• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why portable gaming is an abomination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

Neutron Night said:
There are advantages to having lower standards, it makes it easier for you to be happy for one thing. Great for you. Unfortunately, my higher capacity for thought has made me unable to debase myself to the level of believing GBA games are the best that gaming has to offer.

10100074.jpg

Neutron Night said:
Lame. The only reason to play the Mario games in 2004 is because of nostalgia. Which is fine, I like nostalgia. No NEW Mario-style platforming could entrance me anymore. So don't fuck with the nostalgia. They didn't with All-Stars.

I ran this through babelfish but got nothing. Some help anyone?

Tellaerin

Neutron Night said:
You need to run it through the "Genius to Normal' translator. Then you'll be able to wrap your brain around it.

The same way you run yours through the 'Human to Troll' translator before posting?

The same way you run yours through the 'Human to Troll' translator before posting?

Because my views are different from yours, that makes me a troll? I was under the impression this was a message board, existing for debate. I thought this was GA, not Happy Happy Fun Land.

If I view GAF on my phone does that make me inferior? I know it'd be so much better with all that technology in my desktop, but I can't take that with me everywhere.

Tellaerin

Neutron Night said:
Because my views are different from yours, that makes me a troll? I was under the impression this was a message board, existing for debate. I thought this was GA, not Happy Happy Fun Land.

It's your belligerence and obnoxiousness that make you a troll, not your views. You kicked off the thread with a post calculated to incite ire, then fanned the flames with snide and self-aggrandizing responses to anyone who challenged your reasoning. I'm all for a lively debate, but what you've got going here is a bonfire, and that seems to have been your intention from the start.

Dilbert

Fundamentally, this guy's argument is completely flawed. The bottom line is that the market dictates the kinds of games which will be made. If lots of people want to buy portable systems and ports of old games...well, that's what you are going to see on the shelves. If you make the argument that videogames are a kind of art (and there's a good case to be made), then the situation in gaming is EXACTLY the same as the situation with books, movies, or music. The "best" always struggle for attention in a crowded market because, by definition, not everyone can appreciate the best for what it is. I'd love to see a sequel to Rez, but I've seen the sales numbers, and I understand reality.

His rant can be very neatly summarized thusly:

1) I'm pissed off because most gamers are buying games and systems which don't match my personal tastes...and since I can't fight the invisible hand of the market, I'm going to vent incoherently on the internet. Yeah, that will solve everything!
2) Any game which runs on newer technology is CLEARLY superior to any game which runs on an older platform. Anyone who supports older systems and architectures is a Luddite who deserves to be shot. In fact, I can't wait for that PS9 from the commericals to be ready, since THEN I can finally have sex in my own personal holodeck!
3) The past has no value to anyone. New, new, new! Shiny object chase!

The thing I don't understand is how this guy has been permitted to stay around. I know there were mods up late last night -- they banned someone in the Off-Topic Forum around midnight. So is this guy a joke character being permitted to be insultingly smug and annoying, or is this a genuine oversight?

Gunsmoke said:
SOUNDS LIKE YOU DON'T HAVE A GBA
AND WISH YOU DID !

HAHA

Imagine Castlevania on PS2 ? -
No need to imagine, the last one I played was a pathetic attempt or a poor mans DEVIL MAY CRY.

Back to 2D with you.

You sir don't understand. If Aria of Sorrow had been made for PS2 it would be better because faster processors ALWAYS mean better gameplay.

If Aria of Sorrow was made for the PS2, what's to stop it from being EXACTLY the same as the GBA version? How would that be any better? A good game is a good game REGARDLESS of what platform it is on.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
-jinx- said:
The thing I don't understand is how this guy has been permitted to stay around. I know there were mods up late last night -- they banned someone in the Off-Topic Forum around midnight. So is this guy a joke character being permitted to be insultingly smug and annoying, or is this a genuine oversight?

They're going to change his name to ILuvGBA or Christ I'm Stupid 2:The Return of the King.

-jinx- said:

I predicted the exact same thing, privately, when this whole thing began. He almost seems so completely ridiculous and over-the-top that he almost must be a big "see how people will react" joke. If it turns out that's the case, that's really hilarious and well executed. If not, he's still completely hilarious. We win either way!

While you're banning, make sure you ban all the people who kept calling me a "fucking moron" even then I never insulted them at all. And unlike me, they never bothered to back up their beliefs, which makes them nothing but worthless trolls.

I predicted the exact same thing, privately, when this whole thing began. He almost seems so completely ridiculous and over-the-top that he almost must be a big "see how people will react" joke. If it turns out that's the case, that's really hilarious and well executed. If not, he's still completely hilarious. We win either way!

All I will say is, one person has made a significant comment about me in this thread. That does not mean that I don't have a right to be here. I only desire to talk about games. I'm not flaming anyone that hasn't gone out of their way to insult me.

Neutron Night said:
While you're banning, make sure you ban all the people who kept calling me a "fucking moron" even then I never insulted them at all. And unlike me, they never bothered to back up their beliefs, which makes them nothing but worthless trolls.

Why aren't you banned.. ? :\

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ahem.

Allowing myself to substitute alternate words for "handheld" and "console"...

"Jiminey Jillickers! Why are all you people dragging back the drama industry by insisting on going to these low tech PLAYS? Look how much better they are on a movie screen, with complete special effects -- and then on my high quality home theater system! I can't believe you idiots are paying so much cash to see a LOW QUALITY, LOW EFFECT, OUTDATED show! There aren't even any CGI graphics or explosions in those plays... they are graphically inferior to movies! There's -nothing- that can be done on a stage that can't be done on the screen... those actors are just trying to (bleep) you out of your money and STAGNATE THE INDUSTRY!"

Isn't that about the size of it? Handheld: Play :: Console : Movie... different experiences, and focusing on different aspects... but both with their own special qualities?

cvxfreak

Originally Posted by Neutron Night
Lame. The only reason to play the Mario games in 2004 is because of nostalgia. Which is fine, I like nostalgia. No NEW Mario-style platforming could entrance me anymore. So don't fuck with the nostalgia. They didn't with All-Stars.

Well, I just added another reason to your list - they're incredibly entertaining games. But what I fail to comprehend is your orgasmic longing for a Mario remake when they already gave them to you in All-Stars. You've got to be pretty short sighted if you think people here would not want a new 3D sidescrolling Mario to be in the very least new instead of yet another remake.

You bitch about the industry going haywire, yet you ignore how sometimes things need to be completely original. That's what the industry needs, originality and your stupid need for a gameplay-untouched remake of old Mario games proves of your double standard for a good industry. The GBA doesn't provide that as much as it should, but don't go crying to GAF if things don't go your way. The GBA sells, and is gladly here to stay.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
His rant can be very neatly summarized thusly:

1) I'm pissed off because most gamers are buying games and systems which don't match my personal tastes...and since I can't fight the invisible hand of the market, I'm going to vent incoherently on the internet. Yeah, that will solve everything!
2) Any game which runs on newer technology is CLEARLY superior to any game which runs on an older platform. Anyone who supports older systems and architectures is a Luddite who deserves to be shot. In fact, I can't wait for that PS9 from the commericals to be ready, since THEN I can finally have sex in my own personal holodeck!
3) The past has no value to anyone. New, new, new! Shiny object chase!

The thing I don't understand is how this guy has been permitted to stay around.
If he's a joke character, maybe the joke lies in the fact that, based on the way you've summarized his rant, he's really no different than 90% of this board's members, specifically in regard to point #1.

Hero

A lot of my favorite games this gen have been for GBA.

Metroid Fusion/ZM, Advance Wars 1 + 2, Wario Ware, FFT:A, LoZ:TFS, etc.

I mean I play my GBA SP when there's downtime between classes, waiting for a bus, or what not. If the GBA wasn't around, I doubt a lot of those games would've been made on PS2/GCN/XBX.

Oh, and Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is one of the best games ever. Ballad of the Wind Fish = awesome.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Shiny Object Get!

I could probably write 3 - 4 entirely unique essays on why the logic presented in the original post is horribly flawed and the product of biases and disgusted sour grapes presented as keen rational insight.

However, I learned in my usenet days not to feed the trolls. Even self-congratulatory egomaniacs who were too blinded by their own percieved brilliance to realize they were essentially in word and deed little more than trolls with large vocabularies.

*goes back to playing GBA with the other sub-human retards*

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ok y'all... you don't have to go home, but you have to get the f@ck outta here!!! goodnight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom