• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is a such a storied IP like Lord of The Rings being treated with such disrespect lately?

LordCBH

I don’t understand why we can’t get a AAA big budget open world Middle-Earth RPG. The setting is fucking RIPE for that shit and we keep getting everything BUT that.

swaffles23

I thought the same thing watching that trailer during the show.

Christopher Tokien was the protector of his dad's work and he died in 2020. They are gonna bastardize the shit out of LOTR

Kamina

Golden Boy
Three words.

Rings Of Power.

It opened the floodgates of excrement.
Shakespearian level expression

Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

Stuart360

What i find more interesting is why arent all the big studios in for these games?, because i seriously cant believe some of these small publishers could outbid them for the rights.

I mean could you imagine a Elder Scrolls style open world RPG set in the universe?, bed wetting stuff.

Dr_Ifto

The IP hits open domain in 20 years, and the new IP owners want to get as much as they can as quick as they can. the Tolkein family solid it I beleive a few years ago.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Because Christopher Tolkien (JRR's son) died three years ago, and he was the only one standing in the way of every last scrap of IP being sold to the highest bidder.
So true. He didn't whore off his father's work and at times I disliked him for it (I really wanted a Silmarillion adaptation of some sort) but now I respect his decisions. The Tolkien Estate will be desperate to claw in money over the next couple decades before LOTR becomes public domain. I don't know if they can do something to stop it entering the public domain but 20-30 years from now we could be getting LOTR content from all sides.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The IP hits open domain in 20 years, and the new IP owners want to get as much as they can as quick as they can. the Tolkein family solid it I beleive a few years ago.
I thought that was just the rights to the movies or some shit? They don't own all of Middle Earth content do they?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think there is a much better chance of getting a quality LOTR property after it hits PD than we do now. But, who even knows if I will be alive in 20 years.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It’s like Warhammer now. Theyll let anybody fart out a low budget mess. Doesn’t Embracer own the rights?

Same reason we got so many bad Spider-Man games for years and Bond games after Goldeneye.

Money.

People want cheap and fast money, so they greenlight things with the hopes of an easy cash-in, but time and time again we see that if you give these franchises the love and resources that they deserve, the return is almost always substantial.

You give Spider-Man to a competent studio like Insomniac and we immediately get the best spider-man game of all time.

We should EASILY be able to get an amazign Star Trek game... but here we are...

Drizzlehell

Banned
As far as I know current owners of the Tolkien estate or whatever don't give a shit about artistic integrity and probably just wanna cash in. Quality isn't as much of a priority when Jeff Bezos money is on the table.

LOTR is getting 5 new games by March 2024. And by the looks of it, each one of them is trying to be worse than the previous.

First Gollum. One of the worst games made in years. Straight out of the PS2 era.

Now this shit. LOTR: Return to Moria, which, I guarantee you, will be only marginally better than Gollum.

What will the other 3 be? Do we know?

ttsL2Fa.jpg

8cJW6Ip.jpg
What the hell is this
mjlol.png
Seriously what the fuck
why.png

This is Lord of The Rings. Deserves more respect. This is a current-gen exclusive by the way.

Get some noteworthy devs on it, give it a real budget. Cancel this trash, its probably going to cost $70 too.

You'd think that with an IP like this, one that lends itself and translates so perfectly to the gaming medium... We'd get a real, high budget, AAA RPG or something. So much potential for good games.

But nope. We get this.

XPpdTHJ.jpg

Why is this IP getting treated with such disrespect as of late? Thats all I can call it at this point.
Bloodsuckers with zero respect for the richness and authenticity of the IP. All they see is $$$ and extracting as much blood from the modern consumer. Oh how they served up a modern pile of bastardized trash for the tastes of the modern consumer a la Rings of Power.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bloodsuckers with zero respect for the richness and authenticity of the IP. All they see is $$$ and extracting as much blood from the modern consumer. Oh how they served up a modern pile of bastardized trash for the tastes of the modern consumer a la Rings of Power.
Hot steamy ripe shit, that show. I'm judging, you people that support it. Judging!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I feel like the last good LotR game was War in the North. It made sense from a Lore perspective. Like Shadow of Wardor 1 and 2 could be fun games but I don't think they fit in with the lore all that much.

Top Bottom