• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wyoming Just Took The Unusual Step Of Turning Down A New Coal Mine

In a rare move, Wyoming officials on Tuesday rejected a permit to move ahead with the state’s first new coal mine in more than three decades.

The Ramaco Carbon mine won approval from state regulators earlier this year, but local landowners contested the decision. At a hearing on Tuesday, the Environmental Quality Council, a governor-appointed board with oversight over the state’s Department of Environmental Quality, ruled in a 4-to-1 vote that the Kentucky-based coal producer failed to address locals’ concerns, according to the Casper Star-Tribune.

The company is expected to resubmit its application, but it’ll likely face fierce opposition from already-infuriated homeowners like Jill Morrison, who heads a 44-year-old nonprofit that advocates for “conserving our heritage and rural lifestyle.”

“They were arrogant, they were bullies, they didn’t talk to any of the people who would be impacted, they trespassed on people’s private property,” Morrison, director of Powder River Basin Resource Council, told HuffPost by phone on Wednesday. “They just got dealt a pretty big blow.”
More in the link
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wyoming-coal-mine_us_598229dce4b0fa1575fbc4f6?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016&section=politics

Top Bottom