• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the next generation of consoles I'm hoping for a reset to simple graphics (for the kids)

onQ123

The older generations had the chance to witness games going from simple blocks moving around on screen up to what we have now.
I think next generation would actually be a good time for a reset as we move into full Ray-Tracing & Volume Rendering . The last real reset that we had was going from 2D to 3D (We almost lost Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter in that translation but they bounced back eventually)
L4fbEEA.jpg

Q4N45qS.png

Let the kids suffer the growing pains at a high level so they can appreciate when the new games & consoles comes out & they can see a big difference.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The older generations had the chance to witness games going from simple blocks moving around on screen up to what we have now.
I think next generation would actually be a good time for a reset as we move into full Ray-Tracing & Volume Rendering . The last real reset that we had was going from 2D to 3D (We almost lost Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter in that translation but they bounced back eventually)
L4fbEEA.jpg

Q4N45qS.png

Let the kids suffer the growing pains at a high level so they can appreciate when the new games & consoles comes out & they can see a big difference.
blacksheep-chrisfarley.gif

OP if you mean indie devs emulating PS1/Saturn/N64 games then we already are there. One of the games actually blew up in popularity and it’s called Lethal Company.

Check out Steam for more.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Not sure I understand this topic

But for what it's worth, kids are playing more and more games with old-school, simplified graphics.

The most popular VR game by a mile is Gorilla Tag, which looks like it was rendered in 1993. And Minecraft is still evergreen. And that's just the tip of an iceberg of pixellated games that are hugely popular with kids now.

I do think there's merit to the recognition that graphics might no longer be a driving factor for gaming the way it once was.

IAmRei

Let the future be the future, as long as not bad. Give them Mini Nes or Mini Sega, or tablet loaded with emulators. I live in asia, and video games helps me with learning english and basic math because i played RPG back then. Also older games teach a lot about struggle and working hard. Video games generally makes kid better, as long as the rules connected well.

onQ123

OP if you mean indie devs emulating PS1/Saturn/N64 games then we already are there. One of the games actually blew up in popularity and it’s called Lethal Company.

Check out Steam for more.
No I mean instead of bolting on Ray-Tracing as a new layer of paint to the graphics that we have now devs actually make the games around Ray-Tracing & start off with simpler games then work their way up to the complex worlds as the technology gets better.

Basically go through a Pixar & DreamWorks stage instead of everything trying to look realistic from the start.

Rheon

Ok I'll bite.

The reason why graphics looked the way they did back then was because of the limitation of technology, not an artistic choice.

What you're saying makes zero sense.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just wait for the next reset when we move from 3D to 4D.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That's funny, of course. I always roll my eyes when people here complain about lack of ray tracing, 60FPS or even frame drops like in Dragons Dogma 2. Had I seen Dragon's Dogma 2 back in 2003, I would have shat my pants.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Why do we need a new console generation in order to have simple graphics? Do you want PS6 to have PS2 hardware inside or something?

onQ123

Ok I'll bite.

The reason why graphics looked the way they did back then was because of the limitation of technology, not an artistic choice.

What you're saying makes zero sense.
The technology still has limitations & if you think I'm asking for bad graphics you're completely wrong lol.

We will have Ray-Tracing to make the games look good

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
L4fbEEA.jpg

Q4N45qS.png

tired-confused.gif

Sethbacca

I dunno about simple, but I think a lot of studios could take some inspiration from Nintendo about how important artistic direction is. Some of what they've been able to do with this old ass Switch hardware has been impressive (but just imagine what it could have been with a bit more power).

MarkMe2525

While this isn't exactly what OP is talking about, I believe it is in the same spirit. Some of the most enjoyable VR titles were developed with this philosophy. The high frame rate requirement and generally lower budgets, means devs have to be deliberate with how they construct and present their worlds. Of course, there are exceptions.

L4fbEEA.jpg

Q4N45qS.png

Buy a switch

onQ123

While this isn't exactly what OP is talking about, I believe it is in the same spirit. Some of the most enjoyable VR titles were developed with this philosophy. The high frame rate requirement and generally lower budgets, means devs have to be deliberate with how they construct and present their worlds. Of course, there are exceptions.
VR actually did create another reset but it's kinda split off from the main consoles .
People missed OP's point so hard (much to his own fault).

They always do this than when I'm proven right they act it never happened lol .

Last edited:

Three

I understand what you're saying OnQ but they won't go through those growing pains. There isn't going to be bad 3D raytraced looking games vs good 3D looking games like there was bad looking 3D games compared to good 2D.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No-one would accept this - the 2D to 3D switch was a fundamental change - going from raster to full path traced would still be just a different way of rendering the same thing.

Three

VR games are basically at that stage. We are barely at PS2 graphics there.
I agree with your point. Initially it looked like PS2 but GT7 and a lot of high end PC VR don't look like PS2 graphics at all nowadays. Those running early Quest or Gear VR on a mobile SoC arguably yeah.

I'd say a reset kind of happened more with the proliferation of mobile. There a lot of people began on snake and match 3 games again with gameboy or GBA graphics. They've seen an improvement up to RE Village running on a phone now. Mobile is seeing this rapid improvement in graphics that consoles did years ago. In terms of gameplay I think they will still deviate though.

Top Bottom