• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Square Enix make a Forspoken 2?

Normally games that have horrible critical reception and are not commercially successful don’t get sequels. Unless the economics of AAA console games have changed and I wasn’t made aware of it.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Studio responsible for this game was closed following Forspoken's performance. Not a chance this IP will be continued in the near future
Yeah game was so bad they not only killed the team behind it, they also killed the engine just to make sure.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Money GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
rofif rofif burner account?

The studio was shutdown once this game tanked. It’s chances of a sequel are below 0%.
Less than 0%? Does that mean, like, they’re actually trying to erase the original from existence?

I know people here bitch about the all-digital future and games being able to vanish from your library, but in this case it might be a positive.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
rofif rofif burner account?

The studio was shutdown once this game tanked. It’s chances of a sequel are below 0%.
That’s true the studio was merged because the game flopped.
But as we know, very often game quality is not correlating with how well the studio is doing. Some of our fav games ever closed their studios

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Was it really that bad? I've never played it.
No it’s actually good game. People hung up on some cringe dialogue from first 10 min of the game…. That was made to show how annoying the character is since she has a character arc. But they wouldn’t know that.
It’s a quality game. Realistically 7-8. For me it’s a bit more since I really liked the game

The only reality in which I see a Forespoken 2 happening is the game having an incredibly successful crowdfunding campaign. And we all know how hit and miss crowdfunded games are.

But the cold, hard reality is while the game may have its fans, there simply aren't enough to warrant another Forespoken title. There are worse games. But put the Forespoken sequel in the same bucket as a Balan Wonderland sequel. It's not going to happen. Like, ever.

tenor.gif

Goalus

I could see it work as a collaborative effort by Sweet Baby Inc., Black Girl Gamers and GaymerX.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

I enjoyed Forspoken. It’s heavily flawed, for sure, but the traversal feels great and the combat is solid, and those are the things you spend 90% of the game doing. There’s enough promise in it that I’d love to see a sequel which smoothed out the rough patches. It’s certainly nowhere near as bad as its reputation around these parts would suggest, but I assume most of the most fervent haters haven’t actually played it.

I doubt it will ever get a sequel, though, since it underperformed and the studio folded.

EDIT: It’s also not woke and I don’t know why people think it is, unless you call “having a non-white protagonist” woke (which you shouldn’t). Another area where it feels like most of the detractors haven’t actually played it.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Just imagine if they made a crossover of Forspoken and LotR: Gollum, combining the 2 least desirable protagonists of the generation. Make it happen!

Garry's Mod community can do something about that.

Less than 0%? Does that mean, like, they’re actually trying to erase the original from existence?

I know people here bitch about the all-digital future and games being able to vanish from your library, but in this case it might be a positive.
No, Forspoken still has value.

It gave the Internet plenty of memes and lessons to game developers on what NOT to do.

Last edited:

Belthazar

No, not really. It had some great things going on, but the open-world aspect of it was so poorly executed that it ruined the whole thing... There was just nothing to it.

Last edited:

Belthazar

The only reality in which I see a Forespoken 2 happening is the game having an incredibly successful crowdfunding campaign. And we all know how hit and miss crowdfunded games are.

Yeah, even that wouldn't cut it. Even if it was a massively successful crowdfunding campaign that managed to raise 10 million dollars it still wouldn't be nearly enough to even begin to make the kind of game it would need to be.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It’s one game I’ve played where there is no happy medium in terms of performance. Maybe SE can improve the original first before considering a sequel, perhaps via a PS5 Pro update.

The gameplay itself has the potential to be fun.

They seems to have cease all update since November 2023

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The hate always seemed forced to me, it looked like a fun "wait for sale" game.
Oh for sure. If you change the controls it can be a lot of fun. People just bandwagon on the cringe dialogue and shit on the game. When really the dialogue is just as cringe as Borderlands series of games. Optimization is trash though and I don't think it will ever be updated since the game has been abandoned after majority of gamers abandoned the game. And it's commercial failure led to the closure of the studio. Such a waste.

GymWolf

Just scratch away everything that is not the combat and traversal and we have a deal.

Last edited:
No, the old dev team was disbanded and absorbed by other Square sectors. The studio being it is no more, and it's not like Forspoken broke any record sales or was memorable in any way. Forget this IP as Square had already moved on from it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I enjoyed Forspoken. It’s heavily flawed, for sure, but the traversal feels great and the combat is solid, and those are the things you spend 90% of the game doing. There’s enough promise in it that I’d love to see a sequel which smoothed out the rough patches. It’s certainly nowhere near as bad as its reputation around these parts would suggest, but I assume most of the most fervent haters haven’t actually played it.

I doubt it will ever get a sequel, though, since it underperformed and the studio folded.

EDIT: It’s also not woke and I don’t know why people think it is, unless you call “having a non-white protagonist” woke (which you shouldn’t). Another area where it feels like most of the detractors haven’t actually played it.
What''s so flawed about it? People keep repeating that.
The only flawed thing to me was terrible pacing when starting/ending quests and cutscenes. They make you stand there for 2-5 seconds like an idiot with cutscene already over.
But overall it's a well executed game that does what it aims to do. Tell the whole story, tells whole character arcs, combat and traversal are fine.
Performance and some missing ambient occlusion were also patched (that was flawed)

As for WOKE - it's so stupid. The game is not SBI and I still see it on the lists of sbi games. It's not.
It's a normal cringe Japanese game translated to English. It's no more/less cringe than any recent final fantasy to be honest.
People say it's woke because you play as black girl. Every boss is also an "evil woman" but nobody would know that without playing. It's just Square trying to hit usa sensibilities ... kinda barely just ok. Nothing woke about the game

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This hurts me on a personal level. Sleeping Dogs is better video game than GTA 5.
That is a proof that good games don't always get sequels and get studios closed.
Quality ... probably more often than not, does not correlate with good sales.
Some of best selling games right now are terrible for example

Top Bottom