• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will win a World Cup first?

Well?

• China

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • USA

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Russia

Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
TELEMMGLPICT000166342089_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqUgehH7knIs2mL4LO-crfgorempWLTe02qz9Fy_-wUAM.jpeg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
None of those teams are likely to win a world cup any time soon.

USA and Russia have pretty good teams, but they're a long way off from winning a world cup.

China are miles behind and are currently ranked 77 in the world rankings.

I'm not saying this because I'm bias, but I'd fancy England winning Euro 2021 and the world cup next year.

DKehoe

The US is starting to develop some good players like Pulisic, Reyna and McKennie. So I'd say them out of those three. But it will be difficult when your population's elite level athletes are still more likely to be drawn to other sports.

Last edited:
None of these countries have soccer as the people's main sport.

If you're Argentina or Brazil you have a giant pool to select 11 people from, chance is on their side.

MrS

Banned
USA. Russia always produces mediocre players and Chinese players aren't physical enough to compete.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Soccer is the most popular sport in Russia whereas it’s probably fourth or even worse in the US.

So I’ll go with Russia

The yanks, sadly.

The only reason Russia did ok at the last WC was because of doping and being the host country (which includes all privileges and "preferential treatment" that come with it).

T8SC

The MLS still bring in old, past their best, European players to make their league look better. Until they actually take football (yes football, not soccer) seriously, they won't have a chance.

Russia have often had good teams and could perhaps do a Greece at Euro 2004.

China, unless they can hack the scoreboard or buy the cup, no. South Korea on the other hand, possibly.

*Nightwing

I’d like to say USA, but we have a better chance of making the woman’s game more widely accepted where we already have multiple World Cup wins... far easier task than what we have to face now. We need full teams of quality players not just 2 or 3 if we are lucky at a time. 🇷🇺 +1

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Those countries would have to take things like baseball, fighting etc. off for a night.

Mattyp

Gold Member
If there was the same money in football in the US as NFL, NBA, MLB they would within the decade.

Each year they’re getting better and have more elite players coming through. They’ll get there one day, they are starting to pay a lot more attention to the sport it’s just the public that needs to get behind it so they can have a much larger pool to draw talent from coming up.

The EU need to realise if the US actually gave a fuck they would start knocking off their teams easily within the next 5 years.

Australia is the same boat, the sports we give a shit about we compete easily and managed to be number 1 in the world plenty through the decades. Football just isn’t one of them, as much as I wish it was.

More sports = always better.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
More and more Mexicans/central americans are coming to the usa everyday so it's going to get more and more popular here gotta go with the us

Batiman

Banned
Russia. China and US are still way behind overall. Especially China. The US has made progress recently though.

Porcile

Russia. Assuming they weren't doping, which they probably were unfortunately, they were a great team in Euro 2008. They could've won that competition were it not for Spain. So if they get a great set of players again in the mold of Arshavin, Zhirkov, Pavlyuchenko and a great coach like Hiddink then they can easily go all the way.

Of those 3? Russia. It's the only one with a combination of the infrastructure & base popularity of the sport. Russia (or in the past the USSR) have had decent teams and are producing decent to good talent on a pretty consistent basis.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The USA will have a good team for 2022, by 2026, they could be hardened veterans.

I've got a standing bet from 1998 that the US will win a world Cup before an African country does and I'm comfortable throwing Russia and China into the mix.

fatmarco

As long as you think it just takes money and time, then none of these teams will win. It's not about population, it's about culture, and all three of these countries have terrible cultures to create footballers. Uruguay, Netherlands, Croatia etc. are small countries that consistently produce talent.

To clarify I'm not saying these cultures are bad, they're just bad for producing footballers for varying reasons.

We don't care about soccer at all. Probably not even a Top 5 sport here.
China cares more about ping pong.
Russia cares more about Freestyle and Greco Wrestling.

So whether any of these countries win the world cup or not it won't matter too much for them. It'll be more of a talk around the world then it'll be in that particular country.

fatmarco

We don't care about soccer at all. Probably not even a Top 5 sport here.
China cares more about ping pong.
Russia cares more about Freestyle and Greco Wrestling.

So whether any of these countries win the world cup or not it won't matter too much for them. It'll be more of a talk around the world then it'll be in that particular country.
I mean, that's not really true for Russia and China. They absolutely do care, see their football leagues.

Football is the largest sport in Russia for one. In China, football is far bigger than things like table tennis or badminton. The largest sport in China is basketball followed by football.

Also "Soccer" is actually the 5th top sport in America.

Last edited:
I mean, that's not really true for Russia and China. They absolutely do care, see their football leagues.

Football is the largest sport in Russia for one. In China, football is far bigger than things like table tennis or badminton. The largest sport in China is basketball followed by football.

Also "Soccer" is actually the 5th top sport in America.

It is absolutely true. They may care for soccer, but care more about the sports I mentioned. Ping pong is the number 1 sport in China and someone like Ma Long is a national treasure there.

You don't have to put soccer in quotations. Association football, the naming convention when the sport started, was just abbreviated into soccer in some countries.

USA are the sensible pick with population size and cash investment from grass roots up into sports. But they for some reason prefer other sports over the beautiful game 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom