• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When I play the Metroid Prime intro I realize how much video games have lost theirway

-shadow-

That sounds like just something wrong with your copy of the game. Freezing isn't a common problem with Metroid Prime.
Actually with the very first print it was. The game would load relatively quickly, but because of this the doors at time would try to open without any data being loaded in causing the game to crash. They actually slowed the loading in later pressings to prevent the crashing.

DangerMan

Banned
Prime 1 remains my all time favorite game, Phendrana Drifts being the best area in video game history. Backtracking was actually enjoyable in that game because I was always excited to re-see areas due to incredible music, art direction, and perfectly performing gameplay.

Madao

well, videogames lost their way because no one cared about the prime series in the first place.

Actually with the very first print it was. The game would load relatively quickly, but because of this the doors at time would try to open without any data being loaded in causing the game to crash. They actually slowed the loading in later pressings to prevent the crashing.

this only happens in 2 places.

also, if you play on a Wii, it never ever happens. it has something to do with the GC's crappy laser build quality (it's funny that the Wii is much better in this area, considering Nintendo went cheap on the Wii's video output)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Tryna jump on that Rocket League bandwagon I see

Metroid, keeping it relevant

I'm glad System Shock 2 has been mentioned, since (disregarding the endgame from The Many and on) SS2 is a masters class in combining sustained tone, breadcrumbing through found artifacts, and witnessing events in real-time to create compelling, gameplay-focused narrative.

As a cautionary tale, though, it's worth noting that System Shock 2 was an important game--not a commercially successful one. In its first year on-market, it sold considerably less than 100k copies (one of them was mine!). While its spiritual successors (Bioshock) did much better commercially, they also abandoned SS2's heavy reliance on the narrative "iceberg effect" in favor of more explicit storytelling approaches.

I myself love the Prime games, but I understand why the more direct storytelling tactics of Other M might have seemed like a market necessity. It's a shame that a better story wasn't part of that product strategy. Not that I wouldn't have preferred another Prime title personally.

Davey Cakes

I didn't mean for this thread to come off as Prime being the end all be all of this type of thing.
Honestly, it didn't come across to me this way.

But this is GAF. If you openly and highly praise something without showing consideration for EVERYTHING ELSE that "does something well" as a video game, you'll be called out and you'll get a lot of knee jerk reactions.

I completely understand where you're coming from, OP. Metroid Prime is just one example of seamless art- and gameplay-driven narrative but it's a damn good one and should serve to inform how video games as interactive entertainment are unlike the other mediums.

Durden77

Honestly, it didn't come across to me this way.

I completely understand where you're coming from, OP. Metroid Prime is just one example of seamless art- and gameplay-driven narrative but it's a damn good one and should serve to inform how video games as interactive entertainment are unlike the other mediums.

Yup, this sums it up very well.

Also, I really need to play System Shock 2.

ReyVGM

That's how I want Zelda U/NX to start: a great setpiece that teaches you the controls without saying anything.

Izayoi

Banned
Oh my god, I fucking love Metroid Prime. MP1 is one of my all-time favorites. The art, the music, the gameplay...

An unarguable masterpiece of game design.

Top Bottom