• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow, Metroid Dread really is the Soulsborne of Metroid (no spoilers thread)

Phase

This game gives you all the nostalgia of Metroid, with modern combat and punishing difficulty, a develish map and is hellishly paced.

Maybe I should have compared the combat and difficulty to a 2D Ninja Gaiden Black.

It's that slick.
Ugh. Do I want a Switch that bad?
Confused Charlie Day GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Even veteran Metroid players will die more times in Metroid Dread than in any other installment of the franchise. This is a hard game. It’s easily one of the hardest first-party Nintendo games ever made.

Metroid Dread has around a half dozen major boss fights and twice as many minibosses. The latter are tough but manageable, frequently featuring returning enemies with slightly modified mechanics. But the major boss fights? Holy cow, they don’t mess around. These multiphase battles require near perfection, with a mistimed jump or rocket leading to an instant restart. In one of the midgame fights, I counted no fewer than seven different attack patterns, one of which could best be described as Flappy Bird meets Metroid. Shit gets wild.

These boss fights are expertly tuned and never feel unfair. With patience, they are beatable. But they are also much, much harder than the rest of Metroid Dread, in the same way that Dark Souls bosses can serve as enormous spikes in difficulty compared to the rest of the games.

Nah, don't have the time or patience for a game like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

GymWolf

I only have one question. Do you get hit if you just touch an enemy, even if they aren't attacking?

It's the only thing I really hate about metroidvania games, despite loving them.
Not every meteoidvania use that mechanic.

tommib

Metroid 1 was a damn hard game way before any kind of "souls" or "bornes" were even a glimmer in some game designers eye.
That’s a bit hard on From Software. King’s Field came out in 1994, same year Super Metroid did. And we all know Demon’s Souls was just a sophisticated third person King’s Field 5.

Majukun

game didn't look great in trailer and i admit i'm not the biggest fan of 2d metroid, but i really hope is great because i'll probably get a switch sooner or later and the more good games on it the better

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
For those that have played this game early and also Samus Returns, are the bosses genuinely more difficult than:

DIGGERNAUT
3mLnsgb.png

I actually loved fighting that boss in Samus Returns...but many people complained about it being too difficult. 🤔

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
For those that have played this game early and also Samus Returns, are the bosses genuinely more difficult than:

DIGGERNAUT
3mLnsgb.png

I actually loved fighting that boss in Samus Returns...but many people complained about it being too difficult. 🤔
I'm pretty sure the thing about that boss that showed how bad MS is at game making was the lack of a checkpoint after killing him and then that dumb chase sequence that was a waste of time and padding. That chase was too fucking long and just annoying, didn't really add anything to go the game.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

DIGGERNAUT
3mLnsgb.png

For me the problem I had with that boss is actually knowing what to do to kill him, because after some repeat I never died or received damage untill I came to certain phase which even was very against login when trying things, I think it was WAY too cryptic and couldn't beat him with an alternative way than knowing exactly that very specific thing to do, and even doing similar things didn't work so I discarded the actual solution from the beginning, it was absolutely counter intuitive and was one of those three moments in my life I got tired and just searched on youtube so I could finally end that shit show...

I was literally letting myself get killed several times cause I just wanted to try again from the beginning and could just not see what I had to do next to kill him... each time it didn't even touch me, patters were easy tbh, the problem was the design, not difficulty imo.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Do you know some that don't? I bet I'd enjoy playing them. I'm at the end of Ender Lilies now, but it does the same thing.
Fist forged in furryland on top of my head.

Also Death door if i remember well.

Oh and the latest strider game if i remember well.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
8 hours for my first attempt, didn't 100% though, and you can add a couple hours to the time lost due to deaths, mostly to the 2 bosses I mention in my other comment
Which game prepared you the most for those two encounters? Cause me talking to myself over a boss scares everyone. :)

Phase

Fist forged in furryland on top of my head.

Also Death door if i remember well.

Oh and the latest strider game if i remember well.
Loved Death's Door. Will be playing Fist soon, so that's good to know. It's mostly 2D metroidvania's that frustrate me with the touch thing.

NoxNyctores

Which game prepared you the most for those two encounters? Cause me talking to myself over a boss scares everyone. :)
Which game? As in where I've gotten the skills to beat them? The game itself I'd say does more than enough to get you ready against any boss or EMMI encounter, it isn't Soulslike at all where you need to go through the same areas again and again trying to avoid any enemy damage as you get checkpoints before a boss or an EMMI encounter, so you can jump right again into the fight, after that pattern recognition and understanding which part of your kit you need to use is going to be the most vital part of the encounter, most bosses have fairly simple patterns, relying a lot on doing a lot of damage just so you can't simply facetank them (to give you an idea half the bosses do more damage than most of the final boss attacks to frankly fairly ridiculous amounts) but I still didn't have much trouble

Also don't think that I'm a Soulsborne veteran, the ones that I've played (1, 3 and Sekiro) were during their refund period, so I certainly didn't grab my skills from there

kunonabi

Which game? As in where I've gotten the skills to beat them? The game itself I'd say does more than enough to get you ready against any boss or EMMI encounter, it isn't Soulslike at all where you need to go through the same areas again and again trying to avoid any enemy damage as you get checkpoints before a boss or an EMMI encounter, so you can jump right again into the fight, after that pattern recognition and understanding which part of your kit you need to use is going to be the most vital part of the encounter, most bosses have fairly simple patterns, relying a lot on doing a lot of damage just so you can't simply facetank them (to give you an idea half the bosses do more damage than most of the final boss attacks to frankly fairly ridiculous amounts) but I still didn't have much trouble

Also don't think that I'm a Soulsborne veteran, the ones that I've played (1, 3 and Sekiro) were during their refund period, so I certainly didn't grab my skills from there
Man, MS never learns. Good thing I kept my expectations in check.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Man, MS never learns. Good thing I kept my expectations in check.
Considering the bosses are by far the hardest part of the game other than solving environmental puzzles to get to them, it would have been a terrible design decision not to have checkpoints before the encounters. This was actually praised in several reviews because it helps the pacing tremendously.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not slick enough to be compared to Metroid. It wasn't really an apt comparison but "the souls of" has become almost almost a meme at this point that people would recognise as meaning a difficult instalment in the franchise.
I was mostly ribbing souls fans lol.

Anyways going to pick up dread during a BF sale because my backlog is huge, but looking forward to it when I do. I have all been waiting for dread since we scanned that wall in metroid prime 3 after all. Glad you like it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

DIGGERNAUT
3mLnsgb.png

It took me about 40 ish minutes to beat the last boss.
After that i beat him again in 1 go. without getting hit

I never got that far into returns so i have no idea :(
Some bosses are pretty tough in dread but once you get it they are easy..

I checked the diggernaut fight.. It seems dread is way harder

Last edited:

MacReady13

Can we stop for a moment to have a discussion of nomenclature? It's not a metroidvania. It's a metroid. Action-adventure with a focus on exploration and character progression focused on traversal and survival. "-Vania" is where the focus is split towards combat, in both overall design and character progression.

There are hardly any progression elements (i.e. upgrades) in Metroid, that are solely for the purpose of combat. Everything adds to traversal or survival, letting you get into weird locations, overcome new kinds of barriers, and avoid damage from specific threats. The combat applications are secondary. It's the 'Castlevania' games where the exploration is directly mixed with combat, and progression, where it exists, acts to improve your fighting ability more often than it does to help you traverse the map.

From what we've seen of Dread, there's maybe one upgrade that is combat-only, and even that technically lets you overcome an area threat to make it safer to traverse. Everything else, bombs, ice beams, boosted full-body-tackle charges, multi-missiles, is used to solve puzzles and traverse the map, rather than just to fight things.
No need to be pedantic. We all know what we are talking about when it comes to MetroidVanias. It's a loving term for games similar to Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. This is a new Metroid game, hence some of us coining the term it is a new MetroidVania game.

cireza

it would have been a terrible design decision not to have checkpoints before the encounters
Previous games did not need this. Another game-design choice that shows how far they strayed from the path of the originals. 360° aiming, QTEs, counters, check points... How come the old games were so great, and stand the test of time, without any of this ?

kunonabi

Considering the bosses are by far the hardest part of the game other than solving environmental puzzles to get to them, it would have been a terrible design decision not to have checkpoints before the encounters. This was actually praised in several reviews because it helps the pacing tremendously.
Eh, I could possibly live with the boss battles if they are as extravagant as people claim but the Emmi sections having checkpoints makes them completely pointless. You cant really have tension or dread if dying is completely meaningless.

Velius

Banned
Challenge is good to hear but--- how GOOD is it in terms of Metroid? The environments, the enemies and music? The exploration. Those are the things that make Metroid, Metroid.

Please tell me now and tell me plain

kunonabi

I expected no less. They did that for Samus Returns, too. It'd be weird if it didn't have the check points.
They were making such a big deal about the Emmis I thought they might have changed things up. Of course Nintendo themselves didn't do much better with SA-X implementation back in the day so I guess this is par for the course really.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They were making such a big deal about the Emmis I thought they might have changed things up. Of course Nintendo themselves didn't do much better with SA-X implementation back in the day so I guess this is par for the course really.
Maybe it should be optional. In the old days they'd have a save room close to where the boss is gonna be. So I kinda get your point.

NT80

Metroid Prime had one of my favourite boss battles of all time in it's final boss so glad to hear that the bosses are great. I like to have great tough boss battles.

NoxNyctores

Challenge is good to hear but--- how GOOD is it in terms of Metroid? The environments, the enemies and music? The exploration. Those are the things that make Metroid, Metroid.

Please tell me now and tell me plain
You know, originally I had a lot more written, but I'll just leave this: the only way I can see critics praising this game that much is if you tell me they rather see fanboys fight each other on the internet rather than being crucified for telling the world that the new Metroid is just a good 7/10 that won't replace your favourite Metroid instead of a great 9/10

amigastar

I'm about an hour into the game but so far the difficulty level is just right, i would not say its Souls like difficulty. Maybe that changes later on idk.

Top Bottom