• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is a such a storied IP like Lord of The Rings being treated with such disrespect lately?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
LOTR is getting 5 new games by March 2024. And by the looks of it, each one of them is trying to be worse than the previous.

First Gollum. One of the worst games made in years. Straight out of the PS2 era.

Now this shit. LOTR: Return to Moria, which, I guarantee you, will be only marginally better than Gollum.

What will the other 3 be? Do we know?

ttsL2Fa.jpg

8cJW6Ip.jpg
What the hell is this
mjlol.png
Seriously what the fuck
why.png

This is Lord of The Rings. Deserves more respect. This is a current-gen exclusive by the way.

Get some noteworthy devs on it, give it a real budget. Cancel this trash, its probably going to cost $70 too.

You'd think that with an IP like this, one that lends itself and translates so perfectly to the gaming medium... We'd get a real, high budget, AAA RPG or something. So much potential for good games.

But nope. We get this.

XPpdTHJ.jpg

Why is this IP getting treated with such disrespect as of late? Thats all I can call it at this point.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Three words.

Rings Of Power.

It opened the floodgates of excrement.
At least that took pride in visuals. At the very least it was pretty to look at, and had other worldly production values for a TV show.

On the gaming front we're talking all-time bad games being put out with zero redeeming qualities. I feel they just dont give a single fuck about games.

Last edited:
I actually like the Gollum game except for the technical issues.

But I'm guessing garbage like Rings of Power as well as other LOTR Expanded Universe media passes nowadays is because Christopher Tolkien is gone.

I heard he was very strict about what was okay and what wasn't and he really didn't even care for the movies which are considered modern day classics.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Pretty much what I said above. The Tolkien Estate just doesn't seem to care anymore but if Christopher Tolkien were still alive you probably wouldn't see any of these games and probably not even a Shadows of Mordor/War.
Yep, im surprised we even got the movie game adaptations

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Because Christopher Tolkien (JRR's son) died three years ago, and he was the only one standing in the way of every last scrap of IP being sold to the highest bidder.

This. The Tolkien estate don't care about respecting their relatives lifework. They only care about milking it for as much money as possible. They'll sign off on anything as long as the cheque is large enough.

GenericUser

LOTR is getting 5 new games by March 2024. And by the looks of it, each one of them is trying to be worse than the previous.

First Gollum. One of the worst games made in years. Straight out of the PS2 era.

Now this shit. LOTR: Return to Moria, which, I guarantee you, will be only marginally better than Gollum.

ttsL2Fa.jpg

8cJW6Ip.jpg
What the hell is this
mjlol.png
Seriously what the fuck
why.png

This is Lord of The Rings. Deserves more respect. This is a current-gen exclusive by the way.

Get some noteworthy devs on it, give it a real budget. Cancel this trash, its probably going to cost $70 too.

You'd think that with an IP like this, one that lends itself and translates so perfectly to the gaming medium... We'd get a real, high budget, AAA RPG or something. So much potential for good games.

But nope. We get this.

XPpdTHJ.jpg

Why is this IP getting treated with such disrespect as of late? Thats all I can call it at this point.
I thought the same thing. It's one of the few film licenses that I think could really work well in videogames but they hurl up trash like Gollum. I don't understand that, makes no sense.

Last edited:
LOTR is getting 5 new games by March 2024.

One of them is a new MMO.

Check out Shadow of Mordor 1 and 2.

I won’t judge this Moria game until reviews and more gameplay videos come out. The only thing I can notice about it is that it looks AA quality, not AAA.

Cyberpunkd

Yep, im surprised we even got the movie game adaptations
These are related to LotR licence which was sold by Tolkien himself towards the end of his life, the estate did not have any influence there. Same as with all other games coming out, as long as it relates to the period and general themes of LotR it never required the approval of the Estate.

The Rings of Power were created solely from the appendices in LotR, and the rest invented, all of this falling into the LotR licence and this not requiring consent from the Estate.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
One of them is a new MMO.

Check out Shadow of Mordor 1 and 2.

I won’t judge this Moria game until reviews and more gameplay videos come out. The only thing I can notice about it is that it looks AA quality, not AAA.

Mordor 1 and 2 are fun *games*, but they are absolutely insulting *LotR* games.

OT:
The franchise is being mishandeled by people who care more about money than by making a quality piece of entertainment. Rings of Power is a slacktivists wet dream. MTG openly race changed numerous characters, Gollum is one of the worst games in years, and now we have this drek.

I would rather the franchise be dead and buried than get mediocre/insulting trash like this.

MTG openly race changed numerous characters
I couldn't believe this was serious when I saw it which was the black Aragorn for starters.

If people don't believe there's a woke culture I can't find much better proof than this. Funny enough these same people who decide this shit and/or okay with it are the ones that complain about cultural appropriation. Go figure.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I couldn't believe this was serious when I saw it which was the black Aragorn for starters.

If people don't believe there's a woke culture I can't find much better proof than this. Funny enough these same people who decide this shit and/or okay with it are the ones that complain about cultural appropriation. Go figure.

I often see "Race isn't a part of his character!" Except it is. Everything in Middle Earth is so meticulously laid out. Race, regions, nations, locations - all of it is integral to each and every character in the franchise. There are plenty of black/asian characters in the various books they could have used that would make for amazing cards.

Instead they show their ignorance of the subject matter and change something so integral to Aragorn. That would be akin to making T'Challa a white male.

Mordor 1 and 2 are fun *games*, but they are absolutely insulting *LotR* games.
I suppose. The cold truth is that there aren’t really many options when it comes to LotR games, let alone AAA ones. If I’m starving and might have wanted a burger, but someone hands me a really good fully sized pizza, I’m not going to slap that pizza away and be picky about my options. There weren’t many options in the first place.

I often see "Race isn't a part of his character!" Except it is. Everything in Middle Earth is so meticulously laid out. Race, regions, nations, locations - all of it is integral to each and every character in the franchise. There are plenty of black/asian characters in the various books they could have used that would make for amazing cards.

Instead they show their ignorance of the subject matter and change something so integral to Aragorn. That would be akin to making T'Challa a white male.
Middle Earth and Lord of the Rings in general was all based off of European mythology and culture. To start race swapping characters is pretty much going against part of what makes the stories what they are.

Your analogy about T'Challah is spot on.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I suppose. The cold truth is that there aren’t really many options when it comes to LotR games, let alone AAA ones. If I’m starving and might have wanted a burger, but someone hands me a really good fully sized pizza, I’m not going to slap that pizza away and be picky about my options. There weren’t many options in the first place.

I would say there are plenty of great LotR games - they just aren't modern ones. The 6th Generation Movie Tie-Ins are honestly legit fun. They take some liberties, but aren't insulting about it.

Then you have the Battle for Middle Earth games which are still some of the best console RTS games of all time during the 7th Gen.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Middle Earth and Lord of the Rings in general was all based off of European mythology and culture. To start race swapping characters is pretty much going against part of what makes the stories what they are.

Your analogy about T'Challah is spot on.

Exactly. And the thing is, Tolkein *did* expand upon Middle Earth. He introduced locations that mimick the African/Eastern nations with thier own unique stories, characters, and events. They were wonderful and engaging! Why not use these instead of forcing race changes?

Robb

Gold Member
The IP seems to just be licensed to anyone who wants to use it without any form of quality assurance whatsoever.

Hopefully at least 1 of the 5 games will be something worthwhile.

I wish the Cthulhu Mythos would get an AAA game. Granted, I think the official Call of Cthulhu game was pretty good but it wasn't exactly AAA. It's another intellectual property that's kind of neglected.

Look at more Warhammer 40,000 today. It used to be a lot of low budget games but now they're really upping the ante and we're getting some high quality Wh40k games.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Everyone has already said it; the Tolkien estate is in shambles, the legacy continues to come tumbling down due to a quick buck.

Edit: Seems like there's more to the story.

Last edited:

Banned
it's becoming the new Warhammer, the license is seemingly handed out like free candy on Halloween to whomever comes knocking on the door.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

ttsL2Fa.jpg

8cJW6Ip.jpg
What the hell is this
mjlol.png
Seriously what the fuck
why.png

But nope. We get this.

XPpdTHJ.jpg

they have to make sure it works on PC

it's becoming the new Warhammer, the license is seemingly handed out like free candy on Halloween to whomever comes knocking on the door.
True but at least with Warhammer 40,000 it seems things are changing for the better. We're getting better quality games where it used to be a lot of low budget and mediocre games. I think Games Workshop is getting a little bit more fussier about the quality which of course is a good thing.

The Tolkien Estate without Christopher Tolkien is a different story and unfortunately they don't seem to care anymore.

old-parts

It's a tricky balancing act, I think Tokien is difficult to adapt to other mediums compared to others, look at Warhammer which was heavily inspired by Tolkien but with a focus on conflict, this makes adapting to games a lot easier.

Low budget Tolkien games can work but the devs really need to know their stuff and what they can limit themselves to, the Gollum devs failed at this.

The Moria game is a well know formula of similar games that already exist but whether the Tolkien license is enough to entice people is hard to say.

There have been poor quality Tolkien universe games over the past 30 years, recent ones are not unique other than the licensing control has become more lax.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Tolkien deserves respect, OP.

His franchise stopped being his when he left this world and the strung up marionette wearing it's name is deserving of neither respect, or money.

Edit: I did nearly piss myself upon realizing that they're truly putting out another Bob the Builder ass looking pseudo-PS2 game about some bullshit mentioned in passing in the Trilogy.

There had better be my Grima Wormtongue tactical stealth game coming up.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Fucking depressing when you think about it. The family should be ashamed of themselves.
At the risk of disagreeing with myself… yes, but also no.

The big thing the Tolkien estate did was sell rights to elements beyond LotR (i.e. The Silmarillion) for Rings of Power. But when Bezos rocks up an offers you a quarter of a billion dollars AND lets you dictate the scope of the product, how many of us would really refuse?

It was JRR himself who sold off the rights to LOTR-derivative media.

Nestunt

Because the Tolkien estate don't care.

I mean, they are too high and mighty and regard anything else besides the books to be "low art". So, they don't engage with it besides the money.

The consequence is that we get an exploitation of the IP without an high level of curatorship from the people who should properly shepherd it.

Success

I am on the other side of the equation.

Now I want to see how many trainwreck Lord of the Ring games are going to be released and when it will end.

It is such an interesting inflection point in gaming culture.

Kurotri

It really sucks. Harry Potter and Star Wars are treated relatively well (Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor) nowadays, but LOTR seems to be cursed.

Lunarorbit

They also sold the rights to embracer group, which has shown a remarkable ability to buy IP and then have one of their 300 teams make vaporware or just garbage.

SirTerry-T

I wish the Cthulhu Mythos would get an AAA game. Granted, I think the official Call of Cthulhu game was pretty good but it wasn't exactly AAA. It's another intellectual property that's kind of neglected.

Look at more Warhammer 40,000 today. It used to be a lot of low budget games but now they're really upping the ante and we're getting some high quality Wh40k games.
There was an adaptation of Fantasy Flight Games "Mansions Of Madness" a few years back.

It was shite.

Top Bottom