• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Tobor

I wonder if Google could have made more money longterm by continuing to partner with Apple and foregoing Android.

In a market with no Android, Apple would be overwhelmingly dominant, and all of those phones would be pumping money into Google for search, maps, and ads(iAds wouldn't exist either). Wouldn't that be greater than the paltry revenue they get from Android?

I really fucking hope they announce the new Mac Pro line.

They need to reclaim that audience.

It's a small audience, and no, if you look at their revenue breakdowns, Apple definitely does not need it.

I hope they update it, and I'm sure they will, but it's a workstation product and not a consumer product and isn't going to get treated like the four more important Mac lines.

kehs

Banned
I wonder if Google could have made more money longterm by continuing to partner with Apple and foregoing Android.

In a market with no Android, Apple would be overwhelmingly dominant, and all of those phones would be pumping money into Google for search, maps, and ads(iAds wouldn't exist either). Wouldn't that be greater than the paltry revenue they get from Android?

Nokia and MS would have dominated if android wasn't there. Apple is just now getting into the market where android is. Seeing as how Nokia and MS both have mapping, search, and ads, it would have been on the same level.

oatmeal

Banned
It's a small audience, and no, if you look at their revenue breakdowns, Apple definitely does not need it.

I hope they update it, and I'm sure they will, but it's a workstation product and not a consumer product and isn't going to get treated like the four more important Mac lines.

Well, if they update the Mac Pro, they'll get back a lot of the pro users who had switched to Mac for motion picture editing. Especially indies.

FCP is dying fast, everyone is jumping on the Adobe bandwagon. They had that market and let it slip away without a fight.

Well, if they update the Mac Pro, they'll get back a lot of the pro users who had switched to Mac for motion picture editing. Especially indies.

FCP is dying fast, everyone is jumping on the Adobe bandwagon. They had that market and let it slip away without a fight.

Right but that's like 2,000 people.

hyp

I want a new Mac Pro as well. Been waiting a long time. I use mine for motion graphics and 3D animation, so it's definitely falling behind. not sure how I'd feel to have to revert to Windows. I'd probably have it as a dedicated Adobe/3D machine and have an iMac as my main computer for OSX.

I understand the "Pro" users don't bring in a lot of money, but we've been diehard Mac Pro users since the line existed. Hoping there is at least an ounce of care for us.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I was on the cusp of buying a MacBook Air this week but the rumor of a retina display upgrade have made me hesistant.

numble

I know but, wouldn't they want to show off one of iOS 6's biggest features at WWDC?
But the article that it's sourced from says nothing that alludes to showing it off later in the year. Even mentioning that it could be previewed at WWDC.
Later this year, Apple is planning to oust Google Maps as the preloaded, default maps app from the iPhone and iPad and release a new mapping app that runs Apple’s own technology, according to current and former Apple employees. Apple could preview the new software, which will be part of its next mobile-operating system, as soon as next week at its annual developer conference in San Francisco

macbook-pro-2012.jpg

9to5mac have this box shot of a 13 inch MBP.

A Weiphone forum member shows a purported new MacBook Pro spec sheet ripped right from a unit. Notables here are HD 4000 video, USB 3 and 1600MHz DDR3 RAM.

Perhaps more notable in this is the same .95 inch thickness, optical and sad 1280×800 display that isn’t even as dense as the 2010 MacBook Air.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/05/decidedly-un-exciting-13-macbook-pro-spec-sheet-leaks/

Retina 15 inch only?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Well fuck that.

What's the bet the Air has dedicated graphics too?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Perhaps the cheap SKUs will be non-Retina and the bumped SKUs will be Retina or something like that?

Or maybe the 13" will just get neglected and only the 15's will bask in the glory of the Retinas.

LCfiner

That is not an inspiring spec update.

So... If this is true then apple has the 13" air with the super thin design, no optical and decent screen and the 13" pro, which will be the same design for around 4 years now. Would they make a third 13" design that matches the leaked details with hi res screen, thinner, etc...

Hmm. Maybe apple is happy with the 13" air and doesn't want a 13" pro to get too close to it?

Or maybe this is a laptop they can sell for 800 bucks. Heh

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
13" MacBook Arcade confirmed.

The 13 has long been a pro in name only. This will be the last one IMO.

Edit: On second thought it might languish around for a while like a consumer version of the e-Mac.

jts

...hate me...
Um, I can imagine the 13" MBP being the odd one in the line-up, they won't update its form factor because the 13" MBA exists (but the 15" MBP will get updated), and eventually in the next update it will be altogether discontinued. By then the 13" Air will be a bit better, and it may or may not get a rebranding (or even the whole Macbook line which could be simply called Macbook).

Makes sanse?

numble

Does the ShareAlike license of OpenStreetMap require Apple to share the stuff it layers on top of the data?

Will we be facing comments and threads of Android/Apple users changing stances and arguing about the benefits/weaknesses of Open vs. Closed maps?

LCfiner

Does the ShareAlike license of OpenStreetMap require Apple to share the stuff it layers on top of the data?

Will we be facing comments and threads of Android/Apple users changing stances and arguing about the benefits/weaknesses of Open vs. Closed maps?

that’d be pretty funny. I’m relatively pragmatic about all this. I just want a solution that works best for me and I don’t really care if it’s open or closed.

caramac

I just want someone/anyone (Apple?) to announce an hdmi to thunderbolt cable/converter so I can use my beautiful 27in 2011 iMac display for my 360 .....please.

Is it reasonable for me to expect the 11" Air w/ Retina to remain the same price? Because if not, I'll go ahead and get one now.

With only a week to go until announcements, I think it is in your best interest to wait to see what is announced. It is HIGHLY unlikely that the 11" Air will go up in price (there have been rumors that it could go down!) and you'll probably see performance gains regardless of whether or not it goes Retina.

giga

I figured that if you distribute an app, you're distributing the material. I don't dispute that they are allowed to not distribute it.
Well, they're not actually modifying OSM data are they? They're using their own tiles on top of the data being retrieved over the air.

Either way, OSM seems to be fine with what Apple is doing in iPhoto. Here's what they say in their faq: http://blog.osmfoundation.org/faq/

Are there restrictions on using OpenStreetMap data?

There are no restrictions on who can use the data. Individuals, clubs, societies, charities, academe, government, commercial companies. When we say everyone, we mean everyone.

There are no restrictions on where you can use the data. Privately or publicly. Commercially or non-commercially. Paper maps, electronic maps, books, newspapers, TV, gazeteers, search systems, routing, games … or indeed anything you can think of that will surprise us.

There are two restrictions, some call them freedoms, on how you use the data. See the following sections on Attribution and Share-Alike.

Attribution

We would like you to tell people where you got your data from.

Share-Alike

We would like more data to be made publicly and freely available. This depends on what license is used. Right now, we use CC-BY-SA. If you improve our data and want to distribute the new data, it must be done under the same license. If you make a map from our data, whether you use other data or not, you must publish under the same license. Under our proposed new ODbL license, the rule for publishing improved data is the same. If you make a map, you are free to publish that under whatever license you like. If you have improved our data to make it, then you need to share that data under the ODbL.

I don't think Apple would have a problem with sharing OSM data they improve since they do that already with open source components in OS X/iOS. Just don't expect the tiles to be shared since those are original creations.

numble

Well, they're not actually modifying OSM data are they? They're using their own tiles on top of the data being retrieved over the air.

Either way, OSM seems to be fine with what Apple is doing in iPhoto. Here's what they say in their faq: http://blog.osmfoundation.org/faq/

I don't think Apple would have a problem with sharing OSM data they improve since they do that already with open source components in OS X/iOS. Just don't expect the tiles to be shared since those are original creations.

I'm just wondering if Apple is going to go in with these other Google competitors and build-up OSM to be a big open service, funded by billion dollar companies and adding in everything that they will add to their own maps, and making OSM the big competitor to Google Maps.

Or whether their additions will be closed and kept to the chest, making Apple's Maps the competitor to Google Maps.

I guess it also depends on what is considered improving OSM data and what can be argued to be just adding layers.

I'm not too familiar with how OSM works in iPhoto.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm really weary of this google maps ditching thing. Google and possibly Bing seems to be only one who can consistently plan the routes without some stupid major mistakes here in Canada, and I doubt Apple as a newcomer (and buying some unknown companies) will be able to match something so complex, convoluted and refined over the years :\ I'm sure in exchange we'll get some wonderfully looking 3D map views that I'll play with for five minutes and never try again though.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
With only a week to go until announcements, I think it is in your best interest to wait to see what is announced. It is HIGHLY unlikely that the 11" Air will go up in price (there have been rumors that it could go down!) and you'll probably see performance gains regardless of whether or not it goes Retina.
Thanks guys, guess I'll wait then.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple refreshes a portion of their lineup today, to clear the air for WWDC's actual announcements. They've done that before, IIRC.

LCfiner

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple refreshes a portion of their lineup today, to clear the air for WWDC's actual announcements. They've done that before, IIRC.

the store was apparently down for a little while this morning so I thought it could happen but then it went back up and nothing new was added.

if nothing happens by tomorrow (silent Mac pro update, lol) then we’ll know they’re waiting till next week to show us everything.

TUSR

Banned
Thanks for your suggestions, but alas, the 2011 iMac has no mini display port...... only thunderbolt.

same shit. (going in one direction)

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05...with-usb-3-0-and-esata-bumps-price-to-399-99/

A lot of places offer only hubs and stations, but not direct cables.

if anyone else can get on this case, ive spent a decent amount of time and can't come up with anything. I remember in the "post your gaming setup" thread that there was a guy who had a console hooked up to his iMac (90% sure it wasnt a cinema or thunderbolt display) try and see if you can find the guy in those threads.

best of luck.

I'm really weary of this google maps ditching thing. Google and possibly Bing seems to be only one who can consistently plan the routes without some stupid major mistakes here in Canada, and I doubt Apple as a newcomer (and buying some unknown companies) will be able to match something so complex, convoluted and refined over the years :\ I'm sure in exchange we'll get some wonderfully looking 3D map views that I'll play with for five minutes and never try again though.

Apple is aware that Map are important and they bought the two map companies a few years ago in anticipation of launching their own product. I have faith that they'll not only do it well but it will be on par with Google and Bing maps in terms of route finding. I think the past few years of rebuilding the backend for the maps app will probably show through here.

Top Bottom