• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the PS6/Xbox next go all digital?

Yes or No?

• Yes! Physical copies are dead

Votes: 73 36.7%
  • NO

Votes: 126 63.3%

• Total voters

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yep.

I also think they'll be streaming and subscription only. Neither console will have a SSD or anyway to download games. It'll just be streaming that you have to access with a monthly fee.

They'll still have backwards compatibility, but the catch is you'll only be able to access them with a paid subscription.

Subscriptions will also only be sold on an annual basis for £399. No more monthly fees.

Eiknarf

Banned
That's because people strangely want it to die as if they benefit anything from it.
But it's more to do with solidifying their own choices as the right one.
Case in Point.

Why would you want that?
That’s called Sunken Cost Fallacy

The phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.

Reactions: TGO

the_master

How many people buy music on disks? What about phisical movies?
Why do we think it won’t go the same way for games?

I love phisical games but digital are more convenient short term. You don’t have to stand up to change thw disc, tou buy the game from the sofa.

Sadly, physical games are dying and will be dead in a few years. It pains me, but it is the truth.

Good side is we will polute less thanks to that. Except for remote play where we will pollute even more.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How many people buy music on disks? What about phisical movies?
I like stuff like this
dsc_0195-jpg.556546

And this isn't even available digitally
m79938743220_2.jpg

Get rid of physical?....no thanks

And despite having 24-bit versions of Albums I do buy physical CDs still.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
I like stuff like this
dsc_0195-jpg.556546

m79938743220_2.jpg

Get rid of physical....no thanks
Yeah. That’s the stuff of collectors. The question will be ; how big of a market will it be if the only ones buying physical are collectors? It’s a niche market.

Last edited:

nowhat

I answered "yes" because a) on a personal level, I rarely buy physical these days, but also b) while I'd like to see that as an option, it's not going to happen. Physical will die, whether we like it or not.

NekoFever

I think the consoles will ship without disc drives but external ones will be an option.

There are huge areas of the world, where people downloading 100GB+ digital games is hilariously unrealistic. And I’m not even talking the developing world here — my in-laws can’t get anything faster than 3Mbps at home.

Personally the day I can’t buy a AAA console game physically is the day I stop buying them. I’m not averse to digital distribution — I’m all in on streaming music and have hundreds of digital movies — but digital games are more expensive for a worse experience. Every other media got cheaper when it went digital, but I just got FFXVI on disc for £16 less than the PSN price. It’s absurd.

TGO

Yeah. That’s the stuff of collectors. The question will be ; how big of a market will it be if the only ones buying physical are collectors? It’s a niche market.
Well I think Physical is a collector's market now.
There are standard 4K discs that I buy just because they're not available here in the UK and are even limited to a single Streaming service in the US.
So it becomes a collector's thing because despite being digital, things aren't as available as they should be.
And that's one beauty of physical Media these days.
Most can be bought anywhere and play anywhere and be kept forever.

sendit

Yeah they are. You just don’t know how to shop for PC games.
I just don't care. If I'm paying 1500+ for a graphic card, the last thing I would care about is finding the cheapest possibly option for game prices. Steam is convenient enough. I don't want to purchase from CDKey, or GMG, or really any other store for that matter.

WoJ

I suspect it will be an add on. Despite the prevalence of digital over physical and trends there are still a lot of physical PS4/PS5 games out there. Assuming Sony continues the BC trend it would suck to get a new console without access to my PS4 games on disc

Sethbacca

Nah, but they'll definitely go the hybrid digital/physical from the get go like they're doing with the rumored Slim refresh.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I just don't care. If I'm paying 1500+ for a graphic card, the last thing I would care about is finding the cheapest possibly option for game prices. Steam is convenient enough. I don't want to purchase from CDKey, or GMG, or really any other store for that matter.

That has nothing to do with your comment that PC games aren’t cheaper than console games.

They are.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't see it, they risk losing their relationship with retailers. They would lose shelf space and branding opportunities. Of course, this is just my guess.
I would say that the dynamic has changed so much over the years that retailers has lose their bargaining power with stores closing left and right, and publishers are able to survive with losing their relationship now.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Games aren't way cheaper on PC.

Recent/pending releases:
Diablo 4 69.99 PC/Console
Street Fighter 6 59.99 PC/Console
Starfield 69.99 PC/Xbox

You can buy steam keys.

Street Fighter 6 - $49

Starfield - $59

Muffdraul

I doubt it, but if they did I'd be fine with it. Only thing stopping me from going all digital was my shitty internet. Since finally getting a 50mgb hookup last year, bye bye physical copies. I used to hate the idea of going digital, but when I had to move last year and pack up 30 years worth of video game crap, I had an attitude adjustment real quick.

sendit

That has nothing to do with your comment that PC games aren’t cheaper than console games.

They are.
On average? No, most people buy from well known store fronts on the PC. And I would imagine the purchasing from other outlets outside of the major ones will get a lot tighter as we go forward. I doubt publishers enjoy seeing their games on CDKey.

Last edited:

ViolentP

The only reason I think physical should stay around is because there are a lot of people out there who enjoy it. But looking at it objectively, it is an archaic delivery method that consumes too much space and energy.

Susurrus

No.

- Internet infrastructure isn't there and won't be there for a long time. If you really think a digital only future is as soon as next gen, congrats you live somehwere that has a solid connection, likely without bandwidth caps. But this is not universal. A massive part of the gaming population still has shitty slow connections that would take a day+ to download a large game, or a bandwidth cap where these large games will rapidly eat through. This doesn't even talk for folks that don't have internet connection at all (yes, they're very much out there!)
- Disc version of PS5 is in way higher demand than digital version, people like their options instead of being locked in to one storefront and purchase respectfully.
- Marketing. When you have shelves full of games, it is easier to show what is available than just putting everything on the digital store. You think retailers are going to want to carry consoles they make no money off of? No. A digital only future means you're probably only going to be able to buy consoles directly from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo's websites, which a vast majority of gamers never even see.
- There are reasons like collecting, trading, loaning, used games, and maybe it does cause some influence from a customer viewpoint, but of course these aren't profit to those making them so maybe not as influential.

Someone please answer me also, some people WANT digital only. Why is this? Nothing is stopping you from buying digital. Do your digital buying and let those that buy physical games do just that. This is just as dumb as when people get angry because a game is multiplatform instead of exclusive to theirs. Do some people just not want others to enjoy games the way they want despite it no way negatively impacting yourself? If so, that's really sad.

Sony won't, because Playstation exists in many markets where Internet is simply not adequate for you to download 200+ GB in 5 minutes like it's nothing. The reason Playstation is so dominant over Xbox worldwide is because it actually exists in most of the world and Xbox doesn't. Most of the world still buys lots of games on discs because it's their only feasible option.

Microsoft might, because Xbox only exists in 2 markets basically (US and UK) and both have good or good-ish Internet. Microsoft has never been anything but a US-centric American tech company and is scarcely aware the rest of the world exists, much less actually know that they might not have Internet good enough for an all-digital game console.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
On average? No, most people buy from well known store fronts on the PC. And I would imagine the purchasing from other outlets outside of the major ones will get a lot tighter as we go forward. I doubt publishers enjoy seeing their games on CDKey.

I’m talking about certified key sellers. Yes, those are well known. Humble is well known. Greenmangaming is well known. Fanatical is well known. There’s others. New release games and preorders can be purchased at a discount all the time.

There’s a lot of competition in the PC marketplace.

I will stop caring at that point. Heck I still don't have a PS5 or new XBox. Haven't touched the PS4 in ages and only play Switch and a hacked Vita. There's enough awesome content I can play if they go all digital I can walk away.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I like stuff like this
dsc_0195-jpg.556546

m79938743220_2.jpg

Get rid of physical....no thanks

And despite having 24-bit versions of Albums I do buy physical CDs still.
Likewise and because physical releases are typically niche, we do get these higher quality releases. I've never stopped buying physical music, movies, tv series et al.

This debate was there at launch with PS5 too. Yet nearly every purchased model I see bring used is the ROM condole.

simpatico

I think the physical medium will exist for a while longer. Specifically because of the amount of people collecting physical discs/content.

It's a great advertisement for physical cases to games being showcased in a store for example.
With only a few exceptions, all the high grossing modern games are digital only.

I have a feeling both Sony and MS will go all-digital next gen. They do that, and I limit my spending with limited options.

TGO

Yet nearly every purchased model I see bring used is the ROM condole.
Sorry mate I think I know what you're saying but I'm not too sure.
Are you saying the most purchased version was the disc based model?
To the rest, yes
We was having this conversation with the PS4 and to the lesser extent PS3
People was saying Blu-ray wouldn't take off because LoveFilm/Netflix etc.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

No, people thinking otherwise are too narrow/short minded and are only seeing *their* local life, but, breaking news there is whole world just around their country and consoles are selling there too with extremely variable internet quality and price access.

Bill Nye Spinning GIF by Nike

Last edited:

angrod14

Default digital consoles with optional external disc drives you can buy separately, or bundled. Think Apple when they started shipping Macbooks without disc drives. You know the rest of the story.

Physical will not disappear completely but it will remain as a collector's market. People who want physical copies will end up paying premium prices, often having to buy from third parties like Limited Run.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Sorry mate I think I know what you're saying but I'm not too sure.
Are you saying the most purchased version was the disc based model?
To the rest, yes
We was having this conversation with the PS4 and to the lesser extent PS3
People was saying Blu-ray wouldn't take off because LoveFilm/Netflix etc.
Wow, I can't type on mobile. I agreed that most I know bought the ROM model of PS5. Also, I've been hearing all digital for consoles since about 7th gen. Folks still like physically purchasing games. Simply have an all digital library takes a bit of the joy out of all of it. That's me, though.

TGO

Wow, I can't type on mobile. I agreed that most I know bought the ROM model of PS5. Also, I've been hearing all digital for consoles since about 7th gen. Folks still like physically purchasing games. Simply have an all digital library takes a bit of the joy out of all of it. That's me, though.
😂 It's not just you, I'm 100% sure the newer keyboards on theses things fuck up everything more then they use too, in fact I booted up one of my old phones to send some files across to my current phone and while renaming them I was on fire with the keyboard, every letter was accurate and the autocorrect didn't even fuck up either.
But on topic.
Don't get me wrong I have digital content and its preferable for things like TV Shows and Films (not a big fan of steaming) just for quick access
But I like to have them physically too
And I like that someone can see them on the shelves and get a idea of what I like and be surprised or maybe not so much surprised by what I'm into.
Games I kinda see different for some reason.
They're always Physically there calling to be played, while digital drops off into your library to be never seen again until you actually search for it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
😂 It's not just you, I'm 100% sure the newer keyboards on theses things fuck up everything more then they use too, in fact I booted up one of my old phones to send some files across to my current phone and while renaming them I was on fire with the keyboard, every letter was accurate and the autocorrect didn't even fuck up either.
But on topic.
Don't get me wrong I have digital content and its preferable for things like TV Shows and Films (not a big fan of steaming) just for quick access
But I like to have them physically too
And I like that someone can see them on the shelves and get a idea of what I like and be surprised or maybe not so much surprised by what I'm into.
Games I kinda see different for some reason.
They're always Physically there calling to be played, while digital drops off into your library to be never seen again until you actually search for it.
I'll never get phone keyboards lol.

I'm sorta the same. I have thumb drives of nothing but digital rips of media (mostly TV shows) which never had a proper release, I'm subbed to Apple Music but seldom use it and I tend to enjoy a download on Steam every now and then.

However, I started gaming physical. In the 2nd - 4th gen, physical always felt like bring the arcade console to TV. I rather enjoy that still which is why I still have 2 CRTVs for those consoles. 5th onward is when buying physical really became my go to. All these 30 some year old carts I have still work just fine too. The 25-year old discs...the same. I'd see just about everything go all digital in 10-years but not my games.

Justin9mm

I'm hoping not but assuming it will.

In countries like mine (Australia), there is a huge price disparity between physical and digital, we are talking a $30-$40+ difference in some cases on new release games. It's quite crazy. Then, after several months, sometimes less we see decent price drops on those physical games but the digital price doesn't drop until much later and not as much as physical.

If we take price out of it and you're not a collector, majority of people will play a single player game once, with a physical copy I can on sell it. With physical, we also have game guarantees like if you don't like it, you can return for a refund within 7 days through EB games, Amazon lets us return for full refund within 14 days. You get none of these perks with digital. I love digital convenience, I have a good-sized library, but they are all games bought on deep sale, never new releases. If there was competitive pricing on digital, third parties could sell digital codes at competitive prices, not be tied only to the PS store (holding the monopoly on pricing) and there were better refund policies, plus have the ability to gift or on sell the game, even if Sony or Microsoft took a small cut, I would be on board with digital only. But until then, no one in their rational mind should support digital only in the current state that it is in.

Don't encourage anti-consumer practices whether you prefer digital only or happy to pay the prices, you should never support taking away options that benefit consumers.

Last edited:
I think there will always be a place for physical copies, because of the collectors out there and the potential for resale.

Unfortunately, I feel like the industry has long since decided it's not going to listen to what consumers want and it seems inevitable that, at some point in the not too distant future, we'll see physical copies phased out entirely... probably, under the guise of some environmental legislation somewhere.

The problem with the concept of killing off physical games for consoles is that from the console makers' perspective (at least for Sony & Microsoft, as I highly doubt Nintendo's looking to go digital only), is that Sony and Microsoft run the risk of starting off a new console generation on a bad gamble.

So say in the summer of 2028, if either Sony or Microsoft were to announce their new console to be digital only, and the other company then follows that announcement with their own console still having a disc drive for the next generation, it would just give the latter company plenty of great PR and goodwill from the consumers and great momentum, while the former company would have to deal with a shitshow of a torrent of bad news cycle heading into the new console generation for the next 7-8 years.

I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the executive who made the call to make their company's console a digital only device in that scenario, as even Don Mattrick would look like a saint compared to that individual.

Last edited:
Top Bottom