• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer: The Old World | Time to dust off your miniatures

Who are you going to play with? (up to 2 choices)

• Beastmen Brayherds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chaos Dwarfs

• Daemons of Chaos

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Dark Elves

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Dwarfen Mountain Holds

• Empire of Man

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • High Elf Realms

• Kingdom of Bretonnia

• Lizardmen

• Ogre Kingdoms

• Orc & Goblin Tribes

• Skaven

• Tomb Kings of Khemri

• Vampire Counts

• Warriors of Chaos

• Wood Elf Realms

• Total voters

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The long anticipated return to Warhammer Fantasy’s World of Legend is here

urDPsou51epOX95F.jpg

1) What is it?

Warhammer: The Old World is a new miniature tabletop battle game that is being developed by Games Workshop as a specialty game that uses the same setting as the now-defunct Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
The project was first announced on November 2019, and has been released January 20th of this year.
It is set in the past of the Known World, centuries before the End Times during the Age of Three Emperors when the Empire was fractured between warring Elector Counts. The Old World project is bringing back hundreds of classic models from the rich history of Warhammer!

Warhammer_old_world_map_empire_et_bretonnie.jpg

The Old World was a deep, insanely detailed fantasy setting with a darker tone than most other fantasy worlds in its time.
Games Workshop ended the Fantasy Battles franchise through a series of books called the End Times, which ended in a total apocalypse for the setting via a calamitous chaos invasion. And so the classic lore of the Old World was dead for many years.

Archaon destroyed the Old World, and from the Chaos that ensued, The Mortal Realms (the setting of Age of Sigmar) came into being. This means that The Old World, in a way, is the ancient past of the Age of Sigmar (AOS) universe, and many of the heroes and villains of the AOS have ties to The World That Was, as they call it.

image.png

Archaon

At the heart of the Old World lies the sprawling Empire of Man, founded long ago by Sigmar but long since divided into rival states by centuries of civil war.
West of the Empire is the chivalrous realm of Bretonnia. Throughout the Worlds Edge Mountains in the east to the Grey Mountains that lie between the Empire and Bretonnia is the realm of the Dwarfs.

image.png
FU0j5bKWQAEyceX.png

In the arboreal gloom of the great forest of Athel Loren reside the mysterious Wood Elves, kin to the seafaring High Elves of Ulthuan who, in their arrogance, maintain many colonies and outposts along the coasts of the Old World and appoint themselves custodians over the affairs of Man.
Yet these powerful races and nations do not live alone within the Old World, for they must deal constantly with evil creatures of Chaos and destruction.

All across the Empire and Bretonnia, savage Beastmen Brayherds explode from the depths of twisted and sickened woods. From desolate wildernesses and high moors rush the endless hordes of the Orc and Goblin tribes.
From the distant and arid Land of the Dead come the skeletal legions of the Tomb Kings of Khemri, and from the frozen north march the endless hordes of the Warriors of Chaos.

2016-07-18_1146.jpg
image.png

These core factions battle endlessly. Some seek only death and destruction, others seek to reclaim lands they once ruled, still others seek only to serve their dark masters and overthrow the order imposed upon the world by the civilised races of Men Dwarfs and Elves who, in turn, must march unceasingly to war to protect their realms from the darkness that looms.

The game is set firmly within the Old World itself – the lands between the coast of Bretonnia to the west and the Worlds Edge Mountains to the east – during the decades immediately before the Great War Against Chaos and the Siege of Praag.
Much of the action in the first wave of books and supplements takes place in and around the Border Princes – the barrier lands between the Empire and Orc territory. Accordingly, Games Workshop will be focusing on nine core factions.

image.png
image.png

2) The core Factions

Being a Core Faction means that the faction will be part of the main plot for the game, and that it will get new model releases and that many of its classic model kits will return.
For now, two core sets are available: The Tomb Kings of Khemri and The Kingdom of Bretonnia. Each set include the rulebook and 21 dices. The next factions to be released is The Orc and Goblin Tribes but the set will not include the rulebook this time.

image.png
image.png

Core factions list:
  1. Empire of Man
  2. Dwarfen Mountain Holds
  3. Kingdom of Bretonnia
  4. Wood Elf Realms
  5. High Elf Realms
  6. Orc & Goblin Tribes
  7. Warriors of Chaos
  8. Beastmen Brayherds
  9. Tomb Kings of Khemri
image.png
image.png

At the heart of the Old World lies the sprawling Empire of Man, founded long ago by Sigmar but long since divided into rival states by centuries of civil war.

West of the Empire is the chivalrous realm of Bretonnia. Throughout the Worlds Edge Mountains in the east to the Grey Mountains that lie between the Empire and Bretonnia is the realm of the Dwarfs. In the arboreal gloom of the great forest of Athel Loren reside the mysterious Wood Elves, kin to the seafaring High Elves of Ulthuan who, in their arrogance, maintain many colonies and outposts along the coasts of the Old World and appoint themselves custodians over the affairs of Man.

3) The legacy Factions

Certain factions people remember from Warhammer Fantasy Battles are not part of the narrative of The Old World, but will be provided with rules at the launch of the game.
These legacy faction army lists are available for free as PDFs as a service to fans who have these classic armies on their shelf, so they can still bring them to battle for old times sake. Download the PDFs [HERE]

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

List of legacy Factions:
  1. Dark Elves
  2. Skaven
  3. Vampire Counts
  4. Daemons of Chaos
  5. Ogre Kingdoms
  6. Lizardmen
  7. Chaos Dwarfs
4) Any Gaffer playing this?

I just brought the Box of The Tomb Kings (I mean, 12 days ago but it's still out of stock for now...) and I'm completing my Vampire Counts army with square bases to start playing. I will update this thread with a few pictures once painting is done!
Please share your opinion on The New World and if you have an army, do you plan on converting to play this? And share pictures of your army too!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Originally a 40k ork player, but been eyeing this with interest.

Back in the day I started with Space Marines, but I had fiends who played both 40k and fantasy. Including one that got an interview in white dwarf due to one of this fantasy battles in a tornament.

Essentially he had a halfling hotpot fire across the map killing the enemies vampire count in a single strike of boiling soup, immediately most of the opponents skeletons went poof and they also failed a break roll and flee. Resulting a majority of his army turned into dust or fleeing. The opponent immediately forfitted.

Naturally the idea of a giant pot of boiling soup destroying an entire army of vampires is extremely humorous, so despite only getting to the 2nd bracket he got the interview about his match. Always smile at the memory of that.

if I where to collect fantasy I would go for Skaven... I fell in love with them in Vermintide, but Orcs will do for now.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’ve been thinking about getting into this Warhammer as well as 40k but I don’t have the time. Is there a good YouTube video for its lore though? I use Wes, Leutin, sandman, and major kill for 40k. No idea who is best on the aos stuff

I played the Warhammer pnp rpg back in high school, I don’t recall too much of it other than the massive tome that was the manual.
Never tried the strategy end, but I remember seeing the boxed sets and miniatures at my comic shop.

Cyberpunkd

I’ve been thinking about getting into this Warhammer as well as 40k but I don’t have the time. Is there a good YouTube video for its lore though? I use Wes, Leutin, sandman, and major kill for 40k. No idea who is best on the aos stuff
If you are in it for the role you don’t need to buy a single miniature, stick to books.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

Adeptus Ridiculous podcast is excellent for discussing the various aspects of 40k in a comedic manner.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The real question is has it been "Updated for Modern Audiences"?
From what I've seen, not really. Haven't really noticed any modern sensibility content in the core rulebook. Hell, they still have a unit called Black Orcs.

I'm planning (or rather hoping) to run a Empire / Dwarven allied army. Been trying to figure out what that'd look like.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Warhammer.com still processing

Sans_titre.png

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Checks the Tomb Kings box….

230€…

Found it for 184e on a website called My Hobby Place and they have pretty much everything at -20%:

image.png

I don't know where you live but I'm sure you can find something similar! In fact, I'll probably never order directly from Warhammer.com again. For the price, it comes with the rulebook and a set of 21 dice, which means I paid about 100e for this 1250 point army. It's worth it in my opinion at this price.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My friend found a hobby that in some sort of way (imo) correlates with warhammer sans the lore coloring, game, etc etc lmao. But still.

Tiny shit. I reckon it's like making themed dioramas without a lot that makes a diorama. It's pretty cool tho.

khpvXR3.jpg
vReREoK.jpg
Igr9AvU.jpg

She has a lens and all.

Pretty neat (sorry for offtopic)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
My friend found a hobby that in some sort of way (imo) correlates with warhammer sans the lore coloring, game, etc etc lmao. But still.

Tiny shit. I reckon it's like making themed dioramas without a lot that makes a diorama. It's pretty cool tho.

khpvXR3.jpg
vReREoK.jpg
Igr9AvU.jpg

She has a lens and all.

Pretty neat (sorry for offtopic)
Love it (maybe resize those pictures tho ^^)! I looked for other miniatures to build but didn't find anything really interesting for me.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Love it (maybe resize those pictures tho ^^)! I looked for other miniatures to build but didn't find anything really interesting for me.

Cool! Are they that big? I'm on mobile and use WhatsApp for resize. Sorry. Bro they have so many of these including oned with lighting and all.
Those plants alone costs her 2+ hours. But she's a perfectionist; bitching but proud with it's result lol

Kacho

Definitely gonna paint some Dwarves and read the books.

May try to get my son into Warhammer if he shows an interest.

Kadve

Lets all thank Creative Assembly for Saving Warhammer Fantasy. You know GW wouldn't have brought it back if it weren't for the success of the games.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Lets all thank Creative Assembly for Saving Warhammer Fantasy. You know GW wouldn't have brought it back if it weren't for the success of the games.
Indeed. They even use CA artwork in the rulebook

jason10mm

Gold Member
I loved the RPG back in the day as well. Especially the Troll Hunter dwarves
wkEA1Xt.jpg

3cBCnwl.jpg

Played a 5e campaign with a Dwarf Barbarian heavily inspired by those guys.

NecrosaroIII

Been theorycrafting a 1000 pt army on Old World Builder. How's this look:
===
The Empire Endures [822 pts]
Warhammer: The Old World, Empire of Man
===

++ Characters [421 pts] ++

General of the Empire [361 pts]
- Hand weapon
- Full plate armour
- Pistol
- Imperial Griffon
- Runefang

Priest of Sigmar [60 pts]
- Hand weapon
- Light armour
- On foot

++ Core Units [240 pts] ++

16 State Missile Troops [128 pts]
- Hand weapons
- Handguns
- No armour

14 Veteran State Troops [112 pts]
- Hand weapons
- Light armour
- Drilled

++ Special Units [161 pts] ++

2 Demigryph Knights [65 pts]
- Heavy armour
- Demigryph Preceptor (champion)

6 Pistoliers [96 pts]
- Hand weapons and Brace of pistols
- Heavy armour

[https://old-world-builder.com]

I'm a huge Warhammer 40,000 fan but I know almost nothing about Warhammer Fantasy.

About all I know is that the four Chaos Gods are also in Fantasy/AoS except that there is a fifth Chaos God who is a Skaven Rat God thing.

Oh and that some of the models are cooler looking in Warhammer Fantasy than 40k.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

I'm a huge Warhammer 40,000 fan but I know almost nothing about Warhammer Fantasy.

About all I know is that the four Chaos Gods are also in Fantasy/AoS except that there is a fifth Chaos God who is a Skaven Rat God thing.

Oh and that some of the models are cooler looking in Warhammer Fantasy than 40k.

The Old Ones are in WHF as well. They have a similar story as well.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Why no Grand Cathay? I'd have thought that would have been a money maker for GW.

Also, pissed off Vampire Counts and Skaven are Legendary, meaning no new models or rule books.

Anyway, once the hype has died down and stock is back at normal levels, I'm going with Bretonnia!

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Why no Grand Cathay? I'd have thought that would have been a money maker for GW.

Also, pissed off Vampire Counts and Skaven are Legendary, meaning no new models or rule books.

Anyway, once the hype has died down and stock is back at normal levels, I'm going with Bretonnia!

Vampire Counts just got a whole host of new models in Age of Sigmar while Skaven are hinted at a complete model refresh for fourth edition AOS. My guess is they want enough different in each game to keep players engaged in buying new models, instead of using a single army across all the games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Vampire Counts just got a whole host of new models in Age of Sigmar while Skaven are hinted at a complete model refresh for fourth edition AOS. My guess is they want enough different in each game to keep players engaged in buying new models, instead of using a single army across all the games.

That makes sense I guess. GW want to make as much as possible. Looking at their website, TOW seems to be off to a fantastic start. Everything is mostly sold out! This could be a huge winner for GW.

They're definitely laying groundwork for a Cathay line. There is a lot of Cathay lore in the core rule book

They'd be stupid not to. It would be hugely popular and make a ton of cash. Can't wait to see it!

It's really odd that Warhammer Fantasy never got a proper crpg. I know there's an action role-playing game but it really should get a more traditional crpg treatment.

NecrosaroIII

It's really odd that Warhammer Fantasy never got a proper crpg. I know there's an action role-playing game but it really should get a more traditional crpg treatment.
Probably one will eventually. But at least we got one of the best strategy games ever made with total war

Ra\/en

I have an old High Elves army from ~2000 that I painted when I was 15. They look fine. If they are compatible with this new game, that would be nice.

I was more into 40k back in the day. I had a Space Marine and Tyranid army, and a perpetually 1/4 painted Tau army.

If I'm being realistic, I have not touched any of it in over 18 years. I doubt I will get back into it, but looking at those pictures makes me wish I had the time to.

NecrosaroIII

I have an old High Elves army from ~2000 that I painted when I was 15. They look fine. If they are compatible with this new game, that would be nice.
I think they should be, though they may operate differently than they remember

I used to play and only recently got into Sigmar. Now I prefer that format. Also, not bringing back some of my favourite armies prevents me from getting excited. GW gonna GW.

Top Bottom