• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why men should pay on first date!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Am I the only one who actually doesn’t dig all that make up? The more natural a girl is the better. I’d rather not have them cover up bad skin. If it bothers them… fix your nutrition.

Maybe just a bit of eyeliner for the eyes - and comb your hair after washing. More is not needed.

Woggleman

Women can wear what they want because it is their face but saying that you do it for yourself but then saying the cost is a reason why men should pay on dates is disingenuous. There is this narrative that women dress up and get dolled only for themselves but then at the same time they blame men for why they feel pressured to do it. I don't like people who bend the facts and the rules depending on when they do and don't benefit. Men do it as well. There are men who go on and on about how women should be submissive and be trad wives but then resent the idea that in that kind of arrangement they need to be the provider.

It seems like a lot of convenient hypocrisy and goal post moving and I don't like that. My wife wears red lipstick all the time but that is because she chooses to and when we were dating she never used it as a reason I should always be the one to open my wallet.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Am I the only one who actually doesn’t dig all that make up? The more natural a girl is the better. I’d rather not have them cover up bad skin. If it bothers them… fix your nutrition.

Maybe just a bit of eyeliner for the eyes - and comb your hair after washing. More is not needed.
A lot of dudes I know share the same opinion.
It could be just the competitive nature of going out and looking hotter than other women.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
A lot of dudes I know share the same opinion.
It could be just the competitive nature of going out and looking hotter than other women.
Well, I get it in the initial stage. When you bump into a girl regularly and she suddenly starts to doll herself up it’s for signaling you that there is interest. But later on it just seems unnecessary to me.

Dutchy

I'm more of a mutual respect kind of guy so if a woman offers to split/pay then I'll gladly accept it. I think it shows character and a healthy dash of independence. Both traits that will benefit both parties in the long run.

I used to tell women when I thought they looked better without makeup and a fancy hairstyle but was always met with complete disbelief.

Men look for authenticity in a partner, just like women do.

Word. My girlfriend always shies away from the fact that I like how she looks in the early morning. The dazed impression on her face, messy hair, and unconventionally big sweat pants have a very high shot and making me go cave-man mode.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
First date should be something simple like coffee or a drink anyway, if you can't afford that you in trouble son.
I never thought coffee dates were a good look. I usually did a show or a comedy club or an activity, but dating in New York is like that.

Tams

I never thought coffee dates were a good look. I usually did a show or a comedy club or an activity, but dating in New York is like that.

If they're put off by a coffee or drink date, then they ain't worth the effort or expense.

Now just those and never going out for dinner, or to see a show; of course that's just, well, being boring.

Hudo

Star Trek Applause GIF

This is why modern women want to put men down,once you use logic against them, it's all over.
Now I imagine Picard picking her up with the Enterprise (NCC 1701 D).

Well, he can just generate food anyway. And paying isn't even a concept anymore. But it still would be hilarious if he went "you owe me about $200 billion".

SF Kosmo

If they're put off by a coffee or drink date, then they ain't worth the effort or expense.
I think if you're approaching this trying to do the minimum you can get away with without "putting them off" you're already losing the game.

My approach to dating has always been to have fun, first and foremost. If it's a good night out, then it's money well spent. It's not just for her, it's for me.

Coffee dates are like a fucking job interview, they're awful and no one enjoys them. They exist only to screen people but since everyone is uncomfortable they're kind of bad for that.

Going out and having fun with someone is a much better way to get everyone to drop their guard and be themselves and see if you really get on. I don't know why you would want to do a coffee date other than being broke and cheap.

Renoir

I would feel that's it's kind of taki to invite a girl to eat, and then say you pay half.
But I'm just a boomer. Don't mind me.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Dating is not and should not be a capitalist transaction. That attitude is so utterly devoid of meaning and most people simply do not understand or care. It's quite frankly pathetic.
Sadly that's just how people are these days with regards to interpersonal relationships. Friendships and especially relationships are assessed by how much value each person brings to the table, and what each person can do

SF Kosmo

Sadly that's just how people are these days with regards to interpersonal relationships. Friendships and especially relationships are assessed by how much value each person brings to the table, and what each person can do
Maybe accepting and buying into (or even trying to game) this paradigm isn't the the best way to begin a relationship.

Everyone who's been around for a minute has had their share of toxic dynamics, but it doesn't make them an immutable fact of existence.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

I wouldn't mind going out like this, natural, without makeup, she doesn't look bad... If she wore it and bought Lancôme brand, that's her problem.

But here the question is... What does she offer me in the relationship...because company and affection... I'd better get a puppy.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

headaches.

I kid, poontang obv and headaches
But if we are supposedly in a time of equality, let them also contribute...

Because at least I break my back in work... The least these girls should do is love me and wash my clothes or help around the house.

LordOfChaos

I've had the same women in my life argue both that women don't wear makeup and dress up for men, they do it for themselves or for other women, and also that because they have to dress up more men should pay for dates...

It's all bullshit. Of course if you get a free ride you don't want to give it up. Equality comes with some wins and some losses, it's pathetic to give up your dignity for a 20 dollar meal.

And the fella here is right, the actual application cost is of course a fraction of the total price of the product, saying that's 700 dollars to get ready for a date is ludicrous

Last edited:

Tams

I think if you're approaching this trying to do the minimum you can get away with without "putting them off" you're already losing the game.

My approach to dating has always been to have fun, first and foremost. If it's a good night out, then it's money well spent. It's not just for her, it's for me.

Coffee dates are like a fucking job interview, they're awful and no one enjoys them. They exist only to screen people but since everyone is uncomfortable they're kind of bad for that.

Going out and having fun with someone is a much better way to get everyone to drop their guard and be themselves and see if you really get on. I don't know why you would want to do a coffee date other than being broke and cheap.

Wow, you read far too deep into my comment.

Coffee dates are fine. It allows participants to just dip their toes into the water. There's no need for pressure on a first date.

I'm not going to rip into your suggestions as you were want to mine.

nush

Wow, you read far too deep into my comment.

Coffee dates are fine. It allows participants to just dip their toes into the water. There's no need for pressure on a first date.

I'm not going to rip into your suggestions as you were want to mine.
I’m with the coffee date, if she turns her nose up at that then she’s not the right one for you. The 2nd date is actually the real date you put effort into.

It’s also a defence measure against getting catfished, oldfished or fatfished.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
eventually the women will cook for u and the kids if it goes further u get a return on ur first date investments down the line
Think About It GIF by Identity

SF Kosmo

I’m with the coffee date, if she turns her nose up at that then she’s not the right one for you. The 2nd date is actually the real date you put effort into.

It’s also a defence measure against getting catfished, oldfished or fatfished.
I don't really understand the benefit, though. Like if I plan a fun date and the girl isn't as attractive as I hoped and I don't want to keep dating her, I still had a fun night out, right? Like it isn't wasted money if it's a good time, even if it doesn't lead to love or sex.

I'm not saying you gotta drop $300 on a Michelin star restaurant just to flex on a first date, I'm just saying, do something fun that you wanted to do anyway, and see if she can hang.

Last edited:

Myths

Whatever they earn, they still want a man that earns more than them. It's not too uncommon for a career woman to be left on the shelf because the men she wants that earn more than her have got younger woman that he doesn't care what she earns.
Not to mention attraction is often asymmetrical. I still yet to wrap my mind behind the elaborate standards/list of expectations supposedly on dating apps without any mention of how they attract said person in return. Tons of what you mentioned are stuck on there with their dogs.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Dating is not and should not be a capitalist transaction. That attitude is so utterly devoid of meaning and most people simply do not understand or care. It's quite frankly pathetic.
Sure, let's ignore hundreds of studies how women even subconsciously look for a partner that will provide for them and their future children.

Dating is 100% a capitalist transaction. Sometimes the currency is body (you are good looking, you got game), sometimes it's money (you are not good looking but you have great career). It never occured to you how perfectly average-looking guys have 10/10 wives and girlfriends? Spoiler: it's not due to their great personalities.

Last edited:
Sure, let's ignore hundreds of studies how women even subconsciously look for a partner that will provide for them and their future children.
That part is obvious. But you don't need to break down every cost of your make up and use that as the reason why the guy should pay.

The ultimate goal of dating is what you mentioned yes. But breaking down your cosmetic cost into X to make the guy pay Y is vulgar to the extreme. At that point it's not about long term goals but only about empty bs values.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not to mention attraction is often asymmetrical. I still yet to wrap my mind behind the elaborate standards/list of expectations supposedly on dating apps without any mention of how they attract said person in return. Tons of what you mentioned are stuck on there with their dogs.
Way too many dudes out there for whom looks and pussy suffice. They do not need to provide more. The girls that end up with their dogs and cats only do so because they can’t find anyone that meets their expectations, not because they can’t find anyone. Way too many simps out there.

As soon as a girl is a little bit talkative she’s being SWARMED by dudes.

Toots

Gold Member
What i get from this is if every interaction with the opposite sex (or whichever you fancy) is transactional, then i should be able to sue a women for no (or even bad) blowjob at the end of a date.
There also should be a scale from Mac Donalds (one feel of a single tit over the shirt) to Michelin 3 stars diner (threesome with one of your partner's friend of your choosing).

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Maybe yes, maybe not...

They change a lot, for example look at the actress... With makeup she looks good, but if she wakes up she looks different... just look at her cutis.

QU7YSW2AB5FFPHNKFNS7KJGLBA.jpg

But if we are supposedly in a time of equality, let them also contribute...

Because at least I break my back in work... The least these girls should do is love me and wash my clothes or help around the house.
No one owes you anything (especially sex or any type of affection) even if you paid for the date.

winjer

Gold Member
Maybe yes, maybe not...

They change a lot, for example look at the actress... With makeup she looks good, but if she wakes up she looks different... just look at her cutis.

Both cases are using make up.
One to make Charlize look better, the other to make her look worse.
Neither are how she truly looks without makeup.

Myths

Way too many dudes out there for whom looks and pussy suffice. They do not need to provide more. The girls that end up with their dogs and cats only do so because they can’t find anyone that meets their expectations, not because they can’t find anyone. Way too many simps out there.

As soon as a girl is a little bit talkative she’s being SWARMED by dudes.
Also facts. Guys spoiling for no reason without any genuine reciprocation. Everything is jacked up about the current overwhelmingly dynamic in the field.

I’d rather splurge on a new game or MTX even than deign to this behavior.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Let's have it right, why should men pay for the women's over application of foundation, mascara, and contouring mistakes? Nobody asked the lady to go "joker light". Your face isn't your personality. You actually have to have substance.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Maybe yes, maybe not...

Bollocks… I know women in my neighbourhood that look worse than that who have a (seemingly) good bloke.

I worked with a girl who you could just describe as the typical feminist. Short hair, short stature, chubby, horrible attitude… Some bloke got her pregnant at 30+…

Pal, you need to accept that no matter how bad a girl looks and shitty of an attitude she has, there are LOADS of blokes out there who’d just take it as long as they get pussy. It’s pathetic.

nush

Pal, you need to accept that no matter how bad a girl looks and shitty of an attitude she has, there are LOADS of blokes out there who’d just take it as long as they get pussy. It’s pathetic.

Go to any supermarket on a Saturday and see this in action with 2-3 kids in tow.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
A for effort though lmao.
To bad you can't make up, pun intended, your personality. TikTok wh#re.

Don't get me wrong I love woman who make an effort. But come on ...

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Bollocks… I know women in my neighbourhood that look worse than that who have a (seemingly) good bloke.

I worked with a girl who you could just describe as the typical feminist. Short hair, short stature, chubby, horrible attitude… Some bloke got her pregnant at 30+…

The image I posted was a joke.

The only thing I would ask a girl is not to lie, not to betray me and not to steal from me.

The rest is second nature

oohhh.... And I don't want single mothers or mothers with children.

Top Bottom