• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Dave Bautista an actor?

Bautista-

• Total voters

DKehoe

Because he wants to be?

He’s not incredible by any means but I’ve enjoyed stuff he’s been in. His role in Blade Runner 2049 was fairly small but I remember thinking he was good in that. And he’s spoken about wanting to push himself outside of the sorts of typical, shallow roles people might expect of him.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
He is an actor because it pays better than wrestling and is overall less physical. I think he is good as DRAX. Overall though I don't care for him. He felt out of place in Glass onion.

Jaybe

I ask myself the same question about John David Washington. Guy is just terrible in Tenet and Amsterdam. Too bad he couldn’t make it in football and save us from cinematic sleep-aid in human form.

Liljagare

I like to be entertained, and never actually seen him in a bad movie, he takes his job seriously, can't fault him.

I like him, Cena and the Rock alot better than quite a few other actors actually.

You know it's going to be a good evening if you are sitting down to watch a movie with them. Decent popcorn flicks, there are too few nowadays imho.

Nobody has really replaced Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill, Smoky and the bandit and the ilk yet.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I think hes pretty good. I think its just that hes massive and he stands out that people think he plays the same thing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its hard to take wresters serious because at first glance they are giant dudes who will overshadow everyone else on screen. And their background is being loud and giving people body slams. Bautista seemed to be fine in his role in Blade Runner.

The Rock is different. I havent seen all his movies, but it seems the roles he plays in movies is basically a wrestler but with a hollywood script. So for him WWE = Hollywood almost to a tee which is cheesy fun acting ad beating the shit out of people or big action scenes.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Your thread title says "why is he am actor". The question you pose in the thread seems more about of people like his acting etc.

For your first question. Why is he an actor. I would say cause it pays more than wresting and less chance of cte

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
he is a decent actor , also he did not want to continue doing this................

GenerousMiniatureAkitainu-size_restricted.gif

I really like him. He's very self-aware and has been working hard to get better at his acting and it shows. I can't help but root for him and look forward to seeing him in more serious roles. Blade Runner 2049 convinced me he has the potential.

He's hilarious. Love the guy in the few roles I've seen him in.

I think wrestlers have made pretty good actors all around. It doesn't hurt that they look like action figures.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I think he’s one of today’s better actors, and has proven he can perform well in any role, serious, comedy, action (obviously), he’s got enough charm to be the good guy, and due to his physique can easily play the bad guy.

He’s not one of those actors where you say, hey that just Tom Cruise wearing a different hat, or hey that guy changed his body again because he’s absolute shit at acting (Christian Bale)

I like him.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He actually seems like he wants to take it seriously in interviews. More power to him. The fact that he landed the roles in Guardian and Dune is genuinely impressive, so he's beaten out other people now twice for large roles and impressed two good directors.

jakinov

He was acting throughout his wrestling career now he just does it with more clothes playing different t characters.

People don’t dislike him, he’s got a generally positive following, his name is well-known he’s from a popular franchise and he seems eager to work. Seems like he takes what he can get opposed to being someone no one cares for or someone people do care about but instead wants the free time, personal project, or the big pay cheque to work.

being telegenic and able to read and recite a script probably helps, he was fine in Bladerunner and Knives Out 2 but I thought the Drax in GOTG game was better than the film version

BossLackey

Gold Member
As others have said, although he isn't the best actor out there, he's not bad at all and I actually quite liked him in Blade Runner. Plus, he has a good presence about him.

Rock is the wrestler/actor we deserve.

Bautista is the wrestler/actor we need.

Sonik

He's charismatic and his characters are often fun. Not all actors need to be artists or something, for some roles it's more important to be more charismatic and have a certain presence than be a great actor.

Last edited:

Kacho

He's one of the least offensive actors in the world. Totally fine in whatever movie he's in. Not phenomenal, not terrible. He's one of those, "hey it's that guy!" but we actually know who he is.

VN1X

Banned
I'm curious if the general public actually likes this guy and his acting?

people must really enjoy him or else why would hollywood be shoving him down our throats

How much longer will we have to endure this guy on screen
Who you calling general public? :lollipop_worried:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think he’s one of today’s better actors, and has proven he can perform well in any role, serious, comedy, action (obviously), he’s got enough charm to be the good guy, and due to his physique can easily play the bad guy.

He’s not one of those actors where you say, hey that just Tom Cruise wearing a different hat, or hey that guy changed his body again because he’s absolute shit at acting (Christian Bale)

I like him.
This isn't the shit take olympics.

NinjaBoiX

I dunno man, he’s fairly solid from what I’ve seen? He’s not astonishing or anything, but I’ve never seen a performance from him that had me rolling my eyes.

Yet you pose the question as if he’s clearly incapable?

Your post comes across bad salty bro, not gonna lie. “Rammed down our throats”, 🙄

Hugare

Easily the best wrestler to turn actor. Though Cena isn’t bad either.
Exactly

The Rock does the same thing he was doing in wrestling. Bautista actualy try drama, horror and etc. He is way more versatile, and pretty good in everything he does.

Cena is ok, I guess. But also never leaves his comfort zone.

Top Bottom