• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wreckfest is the truth

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yes my friends, after much playing and deliberation I have decided that Wreckfest is infact the truth.

At some point during the wildly entertaining and crazy "demolition" racing, I realized that this game is more than just goofy fun, but it's also one of the best racers ever with a ton of content, amazing physics, driving and destruction that set it apart from the crowd. The gameplay is simple enough yet very deep and no two races will ever be alike. It's nothing like SSX3, but when it comes to fun factor, it's definitely this gens SSX3.

If you are tired of cookie cutter racers that are just meant to be flashy and want a game that actually pushed the medium forward with great racing and some of the all time best destruction of cars and environments, this game is definitely for you.

tommy-boy.gif

Bragr

Banned
I am afraid nothing can compare to the spirit of SSX 3 in our age, but at least you aren't hyping up Rocket League or some absurd casual blasphemy.

Skifi28

I thought it was just ok. The destruction itself was great, but I wouldn't say that alone pushed the medium forward.

Wreck fest goes the right way, but not far enough. The destruction physics were good, but not logical till the end.
I wish the developers finding they balls and driving the physics to the point it is always logic and believable.

Beside that wreckfest is the only racer that save me loosing faith in racing games.
All that Arcade Stuff like Forza an GT, Project Cars is nothing to play when you want to simulate car driving.

Better playing GTA4 instead of GT when it comes to believable physics.... Imho

Midn1ght

I have 280 hours in it, this game and Driveclub are two of my favorite racers of all time.
Bought it day one when it was still in early access and called Next Car Game.

THQ Nordic acquiring Bugbear is the best thing that happened to this game. Before that and for years, the game barely received updates and was dying a slow death. Now it's a fantastic and fun games and I just can't wait for an eventual Wreckfest 2.

NinjaBoiX

It’s a solid if unremarkable racer with some outstanding destruction and physics. But I wish it was a little more difficult or something? I dunno, it’s just missing a little spark to make it really engaging as a racing game, it’s very by the numbers when you aren’t crashing into something.

It’s super impressive but also strangely dull.

GymWolf

Bought this one whan it was in very early access just for the damage system, played a couple of times before remembering that i fucking hate driving games :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

If you think this one has an impressive damage system, go check this other one

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Got some cleanup challenges left to do, think I may fire it back up this evening.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Haven't played it in awhile but when it was free with PS+ one month I had a blast playing it with friends. Game was hilarious online. Racing with school busses on the loop track while everyone else was using their fastest car, blocking races with the combines, etc. Good times.

The way your character model could actually bend and warp if you took enough damage was also great.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

it’s very by the numbers when you aren’t crashing into something.

This is an accurate assessment. I think I put maybe 15 or so hours into the game before my attention drifted to other things. Many of the races have very little wrecking and it does start to feel rather generic at that point.

Fredrik

Bought this one whan it was in very early access just for the damage system, played a couple of times before remembering that i fucking hate driving games :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

That Golf or whatever hitting the wall in high speed triggered my anxiety like crazy. It’s less than half the car left. 😨

The Stig

I absolutely ADORE this game. Its awesome.

Also if you put the difficulty to extreme (or whatever the hardest is) and it turns off rubber banding!

wreckfest.jpg

I even got the hotbomb, which was a real slog and NOT worth it

Guilty_AI

This is an accurate assessment. I think I put maybe 15 or so hours into the game before my attention drifted to other things. Many of the races have very little wrecking and it does start to feel rather generic at that point.
It’s very by the numbers when you aren’t crashing into something.

Although people like comparing it with Destruction Derby (which is still obviously a source of inspiration), the game is mostly meant to portray Folkrace, which is a form of Rallycross that is very popular in Finland (Bugbear is a Finnish studio in fact).

The reason it might feel dull for some is because Wreckfest is, at heart and in many ways, a simulator.

Says the guy being liked by 'The Fartist' 🙃

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Although people like comparing it with Destruction Derby (which is still obviously a source of inspiration), the game is mostly meant to portray Folkrace, which is a form of Rallycross that is very popular in Finland (Bugbear is a Finnish studio in fact).

The reason it might feel dull for some is because Wreckfest is, at heart and in many ways, a simulator.

Says the guy being liked by 'The Fartist' 🙃

Well, it also follows the unlock template of the Destruction Derby games as well...with literal destruction derbies included. This game, to me, felt like Destruction Derby Raw or Demolition Racer: No Exit by way of FlatOut.

Worth noting that this is actually Banger Racing, with the way the rules work, despite BugBear claiming Folk Racing as the inspiration, as in you don't get penalized for purposefully pitting, going backwards, etc..and they don't require the winner to (offer to) sell their car after the race. I mean, yeah, it's Folk Racing, minus the rules, which is Banger Racing, haha.

I think the OP is onto something.

There's a mobile version of Wreckfest too, I believe... though it's pretty expensive for a mobile game.

Guilty_AI

Well, it also follows the unlock template of the Destruction Derby games as well...with literal destruction derbies included. This game, to me, felt like Destruction Derby Raw or Demolition Racer: No Exit by way of FlatOut.

Worth noting that this is actually Banger Racing, with the way the rules work, despite BugBear claiming Folk Racing as the inspiration, as in you don't get penalized for purposefully pitting, going backwards, etc..and they don't require the winner to (offer to) sell their car after the race. I mean, yeah, it's Folk Racing, minus the rules, which is Banger Racing, haha.
I mean, technically it can't be banger racing either since in those you aren't allowed to hit the drivers door, nor can you make the cars as fast as you can in the game. I feel its natural these kinds of games will just tend to exclude these rules to add some more 'fun factor', something many other racing sims also do in fact, especially when the rules are there mainly for safety concerns.

The point is, rules and safety aside, the form factor of the game is still mainly that of a simulator with the way car handle and how the race progresses. Feels even more so when you play with realistic damage which makes it so you can't just happily crash and hit other cars as you please.

Last edited:
Ar you 'me', because I have the same feeling. Driveclub is GOAT for road racers and Wreckfest is the best for some fun, destruction derby style, racing.

PS. Dualsense implementation is also TOP NOTCH in Wreckfest
Driveclub needs qnd deserves a 4k/60 patch! Not only is it beautiful but its just a ton of fun as an arcade racer. The most fun ever drifting mechanics in a racing game. The problem is it looks awful today on a 4k tv due to the type of anti aliasing they were using back in 2014. That combined with only 1080p/30 just destroys the image quality.

Such a shame that so many great games from ps4/xbox one have never been patched.

BodhiHogie

Neo Member
Play this game online with my cousin every few months. Great concept, but I feel it should be way smoother on PS5, and the wait Between races is intolerable. We can’t even figure out how to friend up for a race, I just shout out match titles on the server list that have room for at least two more until he sees it too.

Portman

I dusted this off during the pandemic lockdowns a few years ago and had fun with it. I come and go from it online every few months but recently got back into it and have found it is fun to mix races in between tasks since you have a small gap of time before the next race (normally) starts.

Makes me think of the original Destruction Derby from the PS1/DOS days which I always enjoyed.

I've been singing this game's praises since before it's launch. Bugbear's racing games are always fun and incredibly good especially for such a ridiculously tiny studio.

Ribi

I thought it was just ok. The destruction itself was great, but I wouldn't say that alone pushed the medium forward.
Multiplayer is where is shines. Crashing mfs into the railing Burnout style knowing you just fucked a dudes whole race is great.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Beamng is awesome. You don't even need to like driving games, just download one of the custom crash maps and a bunch of vehicles and before you know it you have spent hours just crashing stuff.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hmm, I wonder if this is included with PS+ Premium. Will need to check later.

Edit: it is, good times ahead - downloading

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Damn. Tbh, that's the only thing I need in a car game. You know the feeling of old Gran Turismo?

Buying used cars, selling them at higher prices to accumulate wealth, unlocking new licenses so you could compete in more prestigious tournaments, buying more advanced and fast cars ...

I haven't found a modern-day racing game that has that type of setup. If anybody knows of such a game, please let me know. I'm craving a good game like that.

Top Bottom