• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Does Nintendo Use Friend Codes Instead Of Screen Names? Leaked Documents Reveal All

jts

...hate me...
Especially when they steal your banana horde and blame it on Kremlins.

Playstation and Xbox do screen names just fine Nintendo.
Didn’t people cry for years that you couldn’t change names on PSN, and when Sony tried to update that it was a painful process. Also it’s paid on Xbox too or something if I’m not mistaken?

That’s one cool thing about the system on the Switch, you can just change your screen name at will free of charge, as it is separate from your unique identifier, the friend code, which is acting essentially the same as a phone number.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
"We can't go with User Names and instead require sending and entering 12 digit friend codes because of our 'Simple Principle'".

How does needing to download a phone app and use it while also gaming on the Switch console for voice chat fit into these "Simple" and "Comfortable" principles?

Last edited:
Didn’t people cry for years that you couldn’t change names on PSN, and when Sony tried to update that it was a painful process. Also it’s paid on Xbox too or something if I’m not mistaken?

That’s one cool thing about the system on the Switch, you can just change your screen name at will free of charge, as it is separate from your unique identifier, the friend code, which is acting essentially the same as a phone number.
I am nintendoacally challenged. I can't memorize my friend code. Phone number is different.

Its easy to memorize a screen name. But I see your point. I wish switch had built in messaging, and voice.

jts

...hate me...
I am nintendoacally challenged. I can't memorize my friend code. Phone number is different.

Its easy to memorize a screen name. But I see your point. I wish switch had built in messaging, and voice.
Yeah, it’s definitely and painfully lacking in the communication department. I also don’t memorize my FC, mind, but I also don’t need to give it often.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why you got to be so fucking retarded nintendo?

Nintendo is like your drunk uncle your mom tells you to avoid. But you are still in the don't know fase.

And then BAM he one the news 👏🤠👏

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
They're correct with one aspect - it's irritating when your preferred screen name is taken. The username is just an arbitrary unique string anyway, might as well use an arbitrary unique number.

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
I wasn't expecting a good answer, but yes this was fucking stupid then

and it's only more fucking stupid the more they continue to use it

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

For years many people speculated it was to protect children online, since Nintendo is family friendly and all that. But I never personally bought that theory, because as a child protection method, it makes no sense. So no we have clear confirmation of the real reason, which lines up with what somebody for Nintendo of Europe said about them viewing friend making online as more of a house party.

I'd still prefer to search for friends by username, but the current Switch implementation isn't the worst, since you still have other ways to add friends and you don't each have to enter the same code to register each other like before. It's more akin to the course ID system in Super Mario Maker. It's not ideal, but it's not the worst thing to deal with.

TLZ

Banned
I don't think some of you get it. But this is the internet trying to be funny as usual.

You either use numbers or names as your unique ID. Of you use names, you're limiting yourself. For example, you can't have more than one John Smith. The next person wanting to use as his unique ID won't be allowed to and will be asked to use a different one, say John Smith1. Which imo looks silly.

Now of you use numbers as your unique ID, which all organizations do because it's an easier identifier, you're then freely allowed to have a million John Smiths, since they can be easily identified by their unique number. For example, you're social security number, your driver license, your car registration, your phone number, and so on. This is what Nintendo has basically done.

Their only problem though, unlike those other orgs, they're actually using the unique number as your public identifier. It's like saying your driver licence or phone number doesn't have a name attached to it. That's how it was in the past and was rather silly. I think they rectified that issue with the Switch (I don't have friends on there so I wouldn't know).

On the other hand, you can have the best of both worlds. You can still use names as unique IDs AND attach public IDs to them. For example, my unique ID is JohnSmith2381, but my public ID, or display name, what other users see, is whatever I choose it to be. It can be John Smith, The Sherminator, zomgzlordz etc. And we can have a million people named just the same no issues, as long as the hidden, or underlying unique ID is, unique, or different, in order to avoid conflicts. This is how PS does it I think. And Twitter. Some others use emails as unique IDs. And so on.

Edit: omg wall of text. Sorry :pie_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Why can't they just copy what the best people do? On Steam you have a name to sign in that is unique to you that no one else sees and then your display name can be literally anything. You even have a code you can give to friends to help them find you still.

Fbh

I doesn't get more Nintendo than this.

Discards other valid options for conflicting with the "simple" and "comfortable" principles, then goes for the one that uses a randomly generated 12-digit code

confused_black_girl_meme_1.jpg_2120446623.jpg

StormCell

There's actually nothing at all wrong with their "friend codes" as that's closer to the industry standard for unique ids. The problem is that they ever expected us to share these with our friends and treat them like addresses or phone numbers that we would give out. Having to rely on these codes to add friends is harsh. I don't know why they don't have a user look-up service but are more than happy to connect you with anyone you know on some other social media platform.

soulbait

PSN was an issue, because they used the username as the unique identifier in the database. Why on earth they decided to do this rather than an id number or GUID is beyond me, but it is what made it so hard for them to change over (at least that is my understanding of it),

As for Xbox, you can change it once, then they would charge you money. This was not because it it really cost them anything to change it, but to prevent people from changing all the time (and of course an additional revenue stream).

MS' database structure was setup correctly, which is why you could change gamertags with no issue, unlike Sony. I still want to know why Sony did it that way. I have been creating login systems for years for various applications and never once did I want to tie the username as the main identifier of the user within the system. It just does not make sense.

Eevee86

I give my friend code out like once a year. Having to pull up the memo on my phone with it is a small price to pay to be able to change my name at any time without a cost attached to it. They also have like six different ways to add friends now, so the outrage over it at this point just seems weird to me.

Last edited:

Bakkus

This is from the same company that thought Wii U was a good name for their console after Wii's reputation had gone down a whole lot and 3DS had already been out for 3 months by the time of it's announcement with reports of name confusion as to what it actually was compared to the DS. Are anyone surprised they are just as dumb in other areas?

I could use my name for Nintendo. When I tried to use the same name in Sony it was already taken, even if that's how I was known elsewhere

Reactions: jts

Iorv3th

Fuck.

Whoever is in charge of this at Nintendo probably got a raise for this shitty presentation and setting things up like this. They went in with no knowledge where drunk and just put some shit together and went with it.

Shaqazooloo

Yeah, this is retarded. Listen Nintendo, all I want is a decent online experience, that's not too much to ask.

Just get someone else to do it please because nobody inside the company knows anything about online or internet apparently.

teezzy

Banned
Eventually people are going to recognize the diminishing returns with Nintendo's refusal to adapt to modern gaming conventions. Their games are good, but not good enough for me to support their ass backwards logic when their competitors are offering comparable products without the headaches. Nintendo lost me because of crap like this.

Keihart

I don't think some of you get it. But this is the internet trying to be funny as usual.

You either use numbers or names as your unique ID. Of you use names, you're limiting yourself. For example, you can't have more than one John Smith. The next person wanting to use as his unique ID won't be allowed to and will be asked to use a different one, say John Smith1. Which imo looks silly.

Now of you use numbers as your unique ID, which all organizations do because it's an easier identifier, you're then freely allowed to have a million John Smiths, since they can be easily identified by their unique number. For example, you're social security number, your driver license, your car registration, your phone number, and so on. This is what Nintendo has basically done.

Their only problem though, unlike those other orgs, they're actually using the unique number as your public identifier. It's like saying your driver licence or phone number doesn't have a name attached to it. That's how it was in the past and was rather silly. I think they rectified that issue with the Switch (I don't have friends on there so I wouldn't know).

On the other hand, you can have the best of both worlds. You can still use names as unique IDs AND attach public IDs to them. For example, my unique ID is JohnSmith2381, but my public ID, or display name, what other users see, is whatever I choose it to be. It can be John Smith, The Sherminator, zomgzlordz etc. And we can have a million people named just the same no issues, as long as the hidden, or underlying unique ID is, unique, or different, in order to avoid conflicts. This is how PS does it I think. And Twitter. Some others use emails as unique IDs. And so on.

TLDR; Yes, Nintendo solution it's stupid and worth to make fun of.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Especially when they steal your banana horde and blame it on Kremlins.

Playstation and Xbox do screen names just fine Nintendo.

Businesses have very weird way to decide on something stupid and obtuse and produce tons of internal “research” that reassured the execs it is the right thing to do.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I can’t wait for the document explaining why Switch voice chat needing to go through a smartphone app makes so much sense for the principles of “Simplicity” and “Comfort”

Cutty Flam

Banned
All we can do is laugh at how incompetent their online and integrated communication is for the online. They could make so much money off of selling microphones, a pricier yearly subscription (assuming they made their online experience actually worth it all around), as well as other incentives. When it comes to online and really taking advantage of how good their games are, and making them even better and more fun with online, they've gone-no, they've been in full dunce mode for the longest time. Stuck in it really. It's pathetic tbh, and I'm a huge fan of Nintendo too

Yes, I call my friends by their driver's licence number every day.

JimboJones

It sucked on Wii and DS, per game basis friend codes good grief, and you both had to input each others code.

At least now it only takes one friend to initiate the friend invite and you have social media integration.

this is how Nintendo views its customers, just a bunch of numbers. Like inmates in a prison LOL

It's no secret Nintendo is run by a bunch of dinosaur boomers who still run the company like a toy company.

Top Bottom