• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Lastflowers, you are now my go to guy for all things MS related that are bad.

Could you please have the predictive text and auto-correct in W8.1 fixed so I can add bloody swear-words. I've asked a question on the community but I'm being roundly ignored.

No rush, I just need it done by the weekend.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that's on purpose because it has to actually have a list of bad words you can't add. So I don't expect it to change.

I think I managed to sneak one in, don't remember what it was though.

hadareud

The Translator
I've already brought it up, actually, as have other people in some internal DLs

Excellent stuff. You know I was joking.

Though I find it odd that there doesn't seem to be access to the dictionary anywhere, I've searched and searched and nobody on the Google (sorry, Bing) knows either.

I'm pretty sure that's on purpose because it has to actually have a list of bad words you can't add. So I don't expect it to change.

I think I managed to sneak one in, don't remember what it was though.

There's no such thing as bad words, just bad use of words. For instance, if someone tries to steal your suitcase at the airport, you tell them to fuck off. Loudly. You don't say "go away". You say "fuck off" and off they fuck. And trust me, John Terry is not a count.

I don't have a problem with no swear-words being in the dictionary, but there should be an option to add them or at the very least the auto-correct should not auto-correct them anymore after a while (like on WP, where over time the swear words are added).

It's not just swear words either, it's all sorts of stuff W8.1 won't let you add to the dictionary that makes no sense and the auto-correct is so bloody strict, you can't get around it (not even by clicking away or highlighting something else in the meantime).

Milchjon

How would I know there is a Facebook Beta app available that is more recent and works better than the only official Facebook app that is available on the(my) marketplace?

Because you're following this thread!

Edit;

Stolen from WPC

QR%20Facebook%20Beta.png

Nero3000

So...what do we want to see on the 8.1 wave of phones?

For me it would be:

- <5" 1080p OLED screen
- 925 class chassis
- 20mp pureview proper
- 64GB built-in storage or 32GB and SD card slot.
- Wireless charging built in

PG2G

That sounds good to me, though I'd opt for the full up 41 megapixel camera. I don't expect we'll see that until next fall at best though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I see a banner ad on Gaf for Telus with the 1020 for $0 on a 2 year contract. But the Telus website does not seem to have the deal live yet?

hwalker84

EU Approves. US Approves. Done deal

The European Union has cleared Microsoft’s deal to purchase Nokia’s Devices and Services unit. In a statement released today, the Commission notes that the “overlap of the two companies' activities in this area is minimal and several strong rivals, such as Samsung and Apple will continue to compete with the merged entity.”

Microsoft quickly applauded the move. As a Microsoft spokesperson told The Verge: "We look forward to the date when our partners at Nokia will become members of the Microsoft family, and are pleased that the European Commission has cleared the deal without conditions." The European approval comes just days after the US Department of Justice also gave Microsoft’s deal the go ahead, and paves the way for the merger to complete early next year.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/4/5175116/microsoft-nokia-european-comission-approval

hwalker84

For me it would be:

- <5" 1080p OLED screen
- 925 class chassis
- 20mp pureview proper

Lumia 1020 + 5-5.3 Inch 1080p + Latest and greatest hardware + Wireless charging built in

NeOak

For me it would be:

- <5" 1080p OLED screen
- 925 class chassis
- 20mp pureview proper

Nokia N97-mini like Hardware QWERTY.

I would sacrifice my 920 and jump to Android for hardware QWERTY.

Now with the MS deal, there won't be hardware QWERTY from "Nokia".

Bebpo

Banned
I posted this in the Nokia thread, but they suggested posting it here.

On my 1020 I've been having this problem for months where it likes to go into voice control with that BEEP BEEP noise while it's in my pocket and I'm walking and then every few steps it goes BEEP BEEP until I take it out of my pocket and cancel the listening mode. Or sometimes when I take it out of my pocket after that it's on the bing search screen.

I have no idea how that can be happening since the phone is locked and screen off when it goes in my pocket and it seems like to activate the voice control it would have to double tap the screen, slide the screen up to the home screen and then hold down the home button for a few seconds which uh, just sliding around in an empty pocket does not seem like that should be happening...at least not frequently (happens every few days).

fwiw I have the camera case accessory on at all times and that might be affecting it since the case makes it a little more glitchy with some stuff like battery indicator and the ability to power off.

I kind of wonder if I just got a bum phone. It's a nice phone but the glitches (and Spotify is so glitchy and bad at remembering what you're playing) are making me thinking about changing brands again in another 1.5 years (came from iphone series)

Milchjon

On my 1020 I've been having this problem for months where it likes to go into voice control with that BEEP BEEP noise while it's in my pocket and I'm walking and then every few steps it goes BEEP BEEP until I take it out of my pocket and cancel the listening mode. Or sometimes when I take it out of my pocket after that it's on the bing search screen.

I have no idea how that can be happening since the phone is locked and screen off when it goes in my pocket and it seems like to activate the voice control it would have to double tap the screen, slide the screen up to the home screen and then hold down the home button for a few seconds which uh, just sliding around in an empty pocket does not seem like that should be happening...at least not frequently (happens every few days).

fwiw I have the camera case accessory on at all times and that might be affecting it since the case makes it a little more glitchy with some stuff like battery indicator and the ability to power off.

I kind of wonder if I just got a bum phone. It's a nice phone but the glitches (and Spotify is so glitchy and bad at remembering what you're playing) are making me thinking about changing brands again in another 1.5 years (came from iphone series)

Do you have super sensitive touch on? Sometimes when I don't turn my phone off I think it's sensitive enough for my leg to activate stuff through my pocket. I'd try turning off double tap to wake and/or super sensitive touch selectively to see if anything changes.

Spotify is kinda shit and has been forever. You might want to take a look at alternatives (like Xbox Music). Although I guess that won't be of much help if you're already paying for Spotify.

Personally, I've stopped using anything but Nokia Mix Radio anyway. The Offline Mix feature is awesome, and while it doesn't let me select certain titles, my mixes are good enough so it doesn't bother me. And I don't pay anything. The quality is meh, so I'm considering paying the 3.99 per month, but it's good enough for me at the moment. Plus I'm always discovering new stuff via those mixes.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Could be lint in the earpiece, an accessibility setting, or a rogue app. Do what kharma suggested and mess around with the lock screen settings.

Can you explain what is glitchy about the camera grip? I haven't had any issues, but then again I don't use it unless I'm hiking.

Also, the mint app is nice and looks great. When a dev does a metro app properly, it looks far better than the same app on other platforms.

KageMaru

So is XBL integration a huge selling factor for you guys when it comes to games? Looking at the WPCentral forums, it's shocking to see how some refuse to buy any game that isn't live enabled.

Also, Mint released for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.

Trying this out for the first time and while it's great so far, I find it odd how the app recognizes I have pending transactions but won't factor them into my available cash amount.

Milchjon

So is XBL integration a huge selling factor for you guys when it comes to games? Looking at the WPCentral forums, it's shocking to see how some refuse to buy any game that isn't live enabled.

Not at all. What's the point besides achievements that I don't care about?

Maybe try disabling the option in the settings that enables you to go to search from the lockscreen by holding down the button

Search Button>>...>>Settings>>Allow Search button from lockscreen

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I got it when it came out. Love the interface and camera is great during the daylight (night pictures or low light are still as terrible as all phone cameras).

Could be lint in the earpiece, an accessibility setting, or a rogue app. Do what kharma suggested and mess around with the lock screen settings.

Can you explain what is glitchy about the camera grip? I haven't had any issues, but then again I don't use it unless I'm hiking.

The main thing (maybe the only thing) is the battery indicator. Like I'll have my phone (in the camera accessory) say it's draining really fast and think it's at like <20% remaining when I've barely used it and go into safe battery saver mode. Then I reset the phone and the battery indicator jumps to 80% and drains correctly. Doesn't happen all the time, but happens regularly.

Used Waze this week. What an awful experience. Low bitrate for the voice navigation, limited vocabulary, and has a few bugs.

Here drive is sooooo much more refined.

To think Waze was one of the apps android fans were pimping.

Fox Mulder

Used Waze this week. What an awful experience. Low bitrate for the voice navigation, limited vocabulary, and has a few bugs.

I love Here more than any of the other nav apps I've used across devices.

That's pretty much my opinion of the features but some of these people refuse to purchase any game that lacks support. IMO this does more harm than good for the platform.

it's cool to get achievements for Sudoku, but leader boards and challenges are fun on my iPad. Seems like devs are moving away from Xbox integration anyways, with the headaches it brings.

Kind of weak that a company that releases a game console and did so well with Live and xbla cant do more with gaming on their mobile platform. I actually like playing mobile games though.

it's cool to get achievements for Sudoku, but leader boards and challenges are fun on my iPad. Seems like devs are moving away from Xbox integration anyways, with the headaches it brings.

Kind of weak that a company that releases a game console and did so well with Live and xbla cant do more with gaming on their mobile platform. I actually like playing mobile games though.
they were doing fine with WP7. Weekly "Xbox" releases, then with WP8 it all went to shit. I'm still bitter about losing DodonPachi.

PG2G

Yeah, but the directions are like 10x better than Here. Here doesn't even factor traffic into determining your route, which is the entire point of Waze IMO.

Yeah, but the directions are like 10x better than Here. Here doesn't even factor traffic into determining your route, which is the entire point of Waze IMO.
true but I found the voice navi response very late. For example, it will tell me to make a left after I've already past an intersection. I gotta keep my eyes on my phone screen to keep waze honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom