• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIRED has given Hogwarts Legacy a 1/10 review score

Teenage years is when puberty occurs, yes - but most teens are often confused on their sexuality for years and dont' fully understand themselves. They are not ready for making choices like these, period.

So then you think it is smart to give them the choice to transition at 16? With no diagonsis? After only 3 months of believing they are trans?

Let's go through these "reasons" you think she is transphobic:

No, she thinks that there are bad actors who would take advantage of it and harm women. Not the same thing.

She never said this unless I missed something. Provide evidence.

Then provide those statistics. We already have numerous individuals in jail for doing the very thing she fears. Men dressing up as women, pretending they are trans, to be predators and watch women undress and bother them in bathrooms.

It literally does NOT facilitate that, she has never stated or tried to suggest that she wants trans people out of "any space in general according to their identity", she simply wants specific biological female-only safe spaces. She never once argued for removal of trans + female safe places, just that there *should* be biological female only ones as well.

This is why people can't take you seriously when you literally make up lies, Azafuse.
The bill isn't about the act of transitioning itself, it's about them being aknowledged as women in the first place. Like with safe sex it should be taught that transitioning is a life-changing thing that can't be reversed.

Here's the Statistics

One thing is to literaly say something and the other is to imply it, she doesn't want trans people allowed in women's places because a tiny group of bad people could abuse it even though it also helps people who want to genuinly belong, even the idea of "a few biological" only safespaces would still be discrimination because that would imply trans women aren't real women because they were biologically male despite biology not even being as black and white as "You were born this way, you stay this way."

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The bill isn't about the act of transitioning itself, it's about them being aknowledged as women in the first place.
No. It isn't. What are you even talking about?

Like with safe sex it should be taught that transitioning is a life-changing thing that can't be reversed.
Or children should not be allowed to transition. Period. They can wait until they are grown ass adults to do that. Like they already do.

Do you understand what statistics mean? I don't think you do.

One thing is to literaly say something and the other is to imply it, she doesn't want trans people allowed in women's places because a tiny group of bad people could abuse it even though it also helps people who want to genuinly belong, even the idea of "a few biological" only safespaces would still be discrimination because that would imply trans women aren't real women because they were biologically male despite biology not even being as black and white as "You were born this way, you stay this way."
So you are moving goalposts, putting words in her mouth, just so you can claim that someone is an awful person. The fact that you are trying *so* hard to push that children should have sex changes, purposefully pushing idiotic trash like that "statistics" page, and constantly pushing lies to slander someone - maybe look in the mirror. You will find the true evil is closer than you think.

16 years old is the age of making mistakes. And you're right, teenagers shouldn't be getting pregnant in the modern world, they should be given more time to live life free of crippling long-term consequences that they don't yet fully understand, while their hormones are making them do impulsive and crazy things.
Just like how people teach the importance of condoms before sex it should be taught that transitioning is a difficult life-changing process that can't be reversed easily. Weither they do is up to them.

Astral Dog

Just like how people teach the importance of condoms before sex it should be taught that transitioning is a difficult life-changing process that can't be reversed easily. Weither they do is up to them.
Afaik, unfortunately many of the activist teachers aren't (and don't seem interested in) teaching younger kids that lesson, "its all perfectly normal, everyone does it, read this book about trans kids, come for your preferred hormone/ puberty blocker treatment any time we won't tell your parents" etc. etc. they themselves don't see the problem

Last edited:

badblue

Most people don't know if they want to have biological kids at 18 years old or even at 20 years old.
The difference between these kids and most other people is that most other people haven't undergone hormone replacement therapy and hormone blockers that may permanently make them infertile.

UCSF Transgender Care

Fertility preservation for children and adolescents​

It is recommended that transgender children and adolescents, and their guardians, also be informed and counseled regarding options for fertility preservation prior to the initiation of pubertal suppression and treatment with gender affirming hormones. In children who have initiated natal puberty, fertility preservation options include sperm, oocyte, and embryo cryopreservation. Currently it is not possible for children who have not undergone natal puberty (and who may have used gender affirming hormones) to preserve gametes.

Prolonged pubertal suppression using gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) analogs is usually reversible and should not impair resumption of puberty upon cessation, though most children who undergo pubertal suppression go on to begin gender affirming hormone therapy without undergoing natal puberty.

Further discussion of pubertal suppression, and the decision to undergo gonadectomy prior to the legal age of majority, is included in the guidelines for transgender children and adolescents.

References​

1. Ethics Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Access to fertility services by transgender persons: an Ethics Committee opinion. Fertil Steril. 2015 Nov;104(5):1111-5.
  2. Hembree WC, Cohen-Kettenis P, Delemarre-van de Waal HA, Gooren LJ, Meyer WJ 3rd, Spack NP, et al. Endocrine treatment of transsexual persons: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Sep;94(9):3132-54.
  3. World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)(link is external) Standards of care for the health of transsexual, transgender, and gender nonconforming people, 7th Version. World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH). WPATH; 2012 [cited 2016 Mar 10]
  4. T'Sjoen G, Van Caenegem E, Wierckx K. Transgenderism and reproduction. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2013 Dec;20(6):575-9.
  5. Light AD, Obedin-Maliver J, Sevelius JM, Kerns JL. Transgender men who experienced pregnancy after female-to-male gender transitioning. Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Dec;124(6):1120-7.
  6. Donnez J, Silber S, Andersen CY, Demeestere I, Piver P, Meirow D, et al. Children born after autotransplantation of cryopreserved ovarian tissue. a review of 13 live births. Ann Med. 2011;43(6):437-50.
  7. Dittrich R, Hackl J, Lotz L, Hoffmann I, Beckmann MW. Pregnancies and live births after 20 transplantations of cryopreserved ovarian tissue in a single center. Fertil Steril. 2015 Feb;103(2):462-8.

No. It isn't. What are you even talking about?

Or children should not be allowed to transition. Period. They can wait until they are grown ass adults to do that. Like they already do.

Do you understand what statistics mean? I don't think you do.

So you are moving goalposts, putting words in her mouth, just so you can claim that someone is an awful person. The fact that you are trying *so* hard to push that children should have sex changes, purposefully pushing idiotic trash like that "statistics" page, and constantly pushing lies to slander someone - maybe look in the mirror. You will find the true evil is closer than you think.
I'll repeat it again teens aren't kids anymore, the bill wasnt exclusively about jail, you seemingly don't know what subtext is and take everything too literally (Again, Rowling didn't literally say she was against trans women being able to exist in female spaces, but she's still unknowingly wants to enable discrimination against them based on pure ignorance) and apparently research conducted by the UK government itself isn't a good source.

There's no true evil, I have sympathy towards Rowling despite everything because she tries to be respectful and I get where she's coming from, it's just that allienating trans people isn't a solution to the problem, the real problem is people like you being so reactionary and ironically getting offended over someone critizing your favorite children's book author for things that are google searches away, you can read her essay, you can read her tweets and see her support people that are actually more transphobic than her while cutting ties to people who actually support trans rights like stephen king, one can read good articles that actually debate her arguments or bring nuance to the conversation instead of just disguising a rant as a game review or.. you can buy and enjoy Hogwarts Legacy regardless because noone can stop you from doing so, even if you give money to a transphobe that won't make you one, but don't try to act like Rowling is some sort of saint that cannot be critiziced either or pretend a kids game selling millions will change anything, I never cared about Potter and I was never intending to buy the game anyways I just want to bring something to the conversation without being toxic.

Last edited:

DareDaniel

Banned
Lol, that is such vague statement...
Some clinics in europe stopped giving puberty blockers to kids because there isn't enough research. This data doesn't exist because they are still experimenting, otherwise you wouldn't get the travistock scandal.
Everyone knows how condoms works and what might happen if you don't use it, it's basic biology when it comes to pregnancy and stds. Even after decades of research some stds don't have a cure yet.
And you know what's not reversible at all? Chopping off your dick.

to people who actually support trans rights like stephen king,
Famous person agrees with corporations, Hollywood and the mainstream media. Wow. His comments are meaningless unless he had something to say about this subject before it was the new cool thing.

I just want to bring something to the conversation without being toxic.

You brought nothing new to the conversation.

Last edited:
I'll repeat it again teens aren't kids anymore, the bill wasnt exclusively about jail, you seemingly don't know what subtext is and take everything too literally (Again, Rowling didn't literally say she was against trans women being able to exist in female spaces, but she's still unknowingly wants to enable discrimination against them based on pure ignorance) and apparently research conducted by the UK government itself isn't a good source.

There's no true evil, I have sympathy towards Rowling despite everything because she tries to be respectful and I get where she's coming from, it's just that allienating trans people isn't a solution to the problem, the real problem is people like you being so reactionary and ironically getting offended over someone critizing your favorite children's book author for things that are google searches away, you can read her essay, you can read her tweets and see her support people that are actually more transphobic than her while cutting ties to people who actually support trans rights like stephen king, one can read good articles that actually debate her arguments or bring nuance to the conversation instead of just disguising a rant as a game review or.. you can buy and enjoy Hogwarts Legacy regardless because noone can stop you from doing so, even if you give money to a transphobe that won't make you one, but don't try to act like Rowling is some sort of saint that cannot be critiziced either or pretend a kids game selling millions will change anything, I never cared about Potter and I was never intending to buy the game anyways I just want to bring something to the conversation without being toxic.

Rowling is not a saint, she is just a woman with a long history of feminist activism. She voices opinions on trans people when, and only when, intersectional conflicts arise between the rights demanded by trans women and the rights already enjoyed by AFAB women.

At the heart of the dispute is that hoary old chestnut of a slogan being "trans women are women".
If you truly believe that trans women are women indivisible from AFAB women, there can be no compromise on debates like access to women's sports, refuges and prisons. Because any compromise requires that AFAB women and trans women are treated differently and that cannot stand when you believe that it is impossible to divide the two.

And this leads to complaints about trans women being banned from women's sport and prisons and such like and that this is transphobic.

As an additional layer of dispute, activists also believe that trans women should be able to self-identify as such unhindered by bureaucracy.

So anyone can be a women at anytime and entitled to access all spaces reserved for women.

Most people who are not trans-activists don't agree with most of the above for fairly obvious, practical reasons.

And this is essentially where Rowling is. And it is for that reason that she is called transphobic by people such as you.

I think most reasonable people want to be respectful to trans people and try and accommodate them and make them feel welcome in whatever way the can, right up to the point where doing that begins to look dangerous or silly. And at that point people start to look for compromises and there is much, much debate in courts and in online discussion and in the media about what those compromises should look like but really it's all a question of degree. The problem is, none of those compromises will satisfy those who believe that trans women are women because they all require some element of differing treatment.

I may not agree with everything Rowling says and I certainly have questions about some of the people she is happy to be associated with but I still see someone who trying to navigate this grey area of compromise. She doesn't want to exterminate trans people. She just wants to retain the rights women of her generation fought hard for, including the right to safe spaces away from male bodied people.

But because she is high profile and because she doesn't back down and say 'trans women are women' like other people do who don't really get what they are saying or who just don't care as long as they get a easy life, activists hate her and have a pathological need to have her brought low so that no-one else ever dares question them. And people just go along with it because it seems right-on.

For the record, I'm happy to say that trans women are women but they are not the same as afab women. And it's kinda ridiculous that anyone could think differently

samenamenick

Neo Member
If transwomen want to be treated like real women then they need to fully commit to being a woman and have the irreversible surgery.
In the end, it all comes down to visuals. If you pass as a woman to others, you'll be treated as such. If you don't, there will be challenges in your day to day regardless of what 'rights' you are given. Sucks for the obvs manly looking ones who truly have dysphoria, I guess.

Kacho

In the end, it all comes down to visuals. If you pass as a woman to others, you'll be treated as such. If you don't, there will be challenges in your day to day regardless of what 'rights' you are given. Sucks for the obvs manly looking ones who truly have dysphoria, I guess.
Yep. If you don't pass the eye test then you're going to get a lot of weird looks and probably treated like a weirdo. It's human nature to reject it.

GymWolf

It seems like the writer and their partner may have watched a bit too much Space Jam and started a new fetish even naming their pet rabbit after that sexual cartoon.

I feel concerned for the rabbit, is it too late to call PETA?
This is probably how lola react when they return at home from work

bunny-scared.gif

Astral Dog

I have mad respect for Stephen King as a storyteller, but as a politician he is MCDonald's quality at best and i stay away from places that give diarrhea 😵

Last edited:
I have mad respect for Stephen King as a storyteller, but as a politician he is MCDonald's quality at best and i run away from places that give diarrhea 😵

Yeah his books are killer, I will never stop reading them, but age + unfathomable riches + discovering the internet in your 70s can wreck havoc on a man’s mind.

Also Trump breaking him is kind of understandable when you realise that half the bad guys in his books are basically Trump. He must have feared his imagination was manifesting stuff irl lol.

Moneal

Do you have a source for this statement? Because for all we know sexual orientation is inborn, you don't decide to be "gay".
Just because orientation may be inborn doesn't mean a teen understands their orientation and isn't confused during that time. It would mostly be due to peer/societal expectations.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The real Stephen King died years ago. That thing on Twitter is a bot hooked up directly to Biden’s teleprompter.
Yeah I took a quick look at his twitter account, what a fucking npc lol.
I notice a great pattern about those celeb types who go hard in the paint with the narrative/agenda. They always have very questionable pasts that the cancel culture would cancel them over, but if they stay hard in that paint doing a complete 180 (in public image) of what they once were, constantly pushing the message, they are able to scoot on by with zero bits of their past brought up, get projects greenlit, etc.. Oh, and flight logs.

Must be exhausting, and they better hope they don't slip.

Last edited:
I notice a great pattern about those celeb types who go hard in the paint with the narrative/agenda. They always have very questionable pasts that the cancel culture would cancel them over, but if they stay hard in that paint doing a complete 180 (in public image) of what they once were, constantly pushing the message, they are able to scoot on by with zero bits of their past brought up, get projects greenlit, etc.. Oh, and flight logs.

Must be exhausting, and they better hope they don't slip.
It's entirely possible that people change, I don't know King myself but even if he pretends to support trans rights to not get cancelled, I still don't think Rowling acted on good faith. for example it's obvious Disney doesn't give a damn about minorities but it's questionable when people critizice them JUST for the fact there's minorities in their products and not because it's hipocriytical of them to act like they love minorities when they only care about profits or excuse their racism on the multimillionaire's hypocrisy.
Rowling is not a saint, she is just a woman with a long history of feminist activism. She voices opinions on trans people when, and only when, intersectional conflicts arise between the rights demanded by trans women and the rights already enjoyed by AFAB women.
I know, it's just that Daniel here seemingly treats her as such.
At the heart of the dispute is that hoary old chestnut of a slogan being "trans women are women".
If you truly believe that trans women are women indivisible from AFAB women, there can be no compromise on debates like access to women's sports, refuges and prisons. Because any compromise requires that AFAB women and trans women are treated differently and that cannot stand when you believe that it is impossible to divide the two.

And this leads to complaints about trans women being banned from women's sport and prisons and such like and that this is transphobic.

As an additional layer of dispute, activists also believe that trans women should be able to self-identify as such unhindered by bureaucracy.

So anyone can be a women at anytime and entitled to access all spaces reserved for women.

Most people who are not trans-activists don't agree with most of the above for fairly obvious, practical reasons.

And this is essentially where Rowling is. And it is for that reason that she is called transphobic by people such as you.

I think most reasonable people want to be respectful to trans people and try and accommodate them and make them feel welcome in whatever way the can, right up to the point where doing that begins to look dangerous or silly. And at that point people start to look for compromises and there is much, much debate in courts and in online discussion and in the media about what those compromises should look like but really it's all a question of degree. The problem is, none of those compromises will satisfy those who believe that trans women are women because they all require some element of differing treatment.

I may not agree with everything Rowling says and I certainly have questions about some of the people she is happy to be associated with but I still see someone who trying to navigate this grey area of compromise. She doesn't want to exterminate trans people. She just wants to retain the rights women of her generation fought hard for, including the right to safe spaces away from male bodied people.

But because she is high profile and because she doesn't back down and say 'trans women are women' like other people do who don't really get what they are saying or who just don't care as long as they get a easy life, activists hate her and have a pathological need to have her brought low so that no-one else ever dares question them. And people just go along with it because it seems right-on.

For the record, I'm happy to say that trans women are women but they are not the same as afab women. And it's kinda ridiculous that anyone could think differently
I mostly agree with you, I think trans women are women but that doesn't mean they're the same, however what makes Rowling transphobic is that she doesn't want trans women to be accepted as women in any female space at all, she still pretty much believes all trans women are men disguising themselves as women who destroy the very concept of womanhood for existing at all and take advantage of it to rape people, when they simply want to live life as women and want to be recognized as such. My point was that denying an entire group rights because they might commit a crime one day is the definition of prejudice, people who have abused trans rights who rape women (Which I'm pretty sure are already rapists in the first place) are already being penalized by being moved to male prisons anyways and for sporting events the best solution is just to create events exclusively for trans people. Supporting women rights and trans rights is compatible.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's entirely possible that people change,
They were grown ass men prior to the change, it very rarely ever happens. Not all at the same time, with the very same marching orders. From Kimmell to Stern to King and every other in-between. Nah. Stats don't line up when people become less far radical as they age, not more like they just graduated with a L.A. degree.

Last edited:

Moneal

Maybe I’m old because no peer pressure made me ever think of making out with a dude.

I was thinking about the gay person being confused because of straight peers outnumbering them. I am sure I've heard tons of stories of gay people saying they dated straight for years before figuring things out.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I was thinking about the gay person being confused because of straight peers outnumbering them. I am sure I've heard tons of stories of gay people saying they dated straight for years before figuring things out.
Theres more weirdo middle schoolers now then there are normal ones.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do you have a source for this statement? Because for all we know sexual orientation is inborn, you don't decide to be "gay".

You don't, but many kids still struggle to come to terms with their sexuality. That is my point. Not that they "decide" to be.

It's entirely possible that people change, I don't know King myself but even if he pretends to support trans rights to not get cancelled, I still don't think Rowling acted on good faith. for example it's obvious Disney doesn't give a damn about minorities but it's questionable when people critizice them JUST for the fact there's minorities in their products and not because it's hipocriytical of them to act like they love minorities when they only care about profits or excuse their racism on the multimillionaire's hypocrisy.

I mostly agree with you, I think trans women are women but that doesn't mean they're the same, however what makes Rowling transphobic is that she doesn't want trans women to be accepted as women in any female space at all, she still pretty much believes all trans women are men disguising themselves as women who destroy the very concept of womanhood for existing at all and take advantage of it to rape people, when they simply want to live life as women and want to be recognized as such. My point was that denying an entire group rights because they might commit a crime one day is the definition of prejudice, people who have abused trans rights who rape women (Which I'm pretty sure are already rapists in the first place) are already being penalized by being moved to male prisons anyways and for sporting events the best solution is just to create events exclusively for trans people. Supporting women rights and trans rights is compatible.

Your continued lies and slander show how little room you have to stand. You have been disproven time and again, yet you keep repeating the tired idiotic bullshit.

I think you are going to struggle to evidence this because it isn't true

Did Jim Stirling grow breasts?

I feel like this guys mental state is getting worse and worse and hes on the verge of snapping any moment now each time I see someone post a picture of him from a recent video, or a YT thumbnail (I don't touch the channel.)

I mostly agree with you, I think trans women are women but that doesn't mean they're the same, however what makes Rowling transphobic

I'm not sure what this means.

Last edited:
I never cared about Potter and I was never intending to buy the game anyways I just want to bring something to the conversation without being toxic.

sorry, but when you choose to define what rowling 'pretty much believes', rather than quoting her actually saying anything confirming this, you are not bringing something to any kind of 'conversation'. you are simply pontificating...

j.k. rowling's a big girl, & can speak for herself. you needn't speak for her. if you feel she 'believes' something, prove it: quote her. if not, stop saying it...

DeathGuise

One of the biggest problems is that few people will speak in real terms about any of this. It's a bunch of false equivalencies. Like when some says "you're denying a trans person's right to exist," they're not really talking about someone who says or thinks that trans people shouldn't be allowed to exist. They're talking about someone who refuses to use or be constrained to use their pronouns. But they won't voice their complaint using those stark terms because they feel their indignation is more justified if they frame it as if they're being persecuted.

Most people don't care what you do in your personal life. They just want you to keep your issues to yourself and the people who want to hear about your issues. Mostly they want you to keep it away from their kids (and I mean their own specific kids), and they don't like when you tell them that you have to not just abide them, but laud and celebrate them. It's fucking annoying, and it's also annoying when they get called bigots or hateful for not going along with it.

Cyberpunkd

Supporting women rights and trans rights is compatible.
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. Here are a few things that trans women are not concerned by:

Rape (if pre-op)
Access to abortion
Access to contraceptives
Access to hygiene products
Unequal pay
Sexual harassment at work

Etc.

AFAB women experiences from the very early age are completely different than those of trans women, how is that difficult to understand?

What Rowling is getting shit for is saying: Trans rights are exclusive to trans, you deal with them within the trans community, whereas trans activists (and I don’t blame them - clever use of game mechanics) know they will have more success if they frame their rights in the context of larger women’s rights, since a lot of people hate trannies, but way less hate women.

Last edited:
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. Here are a few things that trans women are not concerned by:

Rape (if pre-op)
Access to abortion
Access to contraceptives
Access to hygiene products
Unequal pay
Sexual harassment at work

Etc.

AFAB women experiences from the very early age are completely different than those of trans women, how is that difficult to understand?

What Rowling is getting shit for is saying: Trans rights are exclusive to trans, you deal with them within the trans community, whereas trans activists (and I don’t blame them - clever use of game mechanics) know they will have more success if they frame their rights in the context of larger women’s rights, since a lot of people hate trannies, but way less hate women.

I agree with your general arguments, like that the early age experiences of natal women and trans women differ significantly (puberty, hormones, menstrual cycle, etc.). I also think medical care should also be provided as appropriate for biology, and providing it by feelings/identity is not beneficial to anyone.

I don't agree that trans women aren't concerned with, or don't face, rape/sexual harassment (at work or elsewhere) though, regardless of pre-op or post-op status.

Also, not sure whether you have hostile intent or just don't know, but calling them "trannies" is like if you called gay/lesbian people "homos" these days. IDK when exactly people started regarding it as a slur, but it's been that way for quite a while.

LostDonkey

The more I play the better it gets. The combat, exploration, visuals, atmosphere...everything is so good. Even the little animations are perfect for the world. They did such a great job and this website that gave this review should be blacklisted from every gaming forum on the internet.

Idiots.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I don't agree that trans women aren't concerned with, or don't face, rape/sexual harassment (at work or elsewhere) though, regardless of pre-op or post-op status.

Also, not sure whether you have hostile intent or just don't know, but calling them "trannies" is like if you called gay/lesbian people "homos" these days. IDK when exactly people started regarding it as a slur, but it's been that way for quite a while.
What I meant by rape: trans women do not learn from their mothers at the age of 12 they should constantly watch out around them, look how they dress and come back in groups.

Regarding the slur- I used it to signify hate towards trans people, I know the word is offensive, and I’m not using it myself.

Top Bottom