• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOLCEN - Lords of Mayhem |OT| Diablo Who

Escara

Neo Member
Diablo 4 was dead the day they announced Diablo 3.
I mean I like to hate on Blizzard as much as anyone else but Diablo 4 is probably going to turn out alright. They have an almost infinite budget, endless time and all they really need to do is copy the good aspects from indie ARPGs like PoE and Wolcen.
Most of their work is already done for them. All they need to do is not fuck up.

I mean I like to hate on Blizzard as much as anyone else but Diablo 4 is probably going to turn out alright. They have an almost infinite budget, endless time and all they really need to do is copy the good aspects from indie ARPGs like PoE and Wolcen.
Most of their work is already done for them. All they need to do is not fuck up.

This is modern Blizzard we're talking about. Asking them to not fuck up is a tall order for them these days.

Tomeru

Yo this game is pretty dope.

I played it when it was in ea, and didn't like it one bit. It was pretty bad. I tried it again today and it's a different game. A buddy of mine said it has similarities to PoE with combos and such, though at this point I couldn't tell. Will continue playing.

Kenpachii

Played it for a bit on normal mode yesterday.

The game looks visually amazing, however even a 9900k shits the brick at times where fps drops from 170 all the way down to 70. There is a real big hit on performance at times and they need to balance that out.

Not a big fan of the dual resource system i just want to cast mage skills really. Also not sure about the amount of mage skills atm. feels incredible tiny pretty sure u can count them on two hands.

Some kills are far more stronger then other skills which is really noticable and i can't get past the first act boss as its 3rd phase just one shots me all day long.

Anyway some screenshots.

CDuZULU.png

SUO29jN.png

1LerRtp.png

0L1oPMg.png

VTaDI08.png

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Some kills are far more stronger then other skills which is really noticable and i can't get past the first act boss as its 3rd phase just one shots me all day long.

Yeah, the first episode boss was terrible.

The second episode boss was worst. So much worst.

I don't really have a problem with the difficulty of said bosses, it's more that they are an order of magnitude harder than anything before or after them. The difficulty curve isn't a curve. It's a cliff. Builds that completely shred everything up to the boss just can't handle him.

Unless you're a tank. Melee tanks are currently facerolling everything.

GHG

Servers are back online.

giphy.gif

Gonna wait a couple of days before I start an online character though.

Just hit level 30 with my offline character.

This fucking game.

GHG

This is probably less complex than even Grim Dawn I'd say but the combat feedback and build diversity/freedom are so fucking good and those are the things that make it so addictive.

I can see how you can screw yourself and make the game difficult if you don't have a clear idea in terms of where you are going with your build though. Every skill you unlock on the passive tree needs to be for a reason, every piece of gear needs to have stats that complement your plan and every modifier you select for your skills need to help bring it all together. But when you see it come together and you are literally making mincemeat of everything that comes your way, my god is it satisfying.

Luckily if you screw yourself you can infinitely wipe and redo all of your skill points and the abilities in the passive tree. You can experiment at will because there are no restrictions in that sense.

GHG

Even with all the issues, they've surpassed Path of Exile's all time peak which is no meant feat considering that game is F2P.

They now need to get the servers stable and then build on this. No lootbox crap, no microtransaction crap, just solid content additions going forwards and the game will continue to fly.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Finished act 1.
F me sideways -the story is pretty darn entertaining and I even get a good laugh out of it.

As for the act 1 boss:

Definitely need to manage your rolls if you're playing melee. Had to redo the boss a good 5-6 times before I got the pattern down. The last phase is especially tough since he will chase you down. Ended up doing a lot of skill reshuffling and I had a beast 2 handed weapon that made him go down fast.

Also loved the part in act 2:

When the Brotherhood fortress thing is being invaded by the cult and you have to fight them off. It was pretty intense turning into that angelic thing (that's the one I picked at least).

Also reinstalled Grim Dawn to play with the wife. Scratching that APRG itch on multiple fronts.

Rickyiez

I mean I like to hate on Blizzard as much as anyone else but Warcraft 3 Reforge is probably going to turn out alright. They have an almost infinite budget, endless time and all they really need to do is copy the good aspects from the original War3

Kobi

I'm the same with that first boss. i'm pretty much a mage and that 3rd phase just ruins me. Genuinely not sure i can even get past with my skills haha

Lanrutcon

I'm the same with that first boss. i'm pretty much a mage and that 3rd phase just ruins me. Genuinely not sure i can even get past with my skills haha

Farm some gold, ditch all your gear, equip the highest level tank gear you can (quit to menu to restock the shop). Facetank what you can, save your dodge roll for the big hits.

RedVIper

Banned
Even with all the issues, they've surpassed Path of Exile's all time peak which is no meant feat considering that game is F2P.

They now need to get the servers stable and then build on this. No lootbox crap, no microtransaction crap, just solid content additions going forwards and the game will continue to fly.

How many people are even playing Path of Exile trough steam? I know I don't, I'm pretty sure some countries cant. So yeah this game does not have more players than path of exile. I think path of exile surpassed 200k in the west alone.

For the people having trouble with the bosses, there's something wrong with your builds, I've been cruising trough the entire game.

That said the game has serious control issues, the roll can be unresponsive, sometimes I just can't seem to click on an enemy when I want to attack, skills that clearly hit just miss. Last Epoch controls way better than this.

The game isn't as deep as path of exile, but it still has an interesting leveling system. There needs to be more skills.

Last edited:

GHG

Farm some gold, ditch all your gear, equip the highest level tank gear you can (quit to menu to restock the shop). Facetank what you can, save your dodge roll for the big hits.

Some counter advice to this, think properly about what skills you are using and how your passives and gear can help you get the most out of them. An example of when it comes together:

I'm of the opinion that if you're having trouble with the bosses then your build is unbalanced. See the bosses as a build balance test,and if you are having trouble, have a rethink about how to get the most out of what you want to do.

Last edited:

GHG

How many people are even playing Path of Exile trough steam? I know I don't, I'm pretty sure some countries cant. So yeah this game does not have more players than path of exile. I think path of exile surpassed 200k in the west alone.

For the people having trouble with the bosses, there's something wrong with your builds, I've been cruising trough the entire game.

That said the game has serious control issues, the roll can be unresponsive, sometimes I just can't seem to click on an enemy when I want to attack, skills that clearly hit just miss. Last Epoch controls way better than this.

The game isn't as deep as path of exile, but it still has an interesting leveling system. There needs to be more skills.

To be honest I didn't even know you could play PoE outside of steam on the PC. If that's the case then yeh, their numbers will be higher considering how close the peak concurrent numbers are between the two.

On the controls, there seems to be some sort of input queue in this game. If you are spamming attacks/skills and then suddenly need to roll you will often need to wait until the input you pressed prior to hitting roll completes.

Agreed on more skills as well, really hope that's the first thing they add when they start expanding the game. I think there were a few skills that were in the betas and aplhas that didn't make it through to the full game so I'm sure they have a few in their back pocket that they can refine and balance.

Lanrutcon

I'm of the opinion that if you're having trouble with the bosses then your build is unbalanced. See the bosses as a build balance test,and if you are having trouble, have a rethink about how to get the most out of what you want to do.

Builds that have no issue getting to the boss and then get one shotted don't indicate a problem with the build. Plus, the forums are rife with the same complaint, so maybe the boss shouldn't be balanced for so that the majority of builds just die? This is the first boss on normal. It's a bit early to suddenly get hardcore.

On the controls, there seems to be some sort of input queue in this game. If you are spamming attacks/skills and then suddenly need to roll you will often need to wait until the input you pressed prior to hitting roll completes.

Its an animation priority issue. "White" attacks can't be interrupted on every frame. It's particularly noticeable when you've got lengthy attack animations, like with dual pistols. I don't think you should be able to immediately interrupt any animation to roll...but normal attacks at least should be fully interruptable.

Liljagare

Builds that have no issue getting to the boss and then get one shotted don't indicate a problem with the build. Plus, the forums are rife with the same complaint, so maybe the boss shouldn't be balanced for so that the majority of builds just die? This is the first boss on normal. It's a bit early to suddenly get hardcore.

Is it hardcore though? I think the biggest issue is people trying to keep distance to the boss, you just hug him and dodge roll, esp the AOE.

Fun game, never got into PoE, Diablo 3 wasn't fun, this I will keep at for a while.

Lanrutcon

Is it hardcore though? I think the biggest issue is people trying to keep distance to the boss, you just hug him and dodge roll, esp the AOE.

Fun game, never got into PoE, Diablo 3 wasn't fun, this I will keep at for a while.

It's definitely hardcore compared to everything that comes before it. Ramping things up is great (end of the episode boss battle), but difficulty is meant to be a curve...not the cliff climbing scene from Mission Impossible.

Escara

Neo Member
Man I was in the mood to get into an ARPG.. I have never played PoE and I had started that over the weekend but this looks fantastic.. would anyone recommend putting PoE down and picking this up?
In a way this game is a nice middle ground between PoE and Diablo 3. Has a decent amount of depth but at the same time you won't ever brick your build and can easily reset your passive tree. The combat is great and much more involved and action focused then PoE.

I’ve been hooked on Grim Dawn the last few few days (28 hours put in so far and loving it for the most part even though my build seems to be shit no matter what I try)

So other than trying this game offline for 20 minutes to test performance and whatnot I haven’t played it yet but been following this thread and the Steam forums closely. Trying to hold out with GD until a patch or two hit for Wolcen

Question though:

From way I understand, but correct me if I’m wrong, this game doesn’t have paragon leveling and you can change to any class you want at any given time, so as far as “having legs” isn’t that kind of an issue? Is I just gear farming after lvl 90? I know GD doesn’t have paragon leveling but so many possible class combos for alt characters adds hundreds more hours of playability. If one character can be any class, whenever, doesn’t Wolcen have a pretty low “replayability ceiling” compared to other ARPGs, assuming I have the correct assumption of how the game works?

Just an honest question, forgive my ignorance if I’m way off

thanks for any input

also sorry for typos

Last edited:

Escara

Neo Member
Question though:

From way I understand, but correct me if I’m wrong, this game doesn’t have paragon leveling and you can change to any class you want at any given time, so as far as “having legs” isn’t that kind of an issue? Is I just gear farming after lvl 90? I know GD doesn’t have paragon leveling but so many possible class combos for alt characters adds hundreds more hours of playability. If one character can be any class, whenever, doesn’t Wolcen have a pretty low “replayability ceiling” compared to other ARPGs, assuming I have the correct assumption of how the game works?

Just an honest question, forgive my ignorance if I’m way off

thanks for any input

also sorry for typos

I'll start with the paragon leveling question first. In D3 the endgame unlocked at lvl 70 and pretty much all you did is farm for better gear and more paragon points. In Wolcen the end game starts around lvl 40 and you'll spend the next 50 levels finding new gear, getting more skill points to further improve your build and leveling your skills to unlock even better runes. All this while you'll also be doing the City Building minigame which lets you unlock more benefits for your character.

As for your second question there's a decent amount of build variety in Wolcen. Its not so much that one character can be any class but more like you can easily reset all your skill points and modify your build as long as you have a decent amount of gold. You still need to specialize to be effective not to mention that you'll completely need to change your gear if you switch to a different build.

So I'd say it has a pretty good amount of replayability but maybe slightly less then Grim Dawn in its current form with the 2 DLCs.

YodaBB

If anyone is having problems with end of Act 1 boss, you should just farm the previous levels a bit. Mobs appear to be fixed level in this game including the bosses. I tried him at level 17 and got one shotted, went away to level up to 21 (took about 45mins), then found him much easier. Best to farm levels just before boss to maximise xp gains.

Liljagare

It's definitely hardcore compared to everything that comes before it. Ramping things up is great (end of the episode boss battle), but difficulty is meant to be a curve...not the cliff climbing scene from Mission Impossible.

It seriously isn't, you just have to take it slower.

It's the first fight you just have to slow down, and toss spells/use skills in 1-2 phase, and the first time you have to use dodge, toss vigor mortis or turrets in phase 3, and dodge. I did it in my first try, without reading up about it, wifey, who is not a regular ARPG player at all, did it in 2 tries.

Vigor mortis, turret, I guess that is was just a lucky skillset maybe.

Nobody I play with had issues with this boss.. so, I donno wth is going on. :p

It was a fun fight!

I actually died more to those mini mecha bosses prior to the chapter boss.. :eek: For me it looked like it just was a fight that you were meant to spend more time on. I guess it can be the skills everyone has, but I cant beleive we all decided on the same builds, by accident.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom