3D barely changed.
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Nah. I won't give Austin a break. I would if he didn't spend so much time trying to smack talk his competition, but his arrogance is monumental, so he doesn't get any breaks. And no. He's not doing a great job. X-Plane 12 is an obviously rushed release to try and do *something* (and fail) while MSFS is running away.

The fact that the P3D devs are doing worse doesn't excuse anyone. P3D has never been a commercial simulator intended to be purchased by users. They don't even have the license required for that.

Not sure why everyone is praising MFS2020 so much here, yeah it has nice graphics and clouds but not all systems are perfect and good and it is great to see competition in this field for more innovation.

People are praising MSFS because it's by far the better product, and its superiority nowadays goes far beyond the visuals and extends to basically everything. Fact is that it's a product in which actual resources are being invested, so it's not stuck on technology (and tech doesn't involve just graphics) that was already obsolete in 2015. Most of X-Plane's core tech is prehistoric.

Competition is good only when both competitors can actually compete at a comparable level. This is not competition. It's a beatdown. A product like X-plane, which is purchased only by its most rabid fanboys, simply doesn't have the steam to push MSFS by an inch. MSFS would evolve on its own exactly at the same pace as it is doing even if X-Plane went the way of the dodo tomorrow.

Hell, MSFS just got a default actual airliner that can actually satisfy a serious simmer without having to spend a dime on top of the price of admission, while the much-vaunted A330 X-plane implemented in 12 is ludicrously bad.

The truth is that Microsoft is pushing the genre forward *hard*, while Laminar has contributed to holding it back for a decade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom