• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Dthomp

Have we ever gotten a Lashley/Brock feud?

Nope, and it's a shame. Pretty sure that was a big part of Lashley returning was for a mania style Brock feud, but then we got Lashley and Sami and his love of his sisters....

I'm torn, cause I love Drew as the champ, but I really want a solid Lashley run. Lashley should have had this push and got the belt at the Rumble and build to Drew winning back at Mania, if it happens now, it'll be too rushed. Drew is one of the few babyfaces that I think works better as champ then chasing the belt.

Dthomp

I’m wondering if I should just cancel my wwe network subscription now and get peacock?

I decided to cancel for now, I'll see what happens with the peacock deal. I'm still not sold that you won't need to have a peacock sub and then still have to pay extra for major PPVs at some point. Have they said if it is supposed to swap over to a paid peacock sub or the free one?

I decided to cancel for now, I'll see what happens with the peacock deal. I'm still not sold that you won't need to have a peacock sub and then still have to pay extra for major PPVs at some point. Have they said if it is supposed to swap over to a paid peacock sub or the free one?
It’s suppose to swap to the premium plus version the 9.99 version,fastlane will be the first to be on peacock premium plus and the wwe network untill wrestlemania which will only be on peacock.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think there was a rumor about a year ago regarding possible premium costs for PPV's. Just a rumor, but I wonder how long before it becomes a thing.

dave_d

This is a bit shocking. Never figured he'd leave Vince. I'm not sure what he can contribute at this point but he's a big name for sure.
Definitely. I thought he was WWE forever and definitely a huge name.(Sorry about the pun.) He'll probably be good at commentary. From what I saw of him when he wasn't being told exactly what to say like on SNL or Conan he's a pretty charismatic guy and arguably the best good will ambassador the WWE had. (So much so that I always say if he and Andre were around at the same time nobody would have heard of Andre.)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Definitely. I thought he was WWE forever and definitely a huge name.(Sorry about the pun.) He'll probably be good at commentary. From what I saw of him when he wasn't being told exactly what to say like on SNL or Conan he's a pretty charismatic guy and arguably the best good will ambassador the WWE had. (So much so that I always say if he and Andre were around at the same time nobody would have heard of Andre.)
So now AEW are having shows three times a week ? Wow. I hope a lot of cross promotion between ROH/NJPW/impact happens as well. If done right this could launch AEW up there as serious competition to WWE I hope more stars come to AEW. Would be nice. Would actually make wwe up there game. Vixen should retire and let Shane Steph and Paul run things.

dave_d

So now AEW are having shows three times a week ? Wow. I hope a lot of cross promotion between ROH/NJPW/impact happens as well. If done right this could launch AEW up there as serious competition to WWE I hope more stars come to AEW. Would be nice. Would actually make wwe up there game. Vixen should retire and let Shane Steph and Paul run things.
Admittedly I'm not the biggest AEW fan but I hope that they'll bring either AAA or CMLL more into the mix. (And more NJPW can only help.)

dave_d

Oh and Vince won't retire. It's more likely he'll die of a stroke screaming "Khan!!" like Captain Kirk than retire.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Oh and Vince won't retire. It's more likely he'll die of a stroke screaming "Khan!!" like Captain Kirk than retire.
shocked vince mcmahon GIF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'd love to see pretty much every company outside of wwe essentially Voltron into one super fed. We're already seeing that a little bit. Impact and Aew and NJPW have all struck an agreement it seems. Good times ahead. Now we just need crowds again.

NickFire

I'd love to see pretty much every company outside of wwe essentially Voltron into one super fed. We're already seeing that a little bit. Impact and Aew and NJPW have all struck an agreement it seems. Good times ahead. Now we just need crowds again.
Hell yeah. And it would be good for WWE too. They need a push to stop playing it so boring and safe all the time.

AJUMP23

I wonder if they will use the Big Show to lead the Dark Order? I think that is a smart call up, as long as they use him well. I got tired of the stich he was doing at WWE. Prove someone is tough, have them fight the Big Show.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I wonder if they will use the Big Show to lead the Dark Order? I think that is a smart call up, as long as they use him well. I got tired of the stich he was doing at WWE. Prove someone is tough, have them fight the Big Show.

Big Shiw will be a commentator for the new AEW TV Show

futurama78

Banned
Watched that Eli Chamber Monday. Still got RAW. Need some good wrasslin in my life every week. Didn’t watch last year. Like the screens.

Peacock move is interesting.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Watched that Eli Chamber Monday. Still got RAW. Need some good wrasslin in my life every week. Didn’t watch last year. Like the screens.

Peacock move is interesting.

The big improvement with Thunderdome is being in a real arena. Allows the camera to move normally. The Performance Center was just too cramped and felt weird.

NickFire

Last night's AEW show was a step back imo. I finished it in absolute disbelief that two matches on the next PPV card will star old men, which makes no sense at all to me. Mox's promo did nothing for me and was a let down when Omega never attacked him (as an aside, I never followed him before AEW. You guys who were promoting him to me previously --> were f'ing right). I'm not desperate to see Big Slow in the ring on a regular basis, but I was hoping he would be involved more because he can really entertain. Inner Circle had too little TV time imo. And they decided to remind me what a joke the women's division is. BB should have won that match. She's the only woman in the company with any charisma.

futurama78

Banned
The big improvement with Thunderdome is being in a real arena. Allows the camera to move normally. The Performance Center was just too cramped and felt weird.
True. NXT feels fine but maybe it’s the black and yellow. Or maybe I don’t watch it enough.

futurama78

Banned
Edge vs Roman huh? Good deal.

So much for dat iron clad contract. But like he needs a suit for sure. But is there enough screen time?

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Edge vs Roman huh? Good deal.

So much for dat iron clad contract. But like he needs a suit for sure. But is there enough screen time?

Roman has finally become the type of character he was supposed to be, can't see Edge taking the belt as Edge is going to remain a liability at his age and style. Feels like a waste to me

Dthomp

Last night's AEW show was a step back imo. I finished it in absolute disbelief that two matches on the next PPV card will star old men, which makes no sense at all to me. Mox's promo did nothing for me and was a let down when Omega never attacked him (as an aside, I never followed him before AEW. You guys who were promoting him to me previously --> were f'ing right). I'm not desperate to see Big Slow in the ring on a regular basis, but I was hoping he would be involved more because he can really entertain. Inner Circle had too little TV time imo. And they decided to remind me what a joke the women's division is. BB should have won that match. She's the only woman in the company with any charisma.

I actually love the Paul Wight signing, if you find some interviews, the dude has a good mind for the business and I think will be helpful for helping their bigger guys be better big guys. I don't see him doing much in the ring, hopefully just kind of like Andre towards the end. Maybe a match or two a year just to help put over guys and do his job commentating (Which I think he will be a very good color commentator). I have always been a huge supporter of Kenny, and I love the heel turn, but somebody needs to tell him to fuck off with wanting to do some of this stupid hardcore crap. When you are potentially one of the greatest in ring wrestlers on the planet, I look down on this stupid hardcore shit. Guys like Mox who aren't that impressive in ring need that crap, and send him down to the midcard with the rest of the ECW reject folk. I so want to fast forward to a time where Mox is out of the title picture, he does nothing for me, he's just Dean Ambrose with more colorful language. This will be the first ever AEW PPV that I likely do not order, I just have no interest in this main event or really any of the current matches. They will likely be entertaining, but nothing that screams I'd pay $50 bucks for that.

IC has gone on too long in this version, and I hope that Revolution is where we see some fat trimmed (MJF kills Jericho after failing to win) and they just go full heel faction. I thought the womens tournament would be a good way to start the ball rolling on their division and we are back to fucking square 1. Nyla Rose...is not good, stop pushing her. WHY does Britt not get the fucking rocket strapped to her? She is the only female that has managed to get over even with being used poorly. Nyla gets to be on dynamite while the other semi match is on fucking dark? I don't care if it's Rosa or Riho, I don't care about them vs. Rose. This tourney should have been the major push of Britt to finally be the one to get the belt off of Shida.

futurama78

Banned
Roman has finally become the type of character he was supposed to be, can't see Edge taking the belt as Edge is going to remain a liability at his age and style. Feels like a waste to me
Is he like a mob boss? Edge needed (not wanted and wanted) to go against the top dog so like guess he can’t win.

Last edited:

NickFire

I actually love the Paul Wight signing, if you find some interviews, the dude has a good mind for the business and I think will be helpful for helping their bigger guys be better big guys. I don't see him doing much in the ring, hopefully just kind of like Andre towards the end. Maybe a match or two a year just to help put over guys and do his job commentating (Which I think he will be a very good color commentator). I have always been a huge supporter of Kenny, and I love the heel turn, but somebody needs to tell him to fuck off with wanting to do some of this stupid hardcore crap. When you are potentially one of the greatest in ring wrestlers on the planet, I look down on this stupid hardcore shit. Guys like Mox who aren't that impressive in ring need that crap, and send him down to the midcard with the rest of the ECW reject folk. I so want to fast forward to a time where Mox is out of the title picture, he does nothing for me, he's just Dean Ambrose with more colorful language. This will be the first ever AEW PPV that I likely do not order, I just have no interest in this main event or really any of the current matches. They will likely be entertaining, but nothing that screams I'd pay $50 bucks for that.

IC has gone on too long in this version, and I hope that Revolution is where we see some fat trimmed (MJF kills Jericho after failing to win) and they just go full heel faction. I thought the womens tournament would be a good way to start the ball rolling on their division and we are back to fucking square 1. Nyla Rose...is not good, stop pushing her. WHY does Britt not get the fucking rocket strapped to her? She is the only female that has managed to get over even with being used poorly. Nyla gets to be on dynamite while the other semi match is on fucking dark? I don't care if it's Rosa or Riho, I don't care about them vs. Rose. This tourney should have been the major push of Britt to finally be the one to get the belt off of Shida.
I like the signing, and want then to give him a microphone more. He can be really entertaining. I just don't want to see AEW become old school TNA, where past their prime guys from the bigger promotion seemed to dominate.

I'm with you on keeping Omega away from the hardcore stuff. There is no reason to make him resort to gimmick crap. Let him just dominate in traditional matches.

Huge disagreement on IC. I want to see Jericho and MJF run this longer. I like their chemistry.

Dthomp

I like the signing, and want then to give him a microphone more. He can be really entertaining. I just don't want to see AEW become old school TNA, where past their prime guys from the bigger promotion seemed to dominate.

I'm with you on keeping Omega away from the hardcore stuff. There is no reason to make him resort to gimmick crap. Let him just dominate in traditional matches.

Huge disagreement on IC. I want to see Jericho and MJF run this longer. I like their chemistry.

I think for the most part they are approaching their Ex-WWE signings much smarter then TNA. TNA was grabbing midcarders and immediately giving them the world titles. Dudes like Christian were not big enough deals to be right into the main event picture. Guys like Angle and Hardy who were only available because of being unreliable drug addicts wasn't great for their image either.

For the most part, I like their ex-wwe signings, but man are they inconsistent on what to do with them. Moxley is a trash hardcore gimmick, why on earth is he a main eventer? Miro comes over, and gets put with some nonsense jobber in Kip (I like Kip, but this pairing is dumb). Brodie was finally starting to find his place before he passed, but was always really underutilized in WWE. I could live with all these guys feuding over the TNT title though, and if any really get over on another level then elevate them. You are right though, Show can be very entertaining, and I could see him taking Codys spot against Shaq and then doing nothing but commentary after that til they need to elevate a big dude who can get into it with show. Maybe Brian Cage down the road.

I think a heel...like hate him heel MJF and a returning babyface Jericho (After a long break) will be an absolute great program. Them as a tag only doesn't work for me because of how good Santana and Ortiz are as a team and should be the focus of their tag group.

Dthomp

Who would you have given it to?

Hmm that's a good question. The show I watch the most is AEW followed by WWE so they are the ones I'm most familiar with, and I assume you can't give it to tag teams otherwise YB and FTR are leagues above him. Honestly, for the last year I'd easily have Omega, Ibushi, Drew and Roman just above him. I wish I had the time or energy to watch NJPW to know a few more of these dudes. Moxley is an average promo, and a below average wrestler that got alot of credit for AEW being so good...but to me AEW was already clicking and would have had the same trajectory with anybody that took the belt off of Jericho. None of Moxleys matches were anything special and the one that gets the most praise didn't deserve it for the match against Kingston, Kingston made people care about that match and him, Moxley was just the body on the other side.

If Tony wasn't such a Moxley mark he'd already have worked his way back to the Lance Archer, Kingston midcard range, but for some reason he thinks Mox is the best wrestler in the world filled with a roster of better performers and characters. He was the least interesting Shield member in a group of not overly interesting characters, and there is a reason he ended up gone. He's built for an ECW show in a world where nobody wants an ECW show. I really am looking forward to seeing the main event scene get much better when he takes his time off and hopefully steps into a role on the card instead of angry hardcore wrestler.

Dthomp

God I hadn't looked at the whole list before, imagine having Tony Schiavone and JR as 3rd and 4th best announcers...I love AEW, but they are terrible announcers in todays day. Neither know a fraction of the moves, and don't seem to care about the talent unless they were around during their haydays. Excalibur with anybody else is always a much better show. Clearly this list really hates WWE but man.

Wait...how is JR the 4th best, and 4th worse announcer? Honestly, I think Byron Saxton and Beth Phoenix are the worst two commentators by far in wrestling so shocked to see Cole and Graves at the top.

shoplifter

. I have always been a huge supporter of Kenny, and I love the heel turn, but somebody needs to tell him to fuck off with wanting to do some of this stupid hardcore crap. When you are potentially one of the greatest in ring wrestlers on the planet, I look down on this stupid hardcore shit.

The guy legitimately wants to be known as the guy that can do every style of match incredibly well. I love 90s FMW and I sure as shit don’t want him doing it regularly, but it makes sense as both a blowoff for the feud and a logical progression for Kenny’s continuing descent into madness. They’ve been at each other on and off for almost two years, so I really want to see what they can do with the gimmick.

NickFire

Getting quiet in here. Cheers to Bobby Lashley getting the title, and I enjoyed the Miz's antics trying to avoid the match. I don't care what people say, Miz still delivers as long as we aren't expecting more than what he is.

Also cheers to MVP. I don't think its a stretch to say he has elevated more guys in the past year or so than anyone else in the industry. The Hurt Business is booming.

Top Bottom