• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why iOS Rocks (2015 Edition) - iOS Gaming at its finest [Image heavy!]

BTA

No mention of Lifeline? It has its issues (and the sequel, which I still haven't finished, didn't click with me as much), but it was a pretty neat experience and all 3 games in that series came out this year.

ViciousDS

Banned
there is no way I would be able to pull off that downwell gif on a touch screen lol.

But I do miss iOS after switching to my LG V10.....android has come a long way from the older days but it seems pirating is still a big retractor for some publishers and the software......but not as bad as the 2.0 days lol.

Now I want my iPhone back......damn You OP!!!!

HotHamBoy

Solforge! Best F2P card game, period. Not a 2015 release but they did just do a massive rebalance they really shook up the meta.

Oh, hey, you don't have Dominion on there. Client just came out.

RM8

there is no way I would be able to pull off that downwell gif on a touch screen lol.

But I do miss iOS after switching to my LG V10.....android has come a long way from the older days but it seems pirating is still a big retractor for some publishers and the software......but not as bad as the 2.0 days lol.

Now I want my iPhone back......damn You OP!!!!
Buy a new iPod Touch :p That's what I plan to do - I want to go back to Android, but buying an iPod Touch for games.

Forgot about those. Will definitely add them later today

As far as RPGs go, I'd consider adding: Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VI and Chaos Rings III. edit: If you want to narrow it down to one DQ game, I'd recommend V, as many consider it the best in the series.

Other than that, great OP. 2015 was a great year for mobile gaming.

Wow I didn't know there were so many quality games on ios, I always see the free2play crap in the store.
Yeah, there are hundreds and hundreds. New games every week. You should check out the monthly threads; we have impressions and recommendations in the OTs and highlight the quality releases that come out every month

December releases alone, there are 15 games that'll be highlighted in next month's OT

Random question: any of these games have demos?
Very few games have Lite versions nowadays, unfortunately

Aside from the typical F2P model, either you have free games that offer some of the levels for free and then you can unlock the whole game with an in-app purchase
- Artifical Defense, Nubs' Adventure, Test Chamber

Or you have free games that offer all the content, but feature a premium version IAP that removes ads or lets you use checkpoints and unlocks other features
- Beneath The Lighthouse, Does Not Commute, Euclidea, Happy Wheels, Rust Bucket, Subterfuge

StuffRuff

Great OP, thanks!

Also I can't believe I'm only just finding out about Pixel Dungeon being available on iOS!! Played the hell out of that game in my Android days.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
ColorfulDrearyHermitcrab.gif

This reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it. /s

A lot of the games here are on sale at the moment: Here are some. The bolded are my favorites and must-plays, although all of them are good

Xenowerk - $.99
Grim Fandango Remastered - $2.99
Power Hover - $1.99
Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch - $1.99
Galactic Keep - $2.99
This War of Mine - $4.99
Tetrobot and Co. - $.99
Alto's Adventure - $.99
Agent A - $.99
Wizards and Wagons - $1.99
Lara Croft GO - $1.99
Don't Starve: Pocket Edition - $2.99
Transistor - $2.99
Prune - $2.99
Card Crawl - $.99
AirAttack 2 - $.99
Space Age - $.99
Door Kickers - $1.99
HoPiKo - $1.99
Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon - $1.99
Divide By Sheep - $0.99
To-Fu Fury - $0.99
Tales From Deep Space - $1.99

RPS37

Grabbed Happy Wheels, Nubs' Adventure, Zengrams, Downwell, and Shadowmatic.
Happy Wheels was hilarious. Nubs...I'm not sure about the controls on my 6+
Zengrams seems super hard. Got stuck on level 11/70. Haven't really tried Downwell or Shadowmatic yet.

Grabbed Happy Wheels, Nubs' Adventure, Zengrams, Downwell, and Shadowmatic.
Happy Wheels was hilarious. Nubs...I'm not sure about the controls on my 6+
Zengrams seems super hard. Got stuck on level 11/70. Haven't really tried Downwell or Shadowmatic yet.
Oh, yeah, Zengrams doesn't mess around. The limited moves really make what could have relatively easy into one hell of a challenging puzzler. I love how seamless the whole blending/dividing mechanic works too

RM8

I think this year's update for Kero Blaster (originally released last year) deserves a mention :p The best game on iOS IMHO.

Thinking of getting Space Age and Space Marshals. Thoughts? Also, how can I find discounted games?
Space Marshals is great. A polished dual stick shooter that features a level of strategy and tactics not often seen in the genre. Stealth and flanking is as critical to survival as precise aim and powerful weapons. And the post-release content only made a great game ever better

Just the fact that you can aim without shooting and can cancel your shots tell you that this isn't your typical dual-stuck shooter. Stealth is a tool in your arsenal rather than the focus, allowing you to flank enemies, get critical hits, trick enemies into grouping up to take them out with grenades. The controls are tight, allowing you to seamless crouch and move into cover or swap guns.

And the devs added a lot of content post-release. Two extra chapters, with new levels and enemies, etc.

RowdyReverb

I'm considering buying a MFi controller. What are some good games that really make use of the controller? I was thinking of getting Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but surely there are more than just remakes and rereleases

RPS37

Nubs is legit! Of the four games I downloaded the other day, it's definitely my favorite.
The music is great, the graphics and platforming are also really good too.
I just wish the d pad was in a slightly better position.

inner-G

Banned
I'm considering buying a MFi controller. What are some good games that really make use of the controller? I was thinking of getting Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but surely there are more than just remakes and rereleases
GTAs, Geometry Wars 3, Oceanhorn , Racing games

The new HORIPAD Ultimate controller is pretty legit

I got that Word-squared game and it was really fun while it lasted, but it's business model is really annoying. Some levels begin with a few letters already locked in place. Those levels are great.

But some start with no letter locked in place, and they require a TON of trial and error to solve. You can usually figure out which letters belong in the diagonal slots, but not which specific letter goes in which specific slot. And when you get to the 4x4 puzzles there can be a dozen different words you can fill in for one letter in one position, and if none of them work you move onto another position and try another dozen words.

Of course you can buy "hints" via IAP to reveal letters. It feels like every puzzle should start with a couple letters locked and the ones that don't are a ploy to get you to spend money.

Basically imagine a sudoku game that starts completely blank and lets you pay to reveal a few numbers at the beginning. Really a shame since the concept is really fun.

Air

Banned
Any recommendations for something like a puzzle bobble (bust a move) sans angry birds themed?

I like games I can pick up and put down or that I can play in short bursts on the train.

RPS37

Made it to the paywall (literally) in Nubs. What I played was already worth a couple dollars. Bought.

Lee N

Membre
Crosspost from the iOS Gaming December thread, but I think the game deserves a mention.

A friend of mine just released an iPhone game called Captain Cowboy that I think GAF might like. It's a bit of a cross between Boulder Dash and Exile, some of you might even get some Spelunky-vibes even though the game isn't procedurally generated - it does have a large open map with many possible routes though.

Code:
Captain Cowboy is a puzzle adventure set in a giant asteroid space maze.

- Explore a huge handcrafted world
- Get lost in your quests for diamonds
- Get back on track with the handy automap
- Find the mysterious exit warp room
- Cross paths with friendly Snorkhogs and dangerous Gnurfs!
- Create avalanches of falling rocks in front of motion sensitive laser turrets
- Explore the underwater caverns with quite impressive water physics
- Visit the secret space station Discotek
- Simulated 8 bit char based videochip using 1008 volumetric parallaxed tiles on screen and a quirky CRT-shader

All in this little one handed portrait puzzle adventure featuring no in-app purchases, no advertising and extra continues are included in the price. And no tutorial! It's just you and the game. Go for it!

Some screenshots:

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

And a trailer for good measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6v45exSOas

Get it on the app store (only $2.99)!

Tizoc

Aside from Paint it back
what other Picross gmes are available on iOS?
Also thinking of getting sone PnC games on iOS for my iPhone 6s plus. Gotta go around and compile a list @_@

Top Bottom