• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Widescreen resolution in PC games? How widely is it supported?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Many games run in widescreen. It's more common than you'd think, but some of them require some work. The forum above is your solution.

Martini

Naked Snake said:
And people with widescreen monitors/laptops, how do you play PC games that don't support 16:9 modes?

some games (battlefield2) will let you use a widescreen res and just stretch the image. in the case of ut2k4 you can tweak the fov to get rid of the 'fat vision'.other games (hl2/source) have 16:9 modes and its just as easy as picking the res. old games (quake2) you will most likely get screen overscan no matter what res you run in unless you run in a window, or your hdtv has a 'pc mode' which resizes the pc signal accordingly. if its a pc widescreen and not an hdtv set, it should either stretch with no overscan or have side bars with no overscan.

yeah

Helznicht

World of Warcraft supports wide screen modes... what else could you possibly need?

And OH how good it looks in 1080i on my 52" HD Widescreen Hitachi !

Too bad thats my wifes PC running it though.... :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For some games you have to edit INI files, but it's pretty easy. I've made Splinter Cell 3 and Doom 3 demos run fine on my widescreen TV in 720p. Teh hotness.

Dachande

Mostly it works fine out of the box. For games where it doesn't, I either use the URL above to find a workaround, or I play it in 4:3 with black bars at the sides, which I completely forget exist 7 seconds into the game.

Top Bottom