• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I doubt Activision would even have a hand in it, honestly. They've been incredibly hands off with Classic so far. Hell, they even let Blizzard roll the subscriptions into one. I think they've been warned that Classic is only successful until they start injecting it with awful MTX shit and the like.

You play the beta? Or watch any? World PVP is gonna be bigger in Classic than ever before. Even in the low level stress tests we were forming up multiple raids on low level enemy zones just for fun.

Basically every poll they take on the Classic WoW subreddit (I know, I know, I literally only use that one and can stop soon) regarding this has something like a 60/40 split on moving to TBC and the number 1 cited reason for not wanting to is flying. Every time someone made a "theoretical TBC redux" thread, the top response was "same game no flying". Obviously it only affects PVP servers but the clear majority of Classic players are rolling on those.

Anyway, all that's irrelevant, the point is it would've been super weird to do TBC first without vanilla just because a lot of people prefer it. Hell, I do, I intend to play the shit outta TBC Classic if (when) it launches.

I have been playing the Beta and I don't see WPvP being any bigger than before. The reason it is so popular in the beta as of now is because people don't want to dedicate the time to growing a character only for it to be deleted come release.

Classic WoW Subreddit is by no means a good measure to understand all the people playing Classic and suggesting otherwise is silly. Also do you have evidence that the "clear majority of Classic Players" are rolling on PvP realms? I would love to see the hard data you have of that.

Vega64 did about 48 average, 45 "1% min" in WoW tests, 5700XT Pulse is about 20% faster than Vega64 (across a bunch of games)
Note that classic is less demanding, besides, you have option to dowscale "a bit" (i.e. not jump from 4k to 1440p, but go for 90% of 4k) if you feel it's not fast enough.

WoW is very CPU intenstive, but 3700x rocks.

Don't forget to use AMD's "anti-lag".

PS
Wraith Prism cooler is included with 3700x. It is quite colorful, you probably don't have to spend $139 on another:

qaZtFa5.jpg

no hard need to go with 570 mainboard either.

Thanks for the info. The reason why I went with the AOI is the case does not come with fans so I planned in installing it on the side and running as Intake to carry the heat from the GPU away with positive pressure, but I might look at the pricing of three rgb fans instead.

Again thanks.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I have been playing the Beta and I don't see WPvP being any bigger than before. The reason it is so popular in the beta as of now is because people don't want to dedicate the time to growing a character only for it to be deleted come release.

Classic WoW Subreddit is by no means a good measure to understand all the people playing Classic and suggesting otherwise is silly. Also do you have evidence that the "clear majority of Classic Players" are rolling on PvP realms? I would love to see the hard data you have of that.

Sure, they can't grow their characters now, what about when they can and have? What happens when everyone's got pre raid BiS and it isn't raid night? What d'you think people are gonna do without BGs? World PVP. Even after BGs are added, you've still gotta get out and farm for gold or mats. You still have to make your way to raid instances. There will still be WPVP and flying killed it off in TBC, it's no secret. Just because you don't seem that interested doesn't mean a giant chunk of people aren't.

Also do you have evidence that the "clear majority of Classic Players" are rolling on PvP realms? I would love to see the hard data you have of that.

Are you not aware that they've just had to add an extra PVP realm per region because the others got completely filled up so quickly? And that the others have only just moved from "low" to "medium"?

dirthead

Banned
I doubt Activision would even have a hand in it, honestly. They've been incredibly hands off with Classic so far. Hell, they even let Blizzard roll the subscriptions into one. I think they've been warned that Classic is only successful until they start injecting it with awful MTX shit and the like.

You play the beta? Or watch any? World PVP is gonna be bigger in Classic than ever before. Even in the low level stress tests we were forming up multiple raids on low level enemy zones just for fun.

Basically every poll they take on the Classic WoW subreddit (I know, I know, I literally only use that one and can stop soon) regarding this has something like a 60/40 split on moving to TBC and the number 1 cited reason for not wanting to is flying. Every time someone made a "theoretical TBC redux" thread, the top response was "same game no flying". Obviously it only affects PVP servers but the clear majority of Classic players are rolling on those.

Anyway, all that's irrelevant, the point is it would've been super weird to do TBC first without vanilla just because a lot of people prefer it. Hell, I do, I intend to play the shit outta TBC Classic if (when) it launches.

You can't look at Reddit or fourms for shit like this. It's a vocal minority crying about flying. The overwhelming majority of players like it.

But anyway, the fact that the subs were rolled into 1 was Activision, actually. If they hadn't been completely cynical monsters, there would have been a separate $5/month classic only sub and you would have got it with a retail subscription also. The fact that there wasn't a separate cheaper option was pure Activision.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You can't look at Reddit or fourms for shit like this. It's a vocal minority crying about flying. The overwhelming majority of players like it.

But anyway, the fact that the subs were rolled into 1 was Activision, actually. If they hadn't been completely cynical monsters, there would have been a separate $5/month classic only sub and you would have got it with a retail subscription also. The fact that there wasn't a separate cheaper option was pure Activision.

Problem is it's one of the only places you can get any sort of data on shit like that. You can't exactly poll "all WoW players". I'm sure the majority of people who have ever played WoW think flying's a good thing, but if you narrow that bracket down to people who would be willing to play a Vanilla or TBC server, and a PVP one at that, through all the content? Might not be the case.

Yeah, I shouldn't have worded it as "let" Blizz roll the subscriptions, obviously the publisher will have set the price. But what they didn't do was what I feel a lot of people expected, which was a $10 classic sub or the option to get both for $20, or something like that. It could have gone worse. Anyway, I hate to waste time speculating over how badly things might go in the future especially when the Classic team have been knocking out of the park pretty consistently. No way in hell they'd ever force BC, it'd just under everything they've done.

New content in classic is a different story. That's where even I don't trust anyone at that company to come up with great content for a 2004 video game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Problem is it's one of the only places you can get any sort of data on shit like that. You can't exactly poll "all WoW players". I'm sure the majority of people who have ever played WoW think flying's a good thing, but if you narrow that bracket down to people who would be willing to play a Vanilla or TBC server, and a PVP one at that, through all the content? Might not be the case.

Yeah, I shouldn't have worded it as "let" Blizz roll the subscriptions, obviously the publisher will have set the price. But what they didn't do was what I feel a lot of people expected, which was a $10 classic sub or the option to get both for $20, or something like that. It could have gone worse. Anyway, I hate to waste time speculating over how badly things might go in the future especially when the Classic team have been knocking out of the park pretty consistently. No way in hell they'd ever force BC, it'd just under everything they've done.

New content in classic is a different story. That's where even I don't trust anyone at that company to come up with great content for a 2004 video game.

Now you are changing the goalpost. You never mentioned anything specifically about PvP servers, you said Classic WoW as a *whole*. Of course the people who roll specifically on PvP servers will want strong open world PvP - but they have and continue to be a niche thing.

dirthead

Banned

Honestly I would have preferred a $10 classic only option. It's $5 less than the currently worthless sub. The latest iteration of the game is dead. It really has no long term future. Releasing Classic at all is essentially an admission of that. If the current game was engaging and keeping people happy, they'd be doubling down on it instead of wasting resources and segmenting their player base. And for anyone who is going to naysay on that, that's literally one of the arguments that Blizzard made against doing retro servers in the first place. It would segment the population and detract focus from the current game. This is a last gap effort to bleed as much from this rock as possible before it completely dries up.

The current retail game is already starting to feel kind of empty. Classic is going to exacerbate that problem, which will make retail even less attractive, snowball effect, etc.

The writing's on the wall for WOW. Someone really needs to make a next generation MMO. You can't just keep pillaging this game forever. More time passed between the release of WOW and now than time between the release of Super Metroid and WOW. Think about that. Yikes.

AV

Now you are changing the goalpost. You never mentioned anything specifically about PvP servers, you said Classic WoW as a *whole*. Of course the people who roll specifically on PvP servers will want strong open world PvP - but they have and continue to be a niche thing.

Literally in the exact same sentence you quoted me on. Quite obviously world PVP is only going to be a big deal on the servers where people go with the express intention of avoiding it, nobody should even need to clarify that.

Obviously it only affects PVP servers but the clear majority of Classic players are rolling on those.

At this point you're just hearing what you want to hear man, I've given you evidence, which you can go look at right now yourself, of the fact that Classic players are majority PVP server players, and somehow they're "niche" even though that's the sole reason why people go to PVP servers in the first place. Let's just move on.

Will get to you D dirthead later or tomorrow, I need to head home in 3.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Literally in the exact same sentence you quoted me on. Quite obviously world PVP is only going to be a big deal on the servers where people go with the express intention of avoiding it.

At this point you're just hearing what you want to hear man, I've given you evidence, which you can go look at right now yourself, of the fact that Classic players are majority PVP server players, and somehow they're "niche" even though that's the sole reason why people go to PVP servers in the first place. Let's just move on.

Will get to you D dirthead later or tomorrow, I need to head home in 3.

You are right, that was my bad, apologies. However, you still claim that the majority of classic players are rolling on PvP realms and have yet to provide any evidence to support that.

gifgaf

I doubt it. The moment they add any of those the population will plummet. I think they're aware that the reason people want to play Vanilla is because it doesn't have those "features".
You give those greedy shits at Activision too much credit. I hope you are right, but they are not giving us Classic servers out of loyalty to its players even though people would like to believe that.

Helios

You give those greedy shits at Activision too much credit. I hope you are right, but they are not giving us Classic servers out of loyalty to its players even though people would like to believe that.
Oh, I know what they're capable of. I just think that they understand that if they add any bullshit in the game most people will leave for private servers and such which will result in a loss for them. I also hope that if Classic will be successful it will give the dev team some leverage when dealing with Activision. I know it's a lot of "I hope" and "I think" but unfortunately that's the only thing we can do right now,

AV

You are right, that was my bad, apologies. However, you still claim that the majority of classic players are rolling on PvP realms and have yet to provide any evidence to support that.
You missed this part:
Are you not aware that they've just had to add an extra PVP realm per region because the others got completely filled up so quickly? And that the others have only just moved from "low" to "medium"?
Seems the two normal realms have moved from medium to high now, but the point stands. PVP realms are so popular they had to add an extra one.
vP2KNdc.png

They now outnumber PVE realms and also have higher populations. Same in the USA. It was set in stone before really - as much as we all laugh at sites like Reddit, the data can be pretty solid sometimes. This is from before the servers were announced:
hSSTxcv.png

Honestly I would have preferred a $10 classic only option. It's $5 less than the currently worthless sub. The latest iteration of the game is dead. It really has no long term future. Releasing Classic at all is essentially an admission of that. If the current game was engaging and keeping people happy, they'd be doubling down on it instead of wasting resources and segmenting their player base. And for anyone who is going to naysay on that, that's literally one of the arguments that Blizzard made against doing retro servers in the first place. It would segment the population and detract focus from the current game. This is a last gap effort to bleed as much from this rock as possible before it completely dries up.

The current retail game is already starting to feel kind of empty. Classic is going to exacerbate that problem, which will make retail even less attractive, snowball effect, etc.

The writing's on the wall for WOW. Someone really needs to make a next generation MMO. You can't just keep pillaging this game forever. More time passed between the release of WOW and now than time between the release of Super Metroid and WOW. Think about that. Yikes.

I can't really argue with much there. BFA is a joke. We've had bad expansion before but the consensus on this xpac outside of raiding seems to be that it's the worst. No one I still talk to that ever played WoW has bothered this time round.

I think Classic is going to be good for 4 years at least it you imagine TBC releasing in 2, which seems like such a given at this point. The amount of money Activision has to spend compared to all the new $15 subs will be negligible. Even after the initial chunk of tourists leave, you're going to be left with a diehard community who wants to play through those expansions again. WotLK is where you'd lose a lot of people but a lot would still be interested. After that? I'd say it was worthless, but if Activision believe they can make some easy money by re-releasing servers for each expansion you bet they'll try it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You missed this part:

Seems the two normal realms have moved from medium to high now, but the point stands. PVP realms are so popular they had to add an extra one.
vP2KNdc.png

They now outnumber PVE realms and also have higher populations. Same in the USA. It was set in stone before really - as much as we all laugh at sites like Reddit, the data can be pretty solid sometimes. This is from before the servers were announced:
hSSTxcv.png

I can't really argue with much there. BFA is a joke. We've had bad expansion before but the consensus on this xpac outside of raiding seems to be that it's the worst. No one I still talk to that ever played WoW has bothered this time round.

I think Classic is going to be good for 4 years at least it you imagine TBC releasing in 2, which seems like such a given at this point. The amount of money Activision has to spend compared to all the new $15 subs will be negligible. Even after the initial chunk of tourists leave, you're going to be left with a diehard community who wants to play through those expansions again. WotLK is where you'd lose a lot of people but a lot would still be interested. After that? I'd say it was worthless, but if Activision believe they can make some easy money by re-releasing servers for each expansion you bet they'll try it.

A poll on a niche gaming subreddit is not sufficient evidence. The addition of another server is also not sufficient evidence. You made the claim that the majority of Classic players are rolling on PvP. Provide substantial evidence to back up those claims.

The general concensus of BFA from what I have seen isn't that it is the "worst" like you claim, but that it is Legion with very little new to keep players around. WoD still seems to be considered the worst expansion in the history of WoW.

AV

A poll on a niche gaming subreddit is not sufficient evidence. The addition of another server is also not sufficient evidence. You made the claim that the majority of Classic players are rolling on PvP. Provide substantial evidence to back up those claims.

Are you just outright ignoring half my posts? That's the server list at the top. The real one, that you can go and look at right now. Both RP realms are at medium popuation, so remove those from the equation. 3 PVP realms, two of which are full right now, vs. only 2 PVE realms, neither of which are full. I don't have access to the US server list right this second but it's the same deal over there, they had to add another PVP server because they were so popular. Do you not understand the list or something..?

Last edited:

AV

Guys, why fight about PVP / PVE servers?

PS
And there used to be RP-PVP servers too.

Not fighting, just dislike people not actually reading my posts and then having the stones to pretend I didn't give them what they were asking for.

Yeah, they've got one RP-PVP per region in Classic too. There had been a big push for it on the road to release, Blizzard's excuse was they didn't know if it would be worth having even one, for my money though they had always planned it and used it as free goodwill. I'd have rolled there myself but I've pre-joined a guild and we're either gonna be on Shazzrah, Golemagg or Gehennas EU.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Are you just outright ignoring half my posts? That's the server list at the top. The real one, that you can go and look at right now. Both RP realms are at medium popuation, so remove those from the equation. 3 PVP realms, two of which are full right now, vs. only 2 PVE realms, neither of which are full. I don't have access to the US server list right this second but it's the same deal over there, they had to add another PVP server because they were so popular. Do you not understand the list or something..?

I am not, but clearly you love using anecdotal evidence to back up your claims and not definitive data. How many people who are going to play Classic have created characters, reserved names, or are currently on the Beta? I would argue less than half, yet you are suggesting it is the vast majority - prove it.

Last edited:

AV

I am not, but clearly you love using anecdotal evidence to back up your claims and not definitive data. How many people who are going to play Classic have created characters, reserved names, or are currently on the Beta? I would argue less than half. You made the claim and you have yet to bring forth any substantial evidence to prove it. Do better.

You're either a troll or legitimately retarded, I can't quite tell, either way I'm done trying to point out the obvious. Have a nice day.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You're either a troll or legitimately retarded, I can't quite tell, either way I'm done trying to point out the obvious. Have a nice day.

Not a troll or "legitimately retarded". Though I do see you have relied on petty insults instead of providing evidence - clearly showing you never had any to begin with. Yes, have a nice day.

• LOL
Reactions: AV
Skeptical about how Blizzard are implementing Classic. I have very little faith in them. They've basically made megaservers, implemented "layering" for what they at least have communicated as being the just the starting zones, just for the start of the game, but which doesn't make sense, unless they expect the population of Classic to tank pretty hard after short time. Original WoW had about 3.5k on a server last time I checked. If they remove the layering, then they've functionally implemented a megaserver and I don't see that being good for the game. It'd be way too crowded. And "oh they can just split off or add servers later" people coming with terrible takes that make very little sense to me. It should community-wise be easier to merge servers than to add new ones or split them off (sounds pretty much impossible).

They should've launched with a ton of 3.5k or even push it up to 5k realms. None of the layering. Instead Blizzard has basically taken modern WoW technology and for some reason just made a few servers. Makes no sense to me.

AV

Skeptical about how Blizzard are implementing Classic. I have very little faith in them. They've basically made megaservers, implemented "layering" for what they at least have communicated as being the just the starting zones, just for the start of the game, but which doesn't make sense, unless they expect the population of Classic to tank pretty hard after short time. Original WoW had about 3.5k on a server last time I checked. If they remove the layering, then they've functionally implemented a megaserver and I don't see that being good for the game. It'd be way too crowded. And "oh they can just split off or add servers later" people coming with terrible takes that make very little sense to me. It should community-wise be easier to merge servers than to add new ones or split them off (sounds pretty much impossible).

They should've launched with a ton of 3.5k or even push it up to 5k realms. None of the layering. Instead Blizzard has basically taken modern WoW technology and for some reason just made a few servers. Makes no sense to me.

They do expect drop-off. They know that there's gonna be a whooole lot of people who try Classic and quit after an hour, day, week, month. And while 3.5k or just over was actually the concurrent cap (Nostalrius had 13k concurrent with dynamic respawns which is totally not Blizzlike but worked), there's still the danger that Blizz are overestimating how big the drop-off will be. They've also made it incredibly clear that they know layering has to go by phase 2, going back on that now would be PR suicide.

Merging was a thing that they originally did as a last resort solution to a problem, the whole point of having barely any servers but have them very full is to avoid having to resort to merges again. They sucked. What they did before and what makes more sense if you can plan ahead and pull it off, is to react when those few servers remain too full, and create new servers for people to flock to. People sat in queues to get in servers will go to a new one in droves. And that's kinda the reality of layering - either it'll work properly and enough people won't play Classic long term that they can safely turn it off, hopefully, or not enough people will quit and they'll have to launch new servers anyway. Last one ain't great but it's better than have 50 totally dead servers. And there's no chance in hell those current servers die off, there's for too few of 'em.

I think they've made the right choice. A hard one, because nothing's ideal, but better than simply repeating the mistakes they made in the past and working round those mistakes with the same old poor solutions, y'know.

dirthead

Banned

It makes perfect sense. They're doing it as cheaply as possible. It's why they migrated the old data to the current infrastructure. They don't want to maintain separate servers because it'd be more expensive. WOW Classic is no different technologically than some additional PTR realms. It's just another instance of the same shit.

And they're right to anticipate dropoff. Most players even after the game went completely casual (WOTLK+) didn't make it to max level. You honestly think that they're going to make it to 60?

They'll be merging realms within 6 months.

It makes perfect sense. They're doing it as cheaply as possible. It's why they migrated the old data to the current infrastructure. They don't want to maintain separate servers because it'd be more expensive. WOW Classic is no different technologically than some additional PTR realms. It's just another instance of the same shit.

And they're right to anticipate dropoff. Most players even after the game went completely casual (WOTLK+) didn't make it to max level. You honestly think that they're going to make it to 60?

They'll be merging realms within 6 months.

There's not enough realms to "merge". Functioning as an original release size, you only need around 3.5k for full realms. That's literally nothing spread over these few realms. But they're currently filling it up like they're megaservers, which really isn't made for the WoW Classic ecosystem.
It's not like they need to keep separate servers even, as I'm pretty sure they virtualize the servers. More realms shouldn't equal much different there. Even with a drop off, it'd have to be ridiculous to make the few amount of servers run without layering. So it feels like they're either expecting a drop-off that's crazily severe or they're just intending to never remove layering. Definitely not enough servers out there to even talk about "realm merging" unless you only allow megaservers. I don't see how virtual servers would add such a cost to this, it's not like you're using a infrastructure from back then. Then again, I'm no network engineer, so I'm not gonna pretend that I know exactly how it all works.

Also mentioning "WotLK+" makes little sense for me. 1-60 got more casual already in TBC, nerfed two times during TBC. TBC itself was a far more streamlined leveling experience than Classic. Leveling and quest design changed from TBC, then further in WotLK (biggest introduction is phasing, and later quest marking and LFD in 3.3). It really feels like a part of a later direction that really was more a part of Cataclysm, as most of them became really prevalent in Cata (like the ridiculous amount of phasing), which further drove things to be "more accessible". But, yeah, I'm pretty sure most of them will hold out. Really, if you've leveled in WoW the last year, then you know how utterly horrible leveling a character up currently is. If you can do it in retail, then Classic will be far more rewarding in comparison. Sure, time-wise it'll take longer, but to keep someone playing you only need to engage them and make things interesting, something which Classic does. The biggest problem for some would be the problems in terms of finding available quests, as I can't remember whether 1.12 had made leveling easier than it was before.

And that's kinda the reality of layering - either it'll work properly and enough people won't play Classic long term that they can safely turn it off, hopefully, or not enough people will quit and they'll have to launch new servers anyway. Last one ain't great but it's better than have 50 totally dead servers. And there's no chance in hell those current servers die off, there's for too few of 'em.

I think they've made the right choice. A hard one, because nothing's ideal, but better than simply repeating the mistakes they made in the past and working round those mistakes with the same old poor solutions, y'know.

As someone who has had realms merged, I'm frankly far more skeptical to adding new servers. Mostly because people will by that time be to invested in a server, to justify jumping to a new one. When AQ comes, it could at least seem to make more sense, since that was always a motivator. And you can't split-off servers either, meaning you'll be stuck with these megaservers and my experience is that they suck. For a good experience of vanilla you need enough people, but you also have to avoid overcrowding, because the solo experience is also essential in vanilla. Respawns aren't really the problem, the fact that there's less space for your character is what's the actual problem. The bigger they become, the less notable becomes the individual as well.
I don't really see it working out great, especially if we get a OSRS-like situation. They'll have hampered the growth and establishment of communities, as well as the vanilla experience, by doing this then.

AV

As someone who has had realms merged, I'm frankly far more skeptical to adding new servers. Mostly because people will by that time be to invested in a server, to justify jumping to a new one. When AQ comes, it could at least seem to make more sense, since that was always a motivator. And you can't split-off servers either, meaning you'll be stuck with these megaservers and my experience is that they suck. For a good experience of vanilla you need enough people, but you also have to avoid overcrowding, because the solo experience is also essential in vanilla. Respawns aren't really the problem, the fact that there's less space for your character is what's the actual problem. The bigger they become, the less notable becomes the individual as well.
I don't really see it working out great, especially if we get a OSRS-like situation. They'll have hampered the growth and establishment of communities, as well as the vanilla experience, by doing this then.

Plenty of people will move. Imagine being someone that's only got 1-2 hours to play a day max - now imagine spending 3/4 of that time in a queue. They'd snap up the opportunity to move in a heartbeat. Aaaallllll those casual players and guilds that hate queuing will go and balance the load.

Blizz just put this up a few hours ago: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/overcrowded-realm-update/255835
Same thing here for EU: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/overcrowded-realm-update/70777
  • Massive overcrowding on Herod/Shazzrah and queue lengths anticipated to be over 10k, urging people to move before they can open up yet other PVP realms (gee it's almost as if the majority of players prefer PVP and that's really obvious)
  • They say that they can fit "several times more" players on a realm now than in 2004-6 but won't raise that limit any higher. So, yeah, seems like they're shooting for about a 10-12k concurrent cap as was the case in Nostalrius
  • Still making it clear that they will be turning off layering before phase 2
  • A "medium" realm now still has more characters than a full realm in 2006
Yeah, again, all makes sense. They're cautiously adding servers as slowly as possible so as not to create too many that die off.

Last edited:

Helios

10-12k concurent is a bit too overcrowded for my tastes but nothing game-breaking. I prefer 6-7k but I imagine the population will fluctuate between updates.

Reactions: AV

Malakhov

Banned
Anyone else going to be on Hydraxian Waterlords?

I got my names and happy :)
Trangoul - Undead Warlock
Fenrir - Orc Warrior
Gandar - Human Paladin
Found a large qc guild, about 60 players so it's nice but it's on a pvp server. Not sure I feel like getting ganked when my playtime is limited to being one week out of two when I dont have the kids home.

Last edited:
You missed this part:

vP2KNdc.png

Ah. RP servers. Time for RP sex in deeprun tram again. *Unzips bag of tissues for uh...tears.*

AV

Makariel

Many reasons:
  • In vanilla, you could not solo many quests, and would have to find people to do them with, generally by using that zone's general chat. This is even true for many "1 player" quests in areas with big clusters of enemies. In the current game, basically all quests are not only achievable solo, but incredibly easy.
Solo was hard, unless you were a mage. Polymorph made soloing many quests pretty doable. Still, was much easier to finish quess if you get a group together, but outside of dungeons I rarely "needed" other players. That was quite different with other character classes I've tried, hence I stuck to the human mage as my main. I think from level 30-50 I've done most quests together with a guild mate who played a priest, for the two of us it was also always easy to find a tank and two more randoms to get to a dungeon. Oh yeah, guilds were kinda important back then as well...

Just randomly checked my characters and found two new German realms: Razorfen (PvE) and Venoxis (PvP).

Moved my Horde characters to a German realm, will play Alliance in English.

Vanilla opens in 131 hours.

LukeAJN

Man these next few days are gonna go by so slow. Got my human mage created on one server though and my undead mage on the other. Just wish I didn't forget to take holidays from work.

AV

Four new English realms opening launch day in the US: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-wow-classic-realms-opening-monday-august-26/263309
Five new English realms opening launch day in Europe, four of which are PVP: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-wow-classic-realms-opening-monday-26-august/73013

Again, clearly the majority of Classic players are not interested in world PVP, yeah?

This is kind of a sticky situation now. There's a very real possibility that all the original servers are going to be full of the hardcore folks that paid to sub early and reserve their names, and who are less likely to leave, and that the newer servers are going to be the ones that the tourists dive into, which won't have healthy populations eventually. Of course, the latter depends on how many people are wanting to playing Classic at length but simply haven't subscribed yet.

Last edited:

Meted

Can someone explain how a medium capacity server would expect queues? At least that's the impression i got from one of the previous statements

AV

Can someone explain how a medium capacity server would expect queues? At least that's the impression i got from one of the previous statements

Anything above medium should expect queues. The "medium, high, full" labels aren't fixed to specific numbers, and full doesn't actually mean full. For example, Herod is way more "full" than the other "full" realms.

They can only let a certain amount of people into the game world at once, even with layering on. There's still an upper cap because if they took it away the server would remain rammed, and they'd never be able to turn layering off which they've reiterated they known they have to do before phase 2. Queues are supposed to encourage people to move - It's why they've been telling people to get off the high-pop servers for a week now. They can't/won't increase the concurrent population cap, so people on the servers currently marked as "full" should expect massive queues at launch.

Meted

Anything above medium should expect queues. The "medium, high, full" labels aren't fixed to specific numbers, and full doesn't actually mean full. For example, Herod is way more "full" than the other "full" realms.

They can only let a certain amount of people into the game world at once, even with layering on. There's still an upper cap because if they took it away the server would remain rammed, and they'd never be able to turn layering off which they've reiterated they known they have to do before phase 2. Queues are supposed to encourage people to move - It's why they've been telling people to get off the high-pop servers for a week now. They can't/won't increase the concurrent population cap, so people on the servers currently marked as "full" should expect massive queues at launch.
i guess the wording is just wrong, a full server should mean queues, anything less shouldn't

Hey, guys I know this is an odd question but can anybody put the Battle.net.setup.exe on an external downloading site separate from Blizzard's own website. The pass couple of months I built a new computer and decided since I get 27,28,29 off of work I might as well try classic. On my new computer, I no longer have a battle.net launcher, but an oddity with my internet (And probably blizzard fault as well as there a whole list of complaints about this) is it cancels the download from their own website at the last 1 mb. I solved it last time when I started playing BFA was finding a file-sharing site with the exe on it (Risky I know but it was legit that time) but for the life of me, I can't find it anymore. You could probably put it as an open download file on google drive of something as it's only a few MBs in size.

Edit: Nevermind, I found a download link on another site that worked.

Last edited:

Helios

Classic WoW subreddit (I know, I know, I literally only use that one and can stop soon)
Unfortunately the subreddit is now /r/wow 2.0. Barely any discussion, mostly just spamming memes. It used to be better when it had less people, which is something I've seen with most subreddit that have the same growth.

TTOOLL

I really wanted to play it but there is no way in hell I'm paying monthly for one game. You can't justify it in 2019.

AV

Unfortunately the subreddit is now /r/wow 2.0. Barely any discussion, mostly just spamming memes. It used to be better when it had less people, which is something I've seen with most subreddit that have the same growth.

Yeah, it's Reddit, it's a breeding ground for some of the dumbest people on the internet. I've got no use for it anymore since the game's actually nearly out.

I really wanted to play it but there is no way in hell I'm paying monthly for one game. You can't justify it in 2019.

Why can't you..? If you're getting hours upon hours of entertainment out of it, is 15 bucks a month even remotely a big deal? It's about the cost of one decent lunch.

Poordevil

Subscriptions are a good thing, better than the "free to play" model. You know why? It keeps the riff raff out of the game. The only people online will be those who love the game, are serious about the community and want to keep WoW standards out of the sewer. Free to play would ruin WoW Classic. Blizzard has to make the game pay its way some how. If you were not paying a subscription, the game would be stuffed with micro transactions, pay to win items and the like.

Top Bottom