• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii countdown clocks being sent to stores on August 14th?

Obonyasumi- Nice :-{

Head of Games, could be an internal title from within Virgin, like Head of Music. But as its from Nintendo, i doubt Nintendo have an head of games!!

Stink

Jonnyram said:
This is just for Virgin Megastores.
They'll probably put some in other chains too.
There are over 80 Virgin Megastores in the UK, not counting the "XS" minibranches.

thefro

DefectiveReject said:

Head of Games, could be an internal title from within Virgin, like Head of Music. But as its from Nintendo, i doubt Nintendo have an head of games!!

I'd think it'd be Head of Games Department, VP of Games Department, Director of Games Division, General Manager, region 2 Games Division, etc etc.

Still doesn't explain why there's no contact info, or anything identifying the company he works for in the signature. Every single corporate e-mail I've seen sent in all my years of IT has that stuff.

Rocked

It says they'll be contacting them to arrange the installation on the 14th, not that they're actually being installed then.

I remember my local GAME store had a clock counting down for Eternal Darkness. :lol

thefro said:
I'd think it'd be Head of Games Department, VP of Games Department, Director of Games Division, General Manager, region 2 Games Division, etc etc.

Still doesn't explain why there's no contact info, or anything identifying the company he works for in the signature. Every single corporate e-mail I've seen sent in all my years of IT has that stuff.
Yeah i picked up the From field etc in my first post!!

Anyway that Obonyasumi, is the festival of the dead or something, 2 days bank holiday today and tomorrow according to Google

Mr Toast

Kobun Heat said:
Do you know how the phrase "give or take" is used?

No, I finished a maths degree without learning estimation.

There are other 'round numbers' close to/give or take 100 - eg 90 or 110.

8bit

Knows the Score
DefectiveReject said:

If you google for "Head of Games" & Virgin Megastores, it turns up one James Cooke in that role at Virgin. That name looks as if it would fit in the whiteout space.

Spencerr

Banned
Mr Toast said:
No, I finished a maths degree without learning estimation.

There are other 'round numbers' close to/give or take 100 - eg 90 or 110.

Give or take 100 means plus or minus 100...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DefectiveReject said:
Yeah i picked up the From field etc in my first post!!

Anyway that Obonyasumi, is the festival of the dead or something, 2 days bank holiday today and tomorrow according to Google

that depends on the company. Many of my students get 5 fays off for Obon.

Spencerr

Banned
Mr Toast said:
Like I said, maths degree. Not english.
lol. Fair. I will now subject you to a lame math joke.

What's the anti-derivative of 1/(cabin) d(cabin)?

A house boat. LOLZ IF YOU GET IT YOU'RE A SUPER NERD

ln(cabin) + c ... Natural Log Cabin And The Sea = House boat, yes it's horrible

Mr Toast

Spencerr said:
lol. Fair. I will now subject you to a lame math joke.

What's the anti-derivative of 1/(cabin) d(cabin)?

A house boat. LOLZ IF YOU GET IT YOU'RE A SUPER NERD

ln(cabin) + c ... Natural Log Cabin And The Sea = House boat, yes it's horrible

:lol I love it!

Stevek211

Fair enough thats pretty logical but for example my house phone has an American date on it I also can't changethat. Some pieces of kit sold here do use the American style...

Interesting. To address some of the other points mentioned:

I think its fake. Surely if anything was gonna go out about Wii, it’d happen in Japan firstly. As it’d get released there first.

Who says a promo campaign hasn't already been discussed with Japanese retailers? Just because this is the first mention of a pre-launch campaign doesn't mean other firms across other territories haven't been preparing for one.

Also, don’t Emails have a “Sent from” on, and why would it show the BCC on an email? Isn’t the whole point of BCC the fact that you don’t want to show who its gone to?

Dunno about this one. I'm sure I've seen emails that show an empty BCC field before.

And a big thing, the mail has the date in American style, yet its to British or should be said, ENGLISH stores.

Unusual, but not unheard of. The company I work for uses American format dating, and I'm sure others do as well.

Also if this is from Nintendo, which I’d guess it must be, haven’t Nintendo stated time and again its just Wii this time, Not Nintendo Wii or any other combination of words

There's nothing there to suggest it's from Nintendo, though. It appears that it's a mail from this company's management - specifically, the firm's Head of Games - going out to the stores on the list. Even if it was from Nintendo, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the use of "Wii" instead of "Nintendo Wii" wasn't observed across the board. Style guides are just that, after all.

Still doesn't explain why there's no contact info, or anything identifying the company he works for in the signature. Every single corporate e-mail I've seen sent in all my years of IT has that stuff

Good point, though the email is cut off just a line after the sender's title. Plenty of room for a sig below with any corporate/contact info. Given the care taken to blot out the names, email addresses etc. I'd be surprised if that info had been left in.

If you google for "Head of Games" & Virgin Megastores, it turns up one James Cooke in that role at Virgin. That name looks as if it would fit in the whiteout space.

Yup, tried that one myself.

Give it a few weeks & we'll find out whether the countdown clocks are a genuine scheme or not.

It's hard to assume they will not happen. They've had countdown clocks to DS Lite recently, and tend to have ones every Christmas.

Stevek211 said:
Fair enough thats pretty logical but for example my house phone has an American date on it I also can't changethat. Some pieces of kit sold here do use the American style...

true it is possible that it's a uk company but the memo software they use won't let them put the date around the other way but it would be kinda odd.

Top Bottom