• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are your favourite game directors?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mine:

George Kamitani
bIsL7LdWIVw9V46oHJ0PIwZv.png
cgXtr7jrZDKf0Hx2H6MY8HepfpOVuW6e.png

7bc0572fcc83c13164a60b7b3005447c.jpg

Yoko Taro
A6N7IH7.jpg

Shu Takumi
F8cumNe.jpg

Fumito Ueda
i1tol6vga0e51.jpg

Keiichiro Toyama
SLES-01514-A-S.jpg
57214_front.jpg

Gravity-Rush%E2%84%A2-Remastered_20160128014658.jpg

Katsura Hashino
Shin%20Megami%20Tensei%3A%20Nocturne.jpg
ab67706c0000bebbabb34a8cdf227683cdfc60ef

24f493513eca5ce4cc79bb107259feaa.png

Hidetaka Miyazaki
mPY9dn27C28DYnApLMDzhy6ykVQPrgd6L-rRm6XudVQ.jpg
matheus-c-silva-sekiro-fan-art.jpg

RSVR-SONY_DemonsSouls_Teaser_Featured.png

Last edited:

YukiOnna

You listed every single one I was going to list, but with pictures so it's better...

I'd like to add Naoki Yoshida, Yasunori Ichinose for his work on MH Rise, and Hideaki Itsuno.

skit_data

I think it’s crazy to think Hidetaka Miyazaki borrowed Ico from a friend, left his desk job as an accountant and went on to direct some of the best games ever made IMO.

Who would I’ve been if that man didn’t say ”fuck it, I’ll make my own god damn game with dudes laughing creepy and women covering their eyes with wax”

Naked Lunch

Matsuno - FFT, Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story.
Maegawa - Treasure
Kazutoki Kono - Ace Combat series.

Funny how western devs arent recognizable on a name basis at all. They aint got shit on japan sorry.

Handel

Fumito Ueda (Ico, SOTC, The Last Guardian), Yoshiaki Koizumi (Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, Super Mario Galaxy) and Josef Fares (Brothers : A Tale of Two Sons, A Way Out, It Takes Two) are my top favorite developers, as each designs games with unique storytelling techniques that can only be done through the medium of video games.

Koizumi especially is underrated as he isn't in the spotlight as much as the other Nintendo developers, and only started being more a public face with the Switch as he's currently the main executive in charge of overseeing their software planning and development. This man has created amazing entries in both of the most iconic franchises in gaming, arguably the best in each series. Easily one of the GOATs.

4863.jpg

Super-Mario-Galaxy-Wallpaper-05.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is not mandatory but it would good idea if you guys post picture of one or two games your favourite director worked on.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Shigeru Miyamoto (the GOAT)

Yoshiaki Koizumi (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy)

Eiji Aonuma (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess)

Hidemaro Fujibayashi (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, Four Swords, The Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild)

Ryoto Kawade (Paper Mario)

Toshitaka Muramatsu (Paper Mario)

Takahiro Ogi (Paper Mario)

Hironobu Suzuki (Paper Mario)

Toru Osawa (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

Yoichi Yamada (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

Toshio Iwawaki (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 4)

Kenji Kikuchi (Mario Party 1-5)

Masahiro Sakurai (Super Smash Bros series)

Fumito Ueda (Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian)

6dc53becaf9a54eb4f055831d98bff32.jpg

Hidetaka Miyazaki.

I had the amazing privilege of being one of the 1st people in the world too see a live demo of both Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 being physically played at a private showing. It was him and a few team members along with other journalists in the room and of course a translator. This occurred in the year 2014 and 2015. One of my best and most favorite experiences in my career. They also gave us Dark Souls 3 swag in a form of a portal charger for a phone.

I also bumped into him randomly on a bench at E3 2018, at that point he already remembered me and knew who I was.

He didn't speak a lick of English, but all I had to was say "Bloodborne" and then give 2 thumbs up and he smiled at me. Best memory.

Fuck COVID, I probably would of seen Elden Ring by now :/

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
In no particular order:

Hidetaka Miyazaki (Souls/Bloodborne)
Fumito Ueda (Ico/SOTC/TLG)
Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy)
Yuji Horii (Dragon Quest)
Yoko Taro (Drakengard/Nier)
Hideaki Itsuno (DMC/Dragon's Dogma)
Toshihiro Nagoshi (Yakuza)
Hideki Kamiya (RE2/Okami/DMC/Bayonetta)
Akihiro Hino (Dark Cloud/Rogue Galaxy/DQVIII/WKC and many others)
Kazunori Yamauchi (Gran Turismo)
Masashi Tsuboyama (Silent Hill 2)
Keichiro Toyama (Silent Hill/Siren/Gravity Rush)
Gavin Rummery (original Tomb Raider)
Amy henning (Uncharted)
Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, Mateusz Kanik, Sebastian Stępień (The Witcher 3)

Some have more the roles of Designers rather than directors but the roles of directors and designers are often very blurred.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Maybe I'm a dinosaur here, but I don't really follow who was a game director for product A or product B other than the few very recognizable names like Kojima, Miyazaki or Yamauchi.

sublimit

Banned
Maybe I'm a dinosaur here, but I don't really follow who was a game director for product A or product B other than the few very recognizable names like Kojima, Miyazaki or Yamauchi.
From my list the only diectors i didn't knew their names (but loved their work) were the directors of The Witcher 3. Everyone else are creators which i know very well and some i consider legends.

Neff

1. Shigeru Miyamoto
2. Takashi Tezuka
3. Yu Suzuki
4. Shinji Mikami
5. Hideki Kamiya
6. Yoshinori Kitase
7. Fukio Mitsuji
8. Rieko Kodama
9. Hideo Kojima

jigglet

Banned
Miyamoto. He doesn’t direct games now and only just messes shit up as a producer. He was a great director but a meh producer. I was him back in the directors chair and driving his own vision not diluting someone else’s vision.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Kojima and Ueda are up there for sure, but for some reason I really gravitate towards the stuff Suda51 and Swery65 cook up. Oh and Toshihiro Nagoshi for the Yakuza games and Toshihiro Nagoshi for Silent Hill.

brian0057

Banned
  • Clint Hocking for making Far Cry 2 and my favorite game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
  • Warren Spector for the allmighty Deus Ex and System Shock.
  • Mark Pacini for the superb Metroid Prime trilogy.
  • Amy Hennig for the Soul Reaver games (her best work to date).
  • Shiji Mikami for the horror masterpiece that is the Resident Evil 2002 remake.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
maxresdefault.jpg
Yoshiaki Koizumi and Eiji Aonuma are the architects and were heavily involved in Majora’s Mask game design and overall decisions (they spent a lot of time on it) it’s remarkable what they did. They offer a little sense of humor, show-boat, moments, stuff that makes it a great game.

Top Bottom