• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the PS6/Xbox next go all digital?

Yes or No?

• Yes! Physical copies are dead

Votes: 73 36.7%
  • NO

Votes: 126 63.3%

• Total voters

MiguelItUp

No. I think, if anything, it'll be an external add on drive like people have been mummering about. I feel like it'd be a bit more cost efficient too than having two completely different console SKUs. But who knows! Only time will tell.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think in the UK they might more so with the UK's really good roll out of Gigabit broadband.

That’s good to hear. One thing people often avoid to discuss is the fact that internet infrastructure will only improve not worsen, to facilitate businesses and home users for many other things too.

Maybe an external add on drive will be the next step, but even then it’ll be a winning step for digital, as Sony and others can place artificial limitations to the supply while giving its players an illusion of choice. Such as shipping only 500 external drives to Amazon every 6 months for customers to buy. Or limiting sales through only PS Direct. Or pricing it at $149.99. By placing various hurdles, it will help Sony push the remaining physical format folks to switch to digital.

Your daily reminder that any of these consoles can block you from running a physical disk by baking it into the system software, so long as they're willing to take the PR hit. You never legally bought ownership of the game even back during the offline days, merely a liscense. In the days of consoles being walled-garden PCs they can revoke your access whenever they please.

Reselling discs is still a valid argument for physical media, but it's the only one.

That’s good to hear. One thing people often avoid to discuss is the fact that internet infrastructure will only improve not worsen, to facilitate businesses and home users for many other things too.

Maybe an external add on drive will be the next step, but even then it’ll be a winning step for digital, as Sony and others can place artificial limitations to the supply while giving its players an illusion of choice. Such as shipping only 500 external drives to Amazon every 6 months for customers to buy. Or limiting sales through only PS Direct. Or pricing it at $149.99. By placing various hurdles, it will help Sony push the remaining physical format folks to switch to digital.
I live in rural South Wales and we've just had FTTP installed to the exchange last year and so even I'm now getting Gigabit internet. Just the other day 2 local pubs have also gone digital and no longer accept cash.

The days of physical games are number and we all know it. It stops piracy, cut out retail and means more more money for the Publisher

Corndog

Banned
I am a huge fan of physical media. I love to play through my games and then buy/trade for new games when I'm done. Despite my love for physical media I can see the writing on the wall. Just a few signs

1. Digital downloads dominate the sales charts. I'm many cases it is 5:1 or more when comparing digital vs physical sales.

2. Games like Diablo 4/square/ubisoft and others make physical disk useless. Always online or server checks in game still require service on the developers end. If they shut down their servers the physical disk will not work. It's an expensive toaster.

3. Companies are selling Deluxe/special edition of their games for hundreds of dollars with no physical copy included. It's like they know most do not care for a physical copy.

I guess I am old fashion in wanting physical copies to stay but the market for them is shrinking fast.

Nintendo is the one enigma and keeping hope alive. I bet their eshop has then questioning physical too.
If they don’t go full digital then physical drive will be an add on.

Griffon

Games aren't way cheaper on PC.

Recent/pending releases:
Diablo 4 69.99 PC/Console
Street Fighter 6 59.99 PC/Console
Starfield 69.99 PC/Xbox

SF6 was going for 40$ on preorder in third party shops.
It's easy to do for pretty much every Steam/GoG/Epic games.

Otherwise I applaud your cherrypicking of two of the major exceptions:
- Diablo is Blizzard, they always overcharge (because they know they can, and they're not on any third party store).

- Starfield is a Gamepass AAA first party, they always overcharge those on buy-to-play
(I wonder why and what they want you to do instead of buying... :pie_thinking:)

Last edited:

Drew1440

Yes, even though I don't want them to. 128GB Blurays are not gonna cut it for next-gen unless new optical format is introduced, or switch to SD cards.

Top Bottom