• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do NEW CARS still have CASSETE players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChumsGum

Banned
So I'm reading about features on the Acura TL like voice recognition navigation, bluetooth capable phone controls, etc. However, even with all this technology I see that the center console has a freakin' cassete tape deck. WTF? It's not just Acura, many manufacturers still include tape decks.

DCX

DCX
ChumsGum said:
So I'm reading about features on the Acura TL like voice recognition navigation, bluetooth capable phone controls, etc. However, even with all this technology I see that the center console has a freakin' cassete tape deck. WTF? It's not just Acura, many manufacturers still include tape decks.
Seems very stupid if you ask me.

DCX

Lemurnator said:
I use a tape adapter to use my iRiver in the car... but I'm not driving of course. :/
Yeah, unless they add a direct audio input a tape adapter is the best universal solution. Impossible for me to play live Game Boy sounds through a CD.

xsarien

daedsiluap
aoi tsuki said:
Ironically, after copying a few audio CDs for my aunt, she asked me if i could "burn one to tape".

plusdeck2_00081103c.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/cables/6908/

(Hey, beats running cables.)

Vandiger

ChumsGum said:
Some, like my Honda Element, have an AUX input for my MP3 player, Gameboy, laptop, or whatever.

Yeah, my car has an aux port so I don't have to rely on crappy tape adapters or radio transmitters for my mp3 player, very convient.

ChumsGum said:
Some, like my Honda Element, have an AUX input for my MP3 player, Gameboy, laptop, or whatever.
Did it come with your car? They didn't include any kind of input thing with my precious so is using the FM broadcasting thing a viable alternative?

edit: vandiger, how do you get these aux things after the car has already been bought? I don't want to do any kind of surgery on the car though.

Tarazet

The stupidest thing is that the Acura NSX, an $85,000 supercar, has a cassette player standard and not a CD player. If you needed proof that the damn thing hasn't changed in 13 years, look no further.

ChumsGum

Banned
Hammy said:
Did it come with your car? They didn't include any kind of input thing with my precious so is using the FM broadcasting thing a viable alternative?

edit: vandiger, how do you get these aux things after the car has already been bought? I don't want to do any kind of surgery on the car though.

It comes standard on my car.

large7.jpg

ChumsGum

Banned
sonarrat said:
The stupidest thing is that the Acura NSX, an $85,000 supercar, has a cassette player standard and not a CD player. If you needed proof that the damn thing hasn't changed in 13 years, look no further.

That's very sad.

Tarazet

It's pretty stupid, and it shows you how stingy Honda can be. They still make Accords without air conditioning, Civics without even a cassette player, and you have to get the EX to get ABS on a CR-V or an Element (which I have too, btw, mine's orange). The NSX is probably in its last year of production, and there are no plans for a successor yet...

fart

Savant
the nsx is more of a pure sports car. a stereo is really unnecessary in the first place. you'll note that honda also makes the element. it's more of a market segment and design thing.

Tarazet

fart said:
the nsx is more of a pure sports car. a stereo is really unnecessary in the first place. you'll note that honda also makes the element. it's more of a market segment and design thing.

An $85,000 car with a cassette player is inexcusable, I'm sorry. It would be better if it had no radio at all. As it is, it's just a reminder that it dates from 1989 and hasn't been completely overhauled since.

fart

Savant
i agree that the design is stagnant, but there are much better indicators (eg, the rest of the car)

Tarazet

fart said:
i agree that the design is stagnant, but there are much better indicators (eg, the rest of the car)

Yeah.. definitely. The body is getting kind of old and moldy too, and it's way down on power compared with anything else in its price range. I guess it's still one of the best-handling cars on the planet, but it should have been canceled years ago.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
So long as that cassete player is part of a CD/cassete combo in-deck, more power to them, although usually in the process of doing that they exceed single-DIN size and you have to get an odd-looking adaptor installed to fill the gap that any decent after-market in-deck is going to leave. One thing I think auto manufactuers should start doing is, at the very least, start including a damn input headphone jack on their in-decks for all the iPods, MP3 players, etc in the world. Get with the damn times - it's not like it would cost much to implement.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So I can plug in my ipod.

Drensch

Lots of hotass cars come with oddly crappy interiors and sound systems. That's because they focus on speed, style and handling, not comfort.

Vandiger

My car (MB 2001 E320) had it included w/ the navigation system. I've seen kits where you can add an aux port usually ranging $30-50. Most of them sound easy, basically just plugging in the adapter to the back of the radio drilling some holes in the glove box to thread the wire through or install a jack. If you go to a dealer they'll rip ya off.
I'm sure its available for most cars that have options to add cd changers.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ned Flanders said:
FM transmitter anyone? Sounds about as good as a cassette tape but you can still have a CD player.
The stereo was a hand-me-down and it's a tape deck/cd changer. Musical bliss.

Bog

Junior Ace
sonarrat said:

No, the stupidest thing is that there's an $85,000 Acura.

tedtropy

Bog said:
No, the stupidest thing is that there's an $85,000 Acura.

But what of those who purchase said $85,000 Acura? Gots to leave some breathing room in the whole 'stupidest' thing. :D

Tarazet

Actually, I made a small mistake - the MSRP is actually $89,000. But the invoice is down around $79,000, so the smart customer can save some money that way..

Pimpwerx

Same reason power equipment is still optional. Why make it standard when you can gouge the buyer on options? :( But an $85,000 car should come with every option a $20,000 car comes with. Options for a car that costs that much should be gold plating and ejection seats and shit. Not a Cd player. PEACE.

I just bought a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE. Has the Bose 6 disc changer... and the casette. I thought it was weird too.
But since I'm too lazy to buy or burn my Monster Ballads cassette to disc, I have a use for it.

But it is odd at this time and date.

Ned Flanders said:
FM transmitter anyone? Sounds about as good as a cassette tape but you can still have a CD player.

Not in my market. The FM transmitter was a poor second to tape adapter.

Plus, plenty of cars have tape + CD combo.

The next stereo I buy, I'm looking for a Line In.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I use the tape deck to connect my Iriver. I wish all cars would keep the tape deck OPTION because I love running my iriver on there.

Tarazet

I found some interesting info...

Ferrari 360 Spider

MSRP: $170,834.00
Invoice Price: $158,960.00
Same Year Used Price: $170,800.00
One Year Old Used Price: $169,852.00
Quick Specs

Engines: 3.6-Liters V8 40-Valves DOHC

Horsepower: 400hp @ 8500RPM

Torque: 276lb-ft. @ 4750RPM

Transmissions: 6-speed Manual

Drive Train: Rear Wheel Drive

Tires: P215/45ZR18 (front)
P275/40ZR18 (rear)

Fuel Economy(City/Highway): 11/16 miles per gallon (Manual) 2WD

Range (City/Highway): 277/404 miles with full tank (Manual) 2WD

Warranty: 24 Months/Unlimited Miles Basic Warranty
24 Months/Unlimited Miles Drive Train
24 Months/Unlimited Miles Rust
24 Months/Unlimited Miles Roadside Assistance

...2 year warranty???

tedtropy

Hitman said:
I use the tape deck to connect my Iriver. I wish all cars would keep the tape deck OPTION because I love running my iriver on there.

If they just included a headphone input aux port on the front of the deck, you wouldn't need the bulky low-quality tape adaptor.

Vormund said:
Hmm I don't think you can find a new car in Aus that has a tape deck.

Many come with MP3 capability too.

Yeah I don't think you can get a tape deck these days. Maybe Australia is more technologically advanced then the US :p

tedtropy said:
If they just included a headphone input aux port on the front of the deck, you wouldn't need the bulky low-quality tape adaptor.

Exactly.

ChumsGum

Banned
Looking at the TL features again, it's also got 5.1 surround sound with DTS/DD DVD audio. Yet, a freakin cassete player.

fart

Savant
sonarrat said:
I found some interesting info...

...2 year warranty???
do you have any idea how much parts/labor costs for ferrari work, or how much work they need done? it's IN-FUCKING-SANE. they are true exotics, and a consumer car warranty for them would bankrupt ferrari quite frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom