• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games has been able to mix the old school feeling with the new?

SantaC

I am talking about sequels to classic games or franchises where the developer has tried to incoperate that old school feeling or elements which characterized the franchise blended with new elements. In order words, games that make you feel, this is zelda, and it's great! (etc)

Successful attemps according to me:

Mario 64 - The first Mario in 3D successfuly blended the old mix of mario with a bag of new tricks. The 3D graphics didn't make it any less Mario. A great example.

Zelda OoT - Same as Mario 64 - Another perfect example where classic meets new and it didn't lose it's appeal.

Castlevania SotN - Not only did it mix the good things from Castlevania, but it also improved on the formula in several ways. Approved.

Goemon 64 - Konami did a very good job here. The 3D world screams goemon, and that's the difficult part. The transition from 2D to 3D was great.

Final Fantasy 7 - Not much to say here. The many new elements (3D etc) to the game didn't make it feel any less Final Fantasy.

Resident Evil 4 - Needs no introduction. RE4 resurrected the RE series again. Gone are many of the old RE elements, but it still felt you played RE but improved.

Less than Successful attemps according to me:

Castlevania 64
Castlevania Loi

While both games are decent, (CV64 is actually capturing the CV elements better) they never made you feel that this is the castlevania I want and know. The nostalgia and freshness are never there to wow you.

Goldeneye 2 - EA recently tried to capture the feeling of Rare's classic game, but came up short. (surprise)

Attempts that are good, but still has a alittle bit to go:

Metroid Prime - It's a damn good game, and the 3D world feels metroid, but at the same time some minor things are lacking to make it feel as much Metroid as the immortalized Super Metroid. Close, but not perfect.

Oh yeah, there are many more hit and misses that I forgot, but Let's hear your suggestions. You can also list bad and ok attempts.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Contra Shattered Soldier? That felt very similar to Hard Corps on the Genny (same designer).

Dragmire

Viewtiful Joe - old-school beat-em-up gameplay with twists like slow, fast forward, zoom, and even more new mechanics in VJ2.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - Innovative platformer even without the bongos because of the combo system. But the bongos really hit it home, though. It's the most original side-scroller in ten years.

Metroid Prime - The level design, progression and some of the mechanics were straight from Metroid 3, but it all took place from inside Samus' suit in 3D. Excellent.

Resident Evil 4 felt rather new and different to me. I despised the old RE games and loved RE4. No backtracking, better controls because of the perspective, more shooting gameplay...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As much as I love Super Mario 64, the experience there isn't at all like the 2D ones. The gameplay is totally different. I have no idea how it can be compared to the transition to Ocarina of Time, which just added a third dimension and lots of new features, but the fundamental gameplay was exactly the same. SM64 was a completely different experience but with the superficial elements of the Mario universe, and that's about it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
viewtiful joe
grabbed by the ghoulies
gradius V
gunvalkyrie

Well, if you want some new school games that have all the fun and some of the ideas carried over from way back but updated for contemporary tastes then do yourself a favor and buy Jak 3, Ratchet and Clank: UYA, and Sly 2 as they are all now Greatest Hits.
Although, God of War is worth every penny where it's priced at as well.

ourumov

dark10x said:
Contra Shattered Soldier? That felt very similar to Hard Corps on the Genny (same designer).
I was gonna say that one...Quite probably the most "old skool " game this gen and basically a Hard Corps tribute :)
Music Style, Pacing, Level design...

madara

I have not played a game in long time that had that old school feel to it. Likely the last games I played that did are ones you listed santa. Hate to end on sour note but yeah Metriod Prime has the total opposite feel of what me, my brother and friends loved about metroid and super metroid. I think my casual gaming brother summed it up best when he said, "Dang this feels like a doom game now."

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
Rygar! omg, this is the best game on the ps2.

Gradius (lol)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
SantaCruZer said:
Ninja Gaiden is a successful example.

???? That's a terrible example. The Ninja Gaiden we have today is nothing like that of old. (And what we're left with is quite disappointing in my book.)

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
Hehe. Yeah, Ninja Gaiden was terrible on xbox.

call me crazy, i just dont think that mario 64 or Metroid Prime felt like the originals.

The games that retain the old school feeling the best is the zelda series. The reason for this tho is that Zelda was always free roaming, all 3d gave it was a new camera angle.

SantaCruzer said:
Metroid Prime - It's a damn good game, and the 3D world feels metroid, but at the same time some minor things are lacking to make it feel as much Metroid as the immortalized Super Metroid. Close, but not perfect.

I disagree, can you provide some examples?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Prince of Persia
Viewtiful Joe
Ninja Gaiden
Gradius V
PN03
Contra Shattered Soldier

i'd say Viewtiful Joe affected me the most though. throughout the whole game, I felt like those times in the old days where i was so hyped about a game and it delivered, with me smiling all the way through the game

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
pn03 fits that description better than any game i can think of. viewtiful joe works too...it's more like a 2d devil may cry than an update of classic action platformers. i consider stuff like ninja gaiden purely new school and stuff like shattered soldier purely old school.

D3VI0US

Man you guys forgot the one series I think truly epitomizes that statement Devil May Cry (especially 1 and 3)! While Ninja Gaiden doesn't really do the old school games justice it certainly only pales in comparison to DMC3 but I think is unmatched in enemy AI. Still DMC has been the definitive 3rd person action series for the generation. It set a new standard for the genre much like Mario 64 did and most games have imitated it but lacked the polish and deep gameplay. If I don't see some DMC4 at TGS I'll be pissed, MGS4 can suck it this is my PS3 killer app.

Honorable mentions:

JSRF - a great new style platformer that gets a bad rap from haters cause it's different from the original but I perfer the faster pacing.

ZOE2 - sexy and sophisticated like no other if this doesn't get a next gen sequel then we're all going to miss out on something that could have been truly special.

Monkey Ball series - simple and fun but with plenty of variety and SMB2 has one of the most epic stories known to man. :)

Rez - takes the artform to a new level while paying tribute to old school shooters and gotta love the save the princess throwback.

Guilty Gear series - a different kind of 2D fighter that ups the visual flash and adds new never before seen elements to the genre while staying true to it, that deserves respect.

Megaman Zero series - 2D action platforming perfection this is the definitive Megaman and borrows elements from other 2D classics! I could care less about Rockman Rockman or Irregular Hunter X, this is the series that will decide wether I get a DS or PSP.

Golden Sun - A neat RPG that old school but brings some great new elements to the genre, but for some reason I lost interest and I really need to finish the first one.

War of the Monsters - Rampage meets Smash Bros meets bad fuckin ass game would love to see an online PS3 sequel cause the first one is underrated.

Serious Sam - Run around and shoot crazy shit, doesn't get any more old school than that. Can't wait for part 2 I can hear the screaming guys now! :D

Twisted Metal series - Yeah whatever I'm done thinking of things to say, it's a good game, and if you disagree you can cram it with walnuts.

Top Bottom